Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Joan Rivers

The procedure may have killed her but to think her age didn't play a part is naive. Any medical procedure brings about risks and those risks go up with age. Also, I think when you reach 50+ you don't need a history to be at risk for a heart attack, it's a pretty common killer now a days.

Agreed Jason.

they can investigate this thing all they want, the current facts are she went into a medical facility for a procedure she really didn't need and it didn't work out in her favor. She really thought in her head she needed to do all these surgery's to stay in show business when the truth was as a female comedian she could have never had any surgery's and still would have been beloved because of her mind. Would she really have been more popular if her voice was less raspy? She couldn't help herself and it finally did her in unfortunately.

Thought I saw a newspaper blurb about her being concerned about her heart. It was below an interview video and I didn't watch it for obvious reasons.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Benion Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    It is suspected that a second procedure that Joan did not sign for was performed by an an unauthorized doctor, and that this second procedure, which should have been done in a hospital, caused her throat to seize up and cut off her air supply, which triggered her heart attack in addition to respiratory arrest.

This wasn't a heart attack that "just happened to an old person."

The doctor that performed the fatal procedure had also been sued for malpractice over a similar procedure.
    I think the situation is more complex than that.

My theory is that Joan needed 2 procedures doing, a vocal cord evaluation and an upper GI endoscopy. Joan does not want 2 separate procedures and so tells the upper GI doc and the ENT doc to perform both tasks in one procedure. She offers them a lot of money and so they all agree. The ENT doctor has not been authorised to work at the centre, so is there in an official capacity as an "observer" although unofficially may be doing the vocal cord evaluation. Joan's cords go into spasm, probably due to ENT doctor taking the biopsy.

Someone thinks the best way to overcome the laryngospasm is to rapidly up the propofol, or give iv lidocaine. Big mistake, this causes cardiac arrest.

Now there is a real mess. The ENT doctor cannot take the blame as he was not authorised to work at the centre, merely to "observe", and it would be the end for a lot of careers if he took the blame. So GI doctor agrees to take a big pay off and is "fired" to save the reputation of the centre.

Hmmm nothing like the smell of an upper GI bleed.

Zilla Guest
    My theory is that Joan needed 2 procedures doing, a vocal cord evaluation and an upper GI endoscopy. Joan does not want 2 separate procedures and so tells the upper GI doc and the ENT doc to perform both tasks in one procedure. She offers them a lot of money and so they all agree. The ENT doctor has not been authorised to work at the centre, so is there in an official capacity as an "observer" although unofficially may be doing the vocal cord evaluation. Joan's cords go into spasm, probably due to ENT doctor taking the biopsy.
    Except that the NYT reported that it was the clinic that brought in the extra doctor, not Joan. Joan only signed off on an endoscopy, all reports are saying that the second procedure was not planned.

Benion Guest
    Except that the NYT reported that it was the clinic that brought in the extra doctor, not Joan. Joan only signed off on an endoscopy, all reports are saying that the second procedure was not planned.
    That is the only way the official story would work. An additional doctor there to "observe" at the request of the centre.

IMO this case will be settled out of court, if it does go to court the official line will be GI doc did procedure, ENT doc just stood around observing.
    Last edited by Benion; 09-15-2014 at 11:37 AM.

It was probably like turkey that had been in the fridge for a week. No matter how much gravy you add.. It's still screwed. RIP Jigsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    they can investigate this thing all they want, the current facts are she went into a medical facility for a procedure she really didn't need and it didn't work out in her favor. She really thought in her head she needed to do all these surgery's to stay in show business when the truth was as a female comedian she could have never had any surgery's and still would have been beloved because of her mind. Would she really have been more popular if her voice was less raspy? She couldn't help herself and it finally did her in unfortunately.
    A procedure someone doesn't need = plastic surgery. An exploratory on your vocal chords where something serious could be going on is not the same thing.

Yes, I have read that Joan signed off on the exploratory only & the observing MD was given the go ahead for the biopsy without proper consent and proper emergency equip for that procedure.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RiotBoots View Post
    It was probably like turkey that had been in the fridge for a week. No matter how much gravy you add.. It's still screwed. RIP Jigsaw.
    <sniff> That's beautiful!

Joan wouldn't have wanted it any other way. She would hate the sappy bullshit.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RiotBoots View Post
    Joan wouldn't have wanted it any other way. She would hate the sappy bullshit.
    Yep, I totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by LLC View Post
    A procedure someone doesn't need = plastic surgery. An exploratory on your vocal chords where something serious could be going on is not the same thing.
    She only went in because she didn't like the way she sounded. It wasn't needed, just something she wanted fixed.

