Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Darwin Awards

Darwin Awards

Call ourselves death hags!? Nearly 2 months and we ain't got a thread on these yet.

Now's the time to make up for our joint inadequacy, and I don't mean arthritis.

Do it yourself landmine.

(27 May 2004, Italy)

When Peraldo found sticks of old dynamite in an abandoned stable on the hill above his vineyard, he decided to bury the problem. Some might think that burying unstable dynamite would be...unwise. But not Peraldo, a 67-year-old retired entrepreneur, who had been an explosives expert in the army. He had also worked as a licensed "fuochino" in charge of explosives at construction sites prior to his retirement. He knew the ways of things that go boom. This dynamite had been sitting around for some time, decaying and sweating highly unstable nitroglycerin. Peraldo carefully placed the high explosives in a hole thirty meters away from the stable, and gently covered them with loose earth. Apparently the mound was a little too high to be aesthetically attractive, so Peraldo began patting it down with his hands...

The massive blast rocked the entire town of Chiavenna. Police rushed to the vineyard to investigate. Peraldo was found torn to shreds, but miraculously, still alive and able to explain what had happened before he died from internal injuries.

PvN73 Guest

Caddy Shack to the extreme

(10 January 2007, East Germany) A 63-year-old man's extraordinary effort to eradicate a mole from his property resulted in a probable victory for the mole. The man had pounded several metal rods into the ground and connected them to a high-voltage power line, with the intent of rendering the subterranean realm uninhabitable.

Incidentally, the maneuver electrified the very ground he stood upon. He was found dead at his holiday property on the Baltic Sea. Police had to trip the main circuit breaker before venturing onto the property. The precise date of the sexagenarian's demise could not be ascertained, but the electricity bill may provide a clue.

Harry in Connecticut Guest
    I'm glad that idiot set that dynamite off before some poor horse stepped on it.

Jato car was the best! Will find the link later.
    Last edited by neilmpenny; 12-02-2007 at 09:23 PM.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

There you go:

http://darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1995-04.html

"Those doodads on airplanes like wings and tail assemblies are not only for style, but to keep the aircraft level". hahahahaha
    Last edited by neilmpenny; 12-02-2007 at 09:26 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PlumCrazyPurple Guest

And the Darwin Award goes to...

cherryghost Guest
    People will use guns for any reason???

That is tragic.

I practically feel guilty pointing out that here in the South; everyone knows that if you need to drill a hole trhough the roof; you don't use a .22; you use a .45.

In matters of construction; a .22 is only good for drilling holes through sheet rock.

RaRaRamona Guest
    What an idiot.

SEL2323 Guest

Darwin Awards

If all of this has been posted elsewhere....forgive me

26 July 1991) Patrick lived to rue the day he planned a record-breaking 20-mile hike across the Badwater Salt Flats, the hottest place on earth. He completed 19.5 miles of his hike before collapsing on the scorching ground, never to rise again. Found with his body were a video camera and an empty three-quart water pouch.

