Thread: Sheila Bellush Murder

Mammy Guest

Sheila Bellush Murder

Sheila Bellush was a thirty five year old mother of a set of quadruplets with her second husband and she had two preteen daughters from her first marriage. Her first husband was a wealthy millionaire named Alan Blackthorne. He was very controlling and violent and it took Sheila several years to work up the courage to leave him and take their daughters with her. He was the type who had to have the upper hand and control every situation and their divorce was very bitter and ugly. Even though he was wealthy, he didn't want to have to give her anything. She finally met another man after her divorce and they eventually got married and had a set of quadruplets, three boys and one girl. Sheila, her older daughters, her husband, and their babies all finally moved from Texas to Florida to get away from him. He couldn't stand not knowing where they had moved to and became obsessed with finding them and eventually he did find out where they were. He hatched a plot with a man who he played golf with to track her down and murder her. The friend wasn't interested in actually murdering her, so he knew a young guy named Joey Del Toro who agreed to it. On November 7, 1997, after traveling from Texas to Florida and locating their home, Del Toro broke into their home, shot Sheila in the face and slit her throat, and left the 22 month old quadruplets with their murdered mother for several hours. Sheila's oldest daughter found her mother's body and her baby siblings covered in their mother's blood when she returned home from school in the afternoon. There have been several crime shows about the case and Ann Rule wrote a book about it. Sheila had asked her sister in the event that Sheila was ever killed by Blackthorne, she wanted her sister to contact Ann Rule to write a book about it. Alan Blackthorne has spent the last fourteen years in a federal prison and died just this past week.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Sheila_Bellush

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publics...prison/2207417

She definitely deserved her own thread!! What is so sad is that she attempted to do everything to protect herself and her children.

I think Alan and his dad made their money by inventing the TENS unit. The electrical unit that they use is physical therapy. Now you can buy them at CVS.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SheeBee View Post
    She definitely deserved her own thread!! What is so sad is that she attempted to do everything to protect herself and her children.

I think Alan and his dad made their money by inventing the TENS unit. The electrical unit that they use is physical therapy. Now you can buy them at CVS.
    This case has always bothered me. The thought of her being murdered in front of her babies, the babies being left for hours with their mother's dead body, and her poor older daughter to come home from school and walk into a nightmare. He was just so determined to not let her "win" that he was willing to do anything to feel like he was in control.

I believe you are right about how he became wealthy. I don't know what his cause of death was, but I hope it wasn't easy for him. He sure isn't a loss for society.

Quote Originally Posted by SheeBee View Post

I wonder if that is the same electrical unit that Bruce Lee used to exercise his muscles when he was too busy to actually work out.

I read the book about this case: Every Breath You Take. The two things, aside from her death, that have always haunted me are her premonition of death and those four little babies covered in her blood.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I wonder if that is the same electrical unit that Bruce Lee used to exercise his muscles when he was too busy to actually work out.

I read the book about this case: Every Breath You Take. The two things, aside from her death, that have always haunted me are her premonition of death and those four little babies covered in her blood.
    Her oldest daughter's 911 call was heartbreaking. There's no way to ever get over seeing someone you love in that condition. She seemed to know it was just a matter of time before he killed her. He thought he was so clever and would never be linked back to her murder, but his accomplices were a bunch of self serving idiots.

I wonder what the bastard died from. I hope it was slow.

Yeah I remember reading that book years ago. I believe his invention was the to flex muscles for a work out as cindyt mentioned. He was a piece of work. I'd love to know what happened, too. Probably nothing like what he deserved, tho.

