Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hank Williams

Make it soon. He looks like he's strung out but that could be because he is on the road constantly. He don't have a major record lable. He lives from touring. Im going to see him in Bakersfield in a couple weeks. I can't wait.

onehunglow Guest
    I love all these groups but in many ways the used Hank's style. Before Hank there really was no Country. Blues-jazz and big band, but Hank gave us all a gift that is timeless. The back pain he had and still went on. That's passion. Hank's style was also picked up and mixed with early rock. He was hand picked to sing, but his words carry such emotion. When I hear his songs I feel that passion. Bob Wils is a Prince but Hank was and is the true king of Country.

Quote Originally Posted by onehunglow View Post
    I love all these groups but in many ways the used Hank's style. Before Hank there really was no Country. Blues-jazz and big band, but Hank gave us all a gift that is timeless. The back pain he had and still went on. That's passion. Hank's style was also picked up and mixed with early rock. He was hand picked to sing, but his words carry such emotion. When I hear his songs I feel that passion. Bob Wils is a Prince but Hank was and is the true king of Country.
    Before Hank there was Jimmie Rodgers, Then Roy Acuff. But Hank is not only the King of country, he's the begining of rock. If there was no Hank, Rock n Roll wouldnt be what it is today. He was the first rock star. Bill Haley's rock around the clock is a out right rip of Hank's move it on over. Screw Johnny Cash, Hank is still the greatest ever.

onehunglow Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    Before Hank there was Jimmie Rodgers, Then Roy Acuff. But Hank is not only the King of country, he's the begining of rock. If there was no Hank, Rock n Roll wouldnt be what it is today. He was the first rock star. Bill Haley's rock around the clock is a out right rip of Hank's move it on over. Screw Johnny Cash, Hank is still the greatest ever.
    That was were he was so far ahead of Roy and Jimmie. They were laid back in style. Hank just ripped it. Even the Beatles said they mixed him with many of others style and found their own style. The early Beatles songs pre 1963 show that style.

deathhagcutie Guest
    my husband and i are big fans of hank williams im a big fan of hank jr and we both loveeeee hank wiliams the 3 his album is old school country and he looks and sounds just like his grandfather..i read in a interview that he said he "comes from a long line of bad fathers and i am one too"

onehunglow Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by deathhagcutie View Post
    my husband and i are big fans of hank williams im a big fan of hank jr and we both loveeeee hank wiliams the 3 his album is old school country and he looks and sounds just like his grandfather..i read in a interview that he said he "comes from a long line of bad fathers and i am one too"
    Well Hank never really had the chance since he passed so young. I really think he would have been a great father to his kids. Some times people are bitter as they say things they don't really mean. Growing up in his shadow had to be hard. I'd like to think the kids all got Hanks kind heart as well as his talent.

Plus, how can Hank III really judge his grandfather as being a "bad father"? He died in the back seat of a car when Hank Jr was just a baby. Hank Jr didn't even know him.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Plus, how can Hank III really judge his grandfather as being a "bad father"? He died in the back seat of a car when Hank Jr was just a baby. Hank Jr didn't even know him.
    Hank III probably has heard Audrey's lies his whole life and believes them. That woman spread so many lies about Hank. I bet poor old Hank is turning over in his grave with Audrey buried next to him.

ApricotRoses Guest

Hank

I'm reading a book right now about the Hollywood Death Trip, and there is a chapter on Hank. The author was with him one night, he said that when he shook Hank's hand, it was like shaking pure bone... skinny and cold, then he said that Hank smiled at him and his teeth were pure yellow.

This same night, Hank also had to jump into the back of a car right before he went back on stage, because he had pissed his pants as he finished off a bottle of booze. Poor guy, 29 and looked over 60. Left us with some great music though... thanks Hank!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ApricotRoses View Post
    I'm reading a book right now about the Hollywood Death Trip, and there is a chapter on Hank. The author was with him one night, he said that when he shook Hank's hand, it was like shaking pure bone... skinny and cold, then he said that Hank smiled at him and his teeth were pure yellow.

