Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ritchie Valens

Khaos696 Guest
    wow hardly no replies on this page, well it's been 51 years, rip Ritchie High Tone Valens..

GuiltyLittleDeathHag Guest
    I saw the movie last night, always gets to me...I bought an album a few years back that was released by Bob Kean, the guy who I guess "discovered" Ritchie, he said and showed pictures of Ritchie with lots of different girlfriends he had while touring, which irrtated me, because I bought the whole Donna thing from the movie...But it still gets to me...17 is way too young to die and what a talented kid he was.

Quote Originally Posted by GuiltyLittleDeathHag View Post
    I saw the movie last night, always gets to me...I bought an album a few years back that was released by Bob Kean, the guy who I guess "discovered" Ritchie, he said and showed pictures of Ritchie with lots of different girlfriends he had while touring, which irrtated me, because I bought the whole Donna thing from the movie...But it still gets to me...17 is way too young to die and what a talented kid he was.
    Yeah, from what I've read, the Donna & Ritchie thing wasn't as long and intense as the movie would have you believe. In "The Day the Music Died" book, she basically says they were on-again, off-again. And I also have heard all the girls loved Ritchie, so I would be shocked if he didn't have a few flings with some of the lucky ones

STORMIE Guest
    I thought La Bamba was a really good movie and I have always thought Lou Diamond Phillips did a good job. The movie did make it out like Donna was his one and only true love. They didn't necessarily have to add that aspect to make the movie any more moving - the death of Ritchie was already bad enough.

Quote Originally Posted by STORMIE View Post
    I thought La Bamba was a really good movie and I have always thought Lou Diamond Phillips did a good job. The movie did make it out like Donna was his one and only true love. They didn't necessarily have to add that aspect to make the movie any more moving - the death of Ritchie was already bad enough.
    It's definitely good movie, and for the most part, fairly accurate from what I understand. LDP does a great job, but I admit, I was disappointed the first time I saw a photo of the real Ritchie and realized LDP looks nothing like him! And realizing that Donna and Ritchie weren't exclusive was heartbreaking

I saw an interview with the real Donna once and she said that her father really did keep them apart and if you recall in the movie Donna says "All those other girls" and he says "I don't care about all those other girls", I mean all this said, the kids was 17 years old, I guess most 17 year old boys would date around...But the fact he wrote the song about her says a lot, I think. He had a song called "Little girl" or something from what I recall and that song is very very sad and about having your heartbroken, have always wondered if he wrote it. Boy, anyone whos ever been hurt can cry to that one!!

I saw an interview with the real Donna once and she said that her father really did keep them apart and if you recall in the movie Donna says "All those other girls" and he says "I don't care about all those other girls", I mean all this said, the kids was 17 years old, I guess most 17 year old boys would date around...But the fact he wrote the song about her says a lot, I think. He had a song called "Little girl" or something from what I recall and that song is very very sad and about having your heartbroken, have always wondered if he wrote it. Boy, anyone whos ever been hurt can cry to that one!!
    Whoa, I totally forgot about that line from the movie about those other girls. I agree, he probably cared a lot for Donna, but at that age feelings can be intense one month and then lukewarm the next. I wonder though, had he lived, if they ultimately would have gotten married or if they would have grown apart as he got more and more famous...

smooches27 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by racingfan View Post
    Whoa, I totally forgot about that line from the movie about those other girls. I agree, he probably cared a lot for Donna, but at that age feelings can be intense one month and then lukewarm the next. I wonder though, had he lived, if they ultimately would have gotten married or if they would have grown apart as he got more and more famous...
    You are so right about how quickly the intensity of feelings can change at that age. I've often wondered the same thing about 'what might have been' had he lived. I'd like to think that they would have lived happily ever after, but I guess that's just the hopeless romantic in me...

I was at the cemetery that Ritchie"s buried at last Saturday. I didnt see his grave though. He is buried in San Fernando, Calif. at The San Fernando Mission Cementery. One of my best friends died and her funeral was there and she was buried at the cementery.

On the issue with Donna - looking on that "family" website that was posted earlier (http://www.ritchievalens.com/donna.html), she was with the family at the grave on the 1 year anniversary. They list the names and her's is listed as Donna Ludwig-Fox, like she was married already. Married a year after he died? That sucks. I am not really digging all of the posing by the record player and mailbox that she did back then, especially if she was with someone else.

"Nobody screws around wit' myyyyyy Ritchhhhiiieeeee!!"!!!!!
    Last edited by Shejay; 07-22-2010 at 01:54 PM.
    My Posse's On Broadway

Nelliebean Guest
    Great pix on Donna's website.

