Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Robin Williams

Wendy A. Guest
    I've suffered from what I thought was major depression to the point I felt there was no way out, no escape.. All I wanted to do was either sleep or just die. I never would think I'd kill myself because I have kids who depend on me but I've thought about it, and honestly if it wasn't for my kids I know I would have killed myself already by now. I've always admired Robin. I thought he was both funny and VERY smart. From accounts he seemed to be a very kind and caring person.. for him to kill himself says something about just how bad depression really can be.. for him to do this, for him to think his children are better off without him.. his suffering had to be PROFOUND. I know how bad I was, and seeing what's happened with him makes me question so much. My experience with depression was I didn't reach out for help, I didn't want help because I felt nobody could help me and I didn't want to draw attention, or burden anyone with my problems. For me talking about it does absolutely nothing. I would get up in the morning and go to work, and I'd cut up and joke around.. I didn't want anyone to know, I didn't want to be a killjoy or a downer to be around. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has this mindset on their depression?

ozzysmom Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy A. View Post
    I've suffered from what I thought was major depression to the point I felt there was no way out, no escape.. All I wanted to do was either sleep or just die. I never would think I'd kill myself because I have kids who depend on me but I've thought about it, and honestly if it wasn't for my kids I know I would have killed myself already by now. I've always admired Robin. I thought he was both funny and VERY smart. From accounts he seemed to be a very kind and caring person.. for him to kill himself says something about just how bad depression really can be.. for him to do this, for him to think his children are better off without him.. his suffering had to be PROFOUND. I know how bad I was, and seeing what's happened with him makes me question so much. My experience with depression was I didn't reach out for help, I didn't want help because I felt nobody could help me and I didn't want to draw attention, or burden anyone with my problems. For me talking about it does absolutely nothing. I would get up in the morning and go to work, and I'd cut up and joke around.. I didn't want anyone to know, I didn't want to be a killjoy or a downer to be around. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has this mindset on their depression?
    You nailed it. I could have written this describing myself....xoxo

Holy Crap. Cut Wrists. Hanging. He wanted to be sure, no?

Quote Originally Posted by lulubaines View Post
    Yeah especially with the position. He could have sat down and saved his life.. doesn't sound like he struggled or changed his mind at all. Suffocation cannot feel good or be peaceful in any way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Jack'sGirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcafgr View Post
    Looks like he tried to slice his wrist before he hung himself with a belt between the door and the doorframe. Weird that the wife went to bed at 10:30, left the house in the morning and then came back after she got the call. Did she not find him to say she was leaving?......Robin was found in a sitting position slightly elevated according to Marin County
    That's what I thought. I'm a night owl, my hubby is a morning person. There are a lot of times he's up before me, and I'm up after he's gone to bed. Sometimes one of us will fall asleep on the couch, if I wake in the middle of the night and he's not in bed (we share a room) I go check on him to see where he is. And vice versa. I can't think of a time that either of us left the house without saying goodbye, checking on each other. It's standard. I can't imagine leaving the house without saying goodbye and checking on the other person. Come to think of it, my son (19) still lives at home, I don't leave the house without checking on him as well.

Robin might have waited until after his wife left to do it, but I can't imagine going out without at least peeking in on him, even if you didn't want to wake him. Especially if he was suffering from depression.
    Last edited by Jack'sGirl; 08-12-2014 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Clarification

Jack'sGirl Guest
    If I hear one more person remark that suicide is a selfish act, I'm going to punch them in the throat. My heart goes out to each of you that suffer from depression. I've had bouts of depression, the worst being when my brother died, but it was situational, and it passed with time and medication. I cannot fathom what you face on a daily basis, every single day of your lives. I wish I could hug you and let you know you are valuable.

I saw this online today, and it helped me to understand why we lose so many comedians to some sort of self termination.

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/robin-williams-why-funny-people-kill-themselves/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=fanpage&utm_campaign=new+article&wa_ibsrc=fanpage

Last edited by Jack'sGirl; 08-12-2014 at 04:28 PM.

7. 08-12-2014, 11:47 AM

ozzysmom Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack'sGirl View Post
    If I hear one more person remark that suicide is a selfish act, I'm going to punch them in the throat. My heart goes out to each of you that suffer from depression. I've had bouts of depression, the worst being when my brother died, but it was situational, and it passed with time and medication. I cannot fathom what you face on a daily basis, every single day of your lives. I wish I could hug you and let you know you are valuable.