The China Lake Rescue team located Patrick's parched body on his forty-first birthday, nearly two weeks after he set out on his desert hike. He was found only a half mile from his red Toyota truck, where gallons of fresh water waited on the seat. Patrick, a healthy 165-pound outdoorsman, had been dehydrated to 90 pounds by the blistering heat. What brought Patrick to such a sad state of desiccation?
    Badwater routinely attracts extremists enticed by the lure of running a 150-mile course from Badwater to Mount Whitney, from the lowest point in North America to the highest point in the contiguous United States. Occasional brave souls attempt the one-way hike across Badwater to meet waiting friends and refill their water bottles. Only Patrick, our Darwin Award candidate, tried to make the trek alone with only three quarts of water.
    According to District Ranger Mark Maciha, Badwater is consistently five to ten degrees hotter than nearby Furnace Creek, which registered a high of 134 degrees Fahrenheit in 1913. The summer sunshine heats the ground to almost 200 degrees, and the parched air approaches zero percent humidity. No rational explanation can be found for why this lifelong fitness fanatic failed to take sufficient water with him on his hike into this harsh climate. An estimated twelve quarts of water would have been required to survive the exertion of plodding through muddy salt.
    Murder was ruled out by the autopsy, and suicide seems unlikely, as it was his third attempt to complete the trek. The most compelling theory is that he wanted to set the record for being the first man to make an unassisted round-trip hike across Badwater. A friend confides that he purposely kept rangers ignorant of his intentions because he knew they would watch over him.
    And extra water is just so heavy!
    Before his doomed hike, he boasted to several friends that he had calculated the exact amount of water he would need, and to save weight, he would take not a single drop more. In a lamentable miscalculation he carried only three quarts of water, which were simply insufficient to see him through to the other side.
    Dr. Milton Jones theorized after the autopsy that Patrick may have sat down to rest with his truck within sight, but had lost so much body fluid that his heart was unable to pump the unnaturally viscous blood to his brain. He lapsed into unconsciousness and died.
    Patrick was a healthy outdoorsman with an extensive knowledge of the desert. His father recalled, "He spent money on only two things: electronic equipment and going to the desert." The video camera found by his body chronicles the first half of Patrick's hike before the batteries died. It ended with his haunting observation, "The only problem is that we have to hike back... This is the real world. One false move, and you're dead."

SEL2323 Guest
    (31 August 1995, Egypt) Six people drowned Monday while trying to rescue a chicken that had fallen into a well in southern Egypt. An 18 year old farmer was the first to descend into the 60-foot well. He drowned, apparently after an undercurrent in the water pulled him down, police said his sister and two brothers, none of whom could swim well, went in one by one to help him, but also drowned. Two elderly farmers then came to help. But they apparently were pulled by the same undercurrent. The bodies of the six were later pulled out of the well in the village of Nazlat Imara, 240 miles south of Cairo. The chicken was also pulled out. It survived.

(March 1995, Michigan) James Burns, 34, of Alamo, Michigan, was killed in March as he was trying to repair what police described as a "farm-type truck." Burns got a friend to drive the truck on a highway while Burns hung underneath so that he could ascertain the source of a troubling noise. Burns' clothes caught on something, however, and the other man found Burns "wrapped in the drive shaft."

(23 August 1997, Holland) A group of employees were happy to escape work and be bussed around on a day tour by their company. It was a sunny day, and some of the more boisterous employees enjoyed sticking their heads out a rooftop window. I can picture them like puppies enjoying the wind in their ears.
    The driver of the speeding bus told them several times to pay attention to the road and stop their foolishness.

And then it happened. Two men had their heads out of the window, singing as the wind blew across their faces, when the bus entered a viaduct. The cracking of bone was heard throughout the bus. Their heads did not come off cleanly, as you might expect, but the men fell dead into the bus with cracked heads and broken necks.
    The chauffeur, asked whether safety regulations were properly observed, replied, "I always lock the damn thing when kids are in the bus, because kids just don't listen. But for God's sake, these were adults.''
    Last edited by SEL2323; 08-07-2008 at 10:32 AM. Reason: adding to post

SEL2323 Guest
    (4 July, 1998, Texas) If you fly over Houston, you will see the sky blue rectangles of countless backyard swimming pools. A Houston man joined the club, and purchased his own above ground pool on June 21, 1998. He selected the location, and the pool was installed by an independent contractor a few days later. He rated all aspects of the installation as "excellent."

A few weeks later, the pool owner was swimming with his friends and enjoying an alcoholic Fourth of July haze in the humid Houston heat. In an unprecedented show of bravado, the man decided to climb onto his patio roof and dive into his pool.
    The man was six feet tall. His pool, typical for an above ground pool, was four feet deep. So when his head hit the bottom, his legs were still sticking two feet out of the water. The dive broke his neck.
    He and his family sued on the grounds of faulty installation and inappropriate location. The same installation the man had rated as "excellent" in the location he himself had selected. The lawsuit was changed to a wrongful death claim when the pool owner passed away in December. Next time you fly over Houston and see those miles of swimming pools, remember the story of this man's last miscalculated dive.

