Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seven dead at UCSB

Seven dead at UCSB

CNN.com reporting 7 deaths at the University of California Santa Barbara campus last night (what a way to begin a holiday weekend). The believed to be shooter is dead from a gunshot wound to the head (not determined yet if it was suicide or the police shot him). The shooter is believed to be Elliott Rodgers, his dad apparently in show business as a unit director in one of the Hunger Games movies. It is alleged that Elliott began firing on people from a BMW at several places around the campus.

In one of the more spooky moments of this story, this guy made a video statement of what he was going to do. I think YouTube removed the original from its' site but not before others made copies of it and posted it. (It is now on TMZ.com also). In the video, Elliott is bemoaning the fact that he is a virgin and blaming "spoiled" women for ignoring the fact that he is a "supreme gentleman'. He sounds like a spoiled little boy. My condolences to his family and the families of his victims for his wretched actions.

Wendy A. Guest
    Why didn't Youtube report the video? I hope there's no pics of him on the news, and I wish they'd not post his name. All it does is encourage other nut jobs. He did sound like a self entitled spoiled little fuck. I guess he never considered the fact that maybe he wasn't getting laid because he's a creeper, or inmature, or a creeper weirdo of sorts? Nobody ever takes responsibility for their own problems, its never their fault, always someone else's, or they can't help it because they have something medically wrong with them.. He should have just took some of daddy's money and went and got him a high dollar whore, Or just killed himself. Problem solved.
    Last edited by Wendy A.; 05-24-2014 at 10:16 AM.

As manifestos go, this one sucked. A string of cliches with no specificity whatsoever. "Girls, you have rejected me." Yeah, I hope the girls feel terrible about that.

Honestly, more than anything he comes across as gay in the video. Perhaps he was unable to come to terms with his sexuality, and decided to take his anger out on the world?

If I'm wrong about that, it's kind of a shame he didn't survive; in prison, he would have been sure to get proposals from some crazy-ass women.

Wendy A. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Upset View Post
    As manifestos go, this one sucked. A string of cliches with no specificity whatsoever. "Girls, you have rejected me." Yeah, I hope the girls feel terrible about that.

Honestly, more than anything he comes across as gay in the video. Perhaps he was unable to come to terms with his sexuality, and decided to take his anger out on the world?

If I'm wrong about that, it's kind of a shame he didn't survive; in prison, he would have been sure to get proposals from some crazy-ass women.
    I'm sure he'd had no problem whatsoever getting laid in prison, he surely would have been on the receiving end.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy A. View Post
    I'm sure he'd had no problem whatsoever getting laid in prison, he surely would have been on the receiving end.
    True dat. LOL

Where I have a problem with is that for all intents and purposes, this killer was a spoon fed rich kid that had a lot of shit handed to him. My question is why daddy and mommy, in between handing him BMW's, didn't see that this clown's mind was not right? This did not just happen by the flick of a switch, he had to be brewing for some time. And now 7 families and maybe 100's of lives are ruined. I just hope that this kid ends up on death row and not some glorified psychiatric country club along with everyone else that takes lives so senselessly. He is a monster in the true sense of the word.
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

He's already dead from a shot to the head- what a spoiled little POS.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Casper, I love you so much baby boy... waking up with you in the house is a blessing every day! Thank you for filling our home and hearts with so much love, joy, laughter and ever so sweet Sammy smiles! We belong together! XOXOX

Quote Originally Posted by Cynful View Post
    He's already dead from a shot to the head- what a spoiled little POS.
    Thank you to the California sheriffs and to you Cynful
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    March 1934-July 2016

as per http://nypost.com/2014/05/24/drive-b...santa-barbara/

The family of the suspected gunman who shot dead six people and injured seven others near a Santa Barbara, California, university Friday night called the police several weeks ago after being alarmed by YouTube videos he posted ??regarding suicide and the killing of people,? an attorney for the family has said.

Looks like it might be laid at the feet of law enforcement??????
    March 1934-July 2016

10. 05-24-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Mcafgr View Post
    Thank you to the California sheriffs and to you Cynful
    You're welcome Mcafgr.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Casper, I love you so much baby boy... waking up with you in the house is a blessing every day! Thank you for filling our home and hearts with so much love, joy, laughter and ever so sweet Sammy smiles! We belong together! XOXOX

12. 05-24-2014, 01:54 PM

endsleigh03 Guest
    That video of him is so weird. It almost seemed scripted, specially that weird laugh.

