Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ritchie Valens

onehunglow Guest

Ritchie Valens

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuC9c...related&search=

This song is done with 440 A standard tuning. F or F#. If I remember right Richie does it in F. For the pickers out there. If you can't play a 4P F use bars. Then crank the stereo and the Marshall and have at it.

DoubleZ1013 Guest
    Is it true that his head was totally messed up to the point that it was unrecognizable? I often wondered if he, Buddy, and the Bopper had viewing at their funerals

Gary Guest
    It's true, Richie was a mess. He was identified by the tattoo on his arm. "RV"
    I know Bopper had a closed casket service and I'm pretty sure the others did, too.

onehunglow Guest

Most of

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    It's true, Richie was a mess. He was identified by the tattoo on his arm. "RV"
    I know Bopper had a closed casket service and I'm pretty sure the others did, too.
    Most of Buddy'd head was gone. Split down the middle.

BamaDeathHag Guest
    Poor Ritchie....he was so talented

dirttrackdemon3 Guest
    i know in "labamba" he has visions of a plane killing someone, did he really have dreams about his own death??

Suzanne30 Guest
    Richie had a fear of flying after his best friend was killed when two airplanes collided, and the wreckage fell on him.

dirttrackdemon3 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne30 View Post
    Richie had a fear of flying after his best friend was killed when two airplanes collided, and the wreckage fell on him.

ahh...i see! i never could get that part in the movie. thats one hell of a way to go huh?

Suzanne30 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dirttrackdemon3 View Post
    ahh...i see! i never could get that part in the movie. thats one hell of a way to go huh?
    Yep. Imagine how scared he must have been.

RICHIEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! <cue Sleepwalk>

DoubleZ1013 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by onehunglow View Post
    Most of Buddy'd head was gone. Split down the middle.

I ask because I was reading about the exhuming of the Big Bopper and the description was that you could tell it was him save for a indentation on his scalp which was when the morticians patched him up.

I always thought that Buddy's head was split like a hinged lid (all the way around). I didn't know it was down the middle.

mommafreak Guest
    now that song is stuck in my head. i need to close my office door.

Cataroo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mommafreak View Post
    Nice to see that I'm not the only person hard at "work" ... lol!

tuesdays_jupiter Guest
    so sad, so young, such a horrible way to go

monroe27 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jason8478 View Post
    When we were younger, my cousin for some reason would crack up at this part. His brother would always smack him upside the head and be like" Dude it's not funny". Memories Anyway, I got that movie for my birthday from my sis, when we were younger, we watched it so much we knew every word. Ritchie Valens rules!!

Mamma Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by monroe27 View Post
    When we were younger, my cousin for some reason would crack up at this part. His brother would always smack him upside the head and be like" Dude it's not funny".
    Now THAT was funny. Dude, haha.

It really is a good movie, La Bamba. Watching Lou Diamond Philips in one of those behind the scenes interviews, Richie's family was really pleased with his performance. I think that is mentioned on Scotts FAD bio as well.

Khaos696 Guest
    All 3 had closed caskets. I found it hard to believe that Buddy's wife didn't attend his funeral..

Tornillo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaos696 View Post
    All 3 had closed caskets. I found it hard to believe that Buddy's wife didn't attend his funeral..
    It was and she did not. She was suffering a miscarriage at the time and didn't really feel welcome in Lubbock.

The Holleys had endured a bunch of crap in Lubbock because Buddy "married a Mexican." Of course, Maria Elena was Puerto Rican, but it didn't matter. There are still people there who are angry about it.

D3LIVIÃ?N Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mommafreak View Post
    I have had Ohhhh Donna stuck in my head on repeat for a few minutes now, If Iâ??m still hearing it in a few hours I might be going mad.

That movie really is a guilty pleasure for me once in awhile though.

RoRo Guest
    good info on the FAD site if you read the autopsy reports and the pics as well of course
    I love Ritchie Valens music and loved the movie LaBamba

unihikid Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jason8478 View Post
    although thats a good song/scene part i was thinking of when his mom is hanging up the clothes and "over the mountain" comes on and she says "not my reeeeeche",thats a great song.

Dylgem22 Guest
    I love that movie!! Thats one I can watch over and over, and yes, I know it pretty much word for word.. LOL but it really got me interested in learning more about Ritchie's life .. I knew of his music and the story of how he died, just not much more when it came to his short life, etc ..

RIP Ritchie!!

Queen_Death_Hag Guest
    Try this book I read it a couple years ago. I am sure it is on amazon.

Ritchie Valens: The 1st Latino Rocker By Beverly Mendheim

He also has a website

www.ritchievalens.com

Quote Originally Posted by Delivian View Post
    I have had Ohhhh Donna stuck in my head on repeat for a few minutes now, If Iâ??m still hearing it in a few hours I might be going mad.

That movie really is a guilty pleasure for me once in awhile though.

