Thread: US Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

Richard Cranium Guest

US Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl

Ever heard of him?

http://supportbowe.org/

Sounds like 'ol shoe all over again.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

DionysianSpirit Guest
    I hate to say it but I doubt he is still alive.

Hope he's returned safely. That's great about fostering good relations with the Afghanis, but Pakistan is helping to harbor those who are holding him hostage. As we say in the Army, "Thank you, buddy!"
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

http://news.yahoo.com/us-soldier-fre...-politics.html

According to AP he's been freed in a prisoner exchange.

"The only American soldier held prisoner in Afghanistan has been freed from Taliban captivity in exchange for the release of five Afghan detainees from the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, Obama administration officials said Saturday."
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by TheWrath of MadelineKahn View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/us-soldier-fre...-politics.html

According to AP he's been freed in a prisoner exchange.

"The only American soldier held prisoner in Afghanistan has been freed from Taliban captivity in exchange for the release of five Afghan detainees from the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, Obama administration officials said Saturday."
    What this quote doesn't say is that they were "high valued targets", Taliban leaders and that Bowe Bergdahl was a likely deserter. Still trying to figure out how I feel about that.

I have such mixed feelings about this case. Six men lost their lives trying to rescue him. First of all, why did he leave his post? I think he needs to be court-martialed. What did he tell them during his captivity? Also, his father appears to have gone to the dark side:

Revealed: How freed US POW's UPS driver father told the Taliban 'God will repay the death of every Afghan child', learned Pashto, grew a beard and adopted liberal views in awake of son's capture

• Bob Bergdahl has drawn scrutiny after speaking Pashto, an Afghan language, and Arabic at a Rose Garden press conference
    • He has refused to trim his beard since his son was captured in 2009[
    • Deleted tweet that said 'God will repay the death of every Afghan child'
    • One conservative commentator called the message 'a smoking gun'
      From the moment the father of Bowe Bergdahl took the stage with President Barack Obama, it was clear the Bergdahls were not an average US mire]
      Sporting a long, bushy beard that he refused to trim since his son went missing in 2009, Bob Bergdahl spoke Pashto, Afghanistan's main language, and also a few words of Arabic at the White House press conference announcing his son's release.
      Some critics of the deal to free the only remaining American prisoner of war have shifted their attention to Mr.Berdajl.
      Just a few days before his son was released in a trade for five Guantanamo detainees, Mr Bergdalh tweeted at a Taliban spokesman saying, 'I am still working to free all Guantanamo prisoners.'
      'God will repay for the death of every Afghan child, ameen.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz33YtOqUK8
      Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    Last edited by McCourt; 06-03-2014 at 01:34 AM.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

I see this little distraction has let Fox News forget about
    BENGHAZI BENGHAZI BENGHAZI....

For like five minutes.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Going to be interesting as more information emerges on this.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    I see this little distraction has let Fox News forget about
    BENGHAZI BENGHAZI BENGHAZI....

For like five minutes.
    This is so much bigger than Fox News. Can you flip the record already.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

one word: traitor.

A couple of things to think about. First, why did we give up 5 Taliban for 1 soldier. Why not one or two? That sounds like a shitty negotiation. Or (here goes my conspiracy theory side) is this an end around to closing Guantanamo? You negotiate by releasing prisoners until there are none left.

I don't think there are any other Americans captive so you can't negotiate that but what about intelligence?

Also, I heard an interview with someone in the "know" that they have been negotiating since December and that was for a cash deal, not a prisoner swap. Those negotiations were suspended suddenly and now we have the administration violating the law by thumbing their nose at the proper process under the explanation that his health was in imminent risk yet he walks off the plane looking pretty good.

Wendy A. Guest
    YES! Traitor! He walked away from his post and was looking to talk to the taliban? 6 men lost their lives looking for him, and now we freed 5 of the worst of the worst? WHY? They should have left him there!

