Page 1 of 53 1231050 ... LastLast

Thread: Trayvon Martin

mals2004 Guest

Trayvon Martin

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57402215/outrage-over-trayvon-martin-shooting-spreads/

D
    idn't see a thread about this case...please merge if I missed it!

I am still trying to wrap my brain around this...Florida has some serious explaining to do...

MetalHeadBettie Guest
    I'm glad someone posted about his case, I haven't seen a thread for it yet I don't think...I am just disgusted that Zimmerman hasn't been arrested yet. I signed the petition Trayvon's parents started to bring him to justice.

YuukaK Guest
    Hey, some of us Floridians don't get why the bastard isn't being charged either! I think he should be in jail personally. He's a ridiculous excuse for a human. Calling the police 46 times and they respond to every one he made?! I mean COME ON! What kind of threat was the kid with a bag of Skittles and a bottle of tea?! Gah! Stupidity like that person pisses me off....

mals2004 Guest
    http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2012/03/fla-city-manager-to-discuss-trayvon-martin-case/1

T
    he chief is police is "temporarily" stepping down...Interesting

YuukaK I should clarify...the Florida police handling this case have some explaining to do...not all Floridians!

YuukaK Guest
    At the very least the Sanford police need to explain themselves. *sighs*

What a crock! They should arrest Zimmerman, PERIOD.

Djen Guest
    What possible reason could they have NOT to arrest him? I don't understand this...

He killed that teen in cold blood.

I heard one of his 911 calls, I thought he used a racial slur and they bleaped it out, they are saying they cannot make out what word he said.

Self defense my ass!!!
    Last edited by Leasie; 03-22-2012 at 03:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Leasie View Post

I heard one of his 911 calls, I thought he used a racial slur and they bleaped it out, they are saying they cannot make out what word he said.

Self defense my ass!!!
    Yes he did use a racial slur preceded by "effing"

WTF is wrong with people?

slingshot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Djen View Post
    What possible reason could they have NOT to arrest him? I don't understand this...
    Hmmmm, I thought about this too. I watch too much tv, but I wondered if he could be a snitch or something? Like maybe someone was protecting him for some reason.

RaRaRamona Guest
    I can't find any actual info on this, just opinions & irrelevant space filler.

How do we know he wasn't doing anything wrong? He'd just been suspended from school. Why? What did he do?

Was there other crime in the area? Was it a high crime neighborhood?

What time was it? Why was he out so late?

I have loads of questions & can't find a single answer. Just "hate crime" and "grieving mother" and "Al Sharpton." I mean seriously. Come on now.

RaRa on CNN they stated that they had had many break ins the previous week.

PurrPurr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Leasie View Post

Self defense my ass!!!
    Seriously. Last time I checked, Skittles weren't considered lethal weapons (except maybe to one's teeth..lol).

Zimmerman belongs behind bars. That is all.

DonnaMc Guest
    Zimmerman sounds like he's paranoid. The past few years he's called the police 46 times about people outside, some minding their own business.

He sounds like he's intoxicated during the call. Amazing that they didn't give him a sobriety test.

The worst part to me was the way the Cops interviewed witnesses. When the witnesses were saying the boy was yelling for help, the Cops replied "No, you heard Zimmerman yelling for help."

WHO TELLS WITNESSES WHAT THEY HEARD?
    "Death has come to your little town, Sheriff." -Dr. Loomis

YuukaK Guest
    RaRa, from what's been reported down here in Florida, Trayvon went out at the request of his stepbrother (I know he was his brother I just don't know if he's blood, step, or half.) to get him the candy and tea. On the way back he noticed he was being followed and pulled his hoodie up. At the time he was on the phone with his girlfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaMc View Post
    Zimmerman sounds like he's paranoid. The past few years he's called the police 46 times about people outside, some minding their own business.
    He was elected neighborhood crime watch captain...captain of a ship that never quite makes it to shore if ya know what I mean...

Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    I can't find any actual info on this, just opinions & irrelevant space filler.

How do we know he wasn't doing anything wrong? He'd just been suspended from school. Why? What did he do?

Was there other crime in the area? Was it a high crime neighborhood?

What time was it? Why was he out so late?

I have loads of questions & can't find a single answer. Just "hate crime" and "grieving mother" and "Al Sharpton." I mean seriously. Come on now.
    There's a fairly good write up about on Wikipedia (I know, I know). What I gleaned from that article was:

Martin was suspended from school but his parents won't say why. He didn't have a criminal record though and seemed to be a good kid who may have simply done something stupid to get suspended.

