Thread: Rozz Williams

Rozz Williams

Rozz Williams, founder of Christian Death. Hung himself on April 1, 1998.

qulevergrrl Guest
    I used to go to the house of a friend of his. He was there quite a bit. I probably shouldn't mention the friends name because we lost touch. Anyway, Rozz wasn't the happiest guy on the planet. His wife/girlfriend thought that everyone wanted something from him. Most of the people there were too doped up to want much but dope from anyone else. So I doubt that they were looking fame through Rozz, the Marilyn Manson of his time. I used to go for the entertainment on the television, believe it or not. He and his friend used to get some extremely twisted and very realistic foreign films of the gore variety. The cops say those type don't exist. I don't know. They looked pretty real to me. A little too real. Anyway, he wasn't untouchable. If you were in any kind of goth/garage band in so cal in the 90s, you would likely be welcomed at the endless gatherings at his friends house and he was almost always there. Well o.k., so they called this guy Evil Ed. But he was sooooo sweet. I mean really, really nice. He had spiderweb tatts on each elbow. Does anyone here know him? He didn't seem evil to me at all. All I know is that the films came from Germany and Mexico, and they generally were delivered to the house in brown bags. I know there were heroin rooms, but no one did it in the open. Not everyone there did drugs. My guitar player and I didn't. This was the mid-90s. I'll admit that back then I'd take a hit now and again, but nothing heavy like that stuff. It was a relatively mellow scene. Not crazy.

But like I said, it wasn't like there were a bunch of bodyguards around or a giant fence with a sign that read, "stay out, Rozz Williams is in here." He was just kinda...there.

knothere Guest
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ROzz_williams_picture.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	1731

Death Hag Chris Guest
    I saw Rozz in Chicago in '97 at the Expo Of The Extreme. not really my thing. I don't get goth....but to each his/her own. and I heard he was gay too.

hoxharding Guest
    He made the film 'Pig' I saw it about a month ago-very weird and disturbing. He made it

Pig, co-created by Rozz Williams(singer/founder of goth band Christian Death) and Dutchman Nico B. is a diamond in the rough of somewhat contemporary short films. This is especially true in regards to films of a similar nature (if there is anything similar). Shot on gritty and scratched black and white film, Pig looks like its film was found in the abandoned house it was filmed in. It captures a world that is buried at the bottom of a dark soul’s unconscious.

Rozz William’s set design is amazing as expected. Collages of the apocalypse surround rooms and they are even read from a truly unholy book. Rozz’s art is easily identifiable as it is piercingly full of taboos. Pig is also easily the most lively of Rozz’s art(for more of his art checkout the book "Art of Rozz Williams : From Christian Death to Death") as it is his only film.

I think that Rozz Williams and Nico B. may owe a small debt to auteurs of the past. Luis BuƱuel (Un Chien Andalou), Jean Cocteau (Blood of a Poet), Maya Deren (Meshes of the Afternoon), and Kenneth Anger (Fireworks) to name a few. Pig is easily able to hold its own with these masterpieces. I have yet to see any other recent short films worthy of this recognition (unless you count the first 15 minutes of Elias Merhige’s Begotten).

Pig in its entirety is one bad (or good) surrealistic dream. Body mutilation, head bandaged sign language, and atmospheric car rides stick in your mind long after the film is over. This is a world I would enjoy visiting if I had the opportunity and nerve to do so. I am sure Rozz Williams did as he committed suicide (April Fool’s 1998) shortly after Pig’s completion.

The musical score of Pig is similar to that of Rozz William’s music projects (Christian Death, Shadow Project, etc). Ambient sounds and noise perfectly compliment the film’s nihilistic and detached tone. Obviously something you would expect of Rozz Williams. The score becomes especially intense in a scene that continuously spins around in circles in a room in the abandoned house. Hitler also makes a couple auditory appearances.

