Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 12341151 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitney Houston

Reecy Guest
    My heart is broken. I was hoping she wouldn't die young.

RIP Whitney.

I'm just in shock. Fucking depressing. RIP Ms. Houston
    [SIGPIC]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/Zoe_Zeppelin/Zepsig1.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cranium View Post
    I did not have Bobby out-living Whitney in the office pool....
    Ha! Love it!

This needs to be merged...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul! (Invictus)
    (And Timothy McVeigh's last words...)

Richard Cranium Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    As Houston's death has not yet been confirmed by People, CNN, et al, I have merged the posts here. If confirmed, a mod with unmerge. I surfed it and there were several site that called it a rumor. Who knows? TMZ reported Michael Jackson's death long before it was reported on mainstream news.
    They are seeing this article http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...1#.TzcS9MVrOao It is from 2001. When you do a google search for "Whitney Houston Dead" it is the first article to pop up, but its from 2001. ABC, CNN, TMZ, FOX, etc. are all confirming the death.

Birthplace of the Rocky Horror Picture Show
    gonna delete my other post if i can lol, no one had posted when i did mine then i hit enter and boom, 3 other posts as well lol

http://www.observer.com/2012/02/ap-s...on-dead-at-48/
    I love you and miss you dad, Antun Perdija 27-06-41 - 28-12-00
    RIP Daniel Colvin 5 June 1974 - 7 June 2011, Best Friend, lover, fiancee

RIP David Edgar, 2 Dec 1953 - 10 June 2011, Uncle
    RIP Agnes Steele Edgar, 17 May 1926 - 4 July 2011, Grandmother

Elizabeth Guest
    She relapsed......I would bet anything on it.....

Bobby Brown, thanks for your help in making this happen......

RIP Whitney.....you were one of the biggest talents......

MorbidChrissy Guest

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    Theres two threads!!! LMAO
    I went with the one with the earliest time stamp haaaa

Quote Originally Posted by Reecy View Post
    My heart is broken. I was hoping she wouldn't die young.
    She didn't.

Damn.

I am torn between feeling bad that she died so young and made poor life choices by becoming drug addicted and being pissed that I didn't pick her for my Rotten Dead Pool list this year....

ETA: Yes, 48 to me is young. When someone is only 7 years older than you, and you don't feel "old", it kinda hits home and feels freaky. Old is like...your 80s or something.
    Last edited by Metal Mel; 02-11-2012 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Adding a comment
    "I don't want the bodies, just the pictures."
    --Castle

WOW!

RaRaRamona Guest
    Just wait there will ten more threads

MunstersBabe Guest
    Rest in peace.

Reecy Guest
    I feel really sorry for her daughter.

The Lucky One Guest
    So sad!!!

Im sorry to her family and her daughter. Im not suprised at all. She once was a beautiful woman and had a beautiful voice, sadly she went down the wrong path. RIP

Jules1973 Guest
    When she was on X Factor in the UK a few years ago, me and my sister were going to order tickets to see her tour, however that put us off seeing her and we decided we'd rather listen to her CDs than see her live. Hoped she was going to eventually come back and we could actually see her in concert. RIP Whitney

RaRaRamona Guest
    Me too

A friend of mine on Facebook just said "You were a wonderful, beautiful woman & then you met Bobby Brown."

true!
    Last edited by RaRaRamona; 02-11-2012 at 05:40 PM. Reason: apparently I had another Bobbi Brown on my mind

Mulvaness Guest
    Rip Whitney!

Bbeelzebub Guest
    She died on singer/murderer Brandy's Birthday! Brandy is the sister of Whitney's last man, Ray J. Weird coincidence.

Elizabeth Guest

From TMZ.....left is Whitney in 1986 Grammys, then on the right is her this past Thursday.....this is what drugs will do to you, kids......

Forever-27 Guest
    Holy shit

Death works in mysterious and amazing ways.