(3 December 1999, Denmark) A powerful winter storm plowed through Europe. Hurricane-force winds gusted to 110 mph, and massive waves pounded the seashore. One woman was anxiously watching news of "the worst storm in Denmark this century" when the TV picture suddenly became too grainy to see what was happening. The antenna on the roof had come loose and started banging around.
    Determined not to miss any information, and despite the howling winds, she decided to climb up on the roof to fix the antenna. She was blown off the roof by the hurricane winds and killed. As a consolation prize, she became a major part of the news over the next few days.

smooches27 Guest
    I know I shouldn't laugh but these are hilarious.... I'm going to hell.....

lab_rat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SEL2323 View Post
    (31 August 1995, Egypt) Six people drowned Monday while trying to rescue a chicken that had fallen into a well in southern Egypt. An 18 year old farmer was the first to descend into the 60-foot well. He drowned, apparently after an undercurrent in the water pulled him down, police said his sister and two brothers, none of whom could swim well, went in one by one to help him, but also drowned. Two elderly farmers then came to help. But they apparently were pulled by the same undercurrent. The bodies of the six were later pulled out of the well in the village of Nazlat Imara, 240 miles south of Cairo. The chicken was also pulled out. It survived.

(March 1995, Michigan) James Burns, 34, of Alamo, Michigan, was killed in March as he was trying to repair what police described as a "farm-type truck." Burns got a friend to drive the truck on a highway while Burns hung underneath so that he could ascertain the source of a troubling noise. Burns' clothes caught on something, however, and the other man found Burns "wrapped in the drive shaft."

(23 August 1997, Holland) A group of employees were happy to escape work and be bussed around on a day tour by their company. It was a sunny day, and some of the more boisterous employees enjoyed sticking their heads out a rooftop window. I can picture them like puppies enjoying the wind in their ears.
    The driver of the speeding bus told them several times to pay attention to the road and stop their foolishness.

And then it happened. Two men had their heads out of the window, singing as the wind blew across their faces, when the bus entered a viaduct. The cracking of bone was heard throughout the bus. Their heads did not come off cleanly, as you might expect, but the men fell dead into the bus with cracked heads and broken necks.
    The chauffeur, asked whether safety regulations were properly observed, replied, "I always lock the damn thing when kids are in the bus, because kids just don't listen. But for God's sake, these were adults.''

What a fucking idiot.

(January 2008, Pennsylvania) A 23-year-old man with various body piercings wondered what it would feel like to connect his workplace test equipment to his chest piercings. Several co-workers tried to convince him that it was a bad idea to wire himself up to the electronic control tester, but he ignored their pleas. He proceeded to connect two alligator clips to his piercings and hit the test button...
    When the police and rescue personnel arrived, his co-workers were stiill trying to revive him with CPR and rescue breathing. They were not successful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

An enterprising lumberman had felled a large tree, and needed to haul it up a steep embankment. So he jacked up the rear end of his pickup and swapped one of the rear tires for a bare rim. He attached one end of a rope to the rim, and the other end of the rope to the felled tree. He put the pickup into gear, expecting the rim to act as a makeshift rope crank that would pull the tree up the embankment, saving him lots of sweat. A great idea? Not if you're reading it here! You see, the tree vastly outweighed the truck. The man was standing with one foot on the ground and the other foot on the accelerator. When he gunned the engine, the tree acted like an anchor, and the truck yanked itself backwards. The open door rammed into him, and he was swept over the embankment along with the pickup.
    When the dust settled, our lumberman had entered the great beyond. But his escapade served as a warning to others. The next lumberman cut up the tree where it lay, and carried it off.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

