Thread: Assemblywoman in sperm warfare

Assemblywoman in sperm warfare

Forget speed limits -- one state legislator wants sperm limits.

Citing reports of a sperm donor with 150 kids and more on the way, Assemblywoman Deborah Glick yesterday revealed plans to propose legislation to limit the number of children a single donor can sire.
    The bill, to be presented when the Legislature reconvenes, would require sperm banks to maintain updated registries and make donorsâ?? health information available to their kids.

Sounds like someone isn't getting any at home.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

jaylene Guest
    Odds would be really high you could marry a half brother or sister. There
    should be a cut off. Too many men in the world that wouldn't mind at all
    donating their "junk."

Im thinking of The Smipsons ep in which Barney was a sperm donor and the echos of familiar sounding baby burps reverberated throughout Springfield.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

jaylene Guest
    Smipsons?? That don't make any sense Ichy?

Quote Originally Posted by jaylene View Post
    Smipsons?? That don't make any sense Ichy?
    Oops. Simpsons. Lousy Smarch weather.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

jaylene Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Oops. Simpsons. Lousy Smarch weather.

I think it's Smeptember, not Smarch.

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    Sounds like someone isn't getting any at home.
    Your ribbon, sir:

Quote Originally Posted by jaylene View Post
    Odds would be really high you could marry a half brother or sister.
    Oh how horrifying - I hadn't even thought of that. Ew ew ew ew ewwwww!

There was a story in today's Boston Globe about a local lawyer who, during his days as a poor law student, became a sperm donor; he's since found out that he's the biodad of 70 known children, and possibly up to 150. He's met two of the kids so far, who definitely look a lot like him; there are websites & databases where you can plug in your donor number (yes, they have numbers, in case it's medically necessary to track parents and/or kids down) to find out how many kids you've unknowingly fathered, or how many half-siblings your kids have, which was how he ended up meeting these particular kids and their mom. As was pointed out (I don't remember if it was in the article or in the online comments), you used to have to be a ruler w/a boatload of wives & concubines, or else one hell of a manslut, to spread one's seed around like that, rather than an early-30-something Boston lawyer a few years out of law school.

Needless to say, the online commenters are having a field day w/this one, and the guy's fiancee is pissed off, calling him "selfish" for having been a donor in the first place (you know, I just don't see this marriage working out over the long haul, assuming that they even get married after all this), but I don't see that--he believed it when they told him he'd be anonymous, and he never expected to be quite that, erm, popular with the ladies in such a way. I don't think calling him selfish is appropriate; after all, there are other ways to make money, and most guys who go this route do seem to want to help people have children they otherwise couldn't have (although I'm sure getting paid to do something guys do anyway has a certain appeal...); still, though, this opens up one hell of a Pandora's box in terms of ethics, responsibility of biological parents (not just men, either, as there are plenty of egg donors out there, although they can't compete w/the guys in sheer number of offspring ), what kind of relationship children should have w/a biological parent in these situations, etc.

I do agree, though, that something should be done in terms of limiting the number of kids any one donor should produce, if only to prevent unintentional incest between half-siblings down the road. Perhaps 10-12 would be a good number, with preference given to those who already have a child by this particular donor, so the kids would be full siblings, and making sure there's a decent amount of geographical distance between recipients? What say you?

Perhaps 10-12 would be a good number, with preference given to those who already have a child by this particular donor, so the kids would be full siblings
    I'd say that's reasonable.

jaylene Guest
    Totally agree myself. 10 to 12 is reasonable.

Geographical distance between recipients isnt a factor considering the sperm is shipped to clinics in every state and high instances of relocation among income groups that are able to afford such procedures.
    The donor industry claims to be highly regulated by federal and state laws in addition to compliance with medical and reproductive organizations.
    https://www.nwcryobank.com/cryobank-...nd-statistics/
    Im searching for any proof that this one man is actually the father of 150 turkey baster babies.
    Im also appalled by this quote:
    â??These sperm banks are keeping donors anonymous, making women babies and making a lot of money. But nowhere in that formula is doing whatâ??s right for the donor families.â?
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/06/he...pagewanted=all

Makes me think of this:
    Attachment 31764

radiojane Guest
    Science makes for big headaches. Knee jerk reaction is that sperm donation is supposed to be anonymous for a reason. But then you counter with genetic medical conditions and yada yada and it gets to be a really grey area, which jerks the knee back to "if you can't make one the normal way, you shouldn't make one at all", which of course is not fair to a lot of people, including, possibly, one day me.

