Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Ad Issues

Phone browsers should now default to our "Featherweight" skin. If you have a different theme showing, you can switch over to try it out.

Right now (this may change), non-members AND members who are not logged in may see a pop-up/popunder. If you're logged in and you come here directly, you won't be served those ads at all. It looks like the code specifically for mobile browsers was the jackass, so that's gone for all users. I may test a single pop-up/popunder for non-subscribers that will display a maximum of one time per user per day. If you would like to be a subscriber but cannot subscribe the conventional way, ask me here and I will give you a subscription.

If you do have an ad that pops up here or on any other site, blocking your screen, try closing the tab with the ad in it. The method to do this varies by browser, but it generally involves pulling in the browser interface and either X-ing out of or swiping away the offending tab (not closing the whole browser). I know that's obvious to some, but you might be shocked at how many users do not try this.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    I got one today that hijacked my browser and loaded a page with virus warnings and kept playing an audio message in a loop telling me that since I was seeing that page; my computer was infected - call the number listed immediately for instructions on how to remove it.

Couldn't close that page or my browser - had to "three finger salute it" and do it through Task Manager.

Attachment 53758
    This happened to me today when I went to findadeath.com via the link at the bottom of the forum page.

On findadeath, when I clicked on updates it changed the browser and I got a female computer voice telling me to call a 1-800 number for assistance.
    Morgan

That's pretty lame of them. I'm not going to call an 800 number for something like that. I might not even call if the female voice tells me to call a 1-900 number. Well, OK - I'll call; but I'm keeping the charges to something less than $100. Probably. OK, maybe. I guess we'll see.

My biggest gripe lately is the auto-play ad videos at the bottom of the pages. I'm just reading posts and those damned things start blaring away and I have to scroll to the bottom of the page to shut them the heck up.

I'd go back to paying for the "ad free" option if I knew it would fix that stuff and the browser redirects that I still got when I paid for it.

A lot of things seem a bit buggy on the site too - if I try to reply with a quote I only get part of the quoted post; when I type, characters don't appear, spacing is off, etc. I have to switch the editor just to type a post. But; I don't know if that is a site issue or an issue with my browser.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

That's pretty lame of them. I'm not going to call an 800 number for something like that. I might not even call if the female voice tells me to call a 1-900 number. Well, OK - I'll call; but I'm keeping the charges to something less than $100. Probably. OK, maybe. I guess we'll see.

My biggest gripe lately is the auto-play ad videos at the bottom of the pages. I'm just reading posts and those damned things start blaring away and I have to scroll to the bottom of the page to shut them the heck up.

I'd go back to paying for the "ad free" option if I knew it would fix that stuff and the browser redirects that I still got when I paid for it.

A lot of things seem a bit buggy on the site too - if I try to reply with a quote I only get part of the quoted post; when I type, characters don't appear, spacing is off, etc. I have to switch the editor just to type a post. But; I don't know if that is a site issue or an issue with my browser.
    It could also be the ads. Happened to me before I got Firefox's ad blocker.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    It could also be the ads. Happened to me before I got Firefox's ad blocker.
    I may look into that, thanks.

I mainly still use IE; I don't know why; just do.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Ads, prize wheels and crap.

I may look into that, thanks.

I mainly still use IE; I don't know why; just do.
    That may be the problem there. Seriously, I used IE for years, and Firefox is the way to go, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Seagorath View Post
    Ads, prize wheels and crap.
    I've gotten the same thing as recent as a few minutes ago.

Nick, some people are having trouble with those pesky redirect ads; some ads even pop up while commenting on a post, and I'm having a problem with scripts more on here than anywhere else.

Its also not only booting me off, but sometimes I have to type one letter every few seconds and its very frustrating.

This is the pop up that got me right after this post:

https://installopensoftware.com/camp...10031&bid=7.00
    Last edited by McCourt; 09-29-2016 at 04:53 PM.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

I just got a redirect to one of those lame "this device could potentially get 17 viruses when you log in. Get our virus removal software now!" scam ads. Nope, I'll just close it (twice) and log in, thanks. I want to mention it here though jik it's dissuading members from logging in.

This area of the forum can be seen when not logged in, so if anyone's seeing this ad, no worries. It's scare tactic of device identification, is just that. Just close it until Nick has time to remove it from the ad roster.

Life goes on.

Haven't had any problems myself, but some members have indeed stopped coming around because of the ads.

Folks, Firefox has adBlock for free and Chrome for a one-time donation. I have Chrome because Firefox got to be a pain in the butt. It has just blocked 4 ads from this page.
    Last edited by cindyt; 04-29-2017 at 02:44 PM.

I have that too, but this was a tenacious pop-under that appeared before logging in. Scripts have been created recently that allow pop-unders in these circumstances. Nick asked us awhile back not to use pop-up blockers because ads generate revenue for the site. However, he wasn't referring to that type, so I'll be using mine again for now. I can still easily see or close the ads on the main page with the click of one arrow on the left side. None of those are an issue. In fact, none of the ads, other than the one I mention today, have ever been a problem. Linux has built-in neener neener protection like that.

Life goes on.

Mine is set for "non intrusive" ads.

Mmm Hmm.

Please take a look into the ad rotation when you have time, Nick.

Life goes on.

Nick, by "non intrusive," I mean it's checked to allow those, but not the intrusive.

It's gone. Thanks Nick!

Life goes on.