He's not a bad looking guy, drives a BMW and his dad is co-director of the Hunger Games movies. If he isn't getting laid that's all on him. Wierdo.

He stabbed 3 guys at his house according to sheriff presser
    March 1934-July 2016

desertangel Guest
    Very sad. I used to live not far from there in the 80s and always remember it as being a sleepy, idyllic little town. I'm hating all the press about severe mental illness and how he didn't feel liked or loved, didn't have a girlfriend, etc. which are emotions many people feel at different times in their lives. Not all loners are shooters and guys like that I fear give loners a bad name. Wondering about what the press won't let out; such as medications the guy on, or if he was an ecstasy or meth user. I would worry about a kid posting such weird youtube videos also, but kids these days are much different about expressing their emotions and drama than when I was young, before the internet.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/225960813/...orld-manifesto

My Twisted World
    by Elliot Rodgers

Here it is in his own words....
    I told my lawyer he's better step it up or we would both end up on an episode of "SNAPPED"

I went and watched the TMZ video. What a creepy little twerp. It does seem very scripted. I really wish these people would start their massacre's with suicide.

Apparently family members were concerned enough to call the police, and he states that when they stopped by if they would have searched his apartment his plan would have been thwarted.

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/260559151.html

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    That video of him is so weird. It almost seemed scripted, specially that weird laugh.
    I've seen the video, and at first I thought that it was just a sick fake and he was doing some very bad acting.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulination View Post
    He's not a bad looking guy, drives a BMW and his dad is co-director of the Hunger Games movies. If he isn't getting laid that's all on him. Wierdo.
    Wow, yeah, there have been times when I needed very badly to get laid, but wholesale slaughter never entered my mind as a possible substitute.
    I suspect that if he had popped his cherry, he would have soon realized that sex isn't always everything it's cracked up to be. Of course, then he might have found another reason to murder people.

Wendy A. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud666 View Post
    I've seen the video, and at first I thought that it was just a sick fake and he was doing some very bad acting.

Wow, yeah, there have been times when I needed very badly to get laid, but wholesale slaughter never entered my mind as a possible substitute.
    I suspect that if he had popped his cherry, he would have soon realized that sex isn't always everything it's cracked up to be. Of course, then he might have found another reason to murder people.
    I have not watched the video. Not sure if I will. I think the attention he's getting will only encourage others. All we've see is who the killer was, who his dad was, his name, his lifestyle, his so called reasons... But we're yet to see anything about the victims. And Rosebud, I agree if he had gotten some tail he would have just found another reason to kill people.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud666 View Post

Highly likely.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by Upset View Post

I haven't seen the video yet but just reading his manifesto (I'm only up to Part 3) I can totally see the gay thing. I think this guy was confused and used the excuse that "girls didn't like him" to explain all his problems away. This manifesto is fucking stupid so far. First of all he contradicts himself a lot. He's very whiny and spoiled and annoying.

I agree with Paulination, there is no reason he couldn't have found a girl. There was obviously something else in him that was stopping him, whether he knew what it was or not. It obviously frustrated him. I see he likes to blame a lot of things on his short height too. The shortest kid in my school was super popular and ended up on the U of MN basketball team even scoring a game winning goal that got in on the news. This kid doesn't seem to have been able to manage anything, and once he got to an age where throwing a tantrum wasn't going to help things (though I guess you could say killing people is the ultimate tantrum) he didn't know what to do. What a nut case.

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    . . . This manifesto is fucking stupid so far. . . .
    Hmm . . . I usually don't waste my time reading things that strike me as fucking stupid. Fortunately, even the dumbest posts here (and no bettie, I definitely don't mean your post as an example) usually contain a kernel of brilliance. The rest I just don't read. People can post/write what they like, but we all have right to ignore it. OK, I did read Madame Bovary and a couple of novels by Jane Austen, but that doesn't count as I was compelled to do so by my English professor.

So unless your professor is forcing you to, I would suggest you employ your prodigious powers of literary criticism and stop reading. You can even practice with my post.

We've said it over and over again here and still they just don't seem to listen: kids, don't do the crime if you can't write worth a dime.
    Last edited by Rosebud666; 05-25-2014 at 02:40 AM.

Yeah, I know. I was hoping that kernel would come out of this eventually. I gave up.

He killed and injured a bunch of folks just because he couldn't get laid? Is that it in a nutshell, basically?

Quote Originally Posted by SheeBee View Post
    I went and watched the TMZ video. What a creepy little twerp. It does seem very scripted. I really wish these people would start their massacre's with suicide.