There was supposedly some crime in that area: break-ins, a shooting. Things like that.

I don't think Martin was out late. He walked to the store to get some candy during the half-time period during an NBA game. He wasn't armed or anything of that nature and he wasn't "out of place" as he was visiting his dad's g/f's house at the time.

Personally, I think this situation was racially motivated to some degree. Like I said, I don't know every detail about the case, but why was Zimmerman carrying a gun if he just worked as a part of a neighborhood watch group? He called the cops when he spotted Martin and the dispatcher told him not to do anything and wait for police. If he was properly trained, why didn't he just follow the dispatcher's advise? I can understand being concerned about seeing someone suspicious in your neighborhood, but Zimmerman wasn't trained to apprehend suspects and shouldn't have been trying to take matters into his own hands. It sounds to me like Zimmerman is/was a wanna-be cop and went way too far.
    Last edited by MagneticElectric; 03-22-2012 at 06:27 PM.
    "You live alone, creating your life as you go." - Edie Sedgwick

RaRaRamona Guest
    If I've learned anything from FAD it's to read beyond the headlines. I don't trust a story if I can't find any info. Y'all know what i mean? This guy Zimmerman MAY be a loose cannon but all i can find is a bunch of accusations of racism stemming from this one incident. I don't know what to believe.

I absolutely agree. We've got some widespread panic going on, yet I can't find or hear the other side of this. When you've got what was it, 850,000 folks protesting, it would be nice to know the whole story, not just their views.

They also reported that Zimmerman's back was wet and his nose was bleeding when they got there. But they aren't reporting that much and they're not reporting much about the suspension.

Also, anything Al Sharpton is involved with makes me think twice about what he's spewing. Because he is the most racist, ignorant so-called leader alive in this country in my opinion. And that's pretty ignorant, considering. I still remember him and the Tawana Brawley thing -- an innocent man killed himself over that rot. I wouldn't want him on my side if I were these parents, he's not credible at all, he's ridiculous.

I'm sorry a child is dead, I have a 15-year-old son and I know I'd be completely gone if this happened. But you know that P.D. is under as much pressure as there gets, and they're gonna work hard to follow the law on this one. Florida's laws make a self-dense shooting harder to disprove than others, and I think they're going to try to do this right.

I wasn't out there that night and I can't hear through a bleep on a phone call, so I have no idea what happened. But this lynch mob mentality is scary as shit. I don't see what the people are asking for, it often takes several days to make a definitive arrest, you don't bring them in with the body, damn. I say give them time to sort it out. And you know, after seeing that hoodie march or whatever last night, I'd step down too. I'd absolutely hate to be in that position, especially if the law was on Zimmerman's side. Be terrifying.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul! (Invictus)
    (And Timothy McVeigh's last words...)

Quote Originally Posted by TaupinJohn View Post
    I absolutely agree. We've got some widespread panic going on, yet I can't find or hear the other side of this. When you've got what was it, 850,000 folks protesting, it would be nice to know the whole story, not just their views.

They also reported that Zimmerman's back was wet and his nose was bleeding when they got there. But they aren't reporting that much and they're not reporting much about the suspension.

Also, anything Al Sharpton is involved with makes me think twice about what he's spewing. Because he is the most racist, ignorant so-called leader alive in this country in my opinion. And that's pretty ignorant, considering. I still remember him and the Tawana Brawley thing -- an innocent man killed himself over that rot. I wouldn't want him on my side if I were these parents, he's not credible at all, he's ridiculous.

I'm sorry a child is dead, I have a 15-year-old son and I know I'd be completely gone if this happened. But you know that P.D. is under as much pressure as there gets, and they're gonna work hard to follow the law on this one. Florida's laws make a self-dense shooting harder to disprove than others, and I think they're going to try to do this right.

I wasn't out there that night and I can't hear through a bleep on a phone call, so I have no idea what happened. But this lynch mob mentality is scary as shit. I don't see what the people are asking for, it often takes several days to make a definitive arrest, you don't bring them in with the body, damn. I say give them time to sort it out. And you know, after seeing that hoodie march or whatever last night, I'd step down too. I'd absolutely hate to be in that position, especially if the law was on Zimmerman's side. Be terrifying.
    I agree on the Al Sharpton point. If Sharpton, Jesse Jackson or that ridiculous Quannel X (who is high profile here in the Houston area) are involved in some cause or bitching about some injustice, it makes me just retch. None of those fools care about anything except lining their pockets.