Mammy, you are the best! I was just getting ready to roll up my sleeves since I didn't have anything else to do... A couple of interesting points about this case, if I remember correctly. The step-father (Jamie Bellush) was so angry that Daryl had revealed their location in Florida (having been conned by her father, Allen Blackthorne) that he refused to have anything to do with her. I don't know if that has changed, hopefully he finally figured out just how cunning Blackthorne could be, and took into consideration Daryl's age. Also, Maureen Blackthorne, Allen's wife at the time the murders were committed, was convicted of tax fraud and sentenced to a year in federal prison back in the mid 2000's.
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

Mammy Guest
    Yes, I remember him being very angry at her for telling her Dad where they lived. He left Florida with the quadruplets and moved to New Jersey, I believe, but could be wrong about that. Daryl lived with Sheila's sister and brother-in-law and Stevie stayed with her stepdad and the babies at least for a while afterwards. Her stepdad eventually remarried. Of course, all of the children are grown now. I saw that about Maureen getting in trouble for tax evasion. She and Blackthorne also have two sons together.

I also read in an Ann Rule forum that Jamie Bellush refused to speak with Ann while she was gathering information for her book. She stated that he bad mouthed her book every chance he had, and she didn't have a very good opinion of him. I guess his refusal to cooperate is understandable given the circumstances, beautiful wife murdered, and 4 toddlers to raise (thankfully Stevie was there to help) and the book serving as a reminder of a very tragic time in his life. I haven't researched yet to see if any of Blackthorne's millions went to the Bellush children, but I'm very curious...
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

11. 11-24-2014, 03:04 PM

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangitbawb View Post
    I also read in an Ann Rule forum that Jamie Bellush refused to speak with Ann while she was gathering information for her book. She stated that he bad mouthed her book every chance he had, and she didn't have a very good opinion of him. I guess his refusal to cooperate is understandable given the circumstances, beautiful wife murdered, and 4 toddlers to raise (thankfully Stevie was there to help) and the book serving as a reminder of a very tragic time in his life. I haven't researched yet to see if any of Blackthorne's millions went to the Bellush children, but I'm very curious...
    I haven't read the book, but from reviews of it that I have seen, Ann didn't cut Jamie much slack. She portrayed him as abusive toward Sheila's daughters and somewhat of a bully. I'm also curious what happened to Blackthorne's cash. I'd imagine Maureen and their sons got it after he went to prison. She divorced him after he was convicted, so I would imagine under the circumstances she got that big pink house and the majority of his assets.

From everything I could find, Blackthorne's stock in his company RM Medical were liquidated, a settlement from a wrongful death lawsuit was eventually reached with the surviving 6 Bellush children, but it is confidential. And although it's been many years since I read Ann Rules book, I do seem to remember not liking Jamie Bellush very much, he was probably portrayed as a strict disciplinarian and a bit of a blow-hard. The fact that he ostracized Daryl pretty much confirms that as well, I think. I also remember reading about a motorcyclist Allen ran down and killed on the Florida highway while he was married to Sheila. Sorry, I seem to be reminiscing...
    --William Shakespeare!

Mammy Guest
    From everything I could find, Blackthorne's stock in his company RM Medical were liquidated, a settlement from a wrongful death lawsuit was eventually reached with the surviving 6 Bellush children, but it is confidential. And although it's been many years since I read Ann Rules book, I do seem to remember not liking Jamie Bellush very much, he was probably portrayed as a strict disciplinarian and a bit of a blow-hard. The fact that he ostracized Daryl pretty much confirms that as well, I think. I also remember reading about a motorcyclist Allen ran down and killed on the Florida highway while he was married to Sheila. Sorry, I seem to be reminiscing...
    Like I said, I haven't read the book, but strangely enough I have read the reviews of it on Amazon. It's amazing how much information you can wring out of some of those reviews about any book. I remember reading about both girls being disciplined with belts and it leaving welts and bruising on them. I think Daryl was pretty rebellious and it caused a lot of friction in the household because the stepdad had a short fuse and wasn't tolerant of her behavior. Of course, when she had contact with her father, he encouraged her behavior and would tell her she didn't have to put up with being disciplined. He liked to keep the shit pot stirred just to cause trouble. Some of the commenters also criticized Ann for basically not getting too deeply into Sheila's personality or saying things that cast her in a bad light and accused Ann of sugar coating anything related to Sheila that wasn't complimentary because Sheila had made a special request for Ann to write a book about her. I seem to remember Alan bankrupting Sheila's parents in some con game before he made his fortune and Sheila stuck with him. I remember reading that the girls were given boyish names to make it easier for Alan to use their identities when he got into hot water while they were young. And weren't there two people killed on the motorcycle he ran down? Sheila died in a horrible, brutal manner, but I dislike it when authors try to portray someone as perfect when we all have faults and flaws. Nothing she ever did could justify her gruesome murder. She must have been terrified and she didn't die instantly because her blood was found on the phone where she tried to call for help and collapsed first.

