Thread: Kim Fowley - 75

Kim Fowley - 75

Music producer Kim Fowley - most famous for introducing 15 year old Joan Marie Larkin to Sandy Pesavento and helping them find Cherie Currie and Jacqueline Fuchs (aka Joan Jett, Sandy West, Cherie Currie and Jackie Fox) - thus creating the all-female rock band The Runaways - has died at the age of 75. Having patched up their differences, it was Cherie Currie who cared for him in his last months.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...at-75-20150115

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ford fowley currie.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	175.3 KB 
ID:	52240
    Lita Ford, Fowley and Cherie Currie in 2013

In addition to producing the Runaways first three albums, he also co-wrote "Cherry Bomb" with Joan Jett. Other contributions include songs for the Kiss Destroyer album, as well as "Escape" on Alice Coopers' Welcome To My Nightmare. He also worked with Helen Reddy, The Modern Lovers and Blue Cheer, and co-produced "Alley Oop" for The Hollywood Argyles.

He was the son of film actor Douglas Fowley, probably best known as the frustrated director Roscoe Dexter in Singin' In The Rain.

VCNJ~
    Last edited by VeuveClicquotNJ; 01-15-2015 at 07:14 PM.
    Professional Thread-Killer

Big music agent/producer in the '70s. I remember how he was portrayed in the movie "The Runaways." He was a big influence in helping those girls hit it big as a band (Joan Jett, Cherie Curie, et al.), but was a real jerk to them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kim+...&ved=0CIUBEIke
    Last edited by DesertGypsy; 01-15-2015 at 07:06 PM.

3. 01-16-2015, 02:23 AM

The Runaways were, and still are one of my fave bands... Thanks Kim. RIP.

Wow! R.I.P. Kim. Love the story about his antics during the premier of Desterate Teenage Rubaways (better known as Desperate Teenage Lovedolls thanks to threats from Kim Fowley). What a class act by Cherie to care for him. Interesting sidenote - Michael Steele of The Bangles was in the original lineup of The Runaways but quit because of Kim Fowleys behavior.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

StewartGilliganGriffin Guest
    It's weird. Kim Fowley was accused of raping them and was banned from the premier of the film but now everything seems hunky dory. I believe it was Cherie that accused him? Weird.

Blonde Guest
    Im glad he and Cherie made peace before he died. I cant believe TMZ didn't report on this! When Rodney dies I really hope they at least give him a little print!

Blonde Guest
    Oh oops! My bad! TMZ are running a story......about how Kim wants to be in Girls & Corpses magazine.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Blonde View Post
    Im glad he and Cherie made peace before he died. I cant believe TMZ didn't report on this! When Rodney dies I really hope they at least give him a little print!

Rodney will get print, maybe not from TMZ, but he'll get it. That docu was super depressing to me.

Blonde Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    Rodney will get print, maybe not from TMZ, but he'll get it. That docu was super depressing to me.
    I found it depressing in that he is broke and doesn't get the recognition he deserves but for the rest of it, my jaw was on the floor at the people he knows!

Kim was also involved with B. Bumble and the stingers.

R.I.P
    My profile picture and avatar are pictures of the lovely Agnetha Fältskog from ABBA, not me. I am a man, and an admirer of her. Friend proposers take note!

KatK Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Wow! R.I.P. Kim. Love the story about his antics during the premier of Desterate Teenage Rubaways (better known as Desperate Teenage Lovedolls thanks to threats from Kim Fowley). What a class act by Cherie to care for him. Interesting sidenote - Michael Steele of The Bangles was in the original lineup of The Runaways but quit because of Kim Fowleys behavior.