That's very sweet xoxoxo

if you watch the last few interviews he's done you can see something ain't right behind his eyes. He definitely seems down or off.

Looks like he tried to slice his wrist before he hung himself with a belt between the door and the doorframe.
    so there can't be any question that he really wanted to kill himself... this wasn't a cry for help, he was determined.
    Last edited by Jason; 08-12-2014 at 11:53 AM.

StewartGilliganGriffin Guest
    The cut wrists were superficial. Just my general sense is that he was cutting and thinking about it and thought he either just couldn't it like that or thought about the person finding him and didn't want all the blood.

If any of you have CNN turn it on now. It's a story about Robin and a dying girl

Thank you, punch hard ok?

jsnerch Guest
    I'm so sad over this.

According to this article the cuts were superficial, with dried blood found on the blade of the closed pocket knife. His wife left the house at 10:30. The personal assistant found him in "his bedroom" at 11:45 and he was already "cold to the touch". He was last seen alive the night before, which leads me to believe they must have had separate bedrooms. I'm curious what they will determine the time of death to be.

This is all so fucking sad. I'm usually the type to want to see ALL the pictures. I don't think I could stand to see these. I live in Marin and often saw him zipping around on his bike. That's how I want to remember him.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...lf-5683229.php

Edit: found more detail here, though granted it's from the Daily Fail. Apparently, rigor had already set in, so he must have done it not long after he was last seen.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-no-note.html
    Last edited by dvz; 08-12-2014 at 12:28 PM.

I'm sure he is working on it ......Lord knows I was looking for it yesterday....

Quote Originally Posted by StewartGilliganGriffin View Post
    I hope Scott or whoever is doing the main site gives Robin a place there. He deserves a place on the main page Maybe some of the San Fran fans can help out with pertinent pics?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

15. 08-12-2014, 12:11 PM

Wendy, I relate to you 100% and am even a Layne fan! I have a ten month old baby and she's the only reason why I'm pulling through. But it's awful. It's time for me to get help. I'm stuck and I'm exhausted by it. But anyway. You are not the only one who has this mindset with this depression.

Wendy A. Guest
    I saw this online today, and it helped me to understand why we lose so many comedians to some sort of self termination.

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/r..._ibsrc=fanpage
    Nice find, thanks for sharing this and I think he hit the nail on the head!

Icalledhisname, thank you!

18. 08-12-2014, 12:18 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GorgFtCqPEs

This will rip your heart out...Robin and KoKo the gorilla....they laugh together
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

That press conference describing the scene was rough he hung himself and slit both wrists, the knife was found nearby

Zilla Guest
    I got an advance copy of "Working Stiff" by Judy Melinger, a former NYC medical examiner. I've read most of it, and it is very good, I recommend it. It came out today.

One of the things she said was that successful hangings (where the neck is broken instantly) are very rare, and in most cases, the victim suffocates to death. This is why I didn't want to hear that Robin had hanged himself, because they didn't mention a broken neck. I was hoping, when asphyxiation was mentioned, that he had simply run his car in his closed garage. But in that case, they would have said carbon monoxide poisoning, right?

I just hate to think that he suffered a prolonged death by suffocation.

StewartGilliganGriffin Guest
    Something else I caught from the press conference I forgot to mention and I haven't seen mentioned. The cop messed up. When asked about a suicide note he said, "we're not commenting on THE suicide note.... or A suicide note". Later he called it "THE suicide note" and didn't even bother to correct himself. So I'm thinking there's a note.

Jack'sGirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by shipmatekate View Post
    Thank you, punch hard ok?
    I will.

Instead of saying it's a selfish act, we ought to say they are pretty UNSELFISH to be able to fight it and live every single day with such pain. I have suffered unrelenting physical pain, it's enough to drive one to madness. But pain is pain, whether it be mental or physical. You get to a point where enough is more than enough. And you snap. The fact that some haven't snapped is a miracle in itself. Why can't people recognize that? He survived that pain for probably most (if not all) of his 63 years. I would hardly classify that as a coward or a selfish thing. He lasted a hell of a lot longer than I ever could've.

I think the worst of it is that we never knew. I bet very few knew just how depressed he was. This is a huge sideswipe. I can't fathom it. Does not compute.

Jack'sGirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    That press conference describing the scene was rough he hung himself and slit both wrists, the knife was found nearby
    I cried during the report. It was just awful. Somehow worse than anything I imagined.