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy A. View Post
    YES! Traitor! He walked away from his post and was looking to talk to the taliban? 6 men lost their lives looking for him, and now we freed 5 of the worst of the worst? WHY? They should have left him there!
    So this administration could of said that they did everything to free this so called soldier. I swear to G-D this president and his staff are the worst....they think nothing through.....lets see....Benghazi, Obamacare, IRS targeting, the list goes on and on. And the Main stream media does not cover any of it!.....what is it, left leaning politics, political correctness gone afoul, what is it!!!!???
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

Quote Originally Posted by McCourt View Post
    This is so much bigger than Fox News. Can you flip the record already.
    Amen
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    March 1934-July 2016

In a Sea of Sorrow Guest
    Can we at least wait to find out why the guy left his post? Soldiers acquire ptsd, and panic and flee. He's innocent until proven guilty. What if this was a member of your family? Father, brother, husband?

A former Bush administration official broke with Republicans on Tuesday to defend President Obama’s prisoner exchange, arguing that since “the war in Afghanistan is winding down,” the United States would be required to return prisoners held at Guantanamo Bay back to Afghanistan.

“I don’t see how these particular Taliban officials could ever have been tried in the southern district of New York,” John Bellinger, who served as an adviser to President George W. Bush explained during an appearance on Fox News Tuesday. “They’re certainly some Al Qaeda detainees who committed actual terrorist acts against Americans who perhaps could have been tried in a federal court because they committed federal crimes, but these particular Taliban detainees I think could never have been tried in federal court.” Although some of the released prisoners posed a danger to the United States when they were captured in 2002, especially toward soldiers serving in Afghanistan, several of the detainees did not commit crimes against Americans.

Western Couple Held in Afghanistan

Maybe this is where the next 5 released Taliban leaders will come from.

As sad as their situation is, how naive do you have to be travel to Afghanistan for fun. This attitude says it all:

"They really and truly believed that if people were loved and treated with respect that that would be given back to them in kind,"

Research Nick Berg for the answer to that happy thought.

http://news.msn.com/world/ap-exclusi...in-afghanistan

Nick Berg.. *shudders* One of the few I could never watch again.

Well hey! Helped him drop some weight at least!

Idiots.. next..

Bergdahl's hometown has canceled his homecoming celebration citing security concerns.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/b...lease-23998575

"The small Idaho hometown of released captive Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl has canceled plans for a celebration later this month, citing security concerns after the town was inundated with negative emails and angry phone calls."
    Last edited by TheWrath of MadelineKahn; 06-04-2014 at 08:11 PM.
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

I'm still waiting to hear more about this case before I go thumb up or down.

In a Sea of Sorrow Guest
    Absolutely, cleanskull. I am always amazed at the passing of judgment before that facts! Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by In a Sea of Sorrow View Post
    Absolutely, cleanskull. I am always amazed at the passing of judgment before that facts! Wow.
    He wrote emails to his dad such as this:

“The future is too good to waste on lies,” Bergdahl wrote his parents. “And life is way too short to care for the damnation of others, as well as to spend helping fools with their ideas that are wrong. I have seen their ideas and I am ashamed to even be American. The horror of the self-righteous arrogance that they thrive in. It is all revolting.”

Then shortly after he ships them all his personal belongings telling them to do what they want with them, he doesn't need them. He leaves his post with no weapon, on water and two days rations. His fellow soldiers are absolutely convinced he deserted.

He hasn't been charged or tried yet but I think it looks bad enough that the opinions of those who belive he deserted are not unfounded.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/06/03...bled-bergdahl/

He should be tried accordingly. There is no excuse for what he is.
    I am the king of all things stupid!

luckyinlove Guest
    http://www.kvi.com/home/featured/Pla...=y&clmob=y&c=n

Bergdahl's platoon leader is a friend of mine....

In a Sea of Sorrow Guest
    Mentally ill, maybe? He should definitely be tried, but to be honest, I don't watch Fox News....they are twisters of truth and waaaaay too far to the right for me. Piss yellow journalism, at it's best. However, I am patiently waiting to see where this goes. But he shouldn't have been left over there. No way. Obama was right to get him out of there. Thanks for the info, Paulination.

