Thread: Phoebe Snow

TheMysterian Guest

Phoebe Snow

From Yahoo News. Not only an unforgettable singer, but a loving mom to her late daughter. I'm listening to "Poetry Man" now. Rest in Peace, lovely lady!:

NEW YORK â?? Phoebe Snow, a bluesy singer, guitarist and songwriter whose "Poetry Man" was a defining hit of the 1970s but who then largely dropped out of the spotlight to care for her disabled daughter, has died.
    Snow, who was nominated for best new artist at the 1975 Grammys, died Tuesday morning in Edison, N.J., from complications of a brain hemorrhage she suffered in January 2010, said Rick Miramontez, her longtime friend and public relations representative. She was 58.
    Snow's manager, Sue Cameron, said the singer endured bouts of blood clots, pneumonia and congestive heart failure since her stroke.
    "The loss of this unique and untouchable voice is incalculable," Cameron said. "Phoebe was one of the brightest, funniest and most talented singer-songwriters of all time and, more importantly, a magnificent mother to her late brain-damaged daughter, Valerie, for 31 years. Phoebe felt that was her greatest accomplishment."

I only knew her one song...RIP

havoc Guest
    Never Letting Go.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKofy...ure=grec_index

I grew up listening to Phoebe Snow.

PurrPurr Guest
    *sigh* Another part of my early adolescence gone. RIP Phoebe.

So young. Sounds like she and her daughter never caught a break healthwise.

How very sad. She had a great voice, very unique. I never knew why she kind of disappeared from the music scene. This is really heartbreaking about her and her daughter, but I really admire that she did what she needed to do to take care of her child. RIP Phoebe.
    Cindy

That is heartbreaking. I wasn't familiar with her music but I believe she performed at Howard Stern's wedding a few years ago. RIP

Noreen Guest
    Sad. Not a big fan, but I truly can appreciate her voice. I didn't know about her daughter. Rest well, Phoebe.

In a Sea of Sorrow Guest
    What a lovely voice she had! RIP Ms. Snow.

DonnaMc Guest
    RIP Phoebe Snow.

Forever-27 Guest
    As a kid ny dad being the ass he is/was forced me to go camping with my cousins and uncles in the mid 1970s. Wed all sit at the picnic table and id play penny poker with my uncle john who'd have his battery power transistor radio always on next to the lantern.I remember this one song by ms snow playing on that tiny am radio as wed all play poker. He'd smoke and drink as the radio played. Poetry man is the only song of hers I remember.

RIP Phoebe

What an astounding singer. RIP my dear
    I cried for shoes .... til I met a man with no feet.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sam Guest
    I never cared for her music, but it's sad that she died. RIP

Reecy Guest
    They play her song to death on the radio.

RIP Phoebe.

Giada Guest
    Loving mother ...

Linda Rondstadt encouraged her to continue writing and singing after her daughter's death.

Safe Journey ....

Hippo Guest
    The idea of a loving mother caring for a disabled daughter after her husband leaves hits very close to home. What a brave lady.

walts_loving_wife Guest
    Saw the story on CBS Sunday Morning today. What an amazing love story she had with her daughter. RIP Phoebe.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMysterian View Post
    Her haunting rendition of "Birmingham Sunday" on the documentary "Four Little Girls" is how I remember Ms Snow.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

mstee2u1972 Guest
    Phoebe sang the opening theme song for the first season of the Cosby Show spinoff "A Different World." What a unique voice! RIP Ms. Snow

this made my gf cry. she loved her and created a love cd with her songs on it for me. i was sad too. she was awesome!!

RogerV Guest
    She stole (or maybe "borrowed") her professional name from a fictional character (Phoebe Snow) used in advertising for the Erie Lackawana Railroad, sort of like Betty Crocker. She was usually pictured wearing a white dress or outfit.

The only blurb I can remember at the moment is "My gown stays white both day and night upon the road of anthricite." A little background here: In the days when almost all locomotives burned coal, train passengers could get filthy, especially during warm weather and the train windows had to be opened for some fresh air. What the little jingle means is that the railroad she's praising burned anthricite (hard) coal, which was much, much cleaner than the soft coal used by most railroads.
    Last edited by RogerV; 05-05-2011 at 03:30 PM. Reason: to correct a mistake

Wow, I hadn't heard this. I remember Poetry Man very well. RIP Phoebe.

Tebssis Guest
    Wow, I'm just hearing this now too. I really wasn't a big fan, but had a decent appreciation of her talent. Guess she and her daughter are reunited. RIP Phoebe. You were a wonderful person while you were here on earth.

deanfan Guest
    Guess I missed this one. I still enjoy "Poetry Man". I believe she also sang some commercial jingles.

Jazbabee Guest
    I missed this too, but I believe she also built a areer doing commercials and background work

qulevergrrl Guest
    It's a great song. I just love the whole Brill Building, post writing for everyone else, sound. The time when the writers all seemed to break out on their own and just start doing the whole singer/wongwriter bit. Love it.

The Lucky One Guest
    R.I.P. She seemed like such a wonderful woman!

One of my friends just learned of her death today and thought she died today. Apparently there is some google weirdness causing this. Sadly no, it was a few years ago. Figured I'd go ahead and bump this jik the weirdness makes it's way to deathbeeper or more news sites.