Odd Socks Guest
    On the whole comedian/depression thing, the BBC have this hour put this article out. I thought you guys would like to read it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28753326

Jack'sGirl Guest
    Something else I caught from the press conference I forgot to mention and I haven't seen mentioned. The cop messed up. When asked about a suicide note he said, "we're not commenting on THE suicide note.... or A suicide note". Later he called it "THE suicide note" and didn't even bother to correct himself. So I'm thinking there's a note.
    I caught that too, StewartGilliganGriffin.

Billy Weathersby Guest
    Several years ago, one of the tabloids wanted to know if certain "superstars" responded to fan mail so they asked a young boy about 11 or 12 year old to write to ten celebrities asking for their autograph and include a twenty dollar bill in each request..The ONLY one who responded was Robin Williams who sent several signed and personalized photos, a hand-written letter plus he sent the twenty dollars back to the boy..CLASS ACT...RIP....He will always be Popeye to me and my grandson.

Westboro is threatening to picket his funeral.

Why can't WBC become a real cult and pull a Jonestown on themselves?

Wendy A. Guest

I know right! I'd even chip in for the grape flavored Flavor-ite!

I have severe depression as well, and there are times I think it would be better to just end it. I am heartbroken that he felt that way and did it. May he be at peace now, and his wife the strength to carry her over the next few months. When I was feeling down I would watch one of his movies, always made me laugh, loved Patch Adams, and the Dead Poets Society.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	butterfly1.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	51269

Great find, Jack'sGirl!

"Rest in peace, Robin. You've given us a chance to talk about this, and to prove that this has nothing to do with life circumstances -- you were rich and accomplished and respected and beloved by friends and family, and in the end it meant jack fucking shit."

Rewatched The Fisher King this morning, he was so great in that movie.
    Last edited by TheWrath of MadelineKahn; 08-12-2014 at 02:43 PM.
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

Please combine these posts.

GOD IS NOT DEAD

I will.

Instead of saying it's a selfish act, we ought to say they are pretty UNSELFISH to be able to fight it and live every single day with such pain. I have suffered unrelenting physical pain, it's enough to drive one to madness. But pain is pain, whether it be mental or physical. You get to a point where enough is more than enough. And you snap. The fact that some haven't snapped is a miracle in itself. Why can't people recognize that? He survived that pain for probably most (if not all) of his 63 years. I would hardly classify that as a coward or a selfish thing. He lasted a hell of a lot longer than I ever could've.

I think the worst of it is that we never knew. I bet very few knew just how depressed he was. This is a huge sideswipe. I can't fathom it. Does not compute.
    I agree with you, it's hard to live with it every damn day. The pretending to be okay, laughing and such to keep up appearances, in front of friends and family and even strangers, because really no one wants to deal with, talk to, someone who has depression. It's exhausting. So he did what was best for him, even though to us and his wife, it wasn't. Maybe he just got to tired to deal with it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    Yeah especially with the position. He could have sat down and saved his life.. doesn't sound like he struggled or changed his mind at all. Suffocation cannot feel good or be peaceful in any way.
    I'm confused (not unusual)...he could have sat down & lived? He was found seated....yet he hung himself? Lost, I am.

Hearing the things you guys said were mentioned at the press conference makes me sad. I can't imagine how sad and lonely he probably felt in those last moments.

BeatlesFan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Upset View Post
    I was not a huge fan of his comedy, but he was great in "Dead Poets Society", one of my favorite movies.
    I feel the same way. I enjoyed his acting and movies very much, but his comedy was not my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzysmom View Post
    I'm hoping his death will put depression more in the spotlight. This was not a selfish act, this was a desperate act of a very depressed person who wanted the pain to stop. Once we stop labeling the act of suicide as selfish, we are open to learn about it and try to understand and help those that suffer from it.
    People are posting really great, inspiring, thought-provoking things, and I hope that encourages people to talk, and listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Socks View Post
    I was just talking with my son about how so many comedians seem to struggle with depression. It's horrible to think that while they live to make others laugh, they are so sad inside. I know he had problems but I really didn't expect him to go this way.
    Stand up comedians are almost always disturbed people. Humor is a way to deflect showing people you're truer inner self. I'm not going to sit here and say all stand up comics have issues but if you look at the track record most are very sad people. Suicide, addiction, depression, among other issues are quite common with stand up comics.
    My friends and I have been talking about the same thing. Tears of a clown. "If there's a smile on my face, it's only there trying to fool the public...."

Quote Originally Posted by okidoll View Post
    He was one of those people who just had sadness written into their face. Hard to explain, but he looked haunted.
    Yes! Excellent observation!