Poo Bah MCGee Guest
    Cosmetic surgery does it again!
    I never enjoyed Joan Rivers or her comedic style. Her endless facelifts were vanity in the flesh.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Poo Bah MCGee View Post
    Cosmetic surgery does it again!
    I never enjoyed Joan Rivers or her comedic style. Her endless facelifts were vanity in the flesh.
    Yeah, I'm no fan of her either. I was surprised that she chose to be cremated considering how much she spent on her idea of beauty. She could have been buried and never decompose since she was mostly plastic.

Zilla Guest
    She only went in because she didn't like the way she sounded. It wasn't needed, just something she wanted fixed.

Her career depended on her voice. Losing one's voice can also be a sign of cancer, so it was not a frivolous screening, particularly for someone who had been told there was a spot on one of her X rays months previously.

A new clip was released of what was possibly her last recording, which she was doing to promote a friend's play. Evidently she hadn't been feeling well for some time. I would really be interested to know what was truly going on with her throat and if she indeed had cancer. Not that it makes a difference now..it's just the hag in me, I guess.

http://pagesix.com/2014/09/15/joan-r...598.1405383326
    Last edited by Zilla; 09-15-2014 at 11:28 PM.

Her career depended on her voice. Losing one's voice can also be a sign of cancer, so it was not a frivolous screening, particularly for someone who had been told there was a spot on one of her X rays months previously.

A new clip was released of what was possibly her last recording, which she was doing to promote a friend's play. Evidently she hadn't been feeling well for some time. I would really be interested to know what was truly going on with her throat and if she indeed had cancer. Not that it makes a difference now..it's just the hag in me, I guess.

http://pagesix.com/2014/09/15/joan-r...598.1405383326
    That isn't Joan in that recording, if that was actually her we all would have heard it by now. She complained her voice was getting too raspy and wanted surgery to fix it. Them finding cancer or whatever I haven't heard about, all I know is she didn't need to go into that building for that procedure that day. She would still be alive today had she just lived with her raspy voice at 81 years old, we would have forgiven it.

That isn't Joan in that recording, if that was actually her we all would have heard it by now. She complained her voice was getting too raspy and wanted surgery to fix it. Them finding cancer or whatever I haven't heard about, all I know is she didn't need to go into that building for that procedure that day. She would still be alive today had she just lived with her raspy voice at 81 years old, we would have forgiven it.

It is all over local radio down here, saying it is her last recording. If it is false...there is going to be a lot of apologies down here from a lot of radio DJ's.
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

Benion Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LLC View Post

Yes, I have read that Joan signed off on the exploratory only & the observing MD was given the go ahead for the biopsy without proper consent and proper emergency equip for that procedure.

This is the interesting point. She could only "sign off" on the exploratory as the ENT doc was not officially authorised to work at the centre, so no official documentation on a biopsy would be done.

We will never know who caused the laryngospasm. Official line will be it was GI doc, doing an unauthorised biopsy. However I think it more likely ENT doc did it, but this will be covered up as an unauthorised doctor working on a patient will be far more damaging for the reputation of the clinic. I do not know how US law works, but I would not be surprised if this would be dealt with as a criminal offence.

Personally I think Joan was fully aware the ENT would be working on her, although was probably not told upfront a biopsy would be done (as they would not have known they were doing the biopsy until they were in surgery and looking at the vocal cords).

I genuinely believe Joan did not want the hassle of 2 procedures and so arranged this to be done in one sitting.

What is saddest is the biopsy was probably of a vocal cord nodule. Singers and people who use their voice a lot get them all the time and in the vast majority of cases they are totally benign and not a real problem, other than they can make the voice a bit raspy. She did not really need to have it dealt with, chances are it would not have done her any damage (other than a hoarse voice) leaving it put.

I don't think that's her on the recording. sounds like some impersonator doing joan. her voice was much more raspy

At least Joan died doing what she loved...surgery.

lol @ Aries. I just read that cnn article that one of the staff members said that the doctor took a selfie when joan was under
    fucked up

Quote Originally Posted by Mcafgr View Post
    It is all over local radio down here, saying it is her last recording. If it is false...there is going to be a lot of apologies down here from a lot of radio DJ's.
    It ain't her… http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/09/16/joan-rivers-last-recording-session-video-is-fake-rep-insists/

ozzysmom Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post

DITTO!!!! That would LITERALLY be the last picture of her alive.

desertangel Guest
    Im surprised the biopsy Dr didnt defer to Melissa. My dad had exploratory and Dr had to defer to mom when they found tumor, she okayed removal. Wreckless man or???

Taking a selfie while she was under is not only unprofessional behavior it's kinda sick. If that were me, and I found out, I would say let's take a selfie of me breaking your fuckin' nose ! What a jerk.

I want to see that selfie SO BAD!!!!