DrPickles Guest
    i was shocked by it, my wife came in and told me about it and i thought she was just messing with me, so i had to get up and saw the scroll on NBC as breaking news. She likes to tell me people died to get me going and looking, she knows my death hag addiction. i was actually reading through another thread on here so i jumped over to the musicians sections to "confrim" it. I did notice the one thread i saw disappeared to be replaced by this one.

Djen Guest
    Oh wow, that was surprising. I'm with the "drug-related" guesses. I hate to say that, though.

Jules1973 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    Me too

A friend of mine on Facebook just said "You were a wonderful, beautiful woman & then you bought Bobby Brown."

true!
    Third top trending on twitter in the UK at the moment is Bobby Brown!

DH just called a few minutes ago and told me. I'm in shock. I've been a Whitney Houston fan since I was a kid. Whitney was my first "main-stream" favorite artist. Here's an article I found:

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainmen...wn-causes.html
    "Tequila may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot."

"I just go here!"

"I am not psychic. I AM psychotic. BIG difference."

IMO one of the greatest versions of The Star Spangled Banner.

[SIGPIC]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/Zoe_Zeppelin/Zepsig1.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Very sad but not terribly surprising. I loved, loved, loved me some Whitney back in the day. Once she hooked up Bobby, she basically lost her mind. If her death wasn't directly drug related, it was probably linked to the years of abuse.
    "You live alone, creating your life as you go." - Edie Sedgwick

Ted Challinor Guest
    Here she is looking very drunk on her last night according to one paper http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...=feeds-newsxml

So do I RIP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Moved back to Muscians. Because it's now on Yahoo! and Larry King.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

havoc Guest
    Wow. No surprise though. Drug-related I'm sure.

Bobby Brown that Motherfucker ruined a beautiful, talented singer.

RIP Whitney....

Wow. How sad. RIP Whitney.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Looks like another case of someone getting clean, then ODing because they lost their tolerance for a large does.

I guess she will NOT always love you...

Wonderful. Now we get that skank 24/7 on the airwaves and in the media for the next two months. K-Tel will of course be issuing her entire backlogged catalogue and the record company will be scouring the vaults to release anything they can find. Oh joy.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post

From TMZ.....left is Whitney in 1986 Grammys, then on the right is her this past Thursday.....this is what drugs will do to you, kids......

Um, she's 26 years older in the second picture. Nobody looks the same in their 40s as in their 20s. She appears to have aged pretty normally, aside from the obvious boob lifts and other platic surgery.

Now I can say it...HOLY SHIT!
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

According to some guy on CNN, Ray-J found her.

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by editrix View Post
    Um, she's 26 years older in the second picture. Nobody looks the same in their 40s as in their 20s. She appears to have aged pretty normally, aside from the obvious boob lifts and other platic surgery.
    I was going to say.... she looks not bad

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bbeelzebub View Post
    She died on singer/murderer Brandy's Birthday! Brandy is the sister of Whitney's last man, Ray J. Weird coincidence.
    Ouch!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jules1973 View Post
    Third top trending on twitter in the UK at the moment is Bobby Brown!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiaBrown View Post
    DH just called a few minutes ago and told me. I'm in shock. I've been a Whitney Houston fan since I was a kid. Whitney was my first "main-stream" favorite artist. Here's an article I found:

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainmen...wn-causes.html
    LOS ANGELES — Whitney Houston, who reigned as pop music’s queen until her majestic voice and regal image were ravaged by drug use, erratic behavior and a tumultuous marriage to singer Bobby Brown, has died. She was 48.Publicist Kristen Foster said Saturday that the singer had died, but the cause and the location of her death were unknown.
    At her peak, Houston the golden girl of the music industry. From the middle 1980s to the late 1990s, she was one of the world’s best-selling artists. She wowed audiences with effortless, powerful, and peerless vocals that were rooted in the black church but made palatable to the masses with a pop sheen.
    Her success carried her beyond music to movies, where she starred in hits like “The Bodyguard” and “Waiting to Exhale.”
    She had the he perfect voice, and the perfect image: a gorgeous singer who had sex appeal but was never overtly sexual, who maintained perfect poise.
    She influenced a generation of younger singers, from Christina Aguilera to Mariah Carey, who when she first came out sounded so much like Houston that many thought it was Houston.
    But by the end of her career, Houston became a stunning cautionary tale of the toll of drug use. Her album sales plummeted and the hits stopped coming; her once serene image was shattered by a wild demeanor and bizarre public appearances. She confessed to abusing cocaine, marijuana and pills, and her once pristine voice became raspy and hoarse, unable to hit the high notes as she had during her prime.
    “The biggest devil is me. I’m either my best friend or my worst enemy,” Houston told ABC’s Diane Sawyer in an infamous 2002 interview with then-husband Brown by her side.
    It was a tragic fall for a superstar who was one of the top-selling artists in pop music history, with more than 55 million records sold in the United States alone.
    She seemed to be born into greatness. She was the daughter of gospel singer Cissy Houston, the cousin of 1960s pop diva Dionne Warwick and the goddaughter of Aretha Franklin.
    Houston first started singing in the church as a child. In her teens, she sang backup for Chaka Khan, Jermaine Jackson and others, in addition to modeling. It was around that time when music mogul Clive Davis first heard Houston perform.
    “The time that I first saw her singing in her mother’s act in a club ... it was such a stunning impact,” Davis told “Good Morning America.”
    “To hear this young girl breathe such fire into this song. I mean, it really sent the proverbial tingles up my spine,” he added.
    Before long, the rest of the country would feel it, too. Houston made her album debut in 1985 with “Whitney Houston,” which sold millions and spawned hit after hit. “Saving All My Love for You” brought her her first Grammy, for best female pop vocal. “How Will I Know,” ‘’You Give Good Love” and “The Greatest Love of All” also became hit singles.
    Another multiplatinum album, “Whitney,” came out in 1987 and included hits like “Where Do Broken Hearts Go” and “I Wanna Dance With Somebody.”
    The New York Times wrote that Houston “possesses one of her generation’s most powerful gospel-trained voices, but she eschews many of the churchier mannerisms of her forerunners. She uses ornamental gospel phrasing only sparingly, and instead of projecting an earthy, tearful vulnerability, communicates cool self-assurance and strength, building pop ballads to majestic, sustained peaks of intensity.”
    Her decision not to follow the more soulful inflections of singers like Franklin drew criticism by some who saw her as playing down her black roots to go pop and reach white audiences. The criticism would become a constant refrain through much of her career. She was even booed during the “Soul Train Awards” in 1989.
    “Sometimes it gets down to that, you know?” she told Katie Couric in 1996. “You’re not black enough for them. I don’t know. You’re not R&B enough. You’re very pop. The white audience has taken you away from them.”
    Some saw her 1992 marriage to former New Edition member and soul crooner Bobby Brown as an attempt to refute those critics. It seemed to be an odd union; she was seen as pop’s pure princess while he had a bad-boy image, and already had children of his own. (The couple had a daughter, Bobbi Kristina, in 1993.) Over the years, he would be arrested several times, on charges ranging from DUI to failure to pay child support.
    But Houston said their true personalities were not as far apart as people may have believed.
    “When you love, you love. I mean, do you stop loving somebody because you have different images? You know, Bobby and I basically come from the same place,” she told Rolling Stone in 1993. “You see somebody, and you deal with their image, that’s their image. It’s part of them, it’s not the whole picture. I am not always in a sequined gown. I am nobody’s angel. I can get down and dirty. I can get raunchy.”
    It would take several years, however, for the public to see that side of Houston. Her moving 1991 rendition of “The Star Spangled Banner” at the Super Bowl, amid the first Gulf War, set a new standard and once again reaffirmed her as America’s sweetheart.
    In 1992, she became a star in the acting world with “The Bodyguard.” Despite mixed reviews, the story of a singer (Houston) guarded by a former Secret Service agent (Kevin Costner) was an international success.
    It also gave her perhaps her most memorable hit: a searing, stunning rendition of Dolly Parton’s “I Will Always Love You,” which sat atop the charts for weeks. It was Grammy’s record of the year and best female pop vocal, and the “Bodyguard” soundtrack was named album of the year.
    She returned to the big screen in 1995-96 with “Waiting to Exhale” and “The Preacher’s Wife.” Both spawned soundtrack albums, and another hit studio album, “My Love Is Your Love,” in 1998, brought her a Grammy for best female R&B vocal for the cut “It’s Not Right But It’s Okay.”
    But during these career and personal highs, Houston was using drugs. In an interview with Oprah Winfrey in 2010, she said by the time “The Preacher’s Wife” was released, “(doing drugs) was an everyday thing. ... I would do my work, but after I did my work, for a whole year or two, it was every day. ... I wasn’t happy by that point in time. I was losing myself.”
    In the interview, Houston blamed her rocky marriage to Brown, which included a charge of domestic abuse against Brown in 1993. They divorced in 2007.
    Houston would go to rehab twice before she would declare herself drug-free to Winfrey in 2010. But in the interim, there were missed concert dates, a stop at an airport due to drugs, and public meltdowns.
    She was so startlingly thin during a 2001 Michael Jackson tribute concert that rumors spread she had died the next day. Her crude behavior and jittery appearance on Brown’s reality show, “Being Bobby Brown,” was an example of her sad decline. Her Sawyer interview, where she declared “crack is whack,” was often parodied. She dropped out of the spotlight for a few years.
    Houston staged what seemed to be a successful comeback with the 2009 album “I Look To You.” The album debuted on the top of the charts, and would eventually go platinum.
    Things soon fell apart. A concert to promote the album on “Good Morning America” went awry as Houston’s voice sounded ragged and off-key. She blamed an interview with Winfrey for straining her voice.
    A world tour launched overseas, however, only confirmed suspicions that Houston had lost her treasured gift, as she failed to hit notes and left many fans unimpressed; some walked out. Canceled concert dates raised speculation that she may have been abusing drugs, but she denied those claims and said she was in great shape, blaming illness for cancellations.

