Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ad Issues

That's happened to me too, Miho. Plus I see ads here about singles in Swanee, which is 10 miles from my city. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    That's happened to me too, Miho. Plus I see ads here about singles in Swanee, which is 10 miles from my city. Lol.

Ok then I am not the only one *L* I feel much better now. It actually is kinda cool (though still creepy) it tailors the ads to me. Much better than having ads about things I don't care about.

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    In a way. Ad companies serve offers based on your recent activity and things you have "liked." Google and Facebook pretty much exist to find out what you like so they can target ads at you.

When I was looking for plane tickets to L.A., I went to Travelocity, Orbitz, and all the other large sites of that type. For a few days, half the ads on every site I went to were for Virgin Airways tickets to Los Angeles and similar offers. It was very specifically targeted advertising.

Cool thanks Nick. I kinda like that idea. This way you can actually see ads that have things that interest you in them.

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Get my smokey on? Uh...I gots a headache.
    I can't help but giggle when I see this ad. Makes me think of all sorts of illegal things...
    There are only four questions of value in life, Don Octavio. What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same: only love. ~ Don Juan De Marco

One night this week the ads were color coded to my profile. Spooookeeee. Lol.

I'm going to be experimenting with the banners for the next three days, so things might look off.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'm going to be experimenting with the banners for the next three days, so things might look off.
    I noticed. Haha. I like it at the bottom of the page.

They're not competing with Scott at the top of the page anymore - yay!

Life goes on.

They'll be back tomorrow.

Nooooooooooo!

Life goes on.

LoL @

That Lady or Lamp banner.

Saw the Lady first

Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    LoL @

That Lady or Lamp banner.

Saw the Lady first
    I always see that too!

Life goes on.

I told my cousin in Front Royal, VA about this site. The banner ad got her. For Winchester, VA's channel 3 's "Good Morning Winchester"..showing a photo of anchors Cassie Behofist, Elyse Coulter beside PATSY CLINE all in front of the ABC-TV logo.

Can we say "...Crazy......."

Quote Originally Posted by choff View Post
    I told my cousin in Front Royal, VA about this site. The banner ad got her. For Winchester, VA's channel 3 's "Good Morning Winchester"..showing a photo of anchors Cassie Behofist, Elyse Coulter beside PATSY CLINE all in front of the ABC-TV logo.

Can we say "...Crazy......."
    Or we could say "Welcome to WFAD!"

Life goes on.

I certainly like the ads for the companies I know rather then those creepy generic ones. I noticed the Zales ad right off, and right now I see a tracfone ad. Much much better!
    There are only four questions of value in life, Don Octavio. What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same: only love. ~ Don Juan De Marco

Quote Originally Posted by Pryncis View Post
    I certainly like the ads for the companies I know rather then those creepy generic ones. I noticed the Zales ad right off, and right now I see a tracfone ad. Much much better!
    I know what you mean. I'm finally getting normal ones too. Stuff like State Farm homeowners insurance, Progressive auto insurance and Expedia.com travel thingies.

Life goes on.

I don't know what is going on in the Chastity Bono thread. I opened it and 2 different audio things started at once. As soon as I left the thread it stopped. I couldn't see any video playing or anything. Anyone else have this problem in that thread? Mods? Do you know anything about this?

edied to add: I just went into that thread again and it didn't happen. That was really weird though. I don't have any other tabs open and it started when I opened that thread and ended when I closed it. I'm not sure what happened.
    Last edited by atomicbettie; 09-16-2011 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    I don't know what is going on in the Chastity Bono thread. I opened it and 2 different audio things started at once. As soon as I left the thread it stopped. I couldn't see any video playing or anything. Anyone else have this problem in that thread? Mods? Do you know anything about this?

edied to add: I just went into that thread again and it didn't happen. That was really weird though. I don't have any other tabs open and it started when I opened that thread and ended when I closed it. I'm not sure what happened.
    I just tried it - reloaded the page and skipped around through the thread a few times - and none of what you describe happened to me. This could be because ads appear to be cookie/location specific.

If it happens again, please note here which ad was showing at the time.

Meanwhile, I'm going to leave my speakers on while cruising the forum today, to see if it happens to me anywhere on the forum.

Life goes on.

Just a note to say that so far I've not been able to reproduce Bettie's issue, anywhere on the forum. Now I gots to run.

Life goes on.

I paid off the credit cards not too long ago. Tonight I've start getting ads for credit cards and dating sites here. No thank you and no thank you.

Life goes on.

I think some of us get different ad's based on area.

I hate the ads

Period

How come there are no banners on this thread?
    Those are my principles.If you don't like them,I have others.

-Groucho Marx-

I'm seeing a Mercury banner right now.

Well, I guess I'm the only dumbass who fell for a banner that WASN'T at the top, and I thought it was an actual FAD message. Some chick named Michelle who had supposedly made "a friend request" who *also* just happened to have "two other friends on the board." I haven't been able to check in for a few weeks, thought it was a new board feature, so I clicked it. D'OH!!! Dammit!

The only other thing I can add is, after reading this thread, I'm very glad I've never used speakers or headphones while surfing FAD
    <a href=http://www.findadeath.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1268&dateline=1407686900 target=_blank>http://www.findadeath.com/forum/imag...ine=1407686900</a>

The only other thing I can add is, after reading this thread, I'm very glad I've never used speakers or headphones while surfing FAD
    I do and have never had a sound issue here. I think that may be because I use Linux though which doesn't run Windows executable files just because it encounters them. Nor have I ever received a browser prompt or error saying that a .exe file failed to run, which is what would happen in that case.