If I hear one more person remark that suicide is a selfish act, I'm going to punch them in the throat.
    Yes! Like so many of you, I suffer from depression, and have felt low enough to have been OK with dying. Not to actually kill myself, but to accept anything that would just.stop.this.pain.. It's gut wrenching to think of how awful he must have felt, how determined he was to make sure he was successful in ending his life.

Jack'sGirl Guest

Fuckers. Wanna bet this is just another threat only, just to ride the attention he's garnering right now. Because I think there would be such a public outcry if they tried it. Like violent outcry.

I'm close enough to SF that I would easily go down there to help stop those disgusting jerks.

(I had to laugh out loud at your Jonestown comment. That was funny. Thanks for the laugh!)

Jack'sGirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Please combine these posts.
    I'm confused. Do you want me to go back and combine the posts? Did I do something wrong?

Zilla Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LLC View Post
    I'm confused (not unusual)...he could have sat down & lived? He was found seated....yet he hung himself? Lost, I am.
    He shut the door on his belt, with the belt looped around his neck. In order to reduce the slack and get the pull he needed, he then leaned/lunged over, perpendicular to the door. Sitting down would not have tightened the slack.

Kind of reminds me of Clara Blandick (Auntie Em- Wizard of Oz) who took many sleeping
    pills to make sure she did not survive, but also tied a plastic bag around her face and neck.

To make sure she killed herself.
    Last edited by theotherlondon; 08-12-2014 at 01:10 PM.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

From the scuttlebutt going on around here (I am just north of Marin) Robin was seen at a local store on Sunday.

AussieBec Guest
    Wow..The amount of pain he must have been going through at the end..It's soo bloody sad

Don't be surprised about Westboro.. It's what they do. Fred is dead, and they lost A LOT of members in the past couple years. They are losing steam.

Fuckers. Wanna bet this is just another threat only, just to ride the attention he's garnering right now. Because I think there would be such a public outcry if they tried it. Like violent outcry.

I'm close enough to SF that I would easily go down there to help stop those disgusting jerks.

(I had to laugh out loud at your Jonestown comment. That was funny. Thanks for the laugh!)
    Your welcome and I'd totally head on down to picket the picketers. I'd have a sign that read God loves Robin, Satan loves lawyers.

If only Phelps and the clan had the decades and decades of humanitarian work, soul and character that Robin Williams had then I wouldn't think the next Church congregation needs to be held in the sewer.

Robin on Who's Line Is It Anyways?

http://www.wimp.com/robinwilliams/

I have suffered from depression my entire life. Like a lot of members on this forum. Meds did not help, talking about it did not help. I understand the pain of not wanting to go on in life BUT just could not do that to my loved ones. So sad to be so famous, loved by so many but so alone.

I think depression is a common thing. I've been battling it in bouts ever since 1995.

I think the big lesson here is regardless if a person is so full of life or professionally has it "made" or treading water and doesn't have their life all together, nobody should be left or abandoned with their own thoughts.

RIP Robin.

This one really hurts my heart. I'm 33, I grew up watching and enjoying his work all throughout the 90s. One of my favorite movies he made was "What Dreams May Come" but I feel I can never watch that movie again, it would just hurt too much.

I think depression is a common thing. I've been battling it in bouts ever since 1995.

I think the big lesson here is regardless if a person is so full of life or professionally has it "made" or treading water and doesn't have their life all together, nobody should be left or abandoned with their own thoughts.

I agree, I go through bouts and I am lucky that I have my wife who always pulls me through. We can only hope that this awful death brings about a better consciousness for people to get help.
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    March 1934-July 2016

I'm not going to be able to watch that last Wax Museum movie

I've also suffered from severe depression for years. At my worst, I prayed for death but couldn't do it myself. Thank God for antidepressants.

With the news of how he killed himself, I'm reminded of something Kathy Griffin said in her book. She was talking about how David Strickland hanged himself, and what really hit her was how hanging is the most tragic way to commit suicide because it's the form that takes the most thought and preparation. When someone hangs themselves, they really, really want to die.

Think this hit hard to the whole population????

Check out Amazon's top 20 movies today. Robin owns the list.

http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-m...zgbs/movies-tv
    March 1934-July 2016

Think this hit hard to the whole population????

Check out Amazon's top 20 movies today. Robin owns the list.

http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-m...zgbs/movies-tv
    Sad we can't get him past The Other Woman.