I loved Joan Rivers. My husband hated her plastic surgery, but I thought she was gorgeous. A gorgeous alien. Especially when I look at my mother-in-law, who is the same age, and looks really-really old. Or my mother at that age. Can we talk about sun damage? Her jokes got a little bizarre at the end, but that was just her generation. RIP Joan. I wish I could go through her closet and jewelry! Her clothes won't fit her daughter... I could use a couple of her evening gowns.

Benion Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by desertangel View Post
    Im surprised the biopsy Dr didnt defer to Melissa. My dad had exploratory and Dr had to defer to mom when they found tumor, she okayed removal. Wreckless man or???
    It is unbelievable. Having worked as a junior in surgery I have unfortunately come across a minority of arrogant surgeons who believe too much in their own ability. They cruise along full of themselves until something serious goes wrong.

It is reckless and although I have met some idiot surgeons in my time I have NEVER met a qualified professional so STUPID that they would take a selfie during surgery. In the UK doing that alone would get you in serious trouble with the General Medical Council, and probably struck off the register.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who wants to see the selfie.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

Here is a link to a video of Joan River's FRIGHTENINGLY opulent apartment, which is now on the market (along with the smaller apartment Melissa and son Cooper used in NYC, not shown here.)
    http://www.wor710.com/onair/mark-sim...ment-12781222/

It is most unfortunate that Melissa was not present for her mother's procedure. I do think she would have put a stop to selfies, further cutting, and so forth, insisting that should be done in a hospital. Joan might have wanted to avoid her interference--to her ultimate detriment, as it turned out.
    As some have observed, when an MD is referred to as "doctor to the stars" , RUN in the opposite direction! Because, for sure, they will just do what suits the patient/ client's convenience, NOT what is best for his or her HEALTH.

It seems like Melissa should have been there. I think you have to have someone with you for procedures. I guess she had an assistant or a driver with her, don't know. I'm sure Melissa feels terrible for not going along. Beautiful apartment, I saw a show called Celebrity Ghost Stories about her place. She ended up putting up a photo of the woman who was allegedly haunting her and that helped with the ghost problems.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Linnie View Post
    Here is a link to a video of Joan River's FRIGHTENINGLY opulent apartment, which is now on the market (along with the smaller apartment Melissa and son Cooper used in NYC, not shown here.)
    http://www.wor710.com/onair/mark-sim...ment-12781222/

It is most unfortunate that Melissa was not present for her mother's procedure. I do think she would have put a stop to selfies, further cutting, and so forth, insisting that should be done in a hospital. Joan might have wanted to avoid her interference--to her ultimate detriment, as it turned out.
    As some have observed, when an MD is referred to as "doctor to the stars" , RUN in the opposite direction! Because, for sure, they will just do what suits the patient/ client's convenience, NOT what is best for his or her HEALTH.
    There's no way I could live somewhere like that. That isn't a home, it's a museum. I would look really out of place there sitting around in my pajamas, cruising FAD, sipping my iced tea, and farting like a farm animal.

It's a beautiful place, like Versailles. I couldn't live that way either, unless I had a $5,000 bathrobe and some of those high heel slippers with the puff ball on the toe.

wonkavision Guest
    The procedure may have killed her but to think her age didn't play a part is naive. Any medical procedure brings about risks and those risks go up with age. Also, I think when you reach 50+ you don't need a history to be at risk for a heart attack, it's a pretty common killer now a days.
    I agree with you. My Mom had to go through lots of tests and approval from her three different doctors prior to knee surgery. She's in her late 70's. The first round of tests caused her to be rejected for surgery and pending further tests. She passed those and is back on schedule for surgery this coming Monday.

So yeah, senior citizens are at a high risk of never waking up from surgery.

Benion Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hidium View Post
    It seems like Melissa should have been there. I think you have to have someone with you for procedures. I guess she had an assistant or a driver with her, don't know. I'm sure Melissa feels terrible for not going along. Beautiful apartment, I saw a show called Celebrity Ghost Stories about her place. She ended up putting up a photo of the woman who was allegedly haunting her and that helped with the ghost problems.
    Although I thought Joan was great on the Apprentice, I did not like the way Melissa conducted herself.

The doctor is now denying the selfie allegation, so perhaps it is lies. Does anyone know if the selfie claims come from a reputable source...as it could just be internet rumour.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    There's no way I could live somewhere like that. That isn't a home, it's a museum. I would look really out of place there sitting around in my pajamas, cruising FAD, sipping my iced tea, and farting like a farm animal.
    I would be nervous to touch anything. Plus, think how out of place I would look walking around in nothing but a pair of boxers and a cup of coffee. It would never work!
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

I'd bet JR sat around on her days off doing pretty much the same, glorying that she could do her wind-passing in a room that Marie Antoinette would have envied (she definitely would have envied the indoor plumbing, anyway.) Still, that's a LOT of dust-collecting tchotchkes that Melissa will have to dispose of somehow. Not everything will be able to be be sold at auction. They may just lie around in storage, like the last scene in CITIZEN KANE.

