Thread: Amish Mafia

Nelliebean Guest

Amish Mafia

Ok, ..stop laughing. Has anyone else seen this show? It seems a bit fake. What's your take on it?

Well, I don't actually have TV, but when I'm over at friends houses I catch a little here and there. I don't believe in reality TV. Well, except maybe COPS. Most of that stuff is done for ratings, just like the repo shows, the beauty contests with children... it's all scripted, or no one would want to watch it. That's my take. I saw 10 minutes of AM and moved on to ESPN.
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

Wendy A. Guest
    Yes... I've seen it. I think it's mostly BS. I do however find the blonde... Joe Lynn? Hot!

We have a thread about Amish Murderers (or something really close to that) here in the Police Blotter section that touches on this stuff. And I laughed thinking, "really? A group of people whose doctrine consists of one of the most basic principles is non-violence has a mafia in it's midst? That's fucking ridiculous.". I mean really, I haven't seen the show but I find the concept hilarious and ironic at best. Are the people in it involved in stereotypical mafia activities including acts of violence? Or is the name just for shock value and to get people to watch? What do those of you who've seen it think?

this show is too funny.
    watch this clip and you get the gist.
    rival crime-lord 'Merlin' gets the ultimate penalty: shunned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6NihQWJsvw
    Delusion. Life's Best Coping Mechanism
    Check out Floyd's new Band:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHYA5iAAJg8

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    this show is too funny.

I don't know . . . that boy sounds awfully "English" to me.
    He'll just have to do what my great-grandfather did when he got shunned: turn German Reformed. Then he can even drive his big ole SUV to church.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    this show is too funny.

You're right, lol. And yeah, seems totally fake to me.

To be honest, I sometimes wish had
    a simple quiet life of a Amish person.

That being said have never seen that
    show.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    To be honest, I sometimes wish had
    a simple quiet life of a Amish person.

That being said have never seen that
    show.
    I find their sense of community very appealing. But a person can build that anywhere. And I'm not religious, so it'd never work anyway, lol.

I am gonna check out more clips of this show thanks to Johnny posting that one. Who cares if it's real or fake. It IS hilarious

Don't the Amish forbid crime/violence and being filmed/photographed? Haven't seen it, but I call fake.

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbida View Post
    Don't the Amish forbid crime/violence and being filmed/photographed? Haven't seen it, but I call fake.
    Well most societies forbid crime, they just don't all agree what constitutes one.
    You are right that the Amish (in fact all Mennonites, not just the Old Order Mennonites, i.e., Amish) have historically embraced pacifism.
    What most people don't know is that this posture resulted from trying the opposite approach. In the early years of the Reformation, just a few miles from where I sit now, a guy named Thomas Munzer organized an armed uprising of peasants that was put down mercilessly by the powers that be. After that, those who were left decided God was displeased with what they had done and vowed never to do it again.

Yes I'd say being on a reality TV show isn't very "plain". That alone might be grounds for getting shunned in some communities.

If things go the way they did when movie "Witness" came out, I'm sure that back home the Amish are all writing letters to the local paper denouncing what they have never seen. Of course they got a little of the Hollywood treatment, but on the whole, I think that film portrayed the Amish fairly accurately and with obvious admiration. The barn-raising scene always makes me cry, because it's so well done and it really makes me feel homesick.

Some of my friends and family are Mennonites (or as my friend the Mennonite pastor used to say, "half-assed Amish"). They get to drive cars and listen to radio and even occasionally watch TV. But I'm pretty sure they're not tuned in to Amish Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud666 View Post
    Well most societies forbid crime, they just don't all agree what constitutes one.
    Of course; I suppose I should have worded that differently. Basically, I meant: it doesn't seem like an Amish mafia could exist, by virtue of the fact that crime/violence would result in excommunication (I think? LOL). Certainly, such an operation would be difficult to maintain, anyway.

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbida View Post
    Of course; I suppose I should have worded that differently. Basically, I meant: it doesn't seem like an Amish mafia could exist, by virtue of the fact that crime/violence would result in excommunication (I think? LOL). Certainly, such an operation would be difficult to maintain, anyway.
    I'm not able to see the show here (at least not by legal means ). What sort of rackets are they supposed to be running? It seems to me that all this TV exposure would run contrary to their business interests.

I know that back in Lancaster County, PA there was an "Amish" drug ring that got busted some years ago.
    Where I come from (Wayne/Holmes County, Ohio), we've had the odd murder among the Amish. The most recent was a guy who conspired with his girlfriend to kill his wife. There's a thread here somewhere I think. But the only organized Amish crime I'm aware of in the area is an Amishman who got busted for selling unpasturized milk.

Nelliebean Guest
    Y'all check yer beds for horse heads!

Wendy A. Guest
    And their cars! The one with the Punkin' Pie hair cut drives a Mercedes, and the head guy drives a NICE Cadillac CTS.

Rosebud666 Guest
    After reading up on this a little on Wikipedia and elsewhere, I'm convinced this show is about as fake as fake can be. Local law enforcement says that they have never heard of them and if they had, they would be in jail.

Although what little clips of this show I've seen looks fake, there really is an "Amish mafia" of sorts. It's not the "mafia" like we think of in The Godfather but more like the guys in the polygmaist cults that go after the ones that try to leave and they keep all crime swept under the carpet to keep the rest of the world from finding out. Except these people have a reality show and that's not keeping it out of the public eye. That's why I cry "fake!" because they wouldn't really show what goes on. That's the whole purpose of those guys is to keep it a secret.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cowgirl Guest
    Rosebud666, your .sigline is giving me giggles in this topic.

"You be careful out among them English."

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
    Rosebud666, your .sigline is giving me giggles in this topic.

"You be careful out among them English."
    That's such a great movie! If had been John Book, I would have stayed.

I found this show hilarious, very entertaining and I wish they would bring it back. Levi and Merlin were idiots, they don't even talk sense. I saw Levi on Dr. Phil a while back and he just made himself look stupid, he never should have gone on that show.