Cherie took him in for a week as him and his wife were in between places. That is all. Not anything more. His wife took care of him the last few years (Kara) and deserves the recognition. Of course it sells and sounds better to state that Cherie & him made peace and she took him in, but don't believe everything you read. She wasn't even at the funeral yesterday but Joan was. it was a beautiful service

Blonde Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KatK View Post
    Cherie took him in for a week as him and his wife were in between places. That is all. Not anything more. His wife took care of him the last few years (Kara) and deserves the recognition. Of course it sells and sounds better to state that Cherie & him made peace and she took him in, but don't believe everything you read. She wasn't even at the funeral yesterday but Joan was. it was a beautiful service

I was wondering when the funeral would be!! Where did they have it? Did Rodney attend?
    Last edited by Blonde; 01-23-2015 at 05:52 PM.

qulevergrrl Guest
    Love Rodney, not to speak ill of the dead, but wasn't a big fan of Kim's treatment of people. Not rumors. So Cal, small place. If you are in the LGBT community, even smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by qulevergrrl View Post
    Love Rodney, not to speak ill of the dead, but wasn't a big fan of Kim's treatment of people. Not rumors. So Cal, small place. If you are in the LGBT community, even smaller.
    Where there's smoke there's fire and when virtually everyone that had any interaction with him called him an asshole, odds are he was an asshole. Of course being an asshole is part of the punk culture imo. At least back when punk was really punk.

Kim was piece of shit, who lucked out at being in the right place at the right time. I had many interactions with him. He was all about exploiting people for his gain. Last run in with him, he was trying to pressure my buddy's 13 year old daughter into signing a record deal. He was told in no certain terms by her parents that if he called her again, he would be reported to the police and be arrested.

Here is a sad read, Jackie Fox says she was given several quaaludes and then Fowley raped her, in front of a room full of people.

http://highline.huffingtonpost.com/a...he-lost-girls/

Never underestimate the naivete of parents in the 1970s allowing their teenage daughters to travel the world with this pervert.
    Last edited by TheWrath of MadelineKahn; 07-10-2015 at 09:27 AM.
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

In Vickie Blue's documentary Edgeplay: A Film About The Runaways the topic of sexual abuse is talked about, I believe Jackie and some of the others were abused by him. Cherie Currie said if her father knew what was going on, he would have gotten a gun and blown his head off. She later says she hopes someday some one will, that was in 2004. She kissed and made up with him before he died.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Yeah, Joan Jett and Cheri Currie were in the room watching the whole thing, while laughing, and didn't do a damn thing about it and even made jokes about it all after Jackie left the band saying shit like "Kim Fowley fucked her like a dog!". Now they are denying that they were even there and how they would have done something if they were - after a room full of witnesses, including Jackie said they were there. All they were worried about were their careers and knowing they'd better keep their mouths shut. Cherie even "fictionalized" the rape in her Cherry Bomb biography and used a different slant to the story (a groupie - but who was a "willing" participant). And Joan with her fake-ass feminist BS/Anti-rape ("Go Home" video from 1993) all these years, just using it to sell a few records. Totally disgusting.

Yeah I agree - he was a disgusting POS... I believe everything that Jackie says. It makes me REALLY sad because I have always loved Joan Jett - and for her to back pedal to save face really pisses me off. At least she could have used the "I was young and scared" excuse - not a blatant "I wasn't there" lie. Especially when people have said she was there...
    My Posse's On Broadway

At the time I bet most of them barely remembered it. I mean it was the mid 70's in the SoCal punk scene. Like the birth of the SoCal punk scene. I'm sure that shit went on like constantly... especially with a lunatic like Fowley running around. I'm sure Fowley got em all willingly. Not that that's right. I just don't buy the whole rape thing. A room full of people watching their friend get raped? Not likely.

I believe Jackie also. I love Joan and Cherie, but for them to lie about it disgusts me. They were both young and most likely fucked up on drugs or booze, and might have thought their friend was just having sex and not being raped. I would have had much more respect for them if they had said WE were there, " We were young, drunk and not fully aware of what was REALLY happening, we support Jackie 100% and we believe her." Lita Ford said Jackie can be a bit extreme, but she's not a liar.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.