Pig is a film that is recommended reviewing for everyday of the week. When I watch it I can’t help to think what Rozz Williams could have created cinema wise in years to come. Rozz admittedly used Pig as a way to exorcise and transfer his inner demons. In real life I don’t think he accomplished this.(his suicide is an indicator of that) Instead he created a transgressive masterpiece.

hoxharding Guest
    Williams was born Roger Alan Painter in Pomona, California and was raised in a strict Southern Baptist family with his three older siblings (two brothers and one sister).
    While his older brothers preferred to listen to bands such as Lynyrd Skynyrd, with his sister adhering to Janis Joplin and other similar artists, Rozz, as a child, preferred musicians along the lines of David Bowie, Roxy Music, T. Rex, Alice Cooper, Iggy Pop, and The New York Dolls. When he reached adolescence in the late 1970s, he became attracted to the punk rock music scene.

hoxharding Guest
    Here is an excerpt from 'Pig'
    It is very gross and surreal:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dJu9LH3fBs

crescentia Guest
    I saw him in 95 and he wasd a great performer. However, I find a lot of the Rozz worshipping among the younger crowd to be a bit over the top. I think Eva O is a total mess for attempting to ressurect the original Christian Death. Let sleeping dogs lie.

Noreen Guest
    Wow, I never heard of him. Will check out his youtube

hoxharding Guest
    I saw 'Pig' when I rented 'Cinema of Death'

Back in the early/mid 90's we used to hang out with Nivek Ogre (Kevin Oglevie(sp)) from Skinny Puppy (he was VERY nice and so shy that he had to get bombed before he went out on stage). I remember someone mentioning Rozz during one of our "outings" with him. That's my story....Ta Da...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

hoxharding Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    Back in the early/mid 90's we used to hang out with Nivek Ogre (Kevin Oglevie(sp)) from Skinny Puppy (he was VERY nice and so shy that he had to get bombed before he went out on stage). I remember someone mentioning Rozz during one of our "outings" with him. That's my story....Ta Da...

Cool=)

Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    Here is an excerpt from 'Pig'
    It is very gross and surreal:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dJu9LH3fBs
    Oh...my eyes!! I wish I hadnt seen that!!!! Nightmare!

hoxharding Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by baroque1 View Post
    Oh...my eyes!! I wish I hadnt seen that!!!! Nightmare!

Told you-he made that before he killed himself. I actually paid to see it.

D3LIVIĆ?N Guest

Rozz Williams

I got to know Rozz during the last few years of his life, prior to which I was just a fan. His suicide led to at least 1-2 other people (that knew Rozz) killing themselves as well, one of which I knew. I have recently had a few bizarre run in's with Eva O as well. I have known Rick Agnew through other people on and off for years as well, Fun and interesting guy to be around.

I guess if you were into death rock and from So-Cal, chances are you knew or had met at least one person from Christian Death or Shadow Project.. I still put on Only Theatre Of Pain or Catastrophe Ballet once in a while.

I can’t believe it’s been over 10 years now! By the way… The Museum Of Death that is suppose to be re-opening again in Hollywood used to have the noose and door Rozz hung himself from on display.
    Last edited by D3LIVIĆ?N; 06-25-2008 at 04:08 PM.

D3LIVIĆ?N Guest

Lightbulb Rozz Williams

Also,

When I was looking at his nitch at Hollywood Forever and reading the poem/suicide note I noticed a few things. Not only has it been heavily edited by someone but It sounds to be like this suicide was planned for that particular day, month and year based upon his 1332 (year of the plague thing). I could be wrong but that was the impression that myself and some friends took away from reading it very closely a few times.

If anyone knows anything about him planning his suicide for a specific date based upon numbers, please let me know.

crescentia Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Delivian View Post
    Also,

When I was looking at his nitch at Hollywood Forever and reading the poem/suicide note I noticed a few things. Not only has it been heavily edited by someone but It sounds to be like this suicide was planned for that particular day, month and year based upon his 1332 (year of the plague thing). I could be wrong but that was the impression that myself and some friends took away from reading it very closely a few times.

If anyone knows anything about him planning his suicide for a specific date based upon numbers, please let me know.

As far as I know he didn't leave an actual suicide note. That is probably just a poem of his or something that somebody put in the niche.

Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    Told you-he made that before he killed himself. I actually paid to see it.
    yes, you did warn us but.....Im adding to your warning~Do not look if a penis sewn to nipples bothers you

Well....now I HAVE to look!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!