This same night, Hank also had to jump into the back of a car right before he went back on stage, because he had pissed his pants as he finished off a bottle of booze. Poor guy, 29 and looked over 60. Left us with some great music though... thanks Hank!!!
    What's the name of the book and the author? Sounds like it might be good!

Forever-27 Guest
    For the record Hank Willams Sr. was inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland Class of 1987. When I was at the hall in July they had an entire wing devoted to his work and life. Ive never real big into his music but what he did, he did well.

Jaxxx Guest
    I know he did, and said some bad things, but Miss Audrey was eating at him constantly, and he just drank so he could survive the pain. One had to know Miss Audrey, I mean no disrespect to her, but she and Lillian really were more then he could take.

Audrey? I have nothing but disrepect for her. She was the Courtney Love of country music.

ApricotRoses Guest

Hank Williams

The name of the book is LAID BARE by John Gilmore. It's real good so far, I'm only on the 3rd chapter. Like I said, each chapter has all kinds of dirt on Hollywood stars and Musicians. Man, some of those people were real sleeze balls!!! I got it on Amazon.

poppie Guest
    Hank Williams is buried in Montgomery, Alabama. There is a large monument to him which includes Luke the Drifter stone. For those of you who don't know, Hank also recorderd under the name of Luke the Drifter. I have been to his grave many times. It is in the cemetary on Lower Wentumpka Road on the way out of the city.

Quote Originally Posted by ApricotRoses View Post
    The name of the book is LAID BARE by John Gilmore. It's real good so far, I'm only on the 3rd chapter. Like I said, each chapter has all kinds of dirt on Hollywood stars and Musicians. Man, some of those people were real sleeze balls!!! I got it on Amazon.
    Thanks for the recommendation - I went ahead and ordered a copy for myself. That guy John Gilmore has written a lot of books - including ones of James Dean, Marilyn Monroe, Charles Manson and others! But I'll just read this one and see how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post

The pic of Hank in his casket is flipped...as is the pic of Elvis in his casket on the FindADeath website. That's actually the first time I've seen a pic of Hank in his casket....wow....
    "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's Heaven on Earth" - Mark Twain

I am so relieved there is a thread about Hank, it would be a travesty if there weren't!

Any other Hank fans read 'Hank Williams - The Biography' by Colin Escott? Great, very detailed book. I highly recommend it.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Noreen Guest
    There is nothing like the real thing, I know, but there is a great CD called "Timeless"
    it is a tribute CD to Hank with the likes of Tom Petty, Sheryl Crow, Beck, Dylan,
    and others that is very good and just filled with love for Hank.

Fascinating

I just read the biography of Jett Williams - Hank's long-lost daughter. Pretty fascinating stuff, and sad too - since Hank Jrs family pretty swept her under the rug all those years since they didn't want to share the "wealth" with his ONLY sister and to this day - even tho it's been proven in court that she IS Hank's daughter - and even is the spitting image of him!

And Hank knew (before he died) that he had a child coming and wanted to provide for it - but after he died, his family made sure Jett wasn't even acknowledged and made known. And she ended up being adopted out.

I have one of her albums, she isn't too bad of a singer.
    I was not surprised at Hank Juniors attitude towards Jett.
    I have absolutely nothing good to say about Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by shipmatekate View Post
    I was not surprised at Hank Juniors attitude towards Jett.
    I have absolutely nothing good to say about Jr.
    I have since heard they talk now, altho I don't know if they are close or anything.

Hank JR

I have since heard they talk now, altho I don't know if they are close or anything.

Thanks for the update, I didn't know that!