My boyfriend tried to donate when he was in university. In Canada you have to have a four year degree. He has a two year technical one. Poor guy. I'm so heartbroken he doesn't have children running around.

Hmmm. Looked up Deborah Glick just to see what shes all about. Shes openly gay, progressive and actively supports a wide variety of many reasonable causes. She seems to be overextending herself with this latest move for sperm legislation and others such as cell phone cancer warnings and prohibiting leasers from requiring renters cats to be declawed.
    I think New Yorks first openly lesbian (or gay) legislator has her fingers in too many pies.

I have a picture of Ms. Glick in my mind of her in full combat gear, firing off vials of goo at the enemy.

Giggity giggity......giggity..........

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Hmmm. Looked up Deborah Glick just to see what shes all about. Shes openly gay, progressive and actively supports a wide variety of many reasonable causes. She seems to be overextending herself with this latest move for sperm legislation and others such as cell phone cancer warnings and prohibiting leasers from requiring renters cats to be declawed.
    I think New Yorks first openly lesbian (or gay) legislator has her fingers in too many pies.
    Cancer from cell phones I'm not so sure about, but I'm with her on regulating sperm donations, and VERY much with her on the declawing issue. Yes, nobody wants their woodwork/carpet/furniture shredded, but declawing cats is frankly cruel--for a human, the equivalent would be taking off your fingers at the first two knuckles and leaving you w/little stumps. Not only can they not scratch, but most of the time they can't climb trees or anything else if they needed to escape a dangerous situation; also, it's not uncommon for declawed cats to become biters (then again, you'd be pissy, too, if someone chopped off most of your fingers). I wouldn't go as far as banning declawing, as there may be some situations where that truly is the best option, but landlords requiring it of their tenants' cats is wrong and should be outlawed. (Besides, based on what I've seen over the years, it's the 2-legged residents who trash apartments the most, not the 4-legged ones...)

Why yes, I AM a catmom...how can you tell? *looks over at sleeping Jezebel*

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinTMP View Post
    Cancer from cell phones I'm not so sure about, but I'm with her on regulating sperm donations, and VERY much with her on the declawing issue. Yes, nobody wants their woodwork/carpet/furniture shredded, but declawing cats is frankly cruel--for a human, the equivalent would be taking off your fingers at the first two knuckles and leaving you w/little stumps. Not only can they not scratch, but most of the time they can't climb trees or anything else if they needed to escape a dangerous situation; also, it's not uncommon for declawed cats to become biters (then again, you'd be pissy, too, if someone chopped off most of your fingers). I wouldn't go as far as banning declawing, as there may be some situations where that truly is the best option, but landlords requiring it of their tenants' cats is wrong and should be outlawed. (Besides, based on what I've seen over the years, it's the 2-legged residents who trash apartments the most, not the 4-legged ones...)

Why yes, I AM a catmom...how can you tell? *looks over at sleeping Jezebel*

As someone with a LOT of Veterinary experience behind her, I'm going to respectfully disagree. Most adapt very well, they still climb excellently and fight quite well, and most biting behavior shows when they're defending themselves, which just shows that they're adapting. I get really mad when people jump to it being "cruel". It isn't, and believe it or not it's saved a lot of cats that would have been offed had they clawed up the curtains.

I do submit that you can train SOME cats not to scratch. And I do agree that the two leggers wreck more apartments.

Sorry to hijack and go off topic, but it's something I have to open my mouth on. My father was a vet. He wouldn't dock tails or ears. He wouldn't do many of the useless "cosmetic" things people want done to their animals. But he did declaw in good conscience.