From what i've read here and there, they weren't that hot and heavy like they implied in La Bamba. They would date casually when he was in town, but at the end, I don't think they were even together...

I FINALLY watched La Bamba last night, I was singing as I fell asleep at 12.30am. Anyway I loved the film, it's great. I didnt like his Half Brother, Bob. He seemed like a bitter person and he treated his girlfriend badly. But love the music and Ritchie and Donna were sooooooooooooo cute together. Seeing him getting on the plane at the end had me telling them all ' No dont do it!' So sad he died so young. What if ran around in my head......

Quote Originally Posted by ***diana*** View Post
    Buddy was going to take Ritchie under his wing and help him produce music under the record label he was forming. How awesome that would have been. I don't know if this is already in this thread, but here is footage of Ritchie performing "Ooh My Head" in the movie "Go, Johnny Go."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaTOMsrVg5s

I just kind of got into this whole store recently, but I just wanted to thank you for posting this and to say this video is SO CUTE!!!!! I love it! I know someone else posted that Ritchie always seemed older, and I always thought that too based on the pictures of him, I think his youth really comes out in this video. Adorable.

I haven't seen La Bamba yet. I did put it on my Netflix queue. I was crying just reading the BH thread here and looking at pictures of the crash. So much that when my friend called I had to explain what I was out and out crying about. She said "don't worry honey, I always cry when that plane crashes in La Bamba". That cracked me up. I think because she probably thought I was just a weirdo (who sits and cries about a 50+ year old plane crash?) but had something to come up with to make me feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by Shejay View Post
    On the issue with Donna - looking on that "family" website that was posted earlier (http://www.ritchievalens.com/donna.html), she was with the family at the grave on the 1 year anniversary. They list the names and her's is listed as Donna Ludwig-Fox, like she was married already. Married a year after he died? That sucks. I am not really digging all of the posing by the record player and mailbox that she did back then, especially if she was with someone else.

"Nobody screws around wit' myyyyyy Ritchhhhiiieeeee!!"!!!!!
    I'm with you and I noticed that in the caption as well. Moved on quickly...

Guest Guest
    hmmm no pictures of them together....other than her at his grave...well she obviously meant something to him if he wrote a song about her..but yeah not as heavy as the movie made it out to be or even her "scrap book" the only thing that seems to have put her above the "all those other girls" was that he wrote a song about her...otherwise you would never have known they dated...no photos with the "love of your life?"

her getting married within a year of the crash isn't all that surprising to me...girls got married young back then and if she was grieving I can see it happening quickly...sort of an "ugly coping" action...but you would think her scrap book would provide more pictures of her and Ritchie together...more casual shots of him and her and not the pre packaged posed shots

oh well...must be nice to have a song written about you I guess

silverwaif77 Guest
    I remember seeing Donna in an interview on TV many years ago. She was kept away from Ritchie alot by her racist father. Plus Ritchie was out touring so it was hard to have a relationship. She gave me the impression that if he hadn't been killed, they probably would have been together, or at least really given the relationship a go. She seemed to love him very much, even after all that time.

Snarky247 Guest
    And here I was thinking I was the only person who still cried at the end of La Bamba...his mother's reaction is absolutely heartbreaking

I watched it the other night & texted a friend who is also a musician. All I said was "Why does he keep getting on the f_____ing plane every time?" & he texted back "Turn off La Bamba & go to sleep".

52 years ago today -- the day the music died. RIP boys.

MunstersBabe Guest
    RIP!

RIP

lisalouver Guest
    So many years ago.

You're sorely missed Ritchie - RIP

I bought the DVD version of La Bamba and it has some interviews and things with family I hadn't seen before. Not too long, only like 10 minutes, but it was still cool to see something new.

With Donna's name, could it just be that they've attributed her with her current name rather than the one she was using at the time? Most of the online sources say she's now Donna Fox so it's possible someone's just used her married name for some reason?

BringOutYourDead Guest
    Donna wasn't married until later in the 1960s, so that photo was using her name at the time the caption was written. She was still Donna Ludwig at the time the photo was taken. She and Ritchie were close, but not nearly as close as the movie would have you believe.

She was actually closer to Ritchie's family after his passing, at their encouragement. She even lived with them for a few months. While she wasn't going out of her way to exploit Ritchie for fame, it was inevitable, with the song "Donna" being a huge hit at the time of Ritchie's death. Ritchie's record company and the press had a natural fascination with Donna, writing numerous articles and staging many photos with her pining at the record player, with Ritchie's guitars, with Ritchie's family, etc. All of this helped build the myth that she and Ritchie were in a more serious relationship than was actually the case. Her father, who tried to keep her from seeing Ritchie, was among those who pushed her into the spotlight.

