Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Amelia Earhart

Quote Originally Posted by tarsier View Post
    Is she dead?
    sorry, i had to ask.
    Well, even if she somehow escaped death in a crash, or survived some time after a crash, or faked her own death and lived out a life under an assumed name somewhere, she'd be 111 years old this year. So I'd say safe bet "yes", anyway!

Sorry, had to answer!

**Jenna** Guest
    Any time I read anything about her it always freaks me out.

1karenhb Guest
    Several years ago when I was around 50 I took my mom who was then 80 to Disney's California Adventure. While waiting in line at Soaring Over California (there are lots of photos of famous aviators) my mom spotted a photo of Amelia Earhart and causually mentioned when she was in her teens my grandfather took her to hear Amelia speak in Detroit where they lived. Afterward she got to meet her. I was totally dumbfounded to say the least. Why hadn't she ever mentioned this before. Her reply was it never occurred to her.

It appears we may soon know where and how she died - and it may turn out to have been on a deserted island in the Pacific, according to today's news:

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/article/673265

Little known fact: Amelia decided to learn to fly while she was lving here in Canada. During World War I she visisted her sister, who was going to school in Toronto, and Amelia decided to stay. She was training to be a nurse near a Canadian military flight training base, and it was while watching the planes above her that Amelia made the fateful decision to become a pilot.

guardmom2008 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    It appears we may soon know where and how she died - and it may turn out to have been on a deserted island in the Pacific, according to today's news:

Little known fact: Amelia decided to learn to fly while she was lving here in Canada. During World War I she visisted her sister, who was going to school in Toronto, and Amelia decided to stay. She was training to be a nurse near a Canadian military flight training base, and it was while watching the planes above her that Amelia made the fateful decision to become a pilot.
    Thanks Duster!

This has always been a mystery as to what exactly happened. I can't wait to hear the results of the testing, hopefully we'll have answers and finally closure.
    Last edited by guardmom2008; 07-29-2009 at 04:38 PM.

RubySlippers Guest
    they are making a movie about her starring Hilary Swank.

Quote Originally Posted by RubySlippers View Post
    They do have a similar countenance.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

RubySlippers Guest
    Yep...both a little manly, hard lined features.

Yep...both a little manly, hard lined features.
    Just say it - theyre a tad dykey.

RubySlippers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    they are really dykey...questionable, really.
    LMAO

They do! Good eye, Ich.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I was reading in a Toronto paper that they may have found
    some DNA from a make up kit that could of come from
    Amelia Earhart in a island which she may have lived for a while
    and never seen again.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    and never seen again.
    Im getting a headache from this sentence.

guardmom2008 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post

Maybe this is the paper that you are referring too. They are talking about the DNA samples from the makeup kit. I find it very fascinating that after 70 some years they may have the answers.

So how degraded would this dna be after being on a moist tropical island for over 70 years and what samples do they have to compare it to?

guardmom2008 Guest
    So how degraded would this dna be after being on a moist tropical island for over 70 years and what samples do they have to compare it to?
    The only thing I know is that they found some bones years ago on the Island and they are hoping the DNA will match. You are right and I am not sure how degraded the DNA would be.

MoonRabbit Guest

Diane played Amelia Earhart BEAUTIFULLY!
    If you haven't seen it your are missing out.

O ye of little faith. we will find out very soon what may have
    happened to her after all these years

O ye of little faith. we will find out very soon what may have
    happened to her soon.
    That would be cool but the elucidation would ruin the mystery which is the allure of her story.

Dykey or not, they're both fugly...

TheMysterian Guest
    Shark Bait!

I think Amelia was beautiful. not that it makes a difference. she was amazingly brave.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think it said in the article that a relative of Amelia's is providing a DNA sample.

scott69 Guest
    I always thought Amelia looked like a lesbian.

STsFirstmate Guest
    I perfer the term "handsome woman". I always have tought she was a lesbian in a business relationship with her husband.
    Regards,
    Mary (More than a tad dykey)

RubySlippers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    I perfer the term "handsome woman". I always have tought she was a lesbian in a business relationship with her husband.
    Regards,
    Mary (More than a tad dykey)
    LMFAO. Too funny.

The best casting decision in the last 25 years of bio-pics.
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

Giada Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    I think Amelia was beautiful. not that it makes a difference. she was amazingly brave.
    I agree with you Fin ... beautiful with splendid eyes.

I caught a brief news brief this AM ... products found on the island are those manufactured at the time of her disappearance. DNA is being taken from a cousin for a possible match.

Looking forward to a film ... and more info

Dane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    I agree, I think she was lovely. And as you say, more importantly, one brave woman.

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWrath of MadelineKahn View Post
    I think she'll be great in the role. I can see this more than I can see Anne Hathaway as Judy Garland.

Becia Guest
    She had really pretty eyes, I think.

This has always fasinated me too, and I'm glad there seems to be some new info on the horizon.

Forever-27 Guest
    and never seen again.

Heres an updated artical on what may well be the leftovers of her original flight. I had always believed that the japanese had shot her down and taken her as a prisoner. But who knows ...

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Sto...8160365&page=1

I shouldn't be laughing so hard at that comment, but I am. You could also say a tad bit horsey.

1karenhb Guest
    Did anyone watch PBS's History Detective's last week? One story was about a man who had a piece of an airplane that his grandfather had supposedly gotten when she crashed her plane in Hawaii at the start of her last trip. It was determined that it was authentic. How cool would it be to have a small piece of the plane she disappeared in!

Dixie Girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 1karenhb View Post
    Did anyone watch PBS's History Detective's last week? One story was about a man who had a piece of an airplane that his grandfather had supposedly gotten when she crashed her plane in Hawaii at the start of her last trip. It was determined that it was authentic. How cool would it be to have a small piece of the plane she disappeared in!
    That would be awesome.

