Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Jahi mcmath

weirdgurl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    How long can a person stay on life support after their body starts turning to mush? I'd sure hate to be the nursing assistants that had to change the linens on her bed. She has to be leaky.
    "leaky"? Love that

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by weirdgurl View Post
    "leaky"? Love that
    Maybe not the most politically correct description, but it got my point across. Lol

For some reason, the idea of sneaking a pic of her bothers me and I don't want to see it. I agree that she's dead, but the family is keeping up the pretense that she's not, and operating like she's not (with a level of denial that's truly awe-inspiring to me), so it seems a little cruelly invasive. I'd see casket pics in a hot minute, though. Something tells me it'll be a closed casket in the end, but if not, I want to see pictures! That's a weird line to draw, I know. I'm betting closed casket or cremation will be going on. I'm sure there is a point where a mortician will tell the family that they can't do anything with her body.

Well I would like to see a pic - sorry I am a freak I guess. Mainly because her family is so adamant that she is doing fine and flourishing.

I had a family member who suffered a clot in a major artery. She was wasn't declared "brain dead", but she was not there. She was in a coma-like sleep and never regained consciousness. She had a machine breathing for her and her organs were shutting down one by one. She was like this for about a month and it was not pretty. She was so swollen and yes "leaky" is the perfect word - she looked like she was sweating, but she was not. Her daughter thought she was hot and sweating and the nurse politely told her that what she saw was not sweat...

They decided as a family to unplug the life support and she was gone.

My point is no telling how long she could have stayed like that - and her skin was so swollen she looked like she could pop at any given moment - I just don't see how this little girl is not in a similar state. I feel for the family, but know when to say when.
    My Posse's On Broadway

I would hate being an NA performing postmortem care on her when she passes. That's going to be a huge, unpleasant mess. The stench will be in their noses for weeks and a lifetime on their psyches. Very sad to think about.
    In Loving Memory of Timothy Houdek, October 22, 1969 - January 8, 2013

My awesome dad: Harry Houdek, September 8, 1933 - November 20, 2013

Words can't convey how much I miss you both. RIP with love.

They can't let her go. Then they would give up the gravy train and have to find real jobs to support themselves instead of martyring out their daughter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Quote Originally Posted by Shejay View Post
    Well I would like to see a pic - sorry I am a freak I guess. Mainly because her family is so adamant that she is doing fine and flourishing.
    I don't have a problem with anyone wanting to see a pic, I was just (badly) trying to explain my own weird personal squick. I'm sorry you had to go through something like that with a family member; I can't imagine how horrible that would have been. Your family did the right and dignified thing by removing life support.

And yikes! I completely agree that the people who will need to handle this poor girl's body post-post-post mortem have pretty much the worst job! Awful!

I am very shocked that the family isn't parading pictures and videos around. If she was truly improving, wouldn't they want to record all of this to prove to the world and to the courts when they sue? My best guess is that she isn't improving at all, and probably is propped up like a Victorian death photo. The macabre side of me says right on, but the humanitarian side says let the poor girl go.

I really hope that taxpayers aren't paying for this. The money they collected has to be gone by now.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

RebelRocker Guest
    they are still asking for donations on that gofundme site.

Wendy A. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelRocker View Post
    they are still asking for donations on that gofundme site.
    'magine that.

I have wondered several times about the status of Jahi McMath in the last couple of months. When I saw this under New Posts, my first thought was, "THANK GOD! The poor child has finally passed away." But nope, she's still there, wherever there is.

My Mom was in a coma the last two weeks of her life. Our family respects life but are also pragmatists. In my Mom's case, we were told she was brain dead and were shown before and after pictures of her brain that made it painfully obvious as to what was happening. The doctor told us that my Mom could survive on a respirator and feeding tube for DECADES if that was the route we wanted to take, and if we wanted to do this, they would transfer her to a special facility. I went on to learn that the slang name for the "special facility" is actually a "Vegetable Farm," where people in a vegetative state are housed, connected to ventilators and feeding tubes, have their diapers changed regularly and are turned on various sides of their body to try to prevent bed sores.