And those desks looked messy! Just like mine (an orderly desk being the sign of a disordered mind, of course, LOL.)

Joan Rivers, like a lot of the old-time pre-computer-era comedians, had big file cabinets containing every joke she'd ever used. That's a LOT of material, though perhaps not as extensive a collection as Bob Hope's by the time he retired. One hopes THAT will be preserved.
    Last edited by Linnie; 09-20-2014 at 09:59 AM.

Benion Guest
    It looks like a granny flat....if the granny won the lottery and had millions to spend on granny stuff eg doilies and tea pots.

Loved Joan but her house is not my taste one bit.

There's a weird irony... I remember an interview JR gave years ago, where she claimed she wouldn't eat finger sandwiches, because, as a doctor's daughter, she thought they were unsanitary. But it seems she did not give much consideration to the best place for some doctors she didn't know very well to shove a tube down her throat or slice something out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Linnie View Post
    There's a weird irony... I remember an interview JR gave years ago, where she claimed she wouldn't eat finger sandwiches, because, as a doctor's daughter, she thought they were unsanitary. But it seems she did not give much consideration to the best place for some doctors she didn't know very well to shove a tube down her throat or slice something out of it.
    Hope this Doctor will lose their job.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Ethical doctors ask for blood work and an EKG before a lot of procedures

Zilla Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hidium View Post
    It's a beautiful place, like Versailles. I couldn't live that way either, unless I had a $5,000 bathrobe and some of those high heel slippers with the puff ball on the toe.
    Funny you should say that..I am reading "Still Talking" (I went to AbeBooks and bought a few of her books, in used form..tried several times to buy "Enter Talking" but the orders kept getting cancelled..I guess so they could jack the price WAY up and resell it under a different listing. Seriously, there are some vendors asking ridiculous prices for this book, which, imo, should have another reprinting.)

Anyhow, in the book, there is a section where she talks about when she and Edgar bought their Bel Air home and she was very into decorating that house all in French style.

"Truthfully, if I had all the money in the world and one day to spend it, I would rent Versailles, live there as if I've always lived there, and bring my friends as my guests. No question about it, I would take over Versailles."

She called the Bel Air house her "Versailles with contact paper."

This book is a very good read, but I really want to get Enter Talking, (If I can find it for a not insane price and in decent condition) which came first and talks about her early life and her very beginnings. And also "Bouncing Back", which she wrote after Edgar's suicide.

And yes, I hope the doctors involved are held fully accountable in this case. As they deserve to be.

desertangel Guest
    The Fashion Police tribute to Joan was poignant. I remembered every clip they showed which left me feeling like 4 years went by in a flash. Best show ever in my book. Was a bit surprised at the announcement that the show will go on and am anxious to see what that's going to be like. I finally broke down and got Diary of a Diva, Joan's latest book, and wanted to share an excerpt since it screamed "death hag" ...

"April 10
    Dear Diary,
    ...We're in desperate need of a good tragic celebrity death. Or two. And to make it really work for me, it has to be unexpected, not like that Andy Griffith sh*t. Andy was 300 f*cking years old and hadn't whistled in Mayberry since 1971. I like shocking. A "Why did Whitney have cocktails in the bathtub before the Grammys?" kind of a death. A "stunning starlet and her hunky boyfriend mutual suicide pact" kind of thing, where the boyfriend "accidentally" forgot to drink the Kook-Aid and is seen "mourning" at the starlet's funeral with his arm around her best friend, who turns out to be her younger, prettier brother..."

Saw a pretty great documentary on her last night. Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work. Interesting tidbit; she didn't care of someone didn't like her comedy. But she said it killed her if they dissed her acting. She also talked alot about her plastic surgeries and being told she was ugly repeatedly when she was young.

Bidmor Guest
    I saw that too, SC. It was on PBS, which has had some great docs lately in their American Masters series. I never cared for her comedy but Rivers was such a sad figure, as most comedians are.

It's odd to me that they let Konye and Kim use Versaille for a party. I would be worried that they would trash the palace. I saw a documentary about Joan, a long time ago. She was really down on herself. When she was having her make-up done, she'd look in the mirror and say over and over 'I'm a pig. I look like a pig!' The make-up artist and others would have to reassure her that she was beautiful. Maybe it was a pre-show ritual. A lot of her jokes were silly, but it was probably because of her age. Different sense of humor.