Thread: Wrestler Buddy Landel

Wrestler Buddy Landel

Details still coming in. Apparently he had been in a car wreck, but then went home, and was later found unresponsive.

http://dailywrestlingnews.com/wrestl...-car-accident/

http://wate.com/2015/06/22/knoxville...el-dies-at-53/
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

Bidmor Guest
    I vaguely recall seeing him on Ted Turner's WCW and wondered why he was copying Flair. Of course Flair copied Nature Boy Buddy Rogers, right down to the robes.

First Dusty Rhodes, now Landel. Those older generation wrestlers usually don't make it to old age. Too bad. They beat their bodies up providing us with fun times, unlike now.

StewartGilliganGriffin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    I vaguely recall seeing him on Ted Turner's WCW and wondered why he was copying Flair. Of course Flair copied Nature Boy Buddy Rogers, right down to the robes.

First Dusty Rhodes, now Landel. Those older generation wrestlers usually don't make it to old age. Too bad. They beat their bodies up providing us with fun times, unlike now.
    Not just that but drug and alcohol abuse was prevalent in the wrestling crowd in those days. Lawler and Piper are the only ones I can think of that are doing really well physically and mentally. I'm sure there are more. Just can't think of em. Jessie Ventura I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by StewartGilliganGriffin View Post
    Just can't think of em. Jessie Ventura I guess.
    Jessie?

Doing well mentally?

RIP, Buddy.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Not just that but drug and alcohol abuse was prevalent in the wrestling crowd in those days. Lawler and Piper are the only ones I can think of that are doing really well physically and mentally. I'm sure there are more. Just can't think of em. Jessie Ventura I guess.
    I'm not sure if Jake The Snake counts but he's had cancer a few times IIRC and is still kicking about and Raven should had died twenty times over but is still here to tell the tale. As for Jerry, I remember watching the Raw where he had the heart attack and it was only later they said he had technically died.

This particular death seems like it probably didn't have anything to do with the "wrestling lifestyle", although I would love it if some more details came out.
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

Quote Originally Posted by Upset View Post
    This particular death seems like it probably didn't have anything to do with the "wrestling lifestyle", although I would love it if some more details came out.
    Yeah, it does make a change. You are so used to hearing the words suicide/OD/ side effects of past use etc when you hear a wrestler dies that you assume that's what it's gonna be when you hear someone has died. I used to watch WCW and WWF around the time he was on but I honestly can't remember him.
    Last edited by Shellie; 06-23-2015 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Spelling.

Quote Originally Posted by shellc View Post
    Yeah, it does make a change. You are so used to hearing the words suicide/OD/ side effects of past use etc when you hear a wrestler dies that you assume that's what it's gonna be when you hear someone has died. I used to watch WCW and WWF around the time he was on but I honestly can't remember him.
    Honestly I always thought of him as a Ric Flair ripoff. LOL I live in Knoxville, and I remember not too many years ago he was doing TV commercials for a used car dealer.
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

Bidmor Guest
    Yep. The Von Erich boys indulged and I recall the Jake Roberts did too and there were many others. I believe the Iron Sheik zombied himself. It's on YT...a great doc on the rise and fall of the Von Erichs and all the drug deaths associated with WCCW when Fritz owned it. Seems the older-timers...wrestlers in their prime during the 1950's and 1960's...didn't do drugs much. Gorilla Monsoon, Bruno Sammartino, Dory Funk Sr, Johnny Valentine, Dick The Bruiser, Fritz Von Erich...those guys when the were in the ring. Seems like the young guns of the 1970's and 1980's gravitated toward chemicals.

StewartGilliganGriffin Guest
    I knew of the Von Erich's but at that time I was in the area where Midsouth Wrestling was the wrestling we saw. Out of Memphis. Jerry Lawler, Bill Dundee, Dutch Mantell, Iron Sheik, Austin Idol, Jimmy "boogie woogie man" Valliant, and so on. The beginning of Rock N Roll Express, Road Warriors, The Andersons. I remember when they had the big unification thing of all the big promotions. Kerry Von Erich out of Texas, Lawler out of Memphis. I think Hulk Hogan and someone else was involved too. I remember Lawler won it. Ahh... Back when Saturday mornings were must watch TV