Thread: The Facts Of Life

Hoagie78 Guest

The Facts Of Life

I have been watching the reruns lately after not seeing the show in years. They are currently in season 2. A few episodes that stick out in my mind are:

The one where Tootie goes balistic on Mrs. Garrett about wanting to go to a Jermaine Jackson concert. She's screaming and crying while Mrs G. has her in a head lock. Jermaine Jackson still popular in 1982 ??? come on!!!

The one where Blair falls in love with the delivery guy who is mentally challenged. She thinks because he is good looking she can help him improve and tutors him art. There's a scene where she ragging at him to paint better and he freaks out, knocks over the painting and runs home crying. Mrs. Garrett screeches BLAIRRRRRRRRRRR HEEEEEEEEEE"S RETARDEEEEEEEEEEED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A photographer comes to Eastland looking for the face of the 80's. Blair assumes it will be her and is shocked when he picks Tootie. Turns out he wants her do provocative photos. He runs around in leather pants while taking photos.

The first episode from 1979. Blair accuses Cindy of being strange (aka....lesbian) and tells her she better know what she means by always hugging and touching the other girls.

BigBootyJudy Guest
    Isnt it funny how far things have come and how damn politically correct everything has gotten? I watch old reruns or old movies and you just have to laugh about the things that would so not be accepted today.

Hoagie78 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBootyJudy View Post
    Isnt it funny how far things have come and how damn politically correct everything has gotten? I watch old reruns or old movies and you just have to laugh about the things that would so not be accepted today.
    I agree. The reason I brought up the episode about Blair and the delivery boy is that people on youtube were complaining about the word "retarded". Back then it was the term used. Today, people will try to get all politically correct about old shows. It was 30 years ago.....get over it.

Most people who make issues about such things weren't even around then.

Bbeelzebub Guest
    I love, love, love the episode where Blair and Jo experiment with Cousin Geri and Beverly Ann walks in on them and joins in!

Oh? It wasn't. I must be imagining a different show.

slingshot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bbeelzebub View Post
    I love, love, love the episode where Blair and Jo experiment with Cousin Geri and Beverly Ann walks in on them and joins in!

LMAO, sorry darlin ---- that was on Big Gay Sketch Show!

mstee2u1972 Guest
    The one where Tootie goes balistic on Mrs. Garrett about wanting to go to a Jermaine Jackson concert. She's screaming and crying while Mrs G. has her in a head lock. Jermaine Jackson still popular in 1982 ??? come on!!!

LOL! Yep Jermaine Jackson was popular in 1982. He had a couple of hit songs "Let's Get Serious" and "Let Me Tickle Your Fancy" are two I can name instantly. My friends and I used to watch him perform on Solid Gold and Soul Train back in the day without the other Jackson brothers. Jermaine had a decent voice and solo career back then. He was trying to go semi-solo when he was in the J5. He remade a song called "Daddy's Home" that I liked.

Hoagie78 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mstee2u1972 View Post

LOL! Yep Jermaine Jackson was popular in 1982. He had a couple of hit songs "Let's Get Serious" and "Let Me Tickle Your Fancy" are two I can name instantly. My friends and I used to watch him perform on Solid Gold and Soul Train back in the day without the other Jackson brothers. Jermaine had a decent voice and solo career back then. He was trying to go semi-solo when he was in the J5. He remade a song called "Daddy's Home" that I liked.
    I remember "Let's Get Serious" , but wasn't that around 1979/1980 when that was big ? In 1982 Janet was trying to get her singing career going with that first album of hers. She did one of the songs on Diffrent Strokes and made appearances on Solid Gold and Bandstand.

Bbeelzebub Guest
    Does anybody remember the episode where Tootie sculpts the bust of Lionel Richie and sends it to him, but his security people think it's a bomb and soak it with water???

Poor Dorothy "Tootie" Ramsey, it was all down hill for her after that. I think that is what made her get fat.

Hoagie78 Guest
    Does anybody remember the episode where Tootie sculpts the bust of Lionel Richie and sends it to him, but his security people think it's a bomb and soak it with water???