In 1967 I put the record Donna on my record player. I was listening to the tune when my brother came in and told me that my cousin who was also my best friend had been killed about 2 hour ago. My life had changed forever by the time the song ended.

I remember watching the movie La Bamba. One small flaw in it though. At the end of the movie Rick Dees played a TV Reporter covering Ritchie's death.

Ah..they didn't have TV reporters at the time Ritchie was killed. Films yes, but not reporters. That was reserved for newspapers.

Also at the time La Bamba came out in 1987 there was a brief craze of using that song in TV ads. One I remember was for some microwave popcorn.

ksol Guest
    La Bamba is one of my favorite movies, it makes me cry everytime I watch it.

Dylgem22 Guest
    ** bump **

Dylgem22 Guest
    I too love La Bamba .. its on my top all time movies list .. and no matter how many times I have seen it, I still cry .. the last scene is so touching!!

I had been interested in Ritchie ever since I saw this movie .. so I looked up stuff on him .. I have learned new stuff from this thread as well!!

Broomfield,Colorado. Originally from Meriden, CT.
    Being a HUGE Buddy Holly fan, I know there are plenty of books out there about just Buddy. However, not too much info about Ritchie and The Big Bopper exhist in print. There is one book, however, that I consider THE definitive history of the final days of all three of the musicians and the aftermath of the plane crash. It is called "The Day The Music Died", by Larry Lehmer. I got my copy at Amazon. This book includes exhaustive research that the author did, to try and piece together the final days before the plane crash. He interviewed just about every relative and friend of the victims, that were still alive, when the book was written. I highly recommend this book to anybody who is a fan of either Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens or The Big Bopper.
    "So many faces in and out of my life. Some will last, some will just be now and then. Life is a series of Hellos and Goodbyes, I'm afraid it's time for Goodbye again. "

Quote Originally Posted by Dylgem22 View Post
    I too love La Bamba .. its on my top all time movies list .. and no matter how many times I have seen it, I still cry .. the last scene is so touching!!

I had been interested in Ritchie ever since I saw this movie .. so I looked up stuff on him .. I have learned new stuff from this thread as well!!
    What makes me cry my eyes out is the scene at the end where Richie's brother screams "Riiiiiiiiicheeeeeeeeeeee!" i could cry right now just thinking about it.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Dylgem22 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    What makes me cry my eyes out is the scene at the end where Richie's brother screams "Riiiiiiiiicheeeeeeeeeeee!" i could cry right now just thinking about it.

Oh I know!! That is the part I was talking about .. although I always start to tear up on the scene where it shows the tour bus outside the Surf Ballroom .. because you just know what is going to happen .. and then when Bob screams out his name and it shows them running up the hill chasing eachother, laughing ... tear-jerker!!

texasbelle5 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleZ1013 View Post
    I ask because I was reading about the exhuming of the Big Bopper and the description was that you could tell it was him save for a indentation on his scalp which was when the morticians patched him up.

I always thought that Buddy's head was split like a hinged lid (all the way around). I didn't know it was down the middle.
    Jape Richardson (The BigBopper) and I share the same home town, Beaumont/Port arthur, Texas. I was only 15 months old when Jape was killed so I have no memory of that. But I grew up with the legend that was the BB. Jay Jape's son Jay Richardson was born in May 1959, 3 months after Jape's death to Jape's widow.

I may be mistaken, but the BB had an open casket funeral. He is buried at Forest Lawn cemetery in Beaumont, TX. Last year he was exhumed and was exrayed by a forensics anthropolgist to quiet rumors that Jape had suffered a gunshot wound. Son Jay was present for the opening of his Dad's casket. Other observers said the smell was still pretty intense, but the casket was dry inside-no water damage. The doc determined that Jape died on impact, broken neck and legs. after the exam, Jay spent some time alone with his Dad before they put Jape in a new casket and re buried him at a new spot at Forest Lawn. Once again there is an historical marker at the burial site.

Reporters asked Jay who he felt was in the casket- the Big Bopper persona or his Dad Jape Richardson. Jay replied "Oh my dad definitely. The Big Bopper would have never worn that tie."

Kristal Guest
    Did anyone ever see the Behind the Music on the crash? As a Ritchie fan, I found it to be pretty comprehensive and it showed a lot of pictures i'd never seen before. He has a boxed set out that is pretty awesome. For a while it was hard to find anything but a greatest hits cd on him. It's amazing that a seventeen year old with an eight month career could make music in 1959 that remains a classic today. Such a sad sad ending.

leevancleef Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    i know , that scene kills me every time i watch the film

leevancleef Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristal View Post
    Did anyone ever see the Behind the Music on the crash? As a Ritchie fan, I found it to be pretty comprehensive and it showed a lot of pictures i'd never seen before. He has a boxed set out that is pretty awesome. For a while it was hard to find anything but a greatest hits cd on him. It's amazing that a seventeen year old with an eight month career could make music in 1959 that remains a classic today. Such a sad sad ending.