(18 December 2005, South Africa) Two muggers were working a crowd. The had just taken a cellphone and purse from a couple at knifepoint, when the woman screamed. The muggers sprinted away. But working a crowd and working out are entirely different things, and one of the muggers was out of shape. As he watched his compatriot recede into the distance, he felt the stitch in his side, and knew he could run no farther. Perhaps he was thinking he should have spent some of his ill-gotten gains on a trip to the gym. But then he spotted a high fence, and that, at least, he could manage.
    He put on a burst of speed, and leapt the fence. Sure enough, no one followed. Escape! But he had failed to take into consideration a very
    [SIZE=-1]"I don't have to outrun that bear, I just have to outrun you."[/SIZE]
    important fact. He was at the Bloemfontein Zoo. Just as he was congratulating himself on his foolproof escape, he realized that the other side of the fence was a 10 meter drop into a cage of bored Bengal tigers!
    Speaking of foolproof, the tigers wasted no time in treating the nearest fool as their own little kitty toy. The mauled body of the mugger was not noticed until noon. A zoo spokesperson said that the tigers had been fed the previous afternoon, else they would have left no evidence behind.
    Police said a post mortem would be carried out to determine the exact cause of his death--as if that wasn't obvious.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

pvezz Guest

Kugmu Guest

YAY Darwin awards time, better than the oscars! No back to back award winners I notice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    yay darwin awards time, better than the oscars! No back to back award winners i notice. :d:d:d
    \

*lmao*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ridgecrest, CA-Middle of the Mojave Desert
    Quote Originally Posted by SEL2323 View Post
    If all of this has been posted elsewhere....forgive me

26 July 1991) Patrick lived to rue the day he planned a record-breaking 20-mile hike across the Badwater Salt Flats, the hottest place on earth. He completed 19.5 miles of his hike before collapsing on the scorching ground, never to rise again. Found with his body were a video camera and an empty three-quart water pouch.

The China Lake Rescue team located Patrick's parched body on his forty-first birthday, nearly two weeks after he set out on his desert hike. He was found only a half mile from his red Toyota truck, where gallons of fresh water waited on the seat. Patrick, a healthy 165-pound outdoorsman, had been dehydrated to 90 pounds by the blistering heat. What brought Patrick to such a sad state of desiccation?
    Badwater routinely attracts extremists enticed by the lure of running a 150-mile course from Badwater to Mount Whitney, from the lowest point in North America to the highest point in the contiguous United States. Occasional brave souls attempt the one-way hike across Badwater to meet waiting friends and refill their water bottles. Only Patrick, our Darwin Award candidate, tried to make the trek alone with only three quarts of water.
    According to District Ranger Mark Maciha, Badwater is consistently five to ten degrees hotter than nearby Furnace Creek, which registered a high of 134 degrees Fahrenheit in 1913. The summer sunshine heats the ground to almost 200 degrees, and the parched air approaches zero percent humidity. No rational explanation can be found for why this lifelong fitness fanatic failed to take sufficient water with him on his hike into this harsh climate. An estimated twelve quarts of water would have been required to survive the exertion of plodding through muddy salt.
    Murder was ruled out by the autopsy, and suicide seems unlikely, as it was his third attempt to complete the trek. The most compelling theory is that he wanted to set the record for being the first man to make an unassisted round-trip hike across Badwater. A friend confides that he purposely kept rangers ignorant of his intentions because he knew they would watch over him.
    And extra water is just so heavy!
    Before his doomed hike, he boasted to several friends that he had calculated the exact amount of water he would need, and to save weight, he would take not a single drop more. In a lamentable miscalculation he carried only three quarts of water, which were simply insufficient to see him through to the other side.
    Dr. Milton Jones theorized after the autopsy that Patrick may have sat down to rest with his truck within sight, but had lost so much body fluid that his heart was unable to pump the unnaturally viscous blood to his brain. He lapsed into unconsciousness and died.
    Patrick was a healthy outdoorsman with an extensive knowledge of the desert. His father recalled, "He spent money on only two things: electronic equipment and going to the desert." The video camera found by his body chronicles the first half of Patrick's hike before the batteries died. It ended with his haunting observation, "The only problem is that we have to hike back... This is the real world. One false move, and you're dead."
    I Just moved here..And I won't venture outside to go to the freaking mailbox, let alone hike Badwater...that's crazy . I told my husband that I find it unreal that people come from all over the world to camp there! Hellz no!

