Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Traditional Country music

Mammy Guest
    DarlingMissMarple, I loved Keith Whitley. I think "Don't Close Your Eyes" is a beautiful song. It's such a shame that he died so young.

I know it isn't actually traditional country music, but I like a lot of the singers from the early to mid nineties that you never hear much about anymore like Travis Tritt, Mark Chesnutt, John Berry, Lonestar, Diamond Rio, Doug Stone, Sammy Kershaw, Hal Ketchum, Tracy Byrd, John Michael Montgomery, and Mindy McCready.
    Last edited by Mammy; 03-15-2013 at 09:09 AM.

Wendy A. Guest
    I used to love this song...

Good one! ^

Is Dwight considered classic yet?

Last edited by Nessa; 03-15-2013 at 11:20 AM.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Bidmor Guest
    Jack Greene has died. See my thread in Musicians.

Mammy Guest
    Wendy, I like The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, especially their song "I Love Only You." I also like Exile.

darlingmissmarple Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    DarlingMissMarple, I loved Keith Whitley. I think "Don't Close Your Eyes" is a beautiful song. It's such a shame that he died so young.

I know it isn't actually traditional country music, but I like a lot of the singers from the early to mid nineties that you never hear much about anymore like Travis Tritt, Mark Chesnutt, John Berry, Lonestar, Diamond Rio, Doug Stone, Sammy Kershaw, Hal Ketchum, Tracy Byrd, John Michael Montgomery, and Mindy McCready.

darlingmissmarple Guest
    Mammy,I think everything Keith Whittly sang was fantastic. I can't pick a favorite. When You Say Nothing AT ALL, Don't Close Your Eyes,Some Old Side Road, Homecoming 63, I'm Over You, Im No Stranger To The Rain.
    Well, maybe I can because I can't think of others just now. I loved the music of his songs too. It was just perfection for me.

Mammy Guest
    I like all of Keith's music, too, that is just my favorite. His voice was gorgeous.

stay_zee Guest
    I know every word to the Red Headed stranger album. My mom played it constantly lol. I also love Hank williams. I think Johnny cash was gangster I love him.. I also love Merle and George Jones. He stopped lovin her today......
    But I have to give some credit to Miranda Lambert.... Gun powder and Lead is an awesome song.. definitely a throw back to outlaw country.

I'm sorry but I absolutely hate country music of any kind (except 2 Johnny Cash songs). It literally assaults my ears and makes my life hurt. lolll It might be how I was raised. My parents never listened to it, nor did my grandparents. My grandparents had me listening to big band and Frank Sinatra type stuff, my parents were more into 50s RnR and 60s stuff. In the 80s my mom listened to Pet Shop Boys and Dead or Alive.

It's funny though because I'm really into rockabilly and music and lifestyle. Of course it's heavily influenced by country music. But there is just some line for me. Of course to each his own, its our differences that keeps things interesting!

darlingmissmarple Guest
    Automatic Betty, you are so right that. To each his own covers it in most area of life. For instance, I liked the Big Bands of the forties, but I never cared for Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Dean Martin. But I would buy for someone who did. I really loved Glenn Miller's music.

Mammy Guest
    I think one of the most interesting things about this forum is how different we all are. I don't care for Sinatra or Johnny Cash and I absolutely can't stand George Jones. Saying you don't like George Jones in this part of the country is fighting words. I don't like modern country music at all. I love your Mom's taste in 80's music. My Mom listened to (GAG) Freddy Fender.

Bidmor Guest
    My Mom listened to (GAG) Freddy Fender.
    Are you saying those were wasted days and wasted nights?

Mammy Guest
    You betcha! In the worst way possible! Lol

How many of you remember this T.G. Sheppard classic?

Mammy Guest
    I sure do. I love his song "Half Past Forever."

Wendy A. Guest
    I didn't remember it. I mainly remember the stuff from the early 80's.

Mammy Guest
    Most of his songs are from the late seventies and early eighties.

Most of his songs are from the late seventies and early eighties.

Yep, not exactly what i think of as classic

Mammy Guest
    I guess it could be considered classic if we were in our twenties.

