Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Waylon Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouya Ohtori Ouran Host View Post
    Especially the "country mixed with pop" stuff (I'm looking at you, Taylor Swift).
    I agree, Nashville finds the next untalented pretty boy/girl rides em' till their wet and kicks em' out in the pasture (I'm looking at you Kenny Chesney) you coudn't carry Waylon's boots!
    Those are my principles.If you don't like them,I have others.

-Groucho Marx-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim Guest
    At the end, Waylon was neither wealthy or healthy. He was selling everything he could to raise money. His people even ran a 2 page ad in Vintage Guitar magazine liquidating all of his gear. From guitars and amps, to light trusses and road cases. He even auctioned off a General Lee replica he had for some time. He obviously had a stroke near the end. His right hand was clawed. He would hide it the best he could. When a fan would ask if they could have his autograph, he responded "I have to rest my pickin' hand".

To add to this, I have gone through some of Waylon's last performance guitars. They were merely props. They were either completely non-functioning (one in particular had all of its valuable electronics removed with substitutes added and not wired up), or barely functional and unplayable.
    Last edited by Jim; 12-03-2011 at 01:15 PM.

I hope this isn't the case. It's sad to think of someone that devoted his life to bringing pleasure to so many people ending up this way.

lisalouver Guest
    I recently (last month) took my Dad to Charley Pride (LOVE HIM) he had a lot of diamonds on (4 rings and a gorgeous bracelet) - one of his rings he told a story about. He was brand new in the country biz in the late 50's/early 60's and was opening either for or with someone... after the show was over, he was driving out of the bar they were playing at, at a stop sign a block away, the person was standing in his headlights. He rolled down his window, that person came over to his car and told him that he was going to be a big country star. He then took off his ring and placed it on Charleys hand.

That person was Waylon Jennings. He has never taken the ring off since.

stranger_than_strange Guest
    OK I haven't been here for a long time and I hate to say it but reading this forum is the first I'd heard that Waylon died. I loved his music when I was a kid, my Dad played it a lot. RIP Waylon.

The song you were talking about was"Long time ago".

The song you're referring to is "Long Time Ago".

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    At the end, Waylon was neither wealthy or healthy. He was selling everything he could to raise money. His people even ran a 2 page ad in Vintage Guitar magazine liquidating all of his gear. From guitars and amps, to light trusses and road cases. He even auctioned off a General Lee replica he had for some time. He obviously had a stroke near the end. His right hand was clawed. He would hide it the best he could. When a fan would ask if they could have his autograph, he responded "I have to rest my pickin' hand".

To add to this, I have gone through some of Waylon's last performance guitars. They were merely props. They were either completely non-functioning (one in particular had all of its valuable electronics removed with substitutes added and not wired up), or barely functional and unplayable.
    That's really sad.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Waylon's son, Shooter, just released an album of Waylon's final songs, a vinyl-only release called New Stuff. I just got my copy in the mail. Apparently, when he was going through his dad's things he came across a cassette tape with "New Stuff" written on the label which contained demos of some new songs he planned to record before he died.

I recently had the chance to hang out with Waylon's old band, Waymore's Outlaws, at one of Shooter's shows just outside of Philly. Nicest guys you can meet. His drummer Ritchie Albright, who'd been with him on most of his albums, talked to me for quite awhile about Waylon and the years they spent on the road together. I also had the opportunity to sit down with Shooter a few years ago and discuss his and his father's music. He'd told me that he had mixed some of his dad's vocals with a hard, industrial sound backing him up. I said he should release it, and he said that was a good idea. It's out - and it's called Fenixon. I recommend it to anyone who likes both Waylon and harder rock.

I have a picture of myself with Ritchie, but have no idea how to attach it.
    "I'm down in this valley where the wheels turn so low
    At dawn I pray to the Lord of my soul
    I say dear Lord, do right by me
    You know
    I'm tired of being lonesome, on'ry and mean..." - Waylon

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Waylon's son, Shooter, just released an album of Waylon's final songs, a vinyl-only release called New Stuff. I just got my copy in the mail. Apparently, when he was going through his dad's things he came across a cassette tape with "New Stuff" written on the label which contained demos of some new songs he planned to record before he died.

I recently had the chance to hang out with Waylon's old band, Waymore's Outlaws, at one of Shooter's shows just outside of Philly. Nicest guys you can meet. His drummer Ritchie Albright, who'd been with him on most of his albums, talked to me for quite awhile about Waylon and the years they spent on the road together. I also had the opportunity to sit down with Shooter a few years ago and discuss his and his father's music. He'd told me that he had mixed some of his dad's vocals with a hard, industrial sound backing him up. I said he should release it, and he said that was a good idea. It's out - and it's called Fenixon. I recommend it to anyone who likes both Waylon and harder rock.

I have a picture of myself with Ritchie, but have no idea how to attach it.
    That is so cool, I would love to see the picture. That's awesome
    Last edited by BuzzyChick; 01-26-2018 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzyChick View Post
    That is so cool, I would love to see the picture.
    I just made it my profile picture because I like the shirt I'm wearing in it. Ha.
    "I'm down in this valley where the wheels turn so low
    At dawn I pray to the Lord of my soul
    I say dear Lord, do right by me
    You know
    I'm tired of being lonesome, on'ry and mean..." - Waylon