In my family, I am the designated caregiver, meaning that my family assigns me to be responsible for all the shit they don't want to do themselves. In this particular case, my sister told the doctor that "we" (my Dad and sister) wanted to send my Mom to the Farm and that I (me) would go out every night after work to check on her. The Farm was a good 50 miles from my house and about 75 miles from my place of employment. At the time, I had two small children who are now teenagers. When my Dad and Sister told me what they wanted to do, I was furious and told them that I would NOT be visiting my Mom at ANY TIME if she was sent to the Farm. I wouldn't prevent them from doing it, but I had LIVE people to take care of (my husband and sons) and as far as I was concerned my Mom was DEAD. They gave me the big guilt trip and I gave it right back. Apparently they were okay with having my Mom at the Farm indefinitely as long as a loved one (me) would visit her regularly, but they were too lazy/uncomfortable/guilty/disturbed/busy/shallow/unsympathetic to go themselves.

At that point, they changed their tune very quickly. They decided it would be okay to remove my Mom from the ventilator but not remove the feeding tube from her. The doctor predicted that my Mom would pass within several minutes of removing the ventilator so the feeding tube was really a moot point. So we all gathered around as they turned off the ventilator and... she kept breathing. My Mom's HMO sent her home to be with my Dad, trained "us" (my Dad, Sister and Me, even though I was the only one taking notes, paying attention and asking questions) how to care for my Mom at home. In addition, they would send a Hospice Worker to my Dad's house to help take care of my Mom twice a day. To make a long story short, my Mom lived for two more weeks. All things considered, she never outright stunk or got leaky. As time went on, she required less and less liquid nutrition because her body could no longer absorb it. About three days before she passed, her urine turned dark brown. The Hospice worker said this was a sign of impending death because the kidneys were shutting down. My Mom did have a very faint, odd smell about her that apparently no one else smelled except me. I have smelled it several times since then when visiting very ill family and friends who died within a week of seeing them and in one case at a birthday party. At the party, I couldn't tell from which person it was coming from, but about a week later, one of the elderly guests died in her sleep. I am assuming that what I smelled on my Mom and these other folks was the odor of death.

I'm guessing that Jahi is holding her own and because she was young, could stay this way for years. I think her family is in denial, which is understandable. In the case of my Dad, the morning my Mom passed away, we went to the funeral home to make arrangements and then went out to lunch. My Dad was eating a salad when he set his fork down and said, "Well, shit." I though perhaps he had found a bug in his salad and asked him what was wrong. He said that he still thought my Mom would "snap out of it." This was after he was told repeatedly by different doctors that she was brain dead and in a persistent vegetative state, would die after being taken off the ventilator, that the nurses would no longer check her blood pressure because it was pointless, given regular updates by the Hospice worker, and even told that the dark urine meant her kidneys were failing and death was near.

For me, the worst part of the Jahi McMath situation is her mother's denial. I find the following excerpt from an article about Jahi's mother, Nailah Winkfield, sad and downright disturbing. Especially about the way the mother painted her nails for St. Patrick's Day, for me, borders on the macabre. Jahi is the identified patient, but the person who needs help the most is her mother. A horrible and tragic situation, I hope someone is reaching out to Jahi's Mom.

“In a phone interview on Thursday from the University of Washington where he is head of pediatric neurology, Dr. Sidney Gospe said he couldn’t put a ‘whole lot of weight’ into what Jahi’s mother had to say about her movements without a neurological examination. ‘Someone with expertise would have to characterize those movements as either reflexes or something initiated by her cerebral cortex,’ he said. Gospe added that a ventilator has the ability to help maintain a patient’s vital signs.”

But, as you would imagine, Winkfield was not dissuaded. As a measure of her determination, she quit her job at Home Depot to sit by Jahi’s bedside and relatives are caring for her other three children—two daughters and a son. Fernandez ends her story by noting, “There are many who have criticized the family for keeping a brain-dead daughter on machines. “Winkfield, however, is paying those critics no mind. “She’s too focused on spending her days caring for Jahi, giving her a manicure and pedicure every Friday, like she did at home. On St. Patrick’s Day, she painted her daughter’s toes and nails green with black and silver tips.”
    Last edited by geekygirl; 04-05-2014 at 05:13 PM.
    Any day above ground is a good day.

Geekygirl- was it kind of a chalky sweet smell? I live in the house my Mother in Law died in, and for months after she died, I could smell it when I walked in the house. I think a few years of us living here with an incontinent dog, rug cleaner and glade plug ins- I no longer smell it. I'm sorry about your Mom, and that your family put you through so much.

Without seeing what Jahi is doing, its hard to say if it's reflex or whatever. A week ago, we had to put down our dog- I held him in my lap when they did it. After the vet took him out of my arms, there was one last snort- just like he always did when he was sleeping. It scared the crap out of me because it was like he was still alive. She said that was a normal last reflex- but I'll never forget it.