In case anyone is interested, I do a "classic" country radio show where I play country music from the 40's - 80's every Tuesday night 7 - 10PM eastern time. I do it at a site called The Doo Wop Cove. They change the format Sundays & Tuesdays to country. http://www.doowopcove.com

Click one of these links to listen (whichever one works for you):
    http://mcp.stream101.com:2199/tunein/lswazzo.asx
    http://mcp.stream101.com:2199/tunein/lswazzo1.ram
    http://mcp.stream101.com:2199/tunein/lswazzo.pls

Just picked up a 2cd set of Faron Young. Awesome some from the 50's & 60's. Who remembers the singing sheriff?

Anyone like Keith Whitley?

David Allen Coe......."The Ride".........

Johnny Havoc Guest
    I love classic country: George Jones, Bob Wills, Johnny Cash.

I hate the pop-shit GAC/CMT that country has become. But every now and then, I find a country singer around today that does something in the spirit of classic that has a different vibe:

I just got back from a Loretta Lynn concert and I just wanted to tell my fellow hags that if you get the chance - go! She put on a GREAT show. Also, her kids were with her - Ernie, Patsy & Peggy. Patsy & Peggy are coming out with a record and they definitely take after their mom. They are good singers. Ernie, not so much. Loretta has got to be in her 80's now. She was funny and shared stories about her life and the stories behind the songs. I was impressed and I'm so glad I got to see her.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Bidmor Guest
    Great country lyrics in 2013....

Chew tobacco chew tobacco chew tobacco spit

Wo wo wo wo, wo wo wo wo, wo wo wo wo (plagiarizing Curly Howard)

Gonna get my pissed off on

...and then there was that contemplative ballad about a pontoon

Well, Willie and Tom T. are still around but their lyrics are too intellectual.

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Great video!

This is why I don't listen to country music. It seems more repetitive and cliched than today's pop or rap music.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Didn't know that was a thing...

Mammy Guest
    I can't find any modern music that I like, country or otherwise. It gets on my nerves and gives me a headache. My husband and son listen to the hardest, heaviest metal music they can find and I can't fathom how anyone can enjoy the screaming that is supposed to pass as singing. Even though my son likes that music, he still bought me a Dan Seals CD for Christmas. I didn't even know he had bought it and was totally surprised.

I wonder if anyone can recall the so-called "rockin' country" format that a few radio stations had back in the 90's ?? There was one in the Washington DC area called "Thunder 107". During the day they would play traditional country music like Hank Sr., Patsy, Tammy Wynette but mix it in with select rock tunes by CCR, Janis Joplin, the Allman Brothers even Meatloaf. Saturday night they would play a mix of country dance tunes such as Brooks & Dunn's Boot Scootin Boogie or Confederate Railroad's Trashy Women and classic rock cuts such as AC/DC's Who Made Who or Def Leppard's Pour Some Sugar On Me.

The format did NOT last.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by choff View Post
    I wonder if anyone can recall the so-called "rockin' country" format that a few radio stations had back in the 90's ?? There was one in the Washington DC area called "Thunder 107". During the day they would play traditional country music like Hank Sr., Patsy, Tammy Wynette but mix it in with select rock tunes by CCR, Janis Joplin, the Allman Brothers even Meatloaf. Saturday night they would play a mix of country dance tunes such as Brooks & Dunn's Boot Scootin Boogie or Confederate Railroad's Trashy Women and classic rock cuts such as AC/DC's Who Made Who or Def Leppard's Pour Some Sugar On Me.

The format did NOT last.
    I've never known of that being done around here. I wouldn't like it at all. Gawd, I hated "Boot Scootin Boogie!" It and "Achy Breaky Heart" are two of the worst songs of all time.

I've never known of that being done around here. I wouldn't like it at all. Gawd, I hated "Boot Scootin Boogie!" It and "Achy Breaky Heart" are two of the worst songs of all time.
    One of the first radio stations I had ever worked at played traditional country..heck well into the 90's they were still playing 45 rpm singles LOL. It was a good station at the time. One, well two mysteries when it came to the music. On our playlist sometimes was CCR's Proud Mary and America's Sister Golden Hair...never did find out how those tunes ended up being played there. Maybe the owner was a fan. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by choff View Post
    One of the first radio stations I had ever worked at played traditional country..heck well into the 90's they were still playing 45 rpm singles LOL. It was a good station at the time. One, well two mysteries when it came to the music. On our playlist sometimes was CCR's Proud Mary and America's Sister Golden Hair...never did find out how those tunes ended up being played there. Maybe the owner was a fan. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    I'd rather listen to the channel you mentioned than anywhere playing current stuff. What happened to country music? It's mostly a bunch of pretty boys in an ass shaking contest and their "music" is annoying as hell.