Life goes on.

Over yonder *directional point to accompany*
    I just got one of the congrats your a winner ads. Unfortunately I didn't turn my sound down from watching a video clip and it scared the fruit loops outta me. My speakers were on a volume of 27/100 and it was LOUD. Is there a volume setting on the ads or is it solely based on the volume on your comp.?

When platform shoes would do a world of good.

Quote Originally Posted by tuesdays_jupiter View Post
    I just got one of the congrats your a winner ads. Unfortunately I didn't turn my sound down from watching a video clip and it scared the fruit loops outta me. My speakers were on a volume of 27/100 and it was LOUD. Is there a volume setting on the ads or is it solely based on the volume on your comp.?
    The next time that happens, try mousing over the ad and turning your volume up and down to see.

Life goes on.

Over yonder *directional point to accompany*
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    The next time that happens, try mousing over the ad and turning your volume up and down to see.
    Thanks, I will do that and report back what I find out!

When platform shoes would do a world of good.

I find it amusing that I get ads for places I frequently visit. ie. Hot Topic, ModCloth, etc
    "Push the sadness from your heart. There's no living in the dark. Why the things we do." -- Jimmy Buffett

My Hair Dying Blog

There is a banner in the middle and one on the side of threads.

As of today I'm getting banners in the middle of threads. Actually in the post. And yes it
    just happens to be places I go to like Overstock. Kinda irritating. Oh well.

That's common ad placement on other forums. Trying to getchoo to look at 'em, don'tchaknow.

Life goes on.

Yeah I too am getting ads everywhere and some of them are freezing up my computer.

There should only be one banner under the topmost post when you load a page and one banner to the right side of the last post on the page. There aren't any ads running currently for members on any of the index pages, visitor profiles, etc. There shouldn't be any lock-ups, since they are being served last. If you do notice any problems from here on, post about it here or send me a PM. Please include any information that might be relevant, like which browser you're using, which page you were on, and what specifically happened.

The animated ads that appear to the right of the very last post in each thread slow my mozilla down to nothing, and I can't open any links or click any of the reply buttons (multi quote etc) in those threads.
    You can't "nu uh" death. That's bad debating.

As soon as that happens, hit Ctrl+F5 and try again. (Only this one time.) Is the problem still there?

Worked! Thanks Nick!
    You can't "nu uh" death. That's bad debating.

Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    Yeah I too am getting ads everywhere and some of them are freezing up my computer.
    That happened to me last night. Well, actually, my top and bottom screen task bars were clickable but links on the forum would not work. Weird.

Thanks Nick. It was probably my computer.

Yeah, that's what I thought until you mentioned it, Miho. Mine used to lock up all the time but only about once since I bought the new tower. Sooooo.

The reason I suggested pushing Ctrl+5 is that I had ads straight on the page at first, but I later changed it to having them pulled in via an inline frame. They shouldn't impact anything loading on the page while in the frame.

I sandboxed those muthas.

The ads just above the reply window cause my Android browser to lose text focus as they load, throwing the reply window all out of whack. What happens is, while they load and once they do, they take up the reply space that is normally reserved for the top half of my screen (the bottom half is taken by my on-screen keyboard). This makes replying to threads a bitch. The only way I've found to get the text focus back where it belongs is to turn the phone sideways so that some area around the reply window will appear, touch that to change the browser's text focus, turn the phone back to horizontal so I can type again, tap the reply window and then use the arrow keys to go to where I left off replying. This will continue to happen randomly in the reply, so I usually have to do all this a few times per reply. And it appears to be caused by animated ads. Multi-quoting and then replying in the post reply window does not solve the problem because of the animated ads loading in the background. Can anything be done about this such as requesting ads that aren't animated? Or is that something Android users will have to live with until the day comes when there is a mobile version where such designations can be made?
    Last edited by SomeChick; 10-27-2011 at 03:04 PM.

Life goes on.

You can use the mobile skin to address those issues. There's an app coming that will allow more functionality, but this one should work okay.

I made some phone calls and have ti wait a few minutes before I can make the last one, so I decided to come back and goof around here in the meantime. When I did, I used my phone's usual bookmark but now get what appears to be a mobile (or light version as there is no usual m in the address which normally designates a) version of the forum. At the bottom of the page there's also an option to revert to the full version of the forum. Coolness, thanks Nick. The text focus issue while using this version's reply window also appears to be resolved.

You know what's funny with this version? Everyone's avatar is showing but yours, lol.

Hey, you're right. Ha.

I also see that there is no edit button within posts in this version. But that should be easily remidied by reverting to the full version to edit and then switching back to this one, using the link at the bottom of the page. Or is there a way to do it in this version and I just haven't found it yet?

Also, I really like the vbulletin menu next to the search option at the top of the page. The way it's sorted makes it easy to quickly see if I have any notifications and quickly get to where I want to go.

There is a banner in the middle and one on the side of threads.
    I have been getting these too.
    "Push the sadness from your heart. There's no living in the dark. Why the things we do." -- Jimmy Buffett

My Hair Dying Blog

Quote Originally Posted by intothelight View Post
    I have been getting these too.
    That's the way the adds are currently set up.