I find it disturbing that Jahi's mother would rather spend all of her time with her dead daughter than her living children. How long can that go on?

Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeofEvil View Post
    Geekygirl- was it kind of a chalky sweet smell? I live in the house my Mother in Law died in, and for months after she died, I could smell it when I walked in the house. I think a few years of us living here with an incontinent dog, rug cleaner and glade plug ins- I no longer smell it. I'm sorry about your Mom, and that your family put you through so much.

Without seeing what Jahi is doing, its hard to say if it's reflex or whatever. A week ago, we had to put down our dog- I held him in my lap when they did it. After the vet took him out of my arms, there was one last snort- just like he always did when he was sleeping. It scared the crap out of me because it was like he was still alive. She said that was a normal last reflex- but I'll never forget it.

I find it disturbing that Jahi's mother would rather spend all of her time with her dead daughter than her living children. How long can that go on?
    What I smelled is hard to describe. It does have a sort of sweet chalky smell to it, but it also smells a little bit like canned dog food combined with perspiration and mildew. I know it immediately when I smell it. My husband thinks I'm freaky because I smell a variety of different things that others can't smell. A couple of years ago I could smell something foul in our family room that was driving me crazy. No one else could smell it but it was making me physically ill. I moved all of the furniture piece by piece and finally found the body of a long-dead mouse behind a heavy cabinet. Once I got rid of it, there was no more smell.

Jahi's Mom's behavior bothers me too for the same reason. She should be embracing the time she has left with her living children. It's okay to mourn the loss of Jahi, but it's time to move on. Just like with my Mom's situation, I refused to visit my Mom at the Farm so I could focus on my husband and kids. I hope that Ms. Winkfield is able to come to terms with Jahi's death soon.

RebelRocker Guest
    as mean as this is about to sound, i apologize if i offend anyone. but the mom will never snap out of it. she has no reason to snap out of it. as long as that money is rolling in and family is willing to take care of her kids, she has no motivation to be there for her other kids. that is very sad.

Someone who is in the dying process puts off an odor. I think it is from the lungs, I may be wrong. I have been around a couple of people who are dying, the body is dying, it is shutting down. There will be a death odor and you know the end is near.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRocker View Post
    as mean as this is about to sound, i apologize if i offend anyone. but the mom will never snap out of it. she has no reason to snap out of it. as long as that money is rolling in and family is willing to take care of her kids, she has no motivation to be there for her other kids. that is very sad.
    The truth is not offensive (to me anyway)

Well said

Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeofEvil View Post

This post just makes me so sad in a selfish sort of way. Just three weeks before Jahi died (for lack of better word), my own beloved Dad died on November 20th. Everytime I pass that hospital, I get so sad and say to myself "That's where daddy went to go meet Jesus." I had to go there today and I was so sad, it was bittersweet as all cardiac function tests including calcium buildup (plaque, which clogs your arteries and makes you extremely prone to heart disease) that were sone on my heart were O-K! From that point on I had a huge smile on my face.

But I was still plagued with Dad's final moments. He had a vent in place since his heart attack three days before. It was really not a hard decision to let him go in this case. But I remember wanting to remember him in life and asked his nurse (he was totally, totally awesome nurse) if we could close his mouth since it wouldn't close naturally after the endo-trach tube was removed. As we tried, Dad exhaled his last breath, with the sound of his voice. It was so sad, but I got to hear my Dad's voice again.

Now I've got tears in my eyes and need to pick up my little girl and give her a hard huge hug.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviatrix View Post
    This post just makes me so sad in a selfish sort of way. Just three weeks before Jahi died (for lack of better word), my own beloved Dad died on November 20th. Everytime I pass that hospital, I get so sad and say to myself "That's where daddy went to go meet Jesus." I had to go there today and I was so sad, it was bittersweet as all cardiac function tests including calcium buildup (plaque, which clogs your arteries and makes you extremely prone to heart disease) that were sone on my heart were O-K! From that point on I had a huge smile on my face.

But I was still plagued with Dad's final moments. He had a vent in place since his heart attack three days before. It was really not a hard decision to let him go in this case. But I remember wanting to remember him in life and asked his nurse (he was totally, totally awesome nurse) if we could close his mouth since it wouldn't close naturally after the endo-trach tube was removed. As we tried, Dad exhaled his last breath, with the sound of his voice. It was so sad, but I got to hear my Dad's voice again.