However, I understand why some people are outraged. I've been treated like shit by cops (and rent-a-cops) before just because of the color of my skin and I wasn't doing jack. Unfortunately, that is reality to some of us and I think that point DOES need to be addressed and fixed. However, I also understand that doing a job like law enforcement or security is a thankless and dangerous job. Like it or not, you do start having preconceived notions about people based on the way they look that can affect the way you approach/deal with them. If you let your guard down, it can be a fatal mistake.

I think Zimmerman likely did something stupid - and fatal to a young kid - that was perhaps motivated by his distrust of people of color. Couple that with some yahoo giving Zimmerman a wee bit of power and you have a disastrous outcome.

I doubt we'll ever know the real story though because everything has become muddied by the race issue.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Zimmerman was told by dispatch NOT to keep following this kid. He did it anyway.

Also, neighborhood watch members aren't supposed to be carrying weapons.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/03/22...n-martin-case/

It's early, but this appears to have gone way beyond the stand your ground law.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/...und-it/254815/
    Last edited by endsleigh03; 03-22-2012 at 07:51 PM.

lisalouver Guest
    Where (on his body) was he shot?

YuukaK Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    Zimmerman was told by dispatch NOT to keep following this kid. He did it anyway.

Also, neighborhood watch members aren't supposed to be carrying weapons.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/03/22...n-martin-case/

It's early, but this appears to have gone way beyond the stand your ground law.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/...und-it/254815/
    See, that is what I have the problem with. Whether the young man was out late or not, the neighborhood watch captain was told to BACK OFF by the authorities. Did he? No. What happened? He killed a young man with a gun he wasn't even supposed to have. You imagine if all watch captains followed his example? *headshake* I'm not saying Trayvon was an angel, but no one deserves to die because an idiot couldn't follow simple instructions. Screw colors and race, stupidity was what caused this tragedy.
    Last edited by YuukaK; 03-22-2012 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Caught a mistake

lisalouver Guest
    Ugh - I just read where he was shot on ABC news.

He was shot in the back of the head. All he had on him was the pack of Skittles and a bottle of iced tea.

Made me very sad to just read that and see his picture.

As a death investigator, I would need more information, but from my working point of view, someone you were trying to defend yourself against should not be shot in the back of the head.

RaRaRamona Guest

I agree with you so much. When one of those guys get involved I immediately distrust whatever I'm hearing. Add to that all the protesting & I step back even more. And sprinkle in a bunch of non information & I'm turning the corner to the other side.

Just because Zimmerman was told not to pursue doesn't mean he is completely guilty. I wish I had some kind of idea what went on. But the only things anyone wants to know or talk about is that he was a young kid & Zimmerman is a racist. End of tale. But that's not enough for me. I know PLENTY of racists who would never kill anyone. They're not murderers, just complete idiots.

But you know that P.D. is under as much pressure as there gets, and they're gonna work hard to follow the law on this one.
    Does that include telling witnesses what they did and didn't hear? How professional of them.

"I know you think you heard the child cry out for help, but the suspect claims it was he who asking for help so we're going to go with that."

Scandalous.
    Last edited by beep; 03-22-2012 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    I agree with you so much. When one of those guys get involved I immediately distrust whatever I'm hearing. Add to that all the protesting & I step back even more. And sprinkle in a bunch of non information & I'm turning the corner to the other side.

Just because Zimmerman was told not to pursue doesn't mean he is completely guilty. I wish I had some kind of idea what went on. But the only things anyone wants to know or talk about is that he was a young kid & Zimmerman is a racist. End of tale. But that's not enough for me. I know PLENTY of racists who would never kill anyone. They're not murderers, just complete idiots.
    I don't think anyone here is saying Zimmerman is guilty because he continued to pursue after he was advised not to, but hell, that says a lot. If you're just some dude on the neighborhood watch who is truly interested in keeping the 'hood safe, why would go against what someone of authority would tell you? Even real cops wait for back up and don't go rolling up on people they think might be armed and dangerous. IMO, it just sounds like this dude was trying to be vigilante man.

If you want the facts about the story, ABC News, NBC, places like that are fairly unbiased. It's unlikely you're going to get the whole story because Zimmerman ain't talking much.