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    With the Darwin awards...Everyone is a winner...Specially folks like us that need a good laugh...

Seagorath Guest
    Those people that canoed their way to death in Slovenia still get my 2008 vote...2nd Place goes to the Six Flags Decapitation kid...

onekindsistah Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SEL2323;365667[COLOR=magenta
    ](31 August 1995, Egypt) Six people drowned Monday while trying to rescue a chicken that had fallen into a well in southern Egypt. An 18 year old farmer was the first to descend into the 60-foot well. He drowned, apparently after an undercurrent in the water pulled him down, police said his sister and two brothers, none of whom could swim well, went in one by one to help him, but also drowned. Two elderly farmers then came to help. But they apparently were pulled by the same undercurrent. The bodies of the six were later pulled out of the well in the village of Nazlat Imara, 240 miles south of Cairo. The chicken was also pulled out. It survived.[/COLOR]

The chicken survived, that's HILARIOUS!!!!

The guy that attached the JATO engine to his car gets my vote
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

aahhhh.. i love the darwin awards.

there is nothing like the thinning of the herd....
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

bbr_fan Guest
    Darwin Awards = lmfao

(i'm sooooo going to hell!)

Armcast Guest

Man decides to surf on motor home, with predictable results

Man Dead in Motor Home Surfing Accident

Story Created: Aug 29, 2008
    Story Updated: Aug 29, 2008

SUPERIOR, Wis. (AP) -- A man has died from injuries he suffered after falling from the roof of a moving motor home in Superior.

Police say two men were riding on top of the motor home and four people were inside early Friday. One man fell from the roof, over the hood and was run over by the vehicle.

He was taken to St. Mary's Hospital in Superior where he died of his injuries.

Police say the man who died is apparently not from the area.

Here's one for the idiot of the month award

Who puts a freaking barbecue in their basement?!!!

NJ Basement Barbecue sickens 16

Authorities in Hackensack say 16 people, including seven children, had to go to area hospitals after a basement barbecue filled a duplex with smoke and carbon monoxide.

Firefighters arriving at the residence shortly after 8:30 p.m. Monday found a 55-gallon drum in the basement that was filled with smoldering charcoal briquettes.
    Hackensack Deputy Fire Chief Matt Wagner said the building's residents were treated outside before being taken to local hospitals.
    Wagner said the carbon monoxide exposure wasn't believed to be life-threatening.
    The building did not have working carbon monoxide detectors.
    Wagner said a barbecue pit needs proper ventilation, and is best left outside.
    Last edited by el gato malo; 09-09-2008 at 09:37 AM.
    And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
    Shall be lifted--nevermore!

Fail.

You gotta die to qualify for a Darwin.

Nice try though
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fail.

You gotta die to qualify for a Darwin.

Nice try though
    if they had died, she would have put it in the 'other deaths' section.
    fail.

barbeque in the basement indeed seems like a silly thing to do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ken Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by el gato malo View Post
    Who puts a freaking barbecue in their basement?!!!

NJ Basement Barbecue sickens 16

Authorities in Hackensack say 16 people, including seven children, had to go to area hospitals after a basement barbecue filled a duplex with smoke and carbon monoxide.