Now I've got tears in my eyes and need to pick up my little girl and give her a hard huge hug.
    Hugs and prayers go out to you, Avi. I am so sorry for your loss.

I'm sorry for your loss too Avi. I was there for my Dad's last moments about a month after you. Its something I will never forget- I've not really talked about it to anyone because it was not very pleasant. Yesterday, I had to take my husband to a different hospital for an emergency appendectomy- I stated to freak out a little because I kept thinking that the last time I was in a hospital it was watching my Dad die. Hubby is fine and already back home now, and I managed to keep it together for his sake.

She's getting an honorary eighth grade diploma from her school, and her uncle says she's doing "well." That word, "well"...I do not think it means what he thinks it means.

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/06/11/647...h-getting.html

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatgrrl View Post
    She's getting an honorary eighth grade diploma from her school, and her uncle says she's doing "well." That word, "well"...I do not think it means what he thinks it means.

I do a Google search about once a week just to see if there is any news about this poor girl. I see the charade is still going on with the family. I feel so sorry for her.

They need to give that girl a Death Certificate - NOT a effin' Diploma!

And if she's doing so "well" - why aren't the family allowing news cameras to go into her room to document this so-called "miracle"?

Give me an effin' break. Sounds to me that the donations are running a little low and they need to be out there in the media to generate some more $$$ towards the corpse!

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatgrrl View Post

Sounds like they are gearing up to ask for more money

I would love for them to prove us all wrong with a photograph of Jahi and show us how well she is doing. What is so hard about that? Oh, right, she is not doing well, at all, she is dead. I can't believe they are keeping this up. What do they think is going to happen?

Honest question: What does this poor girl look or smell like at this point? If she is dead like most have said she is, how can doctors or nurses not see this and declare her legally dead so this won't go on any longer?

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by *sarah* View Post
    Honest question: What does this poor girl look or smell like at this point? If she is dead like most have said she is, how can doctors or nurses not see this and declare her legally dead so this won't go on any longer?
    She was declared brain dead at Children's Hospital in Oakland, California and a death certificate was dated for December 12, 2013. Since she was declared legally dead, the hospital was going to disconnect her from life support and Jahi's family petitioned the court to keep the life support from being removed. The hospital released Jahi to the coroner who then released her to her mother and she was moved to an undisclosed facility where she had a feeding tube inserted and a tracheostomy. Her family insists that she is improving, but haven't provided any pictures of her. I also can't help but to wonder how she looks and if she has a decomp odor. I feel for the family not wanting to give up on her, but they seriously need to let the poor child rest in peace. The happy ending they are hoping for isn't possible.

Thanks Mammy. I guess I'd read about the death certificate and forgot, I read all the links months ago but couldn't remember.

If she is declared legally dead by the state then the parents are breaking the law, by desecrating a corpse, I am surprised that a judge has not ordered her to be buried already, since she was declared legally dead. It just upsets me that they can't let her rest and they are relying on people to pay for their daughter's care.

I feel really horrible for this poor girl and her surviving sibling(s). Her parents just want their 15 minutes of fame, without regard for the other children or Jahi's long-departed soul. Please let the poor child rest in peace

endsleigh03 Guest
    It's hard to believe this is still going on. It's one of the creepier ones.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyMcP View Post
    Her parents just want their 15 minutes of fame, without regard for the other children or Jahi's long-departed soul. Please let the poor child rest in peace
    I really don't sense that from them. I sense it is a combination of ignorance and wishful thinking.

And yet STILL no pictures or videos for proof!

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...stopher-dolan/

Wendy A. Guest
    every time I see this thread bumped, I get hopeful that maybe they've come to their senses and let her go.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy A. View Post
    every time I see this thread bumped, I get hopeful that maybe they've come to their senses and let her go.
    Same here

These are not very bright people

MinLynn Guest
    Oh and the school only gave her a diploma at the insistence of her family. It wasn't out of the kindness of their hearts or anything. Just another example of the sick attention whoring this family is doing.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Who would be paying for this.... if she is essentially a corpse, been declared dead, it doesn't seem like insurance would cover it or Medicaid?