I watched one video for a few minutes, and kept thinking 'what a self absorbed little twit with horrible acting skills'. Then I went to his Facebook page. He had no friends listed (he may have hid them in his privacy settings), but the whole page is him taking selfies with that same "I'm above you all!" look to them. I think I saw only one response to all his selfies.
    Cindy

March 1934-July 2016

desertangel Guest
    Guy was clearly disturbed... or a really bad actor.

About mental health background checks and gun purchases:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...ting-adam-lanz

I don't get why so much money goes into anti-terrorism, yet we can't do anything about trying to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill. Guess I can understand why so many conspiracy theories exist around mass shootings.

Giada Guest
    Over indulged and felt a sense of entitlement instilled by his parents.

Doesn't work, threatens to leave college at age 22, drives a BMW and has enough disposable income to purchase three guns.

Still haven't looked at the manifesto (my phone won't download it), but the video reminds me a little of that Virginia Tech idiot, except that he is calmer and has a better commamd of English......
    Last edited by Upset; 05-25-2014 at 04:53 PM.

Giada, I'm lol'ing at your Arnold quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    He killed and injured a bunch of folks just because he couldn't get laid? Is that it in a nutshell, basically?
    Yeah. Pretty much.

I haven't really seen any details about who he killed. He talks in the video of going into a sorority and killing all the pretty blond coeds who wouldn't give him the time of day. I know this has already been brought up but I really think this guy was gay. I don't know if he even realized this. He talks a lot about his jealousy issues but I really think it was the girls he was jealous of, for getting these guys, not the guys. He seems almost infatuated with the boys when he is in elementary/middle school. My ex best friend came out of the closet at 27 and before this there was a lot of complaining that he could never get the girl he wanted. He also came off as creepy and ingenuine when he would talk about sex and girls.

Rhonda Guest
    His laugh was so fake - like Dr. Evil. But, I do feel sorry for him. He wasn't bad looking - he was probably just an arrogant ass when approaching women and they were turned off by that. I don't think he was gay, actually. (Not that there's anything wrong with that...) There are rumors that he was a compulsive masturbater. I do think his parents tried to get him help, also.

All that money he wasted on guns and lottery tickets...when he could have bought hookers with it all! At least they wouldn't have said "no" to him! Geez...

PurrPurr Guest
    #YesAllWomen was trending earlier on Twitter in light of this tragedy.

Just looking at this guy gave me the creeps. Condolences to the families of those unnecessarily lost.

38. 05-26-2014, 07:15 AM

I read his manifesto last night--it's long and it took me a long time to read it. I am still trying to sort out my impressions----

1)you can feel his intelligence and he really does know how to write in a manner that engages the reader.

2)he really did have a privileged life--trips to Europe and Asia, money for anything he wanted.

3)he was out of touch with reality. he talked about how he would impress his college classmates by wearing designer clothes. Most college kids wear jeans and t-shirts. He must have come across as affected and pretentious.

4)seemed to have mental health issues right from the start-real problems interacting with others.

5)not an ounce of empathy shown in his writings for anyone other than himself.

6)there were warning flags all over the place. While on UCSB campus, he talked about throwing coffee at a couple of girls at a bus stop, taking a super soaker full of orange juice and spraying some college students on a tennis court, physically attacking some people at a party (I believe he reported this to the police as an assault and when they investigated they found he was the aggressor).

7)his problems relating to women are phenomenal. He starts out loving his mother but then feels alienated from her because she was after all a woman and could not understand him.
    8)he had delusions of grandeur. Oh boy, did he ever.
    Sorry I can't come up with better insights. It was overwhelming to read-especially in terms of the details he went into and his obvious hatred.
    Last edited by sierrarose; 05-26-2014 at 08:35 AM.

lovemymonkey Guest
    I couldnt watch more than a minute of his video....what a douche. I was turned down by boys in high school, guess what? I didnt kill any of them.

I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the manifesto. I have my own thoughts on it, which I will post when I am dome slogging through it. For now I will say I agree about the total lack of empathy. It's ironic to me that I am typing words on this blog about this narcissistic loser on a day dedicated to those who were willing to sacrifice everything for their country.

Anyway, thanks for your insights, Sierra Rose...
    Last edited by Upset; 05-26-2014 at 09:51 AM.

desertangel Guest
    slogging through is right... I'm only on page 71 (halfway through) and he's 19, so the whole rest of it is going to be misery, I'm sure. It's going to remind me of attempting to read Mein Kampf. I will need a king-sized Hershey bar afterwards to pull me out of the slump.