ozzysmom Guest
    http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/justice-for-sheila/

Snippets of crime scene video here....

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    Like I said, I haven't read the book, but strangely enough I have read the reviews of it on Amazon. It's amazing how much information you can wring out of some of those reviews about any book. I remember reading about both girls being disciplined with belts and it leaving welts and bruising on them. I think Daryl was pretty rebellious and it caused a lot of friction in the household because the stepdad had a short fuse and wasn't tolerant of her behavior. Of course, when she had contact with her father, he encouraged her behavior and would tell her she didn't have to put up with being disciplined. He liked to keep the shit pot stirred just to cause trouble. Some of the commenters also criticized Ann for basically not getting too deeply into Sheila's personality or saying things that cast her in a bad light and accused Ann of sugar coating anything related to Sheila that wasn't complimentary because Sheila had made a special request for Ann to write a book about her. I seem to remember Alan bankrupting Sheila's parents in some con game before he made his fortune and Sheila stuck with him. I remember reading that the girls were given boyish names to make it easier for Alan to use their identities when he got into hot water while they were young. And weren't there two people killed on the motorcycle he ran down? Sheila died in a horrible, brutal manner, but I dislike it when authors try to portray someone as perfect when we all have faults and flaws. Nothing she ever did could justify her gruesome murder. She must have been terrified and she didn't die instantly because her blood was found on the phone where she tried to call for help and collapsed first.
    You bring up a very good point about Sheila's personality not being explored enough. Her choice in men certainly comes in to question. I'm sure Ann Rule put whatever slant she needed to push sales, so no surprise there. I don't remember if two people were killed on the motorcycle, but that definitely makes him even more of an SOB, if that's possible! And I wonder what mother would tolerate a man leaving welts and marks as punishment? I also found it strange that both girls had boys names, you cleared that up for me... thanks!
    Last edited by Dangitbawb; 11-24-2014 at 04:54 PM.
    --William Shakespeare!

Mammy Guest
    You bring up a very good point about Sheila's personality not being explored enough. Her choice in men certainly comes in to question. I'm sure Ann Rule put whatever slant she needed to push sales, so no surprise there. I don't remember if two people were killed on the motorcycle, but that definitely makes him even more of an SOB, if that's possible! And I wonder what mother would tolerate a man leaving welts and marks as punishment? I also found it strange that both girls had boys names, you cleared that up for me... thanks!
    I think it's been pretty well documented that Sheila was abusive toward her older daughters, too, but Ann didn't get into anything terribly negative about Sheila. I can understand it up to a point because Sheila was a murder victim who met a terrible end, but she wasn't perfect, she was human like the rest of us. If Ann was going to dig deep into everyone else's personalities, then she should have done so with everyone. I think her judgement was clouded because of Sheila specifically wanting Ann to write a book about her and it made the book much more one sided. I can see why her second husband wasn't fond of the way the book was written. He was strict with her daughters, but she was right there with him. I've never been a fan of death turning someone into a saint instantly.

My God that poor woman ! I had never heard of this case, but I will look for the book at the library. I just read the article on his demise, what a smug looking bastard in the photo ! Whatever he died from I hope it was painful.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    My God that poor woman ! I had never heard of this case, but I will look for the book at the library. I just read the article on his demise, what a smug looking bastard in the photo ! Whatever he died from I hope it was painful.
    I wonder if we'll ever know. I'm hoping someone shanked his sorry ass.

