Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 13202122
Results 1,051 to 1,062 of 1062

Thread: Station Nightclub fire in West Warwick, Rhode Island 2

Just back from a 2-week vacation in Rhode Island. I'm gonna be trouble, just don't make me do it all alone.

Share it with me, Bill!

Will do, R Lady. You’re the best. Had a whole dinner at the Cowesett Inn with Brandon Fravala and his girlfriend. I’m getting to that soon.

---Steven Burgess---addendum

(found some new information on Burgess--hope it's new to this thread, as well.)

1.) You've gotta see this--I don't want to say too much: Google/YouTube: "Those Guys Newport Firewatch Special..." (posted 11/16/07)

2.) Firehouse.com--forums--"When is a firefighter not a firefighter?" (easy to join)

Some highlights from that:

--After they got out the kitchen door, Burgess reportedly told his date, the lucky Jennifer Stocks, " 'You're not going to believe what you're going to see. I want you to get out of here.' "

--Burgess sliced his hands and arms on bar glass. Then he "held a hose 15 feet from the front door without...gear on." His eyebrows were singed off and his clothing got burned.

--The City of Cranston later denied his request for injured-on-duty status when he later sought treatment for PTSD. They were afraid of setting a precedent!!

--He left the band and his role as bass player a few years ago. Still with the Cranston Fire Dept. though.

Wow, I'm so happy to see all the activity in the time I've been gone! There's some great new stuff here. I do have a question though- where in the Google Drive is the Before the Show video? I cannot, for the life of me, find it anywhere, and it's no longer on YouTube. Help please? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderAmander View Post
    Wow, I'm so happy to see all the activity in the time I've been gone! There's some great new stuff here. I do have a question though- where in the Google Drive is the Before the Show video? I cannot, for the life of me, find it anywhere, and it's no longer on YouTube. Help please? Thanks
    Welcome back, Veteran. I was just a lurker when you were in your prime.

Remember when Dion created “Contents Not On The Original Hard Drive?” It should be in there in several versions. For the best in sound & light, I’ve occasionally gone to YouTube and selected one of the choices that says “includes dramatization.” That is frequently code for “contains pre-show as well but we don’t want to advertise it.” You should be good-to-go now...and thanks again for your earlier work.

What I find most intriguing about the fire are the various psychological aspects. One being the way that some Station survivors have talked about being a changed person following the catastrophe.

Deborah Lemay of West Warwick was 29 years old at the time. She suffered an array of injuries, barely making it out a bar window with her life. Said Lemay: "I realize that the person I was before is gone, and I have to grieve that."

Todd King: "Some of us came home, some of us didn't. But a small part of each one of us who did, died that night."

John Pinkham: "It's totally torn my life apart. It's not the same. It's never going to be the same."

Stefanie Simpson/Campopiano, after a particularly harrowing escape from the club: "[I] will never be the same."

George Solitro: "You just can't understand what it's like faring for your life for the, like, 30 seconds that you were in there not knowing if you could get out. I don't think anybody that was there that night is the same person. Anybody who was there and got out--they're not the same person--at all. (Of his group of 9 friends and/or co-workers, 5 survived.)

---Could it be that when the animal will-to-survive gets switched on--whether in ourselves or others--it never really gets 100% switched off? Guess that's a lot of what PTSD is about, basically.

(Quotes: RI AG witness statements; Boston Herald; Boston Globe; Providence Journal.)

Quote Originally Posted by billoween View Post
    Welcome back, Veteran. I was just a lurker when you were in your prime.

Remember when Dion created “Contents Not On The Original Hard Drive?” It should be in there in several versions. For the best in sound & light, I’ve occasionally gone to YouTube and selected one of the choices that says “includes dramatization.” That is frequently code for “contains pre-show as well but we don’t want to advertise it.” You should be good-to-go now...and thanks again for your earlier work.
    Thank you, billoween! I found it, thanks to you. Thank YOU for all your work, it's always nice to see new life breathed into this.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderAmander View Post
    Thank you, billoween! I found it, thanks to you. Thank YOU for all your work, it's always nice to see new life breathed into this.
    Billoween was correct! I'm glad the Google Drive is still a good resource for interested folks.

