Thread: Barbara Eden

Hoagie78 Guest

Barbara Eden

I was thinking of getting her new book and wondered if she talks about her relationship with Larry Hagman on IDOJ ? I had heard he made that show difficult to film and was drinking, doing drugs and eventually had a mental breakdown.

I love classic TV shows and like to hear what went on, even though sometimes it may ruin how you look at a series. I read that in 1969 NBC insisted that Tony & Jeannie be married by December that year or they would cancel the show. Barbara & Larry fought against it because they knew it would kill the show. It did. by Jan 1970 the ratings dropped and it was cancelled at the end of the season.

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoagie78 View Post
    I was thinking of getting her new book and wondered if she talks about her relationship with Larry Hagman on IDOJ ? I had heard he made that show difficult to film and was drinking, doing drugs and eventually had a mental breakdown.

I love classic TV shows and like to hear what went on, even though sometimes it may ruin how you look at a series. I read that in 1969 NBC insisted that Tony & Jeannie be married by December that year or they would cancel the show. Barbara & Larry fought against it because they knew it would kill the show. It did. by Jan 1970 the ratings dropped and it was cancelled at the end of the season.
    She does talk about his antics, but it's very respectful and warm. (I have the audio version where Barbara reads it aloud herself and you can hear the amusement in her voice, although she's very honest about how much of a piss off he could be).

1karenhb Guest
    I read the book when it first came out and thought it was a waste of money. I agree with radiojane about how she portrayed Hagman.

6 Seasons is a good run for a sitcom, esp. in the 60's. I would assume the show wouldve been cancelled in 1970 regardless of the plotline the wedding probably garnered more interest and viewers. 6 years is a long time for people to hear a woman calling a man master esp. considering the era the womens lib movement was near full swing at the end of the series.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

lisalouver Guest
    I read the book as well. She doesnt come right out and say Hagman was an asshole, but alludes to it. She also mentions his drinking and how he felt he was upstaged by her.

I have always loved Barbara Eden and think she has had her share of heartache and has taken it very well. Still a beautiful woman at her age

Starstruck Guest
    Very sad about her only son.

1st of all, thank you God for Barbara Eden and Dawn Wells! I would hate to think anyone had to go through their teen years without them. I could have guessed that Ms Eden wouldn't trash Mr Hagman, she was and still remains a class act!

GAWD I was in love with Barbara when she was on TV. That show would always piss me off when Jeanie would say "What is your wish master?" and he would say, "Say I'd like a new tie." And young horn dog me would yell at the TV "Bang her you idiot!" Then Jeanie's brunette cousin would visit and chase Hagman around the house for some lovin'. He would run from her screaming "Jeanie help me" and I would be yelling at the TV "Bang her her you fucking idiot!"

Thank de lawd for plastic surgeons, or Babs would have not had a TV career:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	barbaraeden52.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	41416
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

Hello Barbara Eden: You can be my Cougar anytime.
    (Even though we are almost the same age)

You are so cute.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Nelliebean Guest
    Barbara roomed with my aunt in her early days. They were both aspiring actresses.

Larrry was a alcoholic for years and usually was a bit marinated on the show.

sunshine74137 Guest
    I wish I had a cushy bottle to hide in every so often

I loved Eden in IDOJ! I remember watching her when I was growing up and thought she was so beautiful, still is.

Still going strong today at 91.

Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    She does talk about his antics, but it's very respectful and warm. (I have the audio version where Barbara reads it aloud herself and you can hear the amusement in her voice, although she's very honest about how much of a piss off he could be).

JOAN COLLINS said flat out that Larry Hagman was the most annoying stupid man in Hollywood. She said he went after her at some gathering for smoking and tried to lecture her in front of everyone on the evils of smoking to which she countered him saying, “ Larry, you make smoking sound even worse than alcoholism … “ That shut him up.
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

I read once that he carried a pocket fan around and would go up to people who were smoking at parties and use the fan to blow the smoke back in their faces. That said, I am a smoker and I would have punched him in the face!
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzyChick View Post
    I loved Eden in IDOJ! I remember watching her when I was growing up and thought she was so beautiful, still is.
    So true, hope she lives a nice great long life.