Mammy, you are right... What has happened to country? I had to stomach the ACM's only because I wanted to see if George Strait would win entertainer of the year. He did which made me glad. He is one of the only ones keeping it as close to traditional as He can in this sea of crap out there now. Don't forget I do that internet radio show if you'd like to listen sometime. Every Tuesday night i ONLY play classic country.

Not a fan, but I wouldn't be surprised that it went to shit when all that 'crossover' stuff started to kick in.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Wendy A. Guest
    I can handle pretty much anything. The last few weeks I've been homesick for the hills and have been listening to a lot of country music.

Rosebud666 Guest
    Country music died the day Billy Ray Cyrus released "Achy Breaky Heart"

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud666 View Post
    Country music died the day Billy Ray Cyrus released "Achy Breaky Heart"
    Didn't he just release a rap song or something like that?

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Markrich View Post
    Mammy, you are right... What has happened to country? I had to stomach the ACM's only because I wanted to see if George Strait would win entertainer of the year. He did which made me glad. He is one of the only ones keeping it as close to traditional as He can in this sea of crap out there now. Don't forget I do that internet radio show if you'd like to listen sometime. Every Tuesday night i ONLY play classic country.
    I love George Strait! He is one of my favorite singers. I'll have to check out the radio show.

Bidmor Guest
    Another classic (and I do mean classic as in recorded off vinyl by the dj, some are rare recordings) country show from the D/FW radio market is The Country Cafe, Sundays, 5 - 8 pm central at http://www.921hankfm.com/

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SydneyP View Post
    I love country music from the 80's.
    Me, too, seventies and eighties.

Welcome to the forum!

Although I enjoy many country "classics", especially George Strait, I do admit I LOVE Keith Urban. IMO, he is a fantastic musician and songwriter.....so versatile and a great mix of classic and modern......the man can sing it all and play a guitar in every way, shape and form. Just awesome!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Casper, I love you so much baby boy... waking up with you in the house is a blessing every day! Thank you for filling our home and hearts with so much love, joy, laughter and ever so sweet Sammy smiles! We belong together! XOXOX

Great thread! I am a big fan of the old school stuff like Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Buck Owens, and the Statler Brothers. (I think "Bed of Roses" is probably my favorite country song.) Cash was quoted as saying Dwight Yoakam was his favorite modern artist, and in my opinion he is literally the only country artist worth listening to at this point. Yoakam's last album got overwhelmingly positive reviews, and part of the reason is that its competition is garbage. I call it Country and Western Barbie: you take the exact same plastic doll they use for generic pop music, and just put a cowboy hat on it.

Actually, I do also like Junior Brown, who somebody else mentioned. That man can play guitar! This is my favorite video of his:

Mammy Guest
    Gary Morris was really popular in the 80's, but I haven't heard anything about him for years. I love his voice and never get tired of listening to him.

Bidmor Guest
    Gary Morris was really popular in the 80's, but I haven't heard anything about him for years. I love his voice and never get tired of listening to him.
    He's still around and touring and recording. He, like others, won't fit into the Country Ken & Barbie mold from which "country" singers are cloned by the dozens.
    Last edited by Bidmor; 04-26-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Been away for a bit. Got some cool classic country CD's for Christmas. An awesome 2CD set of Buck Owens and the Buckaroos the Complete Capitol singles from 1957-1966. it has every A side and B side of all those singles. There are 56 tracks on the set. Also got a 25 song Mel Tillis Hits CD. I just love the classics.

Got some good country CD's for Christmas. Got 2 Gary Stewart CD's, an Amber Digby CD and a Justin Trevino CD. Love the classic country music sound!

Never been a fan of country, but I do like Patsy Cline and K.T.Oslin.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    HaHA love it.