Here is the logs of the 46 calls Zimmerman made to 911. It seems he calls every time he sees a black person nearby. This guy should not own a gun. Calling 911 to report litter and pot holes in the road. He aint playin with a full deck.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...plete-log.html
    Last edited by JefeStone; 03-23-2012 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    Here is the logs of the 46 calls Zimmerman made to 911. It seems he calls every time he sees a black person nearby. This guy should not own a gun. Calling 911 to report litter and pot holes in the road. He aint playin with a full deck.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...plete-log.html
    That was....interesting. I found it weird that he called 911 to report that someone who lived in the neighborhood were "are always outside w/the garage open". Like that's a crime? Another weird one was the report that a 7-9 year old black child in the neighborhood. Maybe the kid lived there or was visiting a friend who lived in the community?

Sheesh...I think he was just a little on the paranoid side AND lacked common sense.

4. Oct. 20, 2004 – 9:13 p.m.
    Type: 911
    Subject: Disturbance
    Report: Drunk pedestrian walking in the road

I'm glad he's not my neighbor.

I couldn't agree more. I have heard NOTHING from the Zimmerman side of the argument. Also, the media has turned this into a shit-storm, because they're portraying this as a white-on-black crime. Not to grasp at straws, but I read that Zimmerman is actually Hispanic, so that fact, for one, is obviously untrue. Some people are too quick to jump on the bandwagon and go with the masses, while I'd like to know BOTH SIDES of the argument before I make my judgements. I feel sorry for the family of the young man, but I also feel sorry for Zimmerman's family, because they're having to deal with the whole backlash from an uninformed mob.

In the mugshot he does look white. Also, the police report said he was white... Just like they said he never had any prior offenses... Error after error by the boys in blue. They sure as working hard.
    Last edited by beep; 03-23-2012 at 01:01 AM.

Our media is full of this and the World Service has picked it up as well. I think a lot of pressure is on the authorities at the moment. Even 'Big Al' has chipped in.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Starstruck Guest
    He was shot in the back of the head. All he had on him was the pack of Skittles and a bottle of iced tea.

mmm shot in the back of the head, how exactly was he threatening if he obviously had his back to the guy with the gun and was carrying a drink and some lollies?

endsleigh03 Guest
    Never mind the racism here for a minute.....

Everybody keeps saying they haven't heard Zimmermans side of the story.....

Zimmerman is hiding out. If he had any desire to tell his side of the story he could safely do that with just one reputable news service, but he isn't doing it.

endsleigh03 Guest
    You know it has to be assault with a deadly Skittle.

mals2004 Guest
    If nothing else, I hope the Stand Your Ground Law gets a second look...clearly there needs to be some adjustments or clarifications to this law if they want to keep it.

I would also like to know about Zimmerman's nose bleeding...sounds to me like Trayvon may have been acting in self defense if he was truly being followed. Unfortunately for him, he didn't have a weapon like Zimmerman did.

I'm a little surprised that Zimmerman himself hasn't released some type of statement giving more details...simply saying it was self-defense obviously isn't going to cut it.

The whole thing is just senseless.
    Last edited by mals2004; 03-23-2012 at 08:35 AM.

MetalHeadBettie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Starstruck View Post

mmm shot in the back of the head, how exactly was he threatening if he obviously had his back to the guy with the gun and was carrying a drink and some lollies?
    EXACTLY. Zimmerman is guilty as sin. He has a history of being excessively paranoid, proved by those 46 frigging 911 calls! WTF? Who is suspicious of a small black child playing? What sane person calls to report someone has their garage open a lot? Trayvon was shot in the back of the head, he was obviously not attacking or even facing Zimmerman, and I believe several witnesses saw the child's hands were full with candy and tea! This is a miscarriage of justice.