MinLynn Guest
    I wouldn't think insurance or government Medicaid would cover all this. More than likely it's the fundraising the family has been doing and donations from those that agree with the family. I searched for photos and it looks like the only photos that are released are pictures of her weekly manicured hands "holding" her mother's hand. Of course Jahi's hand isn't gripping her mother's hand at all in the photos which I would expect from a live person who is improving to the degree that this family would like the world to think. It's a limp hand with a fancy manicure and that's all. I don't know what miracle this family is expecting. After this long...Even if she doesn't decompose before their eyes, this child is not going to come out of this just as normal as she was before the surgery. She's gone no matter what. There's no bringing her back and the donations aren't going to keep coming in. Eventually those donating are not going to just take the family's word for it that she's getting better. They're going to want some kind of proof. Otherwise, couldn't any of us claim we have a critically ill child and get thousands of dollars with no proof we're telling the truth?

Damn this is just so sad.... I would HATE to be the parents I would... Damn if you do damn if you don't... I look at my kids and think what would I do? I really don't know... I too may hold on to any little glimmer of hope that she would wake up. Or I might face the music and move on... It is just so hard to call.

Also, the story keeps changing... Is she being kept alive on machines or are they just administering a feeding tube? I keep getting different takes on that. I think that would make a difference to me.
    My Posse's On Broadway

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shejay View Post
    Damn this is just so sad.... I would HATE to be the parents I would... Damn if you do damn if you don't... I look at my kids and think what would I do? I really don't know... I too may hold on to any little glimmer of hope that she would wake up. Or I might face the music and move on... It is just so hard to call.

Also, the story keeps changing... Is she being kept alive on machines or are they just administering a feeding tube? I keep getting different takes on that. I think that would make a difference to me.
    She is on a ventilator as well as having a feeding tube. She has no blood flow to her brain and can't breathe on her own.

I wonder if the parents would have the same attitude if they had to pay for all this medical care out of their own pockets?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

gottaqhfilly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    I wonder if the parents would have the same attitude if they had to pay for all this medical care out of their own pockets?
    Of course not. They be looking for the gibs me dat lotto.

Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    NO

endsleigh03 Guest
    If that money is coming from donations (like someone mentioned in this thread) it IS going to dry up and then, maybe, that poor girls body can be put to rest.

Quote Originally Posted by MinLynn View Post
    Oh and the school only gave her a diploma at the insistence of her family. It wasn't out of the kindness of their hearts or anything. Just another example of the sick attention whoring this family is doing.
    Good grief, this family! So they are essentially jealous that Kermit D. Frog (dude can't even get Kermit' s name right!) has a PhD and their kid doesn't have a diploma which she didn't meet the requirements because she became overweight and went ahead with ill-advised surgery, experienced complications and died. Yeah, that's showing real intelligence there!

Look, the creators of Kermit have done more for the world and early childhood education than a 13-year-old kid who ate too many Big Macs, didn't have the gumption to lose the weight as doctors had advised and the family wants a medal in the form of a diploma because the kid couldn't follow medical advice and simply lose a few pounds instead of going through risky surgery? Good grief talk about entitlement all around. *smh*

MissZoot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    And yet STILL no pictures or videos for proof!

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...stopher-dolan/
    Hmmm, I wonder if Saint Peter's is still as much of a hellhole as it used to be. My experiences there were longer ago than I'll ever admit, but it was kind of a dump.

Some interesting stuff here: https://www.facebook.com/TeamJahiAFamilyInDenial. I am not saying I agree or disagree, just wanted to share. If you scroll down to a post from March 27, there is a PICU nurse who weighs in on the ventilator, trach, etc.

I looked at that FB page and I was clicking through hoping they were fake. The drop foot shocked me. A good medical facility would not let that happen. But then she will not ever be walking again so I guess it doesn't matter. Why would they position her with her feet off the bed??? I was wishing they were fakes.

The pictures of the nails are disturbing. At one point it appears that she is posed in a sitting position.

Mammy Guest
    You can also telling her feet and hands are drawing from the muscles deteriorating. I can't imagine why anyone would choose to keep their child hooked up to life support in that condition. Munchausen's?

MissZoot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    You can also telling her feet and hands are drawing from the muscles deteriorating. I can't imagine why anyone would choose to keep their child hooked up to life support in that condition. Munchausen's?
    No thanks, I just ate.

I personally liked the mother's proof that Jahi is improving because the vent is on room air: 'She is not getting any extra oxygen, just breaths.'

Sweetie, she doesn't NEED more oxygen than room air, but she kinda needs to be able to do the "breaths" part on her own before I buy ANY of this.

Mammy Guest
    How about her being bundled up like they are in Antarctica and her face being obscured in every picture? Do they have to keep her room the temperature of the average refrigerator to keep her from decomposing before their eyes, but bundled her up for pictures so people can't see what condition her body is really in? These people should be brought up on abuse of a corpse charges.