He would have been a HUGE STAR, had he lived..... i cant believe how much he achieved in only 17 years.... its really sad to think about it.... so much talent was last that night.

jimmy's One Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaDeathHag View Post
    Poor Ritchie....he was so talented
    Yes.. very talented

Guest Guest
    I always cry watching the end of La Bamba..... when his mom say "not my Richie, Bob....not my Richie" I always lose it...............

Both my husband and my oldest son is name Richie...........

I can't even listen to "Sleepwalk".....we used it once in a drama and my hubby was in the casket while this song was playing....his mom and his brother had to walk out during that part of the play

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by "What Tha....?" View Post
    Being a HUGE Buddy Holly fan, I know there are plenty of books out there about just Buddy. However, not too much info about Ritchie and The Big Bopper exhist in print. There is one book, however, that I consider THE definitive history of the final days of all three of the musicians and the aftermath of the plane crash. It is called "The Day The Music Died", by Larry Lehmer. I got my copy at Amazon. This book includes exhaustive research that the author did, to try and piece together the final days before the plane crash. He interviewed just about every relative and friend of the victims, that were still alive, when the book was written. I highly recommend this book to anybody who is a fan of either Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens or The Big Bopper.
    Fantastic book. I have an autographed copy I would not part with for the world. I had it signed by Lehmer at the Winter Dance Party in Clear Lake the year it came out. Lehmer really did his homework for that book.

susalu Guest
    i AM SO KICKASS! I AM ALMOST THERE! TRYING TO BEST THE LAST POSTER ON ALL CATEGORIES!

Blackdressdoll Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristal View Post
    i'm not a big fan, but i like what i've heard so far. i didn't know he was 17 though. what a huge lost!

I love Ritchie!

Broomfield,Colorado. Originally from Meriden, CT.
    Don't know if it's still around, but there was once a record released after his death. I think it's called "From Pacoima High School". He went back to his old high school, one day and just brought his amp and guitar out to the football field and started playing for anybody that was there. The sound was marginal at best, but I always thought that was pretty cool!
    "So many faces in and out of my life. Some will last, some will just be now and then. Life is a series of Hellos and Goodbyes, I'm afraid it's time for Goodbye again. "

jimmy's One Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ksol View Post
    La Bamba is one of my favorite movies, it makes me cry everytime I watch it.
    I watched It last night.. i had never seen it before...he was a really nice guy, soooo sad

desertangel Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by monroe27 View Post
    When we were younger, my cousin for some reason would crack up at this part. His brother would always smack him upside the head and be like" Dude it's not funny". Memories Anyway, I got that movie for my birthday from my sis, when we were younger, we watched it so much we knew every word. Ritchie Valens rules!!
    My daughter and I saw LaBamba in the theater. I had momentarily forgotten that he died in the plane crash, so when that part came on, my daughter started laughing and crying at the same time and saying "why didn't you warn me?" She was about 12 at the time. I remember feeling like a bad mother, but was also wondering if my daughter was "okay." Don't think I'd ever really seen someone laugh and cry at the same time, especially at something like that. I was a little worried. People deal with these things differently, don't they.

Glamrock Princess Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tornillo View Post
    It was and she did not. She was suffering a miscarriage at the time and didn't really feel welcome in Lubbock.

The Holleys had endured a bunch of crap in Lubbock because Buddy "married a Mexican." Of course, Maria Elena was Puerto Rican, but it didn't matter. There are still people there who are angry about it.
    I felt so sorry for her that she lost the baby

Gary Guest
    There was no baby, she lied about that..........read the Holly thread.

Sigh....Gosh I love Ritchie

RubySlippers Guest
    i lived in the neighborhood that richie lived and went to school. the junior high we both went to was Pacoima Jr. High and this mural is painted on the side of a classroom. i passed it everyday.
    http://www.hankstermania.com/Measure...ts/RVMURAL.JPG

they also filmed a lot of La Bamba in Sepulveda (the dances, garage band scenes) which is called North Hills now. The school where the scene with the dream sequence of the plane crash is Pacoima Jr. High and it really happened when he was on the playground. The scenes of him and Donna were filmed at San Fernando High - where he went for a short time before touring.

johnf867 Guest
    Here is a website put together from some of Ritchie's classmates from Pacoima Jr High. It does not focus on Ritchie but it does detail the accident that happened there that is shown in Ritchie's dreams in the movie and may have had an affect on him.

Apparently Ritchie was at his Grandfather's funeral the day it happened. Who knows, his Grandfather may have saved his life , buying him a short additional two years that allowed him to make a lasting impression on rock and roll and so many people, me included. From looking at the website it looks like most of the kids injured were 12 and 13. Since Ritchie would have been about 15 at the time I'm assuming he probably wouldn't have been with the kids on the playground in phys ed class at the time of the accident, but who knows.

It is a very iteresting website with a lot of input and accounts from the students that were there and how it affected them.

http://angiejim.homestead.com/PacoimaJHS.html