Thread: Louis B. Mayer

Louis B. Mayer

Louis Burt Mayer (born Eliezer Meir 1882[1] â?? October 29, 1957) was an early film producer, most famous for his stewardship and co-founding of the Hollywood film studio Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer.
    He is generally cited as the creator of the "star system" within Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM) in its golden years. Known always as Louis B. Mayer (pronounced Louie) and often simply as "L.B.", he believed in "wholesome entertainment" and went to great lengths to collect "more stars than in the heavens"..
    Louis B. Mayer died of kidney failure on October 29, 1957 and was interred in the Home of Peace Cemetery in East Los Angeles, California. His last words (reportedly) were, "Nothing matters."

Kathyf Guest
    He was a piece of work!

Jaxxx Guest
    L.B. loved his quote about Jean Harlow, and the religious nuts, I have to deal with these people, they think they can see Harlow's breast through her clothes, What do they think she has, bottle caps?

MIZIZVOGUE Guest
    Remember the movie Mommie Dearest? He seemed like a royal ass to Joan Crawford.

Jaxxx Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MIZIZVOGUE View Post
    Remember the movie Mommie Dearest? He seemed like a royal ass to Joan Crawford.
    It wasn't personal, it was just business.

Kathyf Guest
    I think he was an ASS in those days they ran the town along with Hedda and Louella who wrote and left out what they wanted.

Catherine of Siena Guest
    Apparently LB was Judy Garland's best friend at MGM. When she would 'act-up' and incur the rage of producers, LB would step up to bat for her. After about 1949, when LB was replaced by the evil devil Dore Schare, Judy lost her best supporter and when she acted up again, Schare simply gave her the boot!

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxxx View Post
    It wasn't personal, it was just business.
    "You're like a diamond. Class!"

"You're Hollywood royalty."

Or when she's at Perino's and he makes her eat dinner with him and the bankers and the banker's daughter wants Joan's autograph, not LB's. And LB says, "you're aces, Joanie." And she responds, "I'm glad you think that, LB, because aces beat kings." She had referred to him as "the king" when she sat down earlier. Then, he says, "Not in Hollywood, dear." Then she shoots the guy playing "Uncle" Greg a dirty look and the scene goes to her screaming drunk at the house and then "Uncle" Greg walks out on her and she tells him, "If you walk out that door, I'll never let you back in, no matter what you say, ask, or do." He leaves anyway and she and Carol Ann the maid then take scissors and cut "Uncle" Greg out of all the photos in the house. Little Tina, Mara Hobel, then picks up a severed head of "Uncle" Greg and delivers this immortal bon mot, "If she doesn't like you, she can make you disappear."

If I can even get ONE person in my life to say that line about me, I can die a happy person.
    Last edited by FloridaDeathHag; 11-26-2007 at 01:45 PM.

MorbidMolly Guest
    He was some piece of work alright.....it boggles my mind how the studios were run back then....but boy, I`d take those stars over todays, anytime

Kathyf Guest
    I agree it was great in those days!

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MorbidMolly View Post
    He was some piece of work alright.....it boggles my mind how the studios were run back then....but boy, I`d take those stars over todays, anytime
    Yes, if you remember Mommie Dearest, the first scene where she's scrubbing her face with a Brillo pad at 4 am and soaking it in vodka and ice, etc. On the audio commentary on the DVD, Jon Waters actually says that was common then, that those stars were 100% professional and never showed up late or looking anything less than their very best, no matter how early they had to get up. He says, "Today, these kids show up late, still drunk, with pillow marks on their faces." I think he speaks the truth!

He was also known for his famous chicken noodle soup, it kept his stars very energized. Main ingrediant? You guess it