Firefighters arriving at the residence shortly after 8:30 p.m. Monday found a 55-gallon drum in the basement that was filled with smoldering charcoal briquettes.
    Hackensack Deputy Fire Chief Matt Wagner said the building's residents were treated outside before being taken to local hospitals.
    Wagner said the carbon monoxide exposure wasn't believed to be life-threatening.
    The building did not have working carbon monoxide detectors.
    Wagner said a barbecue pit needs proper ventilation, and is best left outside.
    WTF kinda idiots...they will make the list soon; oh yes they will!!

Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    if they had died, she would have put it in the 'other deaths' section.
    fail.

barbeque in the basement indeed seems like a silly thing to do.
    Don't fuck with me banana or you will join the pineapple rings on the bbq.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oops. Did not know it had to be a fatality to qualify, but given that there were children there as well, it's frightening to realize that some of them actually reproduced. I changed the title of the post.
    And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
    Shall be lifted--nevermore!

Oops. Did not know it had to be a fatality to qualify, but given that there were children there as well, it's frightening to realize that some of them actually reproduced.
    Its cool. Hopefully a few new Darwin award candidates will be trotted out. All good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Every coupla years, we have at least one moron who dies from indoor barbecuing. Here's what happens: People come here from third world countries, rent a one-bedroom apartment, and then move in, along with their 47 brothers, sisters, inlaws, cousins and friends...They are of course amazed at the amenities here, since in their village, one cooks dinner over an open fire. Now, that's a problem here because most units in highrise apartment buildings do not come equipped with an open fire pit. They're also amazed by the cold weather here during the winter. The obvious solution? Get a $7 barbecue and a bag of Kingsford! Set 'er up in the middle of the living room floor, and presto! Two problems solved, all at once, right? Fail...

A little research before immigrating would be helpful....

Here in Singapore we get construction labourers from all over. Back in the villages in Thailand it is the done thing to get a length of bamboo, fill it half way with rice, top up with water, seal the ends and toss near the fire. The radiant heat cooks the rice.

On construction sites here there is a lack of bamboo so they substitute with PVC pipe. Doing this over the course of a couple of years has resulted in deaths.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Armcast Guest
    Oops. Did not know it had to be a fatality to qualify, but given that there were children there as well, it's frightening to realize that some of them actually reproduced. I changed the title of the post.
    Don't worry 'bout it...something tells me that this guy might try something like this again...hopefully without the spectators/unwilling victims around

Curl_up_N_dye Guest
    Duster, I was gonna say the same thing!

LOL ... this story reminds me of the movie 'Best in Show' where the Hotel Manager is talking about some rock band who roasted a goat in the hotel room over an open spit ....

rickenbacker Guest
    Good grief. I can't believe anyone would think that was a good idea!

That's how Brad Delp of Boston committed suicide, you know...

Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacker View Post

How? Eating rice out of a PVC pipe or barbecuing dinner in the living room?

rickenbacker Guest
    Charcoal BBQs in the bathroom, I believe. Carbon Monoxide. What a way to go...

Charcoal BBQs in the bathroom, I believe. Carbon Monoxide. What a way to go...
    Gotta hand it to him though - that is creative...

I didn't know that. Now I have an urge for some ribs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sphr798 Guest
    If you've ever been to Hackensack, you wouldn't be questioning this.

Don't fuck with me banana or you will join the pineapple rings on the bbq.
    oooooooooohh! l'm shakin' in my peel, penny!
    haaaaaa

Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    ....A little research before immigrating would be helpful....
    yeah, that. and someone telling them "fuck off we're full."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

silverwaif77 Guest
    A few years ago we had a clown car's worth of people (yes from some third world country) renting the house across the street from us, one day they had a barbeque going in their garage. Which is kinda weird since they had a backyard and it is California. This BBQ was going full blast about 2 feet from a car. I was torn between calling the fire department, and getting a lawn chair and some popcorn. In the end, I called the fire department.

Quote Originally Posted by silverwaif77 View Post
    I was torn between calling the fire department, and getting a lawn chair and some popcorn.
    Haha!