Quote Originally Posted by In a Sea of Sorrow View Post
    Mentally ill, maybe? He should definitely be tried, but to be honest, I don't watch Fox News....they are twisters of truth and waaaaay too far to the right for me. Piss yellow journalism, at it's best. However, I am patiently waiting to see where this goes. But he shouldn't have been left over there. No way. Obama was right to get him out of there. Thanks for the info, Paulination.
    I don't disagree that the US should have sought to bring him home but the price we paid was too high. One of these Taliban guys is already out there vowing to fight america again.

Here is an interesting read from Rolling Stone.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...gdahl-20140602

Sounds like the dude just did not need to be a soldier. The oath you take when becoming a member of our Armed Services is not a joke. He deserted his unit during a time of war. He should be held accountable. There is a reason it's called war and not summer camp.

Soldiers work in units. If one person turns yellow then the unit is fighting with a broken hand. There is nothing acceptable about what he did. He put real lives in jeopardy with his cowardice. In my opinion it looks as if he may have actually flipped sides. Every single person that has lost a loved one in battle should want his head. He is the lowest form of coward and possibly worse.

again, I say: traitor.

One thing is never mentioned. Bergdahl should be planting corn in some commune right now and the soldiers who lost their lives should be just starting out on their adult lives. None of them should have been there in the first place. Bergdahl might be required to be held accountable for his actions but who is going to be held responsible for the fact he was there in the first place.

Why have we been in Afghanistan killing them for all of these years?

The war effort is certainly debatable but our military is voluntary.

Quote Originally Posted by McMorbid View Post
    It seems he though he was going to help the people of Afghanistan but found out he was sent to kill them and make things worse.

I totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by john*thomas View Post
    It seems he though he was going to help the people of Afghanistan but found out he was sent to kill them and make things worse.

I don't know this guy personally, but if that it true then he has been living under a rock. I hope that his "helping" the people of Afghanistan wasn't singing like a bird to the Taliban in the last five years.

I find his behavior (emails and talking with others), prior to his disappearance, as someone ready to go AWOL. Pisses me off that 6 soldiers gave the ultimate sacrifice for this guy.
    Cindy

Soldiers work in units. If one person turns yellow then the unit is fighting with a broken hand. There is nothing acceptable about what he did. He put real lives in jeopardy with his cowardice. In my opinion it looks as if he may have actually flipped sides. Every single person that has lost a loved one in battle should want his head. He is the lowest form of coward and possibly worse.
    Agreed. What a lot of folks don't realize is that a unit is not just thrown together, they are hand-picked to fill certain roles in the unit. Such as, scouts, medics, heavy machine gunner, support gunners, etc, keeping in mind that the first role of a soldier is to be a rifleman. They train, eat, sleep, shit, curse, talk, pray, screw, drink, etc as a unit. This is usually done from the moment of the unit's inception in order to promote friendships and allow them to act as one force. And this is why I take the unit's word for it when they say that he was known to desert his people and had the wrong views to be fighting in a unit against the same people he felt some kindness for. The spin from Obama that he fought with honor looks and feels like bullshit. As usual Obama is covering his ass with this illegal and not thought out operation. I mean why would you release five enemy generals back to cause more deaths and havoc back into the war zone? One of these released Generals even was quoted as saying that he will be fighting again by the weeks end. Can you imagine the moral of our troops after this debacle? You fight, lose friends, live in squalor for sometimes up to 3 tours of duty, and your Commander in chief pulls the rug out from under you. IMO this president needs to go and quickly, the only problem is that his 2nd in command is a cross between Howdy-Doody and a mental patient.
    March 1934-July 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I don't know this guy personally, but if that it true then he has been living under a rock. I hope that his "helping" the people of Afghanistan wasn't singing like a bird to the Taliban in the last five years.

I find his behavior (emails and talking with others), prior to his disappearance, as someone ready to go AWOL. Pisses me off that 6 soldiers gave the ultimate sacrifice for this guy.
    If people died looking for him he will have to answer for that but who is going to answer to the idea what we shouldn't be there anyway? What did the people of Afghanistan do to us?