According to the infamous Bob Keane, Ritchie's record producer, Ritchie actually only wrote the opening couplet of the song : "I had a girl, Donna was her name..." The song evolved in the studio, with others contributing some of the lyrics. You can hear Ritchie working through "Donna" in some studio outtakes - they barely resemble the finished product.

One of the crash rumors that's been floating around was that Ritchie had a panic attack and was trying to get out of the plane after it took off. It seems that Ritchie was actually terrified of flying and for whatever reason decided he wanted to fly( perhaps he was in awe of his peers and didn't want to seem childish). Anyway, After the crash the Valens family sued Dwyers Air Service but was quickly settled out of court. I guess this started speculation that Ritchie had something to do with the crash.

I was looking all over the net for Richie related content and i came across this article....Lou Diamond Phillips was arrested in 06 for domestic violence...I'm beginning to think maybe he should have played Bob instead of Richie

On August 11, 2006, he was arrested for domestic violence at his Los Angeles home following a dispute with his live-in girlfriend[14] and future wife, makeup artist Yvonne Boismier.[15] In December 2006, he pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor count of domestic battery and was sentenced to three years' probation. He also was ordered to undergo one year of domestic violence counseling and to serve 200 hours of community service.[16]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

gossa Guest
    I know I read earlier in the posts about the collision of the planes over the school he attended (although he wasn't there).
    Were any of the kids that were killed/injured his friends?

Just curious! Might have something to do with that fear!

http://angiejim.homestead.com/crash.html

This is an article about the crash at the school.

On the Valen's family's website, I remember reading (I think under the FAQ section, but don't quote me) that Ritchie didn't have as much a fear of flying as the movie made it seem, but that in the 50's a lot of people were a bit leary of flying because it wasn't quite as common then as it is today to hop on planes all the time.

That was an amazing story. I never heard of that accident and it must have happened quickly with so many being killed or injured with so little time to get out of the way.
    I recall a similar accident in the late 40's early 50's where an airliner collided with another plane over a New York city neighborhood. As I remember, it was foggy and neither plane had radar ( not a requirement then in airliners). The planes crashed and miraculously a boy survived the impact but I don't recall if he survived.
    Seeing that accident in my playground would have scared me from flying!

http://angiejim.homestead.com/crash.html

This is an article about the crash at the school.

On the Valen's family's website, I remember reading (I think under the FAQ section, but don't quote me) that Ritchie didn't have as much a fear of flying as the movie made it seem, but that in the 50's a lot of people were a bit leary of flying because it wasn't quite as common then as it is today to hop on planes all the time.
    Wow. I never knew about this accident. It happened 3 years before I was born. How horrific for those poor kids.
    Cindy

andsowemosh Guest
    I'm not sure if this has already been addressed but..l'm reading Ritchie's autopsy file and it stated that the coroner found a bracelet with "Donna" attached. I'm just wondering everyone's take on this since they weren't as together as they seemed in La Bamba.

orionova Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by andsowemosh View Post
    I'm not sure if this has already been addressed but..l'm reading Ritchie's autopsy file and it stated that the coroner found a bracelet with "Donna" attached. I'm just wondering everyone's take on this since they weren't as together as they seemed in La Bamba.
    Perhaps 'Donna' referred to the song, not the girl?

Broomfield,Colorado. Originally from Meriden, CT.
    I believe the bracelet was given to him, by his manager, when Ritchie's song "Donna" hit number one. Don't quote me on this though.
    "So many faces in and out of my life. Some will last, some will just be now and then. Life is a series of Hellos and Goodbyes, I'm afraid it's time for Goodbye again. "

andsowemosh Guest
    I tried searching around again for anything pertaining to the bracelet and all it talks about is their on again/off again relationship. And how it was a silver ID bracelet. If anyone has any light on this, please post. It's one of those small things thats drilling my brain until i find out.

Broomfield,Colorado. Originally from Meriden, CT.
    According to Ritchie Valens' autopsy report, the bracelet was listed as "silver chain with DONNA attached". So, I guess it could've been an ID bracelet.
    According to the interview Donna gave Larry Lehmer, he quotes her as saying: "After he started making records, he was gone. He saw other people and so did I, but we never lost our affection." The book also states that the night before Ritchie left for the Winter Dance Party tour, there was a big party being held for him at his mother's house. Donna tried to sneak out to the party, but her father caught her and wouldn't let her go. She said she called Ritchie on the phone that night and they talked for a real long time. She said that was the last time she talked to him.
    The book also mentions a relationship that Ritchie had with a fan, while on the road. When Ritchie died, this fan came to Ritchie's mother's house and lived with her for awhile. Then one day, the fan just up and left.
    So, IMHO I think Ritchie and Donna were still close friends, but not boyfriend/girlfriend anymore. Between Ritchie touring and Donna's father forbidding her to have anything to do with Ritchie, I think that put the end to their romance. But, I do think they still cared for each other. So, could the bracelet the Ritchie had on him possibly be Donna's bracelet that she used to wear, or a bracelet she gave as a gift to him? I think so. Think of what a great song that would make!
    "So many faces in and out of my life. Some will last, some will just be now and then. Life is a series of Hellos and Goodbyes, I'm afraid it's time for Goodbye again. "

Mute Guest

Free ritchie tribute album!!!!!!!!