Jules1973 Guest
    I'm glad someone else said that, personally apart from general aging not sure what that shows.... I'm almost 40 (next year!) and I look older than I did 25 years ago

Djen Guest
    Yeah, that's really not bad for 26 years. Maybe I should start up some drugs if that's what they do to you?

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smg View Post
    According to some guy on CNN, Ray-J found her.
    What???? LOL That is a joke, right?

auntmeanne Guest
    I sure hope she had a will so Bobby Brown does not end up with their child. It is sooo sad she got messed up with drugs the talent and beauty that woman had.

A few sites are reporting she died at the Beverly Hilton and are hinting it was drugs but one said unconfirmed suicide.

Jules1973 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    A world tour launched overseas, however, only confirmed suspicions that Houston had lost her treasured gift, as she failed to hit notes and left many fans unimpressed; some walked out. Canceled concert dates raised speculation that she may have been abusing drugs, but she denied those claims and said she was in great shape, blaming illness for cancellations.
    This is what we didn't want, we wanted to listen to her voice on CDs not have a lasting impression of a concert that did not live up to our expectations, however high they may have been

desertangel Guest
    OMG... I just logged on to Facebook and saw the News Feed. And to think they were slamming her on Fashion Police just last night for looking like she was stuck in the 1980s. I thought she looked relatively healthy in comparison to other photos I've seen in the past. RIP Whitney. Her struggle is finally over. Who would have thought she would outlive Bobby Brown. I pray for her daughter, her mother and Dionne. I'm sure they are devastated.

The Lucky One Guest
    I made a few phone calls and one of my sources says Ray-J found her dead in a hotel....

LOL!