23. 05-29-2008, 01:37 PM
    Reason
    too much personal info

NOVSTORM Guest
    I was raised on Country. My Dad played every Banjo ever made and every guitar they ever made. It was a Hoe down every saturday night at one of the families houses. I have been to the Grand Ol Opery more than I was ever at Safeway LOL. I was little but I met JOhnny Cash, Farron Young Web Pierce, Eddy Arnold all of the old guys that were really country. My Dad had me singing country before i could walk. Kitty Wells was his favorite ,Loretta Lynn, I actually cried when Patsy Died , I wanted to be just like her.
    Hank Williams , when he died my Dad was sad. My dad said he had a booze problemand a pill problem ."taking stuff to keep him awake" now I gathered it was speed and that it caused a heart attack. After reading several books about him I think the EX may have had something to do with his premature death?
    I do not like HW jr. I think he is an Ahole and blames his booze problems on his Dad. I heard him say at a concert that it was "father like son". Poor Jett , they got rid of her period, so they didn't have to share the money with her and JR did too know her as he saw her at Grandmas. I tbink JR is a totla dick for nopt acknowledging his sister.

MRBALM maybe the bruises looked like brusies , but if he had been taxies around for quite a while before they found him could that have been the cause of the pruple marks?

Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    I was raised on Country. My Dad played every Banjo ever made and every guitar they ever made. It was a Hoe down every saturday night at one of the families houses. I have been to the Grand Ol Opery more than I was ever at Safeway LOL. I was little but I met JOhnny Cash, Farron Young Web Pierce, Eddy Arnold all of the old guys that were really country. My Dad had me singing country before i could walk. Kitty Wells was his favorite ,Loretta Lynn, I actually cried when Patsy Died , I wanted to be just like her.
    Hank Williams , when he died my Dad was sad. My dad said he had a booze problemand a pill problem ."taking stuff to keep him awake" now I gathered it was speed and that it caused a heart attack. After reading several books about him I think the EX may have had something to do with his premature death?
    I do not like HW jr. I think he is an Ahole and blames his booze problems on his Dad. I heard him say at a concert that it was "father like son". Poor Jett , they got rid of her period, so they didn't have to share the money with her and JR did too know her as he saw her at Grandmas. I tbink JR is a totla dick for nopt acknowledging his sister.

MRBALM maybe the bruises looked like brusies , but if he had been taxies around for quite a while before they found him could that have been the cause of the pruple marks?
    According to the book I read he may have been dead in the car for awhile before they realized it. Either way, he was awfully young.

Does anyone know if Hank III has the same drug/alcohol issues? He looks so much like his grandfather it's kinda spooky.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

I partied with him before in 2002 in Bakersfield. I have some pics somewhere I will post. He likes the blow and weed and booze. I don't think he is a addict like Amy Winehouse or Pete Doherty but he likes to have his fun. He was in a band called superjoint ritual with Phillip Anselmo as well around this time and that guy was a smackhead. He runs with a pretty hard livin crew.

I partied with him before in 2002 in Bakersfield. I have some pics somewhere I will post. He likes the blow and weed and booze. I don't think he is a addict like Amy Winehouse or Pete Doherty but he likes to have his fun. He was in a band called superjoint ritual with Phillip Anselmo as well around this time and that guy was a smackhead. He runs with a pretty hard livin crew.
    I remember Superjoint Ritual. It seems to be the general consensus that Phil Anselmo is an ass.

- R.H. Sin

Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    I remember Superjoint Ritual. It seems to be the general consensus that Phil Anselmo is an ass.
    Everytime I have seen Phil he preaches these sermons inbetween songs, That guy is so full of himself. I got to see him play his first show after he o.d. and almost died. He still wouldnt shut up. He just a racist, junky from Louisiana.

Me too!

[quote=NOVSTORM;268322]I was raised on Country. My Dad played every Banjo ever made and every guitar they ever made. It was a Hoe down every saturday night at one of the families houses. I have been to the Grand Ol Opery more than I was ever at Safeway LOL. I was little but I met JOhnny Cash, Farron Young Web Pierce, Eddy Arnold all of the old guys that were really country. My Dad had me singing country before i could walk. Kitty Wells was his favorite ,Loretta Lynn, I actually cried when Patsy Died , I wanted to be just like her.

Sounds like our house!