Mr. Miranda and Mute bring you the first official single off their upcoming FREE project ??La Bamba: The Ritchie Valens EP? set to release on Ritchie??s Birthday May 13th. The name of this single is ??Ritchie??s View? and is a deep conceptual record of Miranda explaining life through Ritchie??s perspective over a soothing, touchy, mexican influenced beat provided by Mute. Enjoy! Here is the bandcamp link for the single and the artwork is attached as well. Peace and love. MAY 13TH!!!!!!!!

Joses "Mute" Valenzuela
    facebook.com/mutebeats
    twitter.com/mutebeats

Link to the song- http://mrmiranda.bandcamp.com/track/ritchies-view

Mute Guest

Ritchie Valens Tribute Album

Mr. Miranda and Mute bring you the first official single off their upcoming FREE project ??La Bamba: The Ritchie Valens EP? set to release on Ritchie??s Birthday May 13th. The name of this single is ??Ritchie??s View? and is a deep conceptual record of Miranda explaining life through Ritchie??s perspective over a soothing, touchy, mexican influenced beat provided by Mute. Enjoy! Here is the bandcamp link for the single and the artwork is attached as well. Peace and love. MAY 13TH!!!!!!!!

Joses "Mute" Valenzuela
    facebook.com/mutebeats
    twitter.com/mutebeats

Link to the song- http://mrmiranda.bandcamp.com/track/ritchies-view

I heard something very sad, the Valens family lost a lot of Ritchie's things in a housefire in the 60s or 70s...I wonder if it was the same house he bought his mom? Dear God, that poor family!!

Beechcraft Bonanza Guest
    Yeah, the fire happened a week or so before Christmas in 1967. Not only did they lose their Christmas gifts, but they lost most of Ritchie's things, including a guitar, a gold record, etc.

And it WAS the house he bought her. It wasn't destroyed by the fire, but they borrowed money on top of it and were still paying for it well into the 1990s.

That is so sad beechcraft...I hope with the proceeds from La Bamba, they were at least able to fix it and pay it off as he would have wanted. I found a youtube video that is a very fitting and all too often non-exist tribute to Ritchie that I had never seen before, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyjgppkV0Ts&NR=1

lucilleball861911 Guest
    I have read that it is speculated that since Ritchie was only 17, and had been in the music industry for about 8 months and had many hits, he could have been bigger that Elvis himself. Seems possible if you ask me.

deanfan Guest
    There is an old newspaper article I read where Donna said Ritchie wanted them to get married when they were 25. So who knows how close their relationship was when he died. They were 17 & 16 years old, very young. She didn't get married a year after his death. She still looks very good in the picture on her mortgage company site. I've read she has a vanity plate that says odonna.

Quote Originally Posted by lucilleball861911 View Post
    I have read that it is speculated that since Ritchie was only 17, and had been in the music industry for about 8 months and had many hits, he could have been bigger that Elvis himself. Seems possible if you ask me.
    I've heard the same about Buddy Holly. Sad we'll never know.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I just stumbled upon this gem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mKHkz6A3Fk&NR=1

Quote Originally Posted by SRVFan View Post
    Thanks for finding this! He sounds wonderful here, as always.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Didn't know that was a thing...

Those who saw Ritchie live claim he was fantastic and electrified the audience. Often stealing the show from other performers.

truthsearcher79 Guest
    Wow...really been a long time since anyone commented on this thread. He would of surpassed Elvis if he had lived.
    Can't wait for the new documentary to come out! If you don't know about it just google Gotta Travel On the winter dance party odyssey..supposed to have many unreleased photos and possibly archive concert footage! Imagine seeing actual live footage of ritchie besides the ooh my head video from Go johnny Go...that would be crazy

We were discussing him on the Buddy Holly thread and had a little debate on whether he could be considered a "one hit wonder."

Like beating a dead horse! Will this deabte ever end? Ritchie had 3 hits before his untimely death and who knows how far his career would have went. But bigger than Elvis?