Thread: Eugen Sandow - Father of Bodybuilding

Danny62 Guest

Eugen Sandow - Father of Bodybuilding

The most famous physique champion 100 years ago, indeed perhaps the first modern bodybuilder was Eugen Sandow. Born Friederich Wilhelm Mueller on April 2, 1867. He began his career as a sideshow "strongman." Early in life Sandow decided it wasn't enough to simply demonstrate his strength, but to actually display his muscular physique as though it were a work of art. He soon made his "Muscle Displays" the main feature of a Vaudeville stage show and at the Chicago Worlds Fair. Sandow eventually built a series of gyms across Europe, America, and other points around the world. He developed a successful mail order business. He wrote several popular books on bodybuilding and health. He was one of the first to advocate free-school lunches for children, pre-natal care for women, and donated generously to charity and to the London Olympics.

April 2, 1867 – October 14, 1925

http://www.sandowmuseum.com/

This link is kind of fun to look at also!!

great link,Dan!! Thanx

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity09 View Post
    great link,Dan!! Thanx
    Your Welcome! Cool pic's on the website!!

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Danny, do you happen to know if Harry Houdini was a body builder? In all the pictures I've seen of him, he seemed really buffed out for that time...just wondering, I figured if anyone would know you would!

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    Danny, do you happen to know if Harry Houdini was a body builder? In all the pictures I've seen of him, he seemed really buffed out for that time...just wondering, I figured if anyone would know you would!
    Harry Houdini was trained in bodybuiding by Alois P. Swoboda, who invented a form of bodybuilding, The resistance was developed either by pitting one muscle against the other or by pushing or pulling against imagined resistance. another one of his star pupils Charles Atlas changed the name to "Dynamic Tension" and made a fortune!!

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    Harry Houdini was trained in bodybuiding by Alois P. Swoboda, who invented a form of bodybuilding, The resistance was developed either by pitting one muscle against the other or by pushing or pulling against imagined resistance. another one of his star pupils Charles Atlas changed the name to "Dynamic Tension" and made a fortune!!
    I just figured you'd know! Wow but had no idea Atlas was actually a student of his! Thanks!

Danny62 Guest
    I just figured you'd know! Wow but had no idea Atlas was actually a student of his! Thanks!

I actually tried That Altas course a few years back, Seemed really dated. working out twice a day 7 days a week!! LOL

Well hell it is dated! The material is the same shit you got 80 years ago or whenever it was he started selling it!

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    I actually tried That Altas course a few years back, Seemed really dated. working out twice a day 7 days a week!! LOL

Well hell it is dated! The material is the same shit you got 80 years ago or whenever it was he started selling it!
    Who wouldn't get in shape working out 7 days x 2 LOL ???

Kathyf Guest
    Very interesting thread.

Danny62 Guest

Yeah I wonder if ole Charles really worked out that much? I think it was you exercised upon waking up and just before going to bed?

That's fucked up!!!l How the hell are you supposed to sleep doing it just before bed??

Apparently Houdini used his muscles to good effect as part of his routine. He would flex his arms and thighs and expand his chest as chains were being applied, then when he was ready to start his routine he would relax his musles which had the effect of loosening his chains and therefore making the job easier. If you can expand your chest by say three or four inches then that is a fair amount of slack.

Odd...he was relatively young when he died. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see a cause of death listed.

alas,working out only guarantees life in your years,not years in your life.
    Knowlege Comes With Deaths release

Heaven's on the pillow,it's Silence competes with Hell

"If you don't go to other peoples' funerals,they won't come to yours."-Yogi Berra

michellezearing Guest
    Aw the website is gone :[ too bad I wonder about COD too.

Arnoldd Guest

Lol its too much of working out , it can also ruin the body. Theres something else also to be in shape.