Poor Dorothy "Tootie" Ramsey, it was all down hill for her after that. I think that is what made her get fat.
    It was a bust of Jermaine Jackson and Yes, his security goons soak it in water because they think it's a bomb. The way the thing looked it could of been either one.....LOL

The comment about Tootie reminds of when Joan Rivers referred to the show as " The Fats Of Life" after all the girls put on weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoagie78 View Post
    It was a bust of Jermaine Jackson and Yes, his security goons soak it in water because they think it's a bomb. The way the thing looked it could of been either one.....LOL

The comment about Tootie reminds of when Joan Rivers referred to the show as " The Fats Of Life" after all the girls put on weight.
    I was so confused by this episode when it aired. MJ was so popular and Jermaine only had "Serious". My first thoughts were Tootie might be a bit daft for likng JJ (only cuz she was so damn convincing in her freak out scene with Misses Garrison oops Garrett) then it dawned on me that maybe JJ gave permission cuz MJ didnt. Thus began my questioning of reality as presented by the boob tube. If I cant believe Tooties network telepresented then what does that mean about the validity of Korean Airline Flights 007 or the Beirut Marine Barracks Bombing to my young tv addicted mind? The answer to this question was delayed for years by the sudden ability to ejaculate semen during masturbation soon after the airing of this episode.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Bbeelzebub Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoagie78 View Post

Perhaps my eight year old memories are all blurred together. Maybe I'm getting the Lionel video for, "Hello", combined with TFOL.

-----

I really wish Gloria Loring sang more theme songs though. I really wish Alan Thicke wrote more songs. I really wish Gloria, Alan and Robin were a singing trio and wore leiderhosen and performed at festivals. :-(

Perhaps my eight year old memories are all blurred together. Maybe I'm getting the Lionel video for, "Hello", combined with TFOL.

-----

I really wish Gloria Loring sang more theme songs though. I really wish Alan Thicke wrote more songs. I really wish Gloria, Alan and Robin were a singing trio and wore leiderhosen and performed at festivals. :-(
    LMAO at the Hello video. That's what I thought of too. I vaguely remember this episode of TFOL. After reading this thread I am going to have to watch these again, I used to watch it all the time but I've forgotten half the episodes. I remember more of the later episodes with Cloris Leachman and Mackenzie Astin. The one with Blair falling for the retarded delivery boy sounds like GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by mstee2u1972 View Post

My favorite song of his from 1981 was "You Like Me Don't You?". That one got a lot of radio play back in the day.

My all-time fave on the show was Jo and trying to figure out if she was a dyke or not.

Hoagie78 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    My all-time fave on the show was Jo and trying to figure out if she was a dyke or not.
    Jo a Dyke ? Surely not !

Bbeelzebub Guest
    Don't forget the Australian foreign exchange student, Pippa!

I loved the final episodes where Blair buys Eastland and a new group of girls starts Eastland. The most famous being Juliet Lewis.

Hoagie78 Guest
    Don't forget the Australian foreign exchange student, Pippa!

I loved the final episodes where Blair buys Eastland and a new group of girls starts Eastland. The most famous being Juliet Lewis.
    It's been a long time since I saw the final ones with Pippa. I think she showed up around the time Natalie got deflowered by Snake (Robert Romanus aka.....Damone from Fast Times).

The first season of the show was like a whole different series. Blair was a bit of a wild child (smoking, messing around in a van with a jock, cheating on book reports, getting invited to pot parties and wearing daisy dukes). I couldn't stand Molly Ringwald. I still don't see how she made it. I think her acting stank and was not at all attractive. Felice Schacter who played Nancy, the only the other thing I saw her in was in Zapped with Scott Baio & Wille Aames. The chicks who played Sue Ann and Cindy did some Taco Bell commercials and what not before falling off the face of the earth.

I remember this show but not individual episodes. Jo was my favourite cause she was the bad girl, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzyChick View Post
    I remember this show but not individual episodes. Jo was my favourite cause she was the bad girl, lol.
    Same here. I watched repeats but I was really young at the time and I thought I was Jo because she was so cool and I even got my mum to do my hair the same as she had hers for a while.

I watched a Christmas movie from last year, and Lisa Whelchel played the mother .. she looked great !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HeartsOfSpring1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	54660  
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    I watched a Christmas movie from last year, and Lisa Whelchel played the mother .. she looked great !
    I did watch that show. Lisa Whelchel
    Has grown up to be very pretty lady.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

She has. I think she has had a very happy life, and that shows. Proving one does not need fillers, Botox etc. to remain attractive.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

As if by magic, I, too, am imagining this one