By they way the gent in the pictuer with me is Johnny Cuviello, an original Texas Playboy. I met him in March and at 93 not only can he still paly the drums superbly he is a damn fine dancer!

Everytime I have seen Phil he preaches these sermons inbetween songs, That guy is so full of himself. I got to see him play his first show after he o.d. and almost died. He still wouldnt shut up. He just a racist, junky from Louisiana.

I noticed that there's a lot of 'white power' type stuff coming from him, there's videos of it on YouTube. He just seems like trash with money. I like a lot of Pantera's music but I always associated them with meth using, Confederate flag waving speedfreaks. There are lots of those around here. I also took note that Hank III wasn't with Superjoint very long. He came near here not long ago, to Tulsa, but we didn't get the chance to go.

- R.H. Sin

Superjoint was basicaly a project. It was Hank III's band Assjack with Hank on bass and Phil singing. I have seen Hank III tons of times. He plays a country set for about 90 minutes then he plays his metal stuff for another hour. I usually leave when the country set is over.

2 1/2 hours is a little long, by that time my feet are mush from being stepped on and I'm sick of getting bashed around.

- R.H. Sin

tonysgirl4ever420 Guest
    Here are some pics at Hank and Audrey's gravesite

IncrediblyRotten Guest
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LijJw-0GITk
    Here's a good video on III. Yes he does look like his grandfather, and has Sr's inflection in his voice.

Quote Originally Posted by IncrediblyRotten View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LijJw-0GITk
    Here's a good video on III. Yes he does look like his grandfather, and has Sr's inflection in his voice.
    Wow, Granddaddy Hank would be so proud , "Took a shot of Cocaine and shot my woman down..."

I thought this might be of interest to some...

From antimusic.com:

He's already played the devil's guitarist, Jack Butler, in 'Crossroads', and now Steve Vai is portraying another conflicted sort - Hank Williams, in the new film 'Crazy'.
    'Crazy' tells the story of Hank Garland, the emotionally unstable guitarist who rose to fame in the early 1950s as Nashville's top session player. Elvis Presley, The Everly Brothers, Roy Orbison, Patsy Cline, Hank Williams - all of them turned to Garland for his innovative artistry on the guitar.
    Actor/southern rocker Waylon Payne , who also was featured as Jerry Lee Lewis in the 2005 Johnny Cash bio pic 'Walk The Line', plays Garland, whose career was cut short in 1961 after a crippling near-fatal car accident (the guitarist died in 2004). Ali Larter portrays Garland's beautiful but troubled wife, Evelyn.
    But when it comes to picture-perfect casting, you can't beat Steve Vai as country legend Hank Williams. No doubt Vai, always something of a fashion plate, couldn't wait to slip into Williams's flashy Grand Ol' Opry cowboy suit. And being that he's one of the film's executive producers, he had a leg up on the competition.

- R.H. Sin

Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    I thought this might be of interest to some...

From antimusic.com:

He's already played the devil's guitarist, Jack Butler, in 'Crossroads', and now Steve Vai is portraying another conflicted sort - Hank Williams, in the new film 'Crazy'.
    'Crazy' tells the story of Hank Garland, the emotionally unstable guitarist who rose to fame in the early 1950s as Nashville's top session player. Elvis Presley, The Everly Brothers, Roy Orbison, Patsy Cline, Hank Williams - all of them turned to Garland for his innovative artistry on the guitar.
    Actor/southern rocker Waylon Payne , who also was featured as Jerry Lee Lewis in the 2005 Johnny Cash bio pic 'Walk The Line', plays Garland, whose career was cut short in 1961 after a crippling near-fatal car accident (the guitarist died in 2004). Ali Larter portrays Garland's beautiful but troubled wife, Evelyn.
    But when it comes to picture-perfect casting, you can't beat Steve Vai as country legend Hank Williams. No doubt Vai, always something of a fashion plate, couldn't wait to slip into Williams's flashy Grand Ol' Opry cowboy suit. And being that he's one of the film's executive producers, he had a leg up on the competition.
    When is the release date of "Crazy"? I've been waiting for it for a while, since Mandy Barnett (who sounds JUST LIKE Patsy Cline) is supposed to star in it - as Patsy Cline.

msmojorisin84 Guest
    I absolutely LOVE Buck Owens!!!