Also thanks to Billoween for carrying the torch, pardon the pun, of this thread lately. I'm sure things will pick up when the documentary The Guest List comes out. Scheduled for October 1st!

Quote Originally Posted by dionyzus View Post
    Billoween was correct! I'm glad the Google Drive is still a good resource for interested folks.

Also thanks to Billoween for carrying the torch, pardon the pun, of this thread lately. I'm sure things will pick up when the documentary The Guest List comes out. Scheduled for October 1st!
    I can't wait for it!

You guys are too nice.

Just got back from a quickie to Rhode Island. Talked to a lot of folks who knew Jude Henault and Sam Miceli. Can't wait to regroup and carry some more torch.

---The Often Quirky Commentary of Survivor Anthony Cugini---

26 year-old Anthony Cugini of Randolph, Massachusetts, drove down to see Great White with his best friend, Howard Rubin. Neither had ever been to The Station or seen Great White before. "I'm really a classic Van Halen guy," writes Cugini.

The two arrived late--Trip had finished playing--and they were standing mid-room, near the soundboard, when "Desert Moon" began.
    "In my mind the two symmetrical torches could [very well] have been part of the show," says Cugini. But, in a better-safe-than-sorry move, he decides he'll "find out from outside."

"When I turned to leave I saw a line at the front door. I didn't want to wait in line to get out of a possibly burning building so I continued straight and luckily noticed [a bar door exit] that wasn't [yet] crowded with people.

(Cugini says that events now begin occurring "in fast forward," and he gets separated from Howard Rubin.)

As soon as he reaches the bar exit, the band quits playing. Two thoughts occurred to him: One, that the bar door might be chained shut and he'll be out of luck. And two, "If fire [really] was [just] part of the show, I could get in trouble going out a fire exit." But the bar door opens for him, and that, he believes, sets off the club's fire alarm.

Safely out, he momentarily considers waking up all the residents of "houses dangerously close by." Then, though, he loses his car keys in the parking lot. (He's happy he has a spare in his wallet.) Finally, he sees Rubin emerge from the front doors with his hands over his ears because of the fire alarm. "If I had lost my best friend, I would've been a basket case for a long time. Especially since I invited him to the show, bought tickets, and drove."

Then he writes: "[Howard] was clueless as ever, unwittingly telling me to calm down. At this point a man walked by, his face completely covered in blood. Like Blue Man Group but red. All I could see were the whites of his deliberate eyes.....things were happening very fast." But, "because there was nothing for them to do," they leave for Massachusetts. They wanted to help, but "didn't want to get in the way."

Later: "Me and my friend were over 45 minutes north on 95, heading back toward Boston, and ambulances were STILL passing us headed south toward the site. WHAT A F***ING DISASTER."

--Some more bits from Cugini's account:

-"Being religious, I believe the people who died are in a better place."

-"I think about [the fire] everyday. I want to make sure I learn from it."

-"I should at least donate the amount of the refunded tickets but I haven't yet. Funny, I joked about wanting my $ back after the show. Actually getting a refund [later] hit me hard."

-"I e-mailed Jack Russell immediately after the fire. One of the things I said was 'What good would it do not to play again? People still love the music.' "

-"I bought a [Great White] CD that night. . . before Great White went on of course."

-"[I'm] in a band [with Rubin] called Rebel Jet. We'll be playing clubs soon."

-"Me [and Howard] saw LA Guns play . . . in Attlesboro a week after [the fire]. There were people there selling T's in memory of the Doc [Dr. Metal]. I felt it was ok to enjoy the music. I knew there were 100's from the week before who wished they still could."
    Last edited by billoween; 08-19-2018 at 04:04 PM.