I'm amazed by people who remember details of their life when they were 4. Perhaps the stories were recounted to him? He has a way with words, as if a professional writer. Lots of red flags starting to go up. I think the parents shuffled him around too much.... don't think that kind of thing is good for some kids.

It's somewhat disturbing just how smart and even charismatic this fucker was. Very selfish and evil but still charismatic. Too bad he didn't just off himself though. I can only assume he was socially awkward in person. Or maybe even creepy. I can't see any reason why he couldn't find a woman though. I suppose he was as cowardly in the approach as he was in this final act of selfishness. R.I.P. to the victims and a great big fuck you to this loser.
    I am the king of all things stupid!

My niece is a pretty blonde senior sorority coed at USCSB. There were a few scary hours till she woke up and started answering texts. Thank god she stayed in and studied, then turned in early. We were telling her what happened, not the other way around.

If a young kid with money, a BMW, and Hollywood connections can't get laid or even kissed, then I'm going to assume he has some serious personality issues that are turning even shallow, easy women off.
    For man also knoweth not his time: as the fishes that are taken in an evil net, and as the birds that are caught in the snare; so are the sons of men snared in an evil time, when it falleth suddenly upon them.

What's so good about goodbye, when the best was yet to come?

desertangel Guest
    MY GAWD... there's 3 hours I'll never get back. Digging out the International Psychiatric Disorders Reference Guide, I would say Narcissist, Schizophrenic, OCD/Bi-Polar, Autism/social anxiety, misogynist. He probably couldn't get laid because he very likely came across extremely badly and may not have been very well endowed either. He should have moved to Seattle where there are more depressed people, he may have felt more comfortable and had a better chance at fitting in... not Ibiza-Girls-Gone-Wild-USA. Would a hooker have helped? Momentarily, but probably would have backfired.

It was so weird reading about all the places in Isla Vista, Goleta, Santa Barbara, Ventura and Oxnard after having lived in the area and been to many of the places mentioned. Just so sad that something so tragic had to happen in a place that's so beautiful and full of fun-loving, albeit cocky, people.

My heart goes out to the loved ones of those who were killed and injured in this tragic story. I feel sorry for his family too.

Quote Originally Posted by lulubaines View Post
    My niece is a pretty blonde senior sorority coed at USCSB. There were a few scary hours till she woke up and started answering texts. Thank god she stayed in and studied, then turned in early. We were telling her what happened, not the other way around.
    I'm so glad your niece was being responsible and studying. She definitely seems to fit his target profile.
    I am the king of all things stupid!

I'm guessing he comes across as very creepy if he sounded anything like he wrote or was in that last video. He also had some kind of superiority complex and I am sure he was not looking for girls he might have had a chance with. He obviously wanted the dream girl, blond sorority chick. His affected speech and writing style do not come off as genuine to me. If that's how he always was it's no wonder people/girls didn't want to be around him. He was totally creepy.

weirdgurl Guest
    I am very surprised that he was able to stab his roommates to death.
    i will be curious to hear more details about how that all went down.

Quote Originally Posted by weirdgurl View Post
    I am very surprised that he was able to stab his roommates to death.
    i will be curious to hear more details about how that all went down.
    '

Same here !! I can't see how this could had been possible unless they were asleep when they were stabbed or drunk however the parents of one of the dead roommates claimed their son not only wasn't friends with Rodgers but he was planning to move out so that leaves out the "partying" thing.

weirdgurl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by choff View Post
    '

Same here !! I can't see how this could had been possible unless they were asleep when they were stabbed or drunk however the parents of one of the dead roommates claimed their son not only wasn't friends with Rodgers but he was planning to move out so that leaves out the "partying" thing.
    Yeah when I read the "manifesto" I thought uh oh, these roommates are in trouble. That's before I heard that he had killed them. I wondered if he drugged them first. The physical challenges aside, stabbing seems messy, intimate and unpredictable. None of those seemed compatible with Rodger's personality as I understood him from what he wrote. On the other hand I imagine that it may have been a "release" of sorts... I feel creepy just writing that.

Quote Originally Posted by choff View Post
    '

In the manifesto, he actually said he was planning to stab them as they were sleeping..

It's gonna be interesting as to how the National Enquirer will cover this in their next/future issues. No doubt considering that he had male roommates, being a virgin and had trouble with females, manifesto or not the Enquirer will somehow link all of this to homosexuality. Actually I would be shocked if they didn't do this.