Here is a pic from 2002. Its Ace Cowden, Hank III, and me at Buck Owens Crystal Palace in Bakersfield. He looks so much like his Grandfather it scary.

Noreen Guest
    OMG, he does look like his Grandpa! You guys look like you were having fun

Noreen Guest
    Steve Vai playing Hank....hmmm, I hope he does well

Quote Originally Posted by Noreen View Post
    Steve Vai playing Hank....hmmm, I hope he does well
    The movie is about Hank Garland. Vai's hank Williams role is a small one. Here is how he looks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vaihank.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	6646  

Tebssis Guest
    Just ran across this thread, and damn, took me nearly an hour to read it. Kept getting sidetracked by the music and pics links. Great post and recent pic of you and Hank III, Jefe! Have really enjoyed this thread.

Don't have any of my dad's Hank records anymore, but have a 78 vinyl collection of Bob Wills I inherited from someone outside the family. When I showed them to my mom, she said yeah, he made some good music, but he was prick. Of course, shocked (that she knew BW, not that she said prick) I asked how she knew that and she told me that my uncle used to play with him and she and Daddy had known him fairly well from the honkytonks. So, guess I've got roots in C & W too.

Almost forgot, thanks for the link to Wayne Hancock too. Very talented fellow. Love the standup bass and the steele.
    Last edited by Tebssis; 07-21-2008 at 08:11 PM.

doomass Guest
    HankIII is awesome if you like real country and his band AssJack are pretty good too. As far as Hank Jr and his sister I think they finally settled and they both control the estate of Hank Williams SR. This is my first post but just wanted to say this is an awesome forum. Good info here!

Mach2 Guest
    It's astounding to read Hank's lyrics. His writings are the words of a genius.He's an American Shakespeare. Look at all the billions we spend now on "edukashun" and yet nobody today can write anything worth reading. Our kids end up indoctrinated not educated. Look at people like Hank who came from one room schoolhouses. It's a good thing Hank never attended a "properly funded progressive school".
    Last edited by Mach2; 07-26-2008 at 10:54 PM.

Tebssis Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach2 View Post
    It's astounding to read Hank's lyrics. His writings are the words of a genius.He's an American Shakespeare. Look at all the billions we spend now on "edukashun" and yet nobody today can write anything worth reading. Our kids end up indoctrinated not educated. Look at people like Hank who came from one room schoolhouses. It's a good thing Hank never attended a "properly funded progressive school".
    I've always heard if you really want to know the history of an era, don't read history books, listen to the songs of that time and you'll learn the truth! I agree, Hank's lyrics were truly a sign of the times for America.

A-train Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    The pic of Hank in his casket is flipped...as is the pic of Elvis in his casket on the FindADeath website. That's actually the first time I've seen a pic of Hank in his casket....wow....

Wait a sec...the caption says four months later? What's that about?
    Last edited by A-train; 07-29-2008 at 11:50 AM.

msmojorisin84 Guest
    I have to say that Hank Sr was a wonderful artist. You could feel his pain in the music that he wrote. Beats the hell out of the music today. That was back when music had passion to it.

msmojorisin84 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by A-train View Post
    Wait a sec...the caption says four months later? What's that about?
    I know, right?

A-train Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by msmojorisin84 View Post
    I know, right?

Maybe he had played in Montgomery four months prior to his death? Idk but I would like to. Anyone know what's up with this?

Quote Originally Posted by A-train View Post
    Maybe he had played in Montgomery four months prior to his death? Idk but I would like to. Anyone know what's up with this?
    I don't know, but I have an exhaustive biography of him if you want to borrow it next time you're at the house!

- R.H. Sin