RogerV Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 1karenhb View Post
    Yeah, that was a great find. I know several people who work on History Detectives, and it's rare for them to answer a question so precisely. Usually, the results are "it could have been." This was a definite case of "YES, it was!"

Northern Lights Guest
    George Palmer Putnam Collection of Amelia Earhart Papers

The world's largest collection of Amelia Earhart papers, photos, memorabilia and artifacts.

The Amelia Earhart collection offers a rare glimpse into the life of America's premier woman aviator. In 1928 she was the first woman to across the Atlantic. As an inspiration for women to pursue non-traditional roles, Purdue President Elliott invited Amelia Earhart to lecture at the university. Earhart became a part of Purdue and the university funded the purchase of her ??flying laboratory? that was to be used on her ill-fated last flight.

The online collection includes more than 3,500 scans of photographs, maps, and documents relating to Earhart. Copies of the maps that were used on her last flight are available as well as photographs that she took while on the flight and mailed back to her husband. Earhart's medals are also available online. These include the U. S. Distinguished Flying Cross, the Lindbergh Medal, and the National Geographic Society Medal. An interactive map of Earhart's flight is included on the web site. New additions include personal correspondence, her marriage license and her prenuptial agreement.

http://www.lib.purdue.edu/spcol/aearhart/

ShockDoc Guest
    I watched the trailer for the upcoming film, AMELIA, today. Swank has her voice down pretty well, and some of her body language, but there's a scene where 'Amelia' and hubby George (Richard Gere) are being romantic and cuddly, and that was NOT Amelia, at least not when the cameras were rolling. I've seen sound newsreel footage of her w/ Putnam and she has a hard time even accepting a peck on the cface from him, and seems very uncomfortable w/ being romantic. She treats it all like a big joke. Of course, Putnam was not at all the attractive type Gere is, but...

Nelliebean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWrath of MadelineKahn View Post

Agree!

Quote Originally Posted by ShockDoc View Post
    I watched the trailer for the upcoming film, AMELIA, today. Swank has her voice down pretty well, and some of her body language, but there's a scene where 'Amelia' and hubby George (Richard Gere) are being romantic and cuddly, and that was NOT Amelia, at least not when the cameras were rolling. I've seen sound newsreel footage of her w/ Putnam and she has a hard time even accepting a peck on the cface from him, and seems very uncomfortable w/ being romantic. She treats it all like a big joke. Of course, Putnam was not at all the attractive type Gere is, but...
    That's a great observation. I haven't seen the trailer yet but I have seen some of the old footage of the two together and would say you're right on the money. Hollywood does love a love story to fill the seats though, so usually if the cast, script and such are top notch, it's forgivable.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebean View Post
    Agree!
    Chalk me up as another in the agree camp!

I can't stand Hillary Swank so I don't know if I'll be able to watch this movie or not. Shame though, I'd really like to see it if it had anyone else in it.

Hippo Guest
    To mdespain38:

We can be thankful that they didn't cast Katie Holmes.

ShockDoc Guest
    Amelia and George had a home (still there) on Valley Spring Lane in Studio City/Toluca Lake area. Very nice, but not ostentatious.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Ich maybe she was using it up until the week before they found it! Wouldn't it suck to survive all those years alone and make yourself up every day carefully conserving your lipstick and foundation for seventy years.
    You go for a walk to gather banannas or papyas and boom you are eaten by a komodo dragon!
    One week later they find your shoe remnant, an old chart, your old makeup kit and your Daughters of Bilitis charter membership card.
    That would just be awful!
    Regards,
    Maryu

Richard Gere would look more at home if he were to be kissing Charles Lindburgh than Amelia Earhart. Sorry definately not a Gere fan. I actually loved it when they almost booed him off the stage at that 9-11 benefit.
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420

Nicki Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by scott69 View Post
    I always thought Amelia looked like a lesbian.
    Thought so too. Would have been nice to know her personality....sometimes that makes a difference. A friend of mine lives in Trestle Glen in Oakland. Very nice area. She says Amelia lived up the street from her house for a short time before her fateful trip. She said the Ceiling in the house was painted to look like Clouds with an airplane flying through it. It no longer has that....but possibly the rumor is true. She did fly out of Oakland on that last trip.
    Last edited by Nicki; 10-13-2009 at 01:10 PM.

c l p Guest
    i thought amilia was a brave and daring woman who has earned a lot of respect. and what does a lesbian look like?

Quote Originally Posted by c l p View Post
    i thought amilia was a brave and daring woman who has earned a lot of respect. and what does a lesbian look like?

It doesn't matter what team she played for what she did was incredible.
    Unfortunately alot of her accomplishments and records are paled by the fact that she crashed and disappeared. Look her up and all those records she broke she was a great pilot but not a great navigator.
    She was flying with unfamiliar radio equipment.
    I hope she did survive after the crash for a while on a deserted island.
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by c l p View Post
    Just like a straight woman only taller but sometimes shorter.
    Back in the day it was easy to spot us. We were issued flannel shirts, Birkenstock sandals and forced to get bad mullet haircuts if we wanted to be card carrying lesbians.
    Now all bets are off and we look like just about every type of woman there is but I think there is a particular type of handsome woman rather than pretty that gives me definate lesibian vibes. I would include Amelia E, and some other women who may or may not be lesibans. Emma Thompson and Kate Hepburn come to mind again that doesn't mean they are or were lesbians.
    I know that this is the sort of woman that gets my gaydar rumbling.
    Regards,
    Mary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KH.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	16226   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ET.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	16227