Where can I get info on where Trayvon was shot. Im hearing conflicting stories. Head or chest?

purplerosse Guest
    hi everyone. This is my first post but ive been reading this forum for years. This story has really been bothering me and i wanted to just give my input on my feelings. First i do believe that race was a factor with what happened. When i listened to the 911 tape where Zimmerman is describing what Trayvon was wearing he said a hoodie with dark pants or sweats and described him as a black male late teens. He didnt say his hoodie was over his head so he saw his face. Its now known that Treyvon was on his cellphone talking to his girlfriend at that time up until 2 to 3 mins before he got shot. His girlfriend said Treyvon told her someone was following him and that he was gonna try to lose them and that he put his hoodie up too. She also said that She heard Trayvon when he asked Zimmerman "why are you following me" and heard Zimmermans response "what are you doing here". SHe also said she heard a scuffle like pushing cus the phone went dead. WIthin 2-3 mins he was shot. That was all around 7:30ish. Phone records prove Trayvon was on the phone with her.
    Zimmerman claims he stopped chasing Trayvon and was heading back to his truck when Trayvon assaulted him. I dont believe thats true. Last night Trayvons father walked the path Trayvon was walking and showed where he was shot and laid dead. He was on a sidewalk inbetween the houses. He WAS on his way home . His father pointed to his home and said he was so close. I believe Zimmerman gave chase and pursued this young man and DIDNOT give up like he said. He was hellbent to catching him. If you listen to the 911 tape he sounds antsy and like hes ready to go. Theres a report that said Zimmerman was bleeding for his nose and back of head. What about Traymon?? Did they check to see what kind of injuries he had beside the shot to his head? Im sure Zimmerman who outwieighted him by 100pds was trying to detain him. And im sure Trayvon was fighting for his life. He didnt know what this grown man was going to do. Who wouldnt fight back when a stranger is trying to grab them. And I hope this doesnt offend anyone but if Trayvon got a few hits on him then good for him. He was the one the was defending himself. Not a man with a gun against a teenager with a cellphone, drink and candy. Also I am so dissappointed that the police didnt make him give a formal statement of what happened but just took his word of self defense and let him walk home WITH the gun. They didnt test him for drugs or alcohol but they DID test Trayvon for that.
    i believe Zimmerman hasnt spoken because he is scared of how all this is going. And whats to say that all this time he is going to change his story to fit his side. Also one of Zimmermans friends has been on Dr Drew and stated had Trayvon just answered Zimmerman "repectfully" this wouldnt have happened. That is such bull.. If Zimmerman had just approached Trayvon "respectfully" and identified himself and then asked him why he was there.. this would not have happened..
    I also saw Al Sharpton speaking for the family and im sure the family just wants any kind of support for their son they can get to keep this story alive.
    Its been stated that Zimmerman is white, then hispanic. From what ive read he is white and hispanic. Im only stating this because some people think that if hes hispanic then its not racial. Only if a white person is involved. THat cant be farther from the truth. Im hispanic and know a few other hispanics that are racist against other races. (even tho they dont come forth and say it, little comments are said that i hear).
    I hope this family gets justice for their son. At the NYC rally Trayvons mother said that this is not a white or black thing but a right and wrong thing. And that Trayvon is not just her son but our son too.. Those are words that are so true. I have three teenage sons and dont want anyone judging them for their skin color or what they have one. Something has to change.
    Thank you for listening. Like i said this is my first post here and i hope i didnt offend anyone her, just giving my opinion.

MetalHeadBettie Guest
    Okay, I guess I'd like a reputable source or link as well. I read a couple places, here included, that it was in the head, but an article I just looked at did say the chest...It makes a big difference.

mals2004 Guest
    http://hotair.com/archives/2012/03/23/geraldo-blame-the-hoodie-for-trayvon-martin-shooting-as-much-as-the-shooter/

W
    ell Geraldo's throwing his 2 cents in...he thinks "The Hoodie" Trayvon was wearing is partly to blame...
    Last edited by mals2004; 03-23-2012 at 09:19 AM.

TheMysterian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    In the mugshot he does look white. Also, the police report said he was white... Just like they said he never had any prior offenses... Error after error by the boys in blue. They sure as working hard.
    George Zimmerman is Hispanic and grew up in a multiracial family!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,1716605.story

He is white Hispanic. There are black, Asian, Native American et al hispanic, too.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mike032312.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	41786
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Nelliebean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mike032312.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	41786
    You bad!

Nelliebean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Starstruck View Post
    Probably looked like a brightly colored grenade and a tall pourable uzzi.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    Where can I get info on where Trayvon was shot. Im hearing conflicting stories. Head or chest?
    Everything I have read says BACK of the head. I havent read chest, but I dont doubt its out there.

Obviously, back of the head is someone that doesnt know the shot is coming or is retreating from the assailant.

Chest is a different story and would jive more with the "self defense" story.

YuukaK Guest
    The news station for where I am are wsvn.com and wplg.com that I know for sure. I can't remember the others.