Yes, I wish someone would do that to Tex Watson, I'm surprised that has not happened. Killing a pregnant woman who begged for her life wouldn't go down well with other inmates.

Mammy Guest
    Yes, I wish someone would do that to Tex Watson, I'm surprised that has not happened. Killing a pregnant woman who begged for her life wouldn't go down well with other inmates.
    Someone probably would if they could get to the bastard. I'm sure he is watched and protected closely since he is a high profile prisoner.

Yeah, but I hope someone got to Blackthorne, but I doubt it. They will probably say how he died after an autopsy. Still, I hope he went in agony.. the loser.

Mammy Guest
    Yeah, but I hope someone got to Blackthorne, but I doubt it. They will probably say how he died after an autopsy. Still, I hope he went in agony.. the loser.
    I never did hear it released what Sylvia Brown died from. I hope to know what finally took Blackthorne out. I've never hated anyone enough to go to that much trouble to ruin their life and I even have an ex husband.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    I think it's been pretty well documented that Sheila was abusive toward her older daughters, too, but Ann didn't get into anything terribly negative about Sheila. I can understand it up to a point because Sheila was a murder victim who met a terrible end, but she wasn't perfect, she was human like the rest of us. If Ann was going to dig deep into everyone else's personalities, then she should have done so with everyone. I think her judgement was clouded because of Sheila specifically wanting Ann to write a book about her and it made the book much more one sided. I can see why her second husband wasn't fond of the way the book was written. He was strict with her daughters, but she was right there with him. I've never been a fan of death turning someone into a saint instantly.
    You know, I completely forgot that Sheila was arrested on child abuse charges in San Antonio! If I recall (and my memory is long past it's peak) Allen Blackthorne was behind her getting reported, but I think she got probation.
    --William Shakespeare!

Mammy Guest
    You know, I completely forgot that Sheila was arrested on child abuse charges in San Antonio! If I recall (and my memory is long past it's peak) Allen Blackthorne was behind her getting reported, but I think she got probation.
    Yes, he was using Daryl as a way to cause trouble for Sheila by prodding her into saying she was being abused and having a neighbor take pictures, etc. I seem to recall the girls did have some marks and bruises on them. I have watched crime shows about this case, but my memory needs refreshed on some things.

How terrible that those poor babies were left with their mothers dead body. Ugh I just hate hearing things like that.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by *sarah* View Post
    How terrible that those poor babies were left with their mothers dead body. Ugh I just hate hearing things like that.
    That always bothered me, too. They weren't even two years old at the time. There have been several murders committed in front of little children and then they are left there with their dead parent for hours. I can't imagine what goes through their little minds.

The last I remember, Jamie Bellush lived in Newton, NJ (Sussex County). I lived in Long Valley (Morris County) which is just down the road from Newton. For years I've commuted past a sign for an "R Bellush Realty" in Mendham, NJ and I've always wondered if there was a connection.

VCNJ~
    Professional Thread-Killer

The boys

Joe, Frank, and Tim, taking the oath of Enlistment.

Tim Bellush.

I am reading the book now, that is what made me look up this thread, they didn't actually invent the TENS unit, what they did, Alan bought a bunch of units from China, and renamed them and sold them, his company went bankrupt, it was his dad that remodeled the unit by adding one part inside the unit and started selling them as weight loss equipment, they got in trouble with the FDA, then Alan took them over repackaged them and started selling them as Medical Equipment. I was watching the 48 hours special that someone posted a link to and it just made my skin crawl when they were interviewing Alan, all I kept thinking about was cross dresser, pervert, con man and hired someone to kill his wife. Shelia didn't beat her girls, Daryl and Stevie were pissed that they couldn't get away with things like they could at their dad's, Alan told the girls not to respect their mom, Jamie punished them not beat them.
    Last edited by pkstracy; 11-09-2015 at 07:41 AM.

It's good to see the boys doing well! And all I could find on Blackthorne's death was it was natural causes, so I'm guessing it was a heart attack. I think if he had offed himself it would have made greater news.
    --William Shakespeare!