If people died looking for him he will have to answer for that but who is going to answer to the idea what we shouldn't be there anyway? What did the people of Afghanistan do to us?
    Maybe NATO and President Bush can answer that question.
    Cindy

Not to start a flame war here but, The main reason was that the Taliban refused to turn over Bin Laden.
    March 1934-July 2016

I watched the interview with members of Bowe's unit. They know he deserted, they just don't know why. They are not happy with him and they are pissed at Susan Rice stating he served with honor. The core of their anger is that they would have died for him, but Bowe, clearly was not willing to die for them and in essence broke the bond of their loyalty to each other and to this nation.
    Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcafgr View Post
    Not to start a flame war here but, The main reason was that the Taliban refused to turn over Bin Laden.
    Will we refuse to turn over Amanda Knox? Why didn't we attack France for refusing to turn over Ira Einhorn?

Did we have a legit argument to go after OBL? Yes but he was out of Afghanistan in a very short time. Did Pakistan turn him over or allow in troops? Why didn't we attack them?

Wendy A. Guest
    Will we refuse to turn over Amanda Knox? Why didn't we attack France for refusing to turn over Ira Einhorn?

Did we have a legit argument to go after OBL? Yes but he was out of Afghanistan in a very short time. Did Pakistan turn him over or allow in troops? Why didn't we attack them?
    Good question, funny thing is Pakistan was/is (hell IDK anymore) considered our ally which was stupid to begin with. My thoughts on why we went to Iraq and stayed in Afghanistan so long is Halliburton. Dark Vader (Cheney) make a KILLING over there with them. They were in the RED before all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy A. View Post
    Good question, funny thing is Pakistan was/is (hell IDK anymore) considered our ally which was stupid to begin with. My thoughts on why we went to Iraq and stayed in Afghanistan so long is Halliburton. Dark Vader (Cheney) make a KILLING over there with them. They were in the RED before all of this.
    That is getting closer. The thing is Halliburton is still raking it in and Cheney is gone.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ing-hypocrisy/

That said, Cheney has done far more damage to our troops than Bergdahl.

The Taliban supported OBL running terrorist training camps, the same ones that produced the 911 terrorists. That place was a terrorist mill. The US didn't go in there to kill Afghani citizens, we went to kill terrorists and the people that support them. Geez, 9/11 was not that long ago, how quickly we forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulination View Post
    The Taliban supported OBL running terrorist training camps, the same ones that produced the 911 terrorists. That place was a terrorist mill. The US didn't go in there to kill Afghani citizens, we went to kill terrorists and the people that support them. Geez, 9/11 was not that long ago, how quickly we forget.
    So did Pakistan. Why didn't we attack them? So did Russia, when do we attack them? By many accounts Tamerlan Tsarnaev was being trained during his trips back and forth to Russia.

George Bush and Barack Obama are terrorists. Our military bases are terrorist training camps.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

No soldier left behind, isn't it? I was unaware there were exceptions. You bring them home first and if he's done something wrong, then you put him on trial. Innocent until proven guilty? Some people on this board disagree, it seems.

War is pretty fucked up.... especially the "wars" that America sometimes engages in. Lord knows what he went through. It's pretty over the top for some people in here to want his head chopped off with so little info.

Besides, what crimes were these terrorists convicted of? Did they even get a trial? And weren't they supposed to be released in 2015 anyways? They've essentially been released a few months early if the one article I read is accurate.
    Last edited by beep; 06-09-2014 at 03:51 AM.
    "Death has come to your little town, Sheriff." -Dr. Loomis

Rosebud666 Guest
    Yeah, damn it, it was a delightful little war until those pesky civilians kept getting in the way. Then the Taliban and their supporters refused to hang the "I am a terrorist" sings that we airdropped to them around their necks, and suddenly you couldn't sort out the players even with a program.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud666 View Post
    Yeah, damn it, it was a delightful little war until those pesky civilians kept getting in the way. Then the Taliban and their supporters refused to hang the "I am a terrorist" sings that we airdropped to them around their necks, and suddenly you couldn't sort out the players even with a program.
    Is this humor? Sarcasm? Disagreeing with what I wrote? Disagree with the war? I must be slow because I don't get the point.

Rosebud666 Guest
    Is this humor? Sarcasm? Disagreeing with what I wrote? Disagree with the war? I must be slow because I don't get the point.
    Yes? See, you're not slow at all.