Thread: Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Hall of Fame Major League Baseball Player, American Legend. He was a charter member to the Hall of Fame. He hit 60 Homers, still the record for a 154-game season. Ruth began his major -league career with the Boston Red Sox in 1915-as a pitcher. In 1919, pitcher-outfielder Ruth hit 29 homeruns. In 1920, he was now a full time outfielder with the New York Yankees. His hitting with a heavy 52-ounce bat produced homeruns at a record pace. From 54 in his first Yankee season in 1921 to the record 60 homers in 1927. Popular belief that Babe Ruth was an orphan is not true. Ruth was born in the Camden Yards section of Baltimore, Maryland. The site today is occupied by the new ballpark of the Oriole's, "Camden Yards". At the age of 7, he was literally given away to St. Mary's Industrial School for Boys and his custody was signed over to the operators of the facility The Xaverian Brothers, a Catholic Order of Jesuits. The reason given was his extreme incorrigible behavior. In 1946, he was diagnosed with throat cancer. Surgery & radiation treatments proved ineffective. He lost his battle for life. For two days his body lay in state at the main entrance to Yankee Stadium. Hundred's of thousands of people stood in line to pay their last respects. Ruth's funeral was conducted at St. Patrick's Cathedral in Manhattan. He was then transported to Hawthorne and was interred at Gate of Heaven Cemetery. His second wife, Clair was buried next to him upon her death in 1976. Arguably he saved baseball from the scandal in 1919 when the White Sox threw the world series.

Possibly one of my favorite quotes came from Ty Cobb. Cobb had a long standing hatred for Ruth, couldn't stand the long ball approach. Players should be playing the style that was popularized during the dead ball era. When asked to say something nice about Ruth, Cobb thought for a while and said "Well, he ran pretty well for a big guy."

The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

RoRo Guest
    a true legend!!

MorbidMolly Guest
    What truly chaps my ass, is the players that have broken his and Hank`s records, but have done it because of roids....these guys did it with raw talent.....and the Babe could do it hung-over...

disco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MorbidMolly View Post
    What truly chaps my ass, is the players that have broken his and Hank`s records, but have done it because of roids....these guys did it with raw talent.....and the Babe could do it hung-over...
    Well said lad.

good point molly! john goodman played the part of the babe with perfection! love that movie.

Harry in Connecticut Guest
    Yes indeed. A regular Joe with a gut made of hotdogs and beer.

We'll forget the record holders of today, but The Babe is immortal.

It chaps my hide when people compare Ruth and Bonds. In my eyes there is no comparision. Ill take a womanizing drinker over a cheating roid freak any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry in Connecticut View Post
    Yes indeed. A regular Joe with a gut made of hotdogs and beer.

We'll forget the record holders of today, but The Babe is immortal.
    Fully agree. A few years ago Jeff Kent made a stupid comment that how could we know that Babe Ruth didn't do roids...Jim Rome had a stunning rebuke.
    Favorite quote on the Ruth training regimen-which I am paraphrasing from memory- was on Jim Rome's show regarding the Babe and Jeff Kent's alleging a couple years ago during the first real roids brouhaha that he (Kent) 'wasn't sure' that the Babe wasn't on roids back in the day. Jim Rome's rant was spot on: 'Yeah, the Babe was on Steroids back in 1927 when he set that record. I'm sure there was a real call back then for roid masking agents for him and Lou. I tell you what the Babe was on and it wasn't steroids. The Babe was on T-bone Steak, the Babe was on Beer, and the Babe was on the cute redhead...he sure as heck wasn't on roids.'

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    Fully agree. A few years ago Jeff Kent made a stupid comment that how could we know that Babe Ruth didn't do roids...Jim Rome had a stunning rebuke.
    Favorite quote on the Ruth training regimen-which I am paraphrasing from memory- was on Jim Rome's show regarding the Babe and Jeff Kent's alleging a couple years ago during the first real roids brouhaha that he (Kent) 'wasn't sure' that the Babe wasn't on roids back in the day. Jim Rome's rant was spot on: 'Yeah, the Babe was on Steroids back in 1927 when he set that record. I'm sure there was a real call back then for roid masking agents for him and Lou. I tell you what the Babe was on and it wasn't steroids. The Babe was on T-bone Steak, the Babe was on Beer, and the Babe was on the cute redhead...he sure as heck wasn't on roids.'
    Dude that's awesome. How could Kent be such a idiot.

i did not realize what a big deal the babe was at the time. he was already a celebrity selling war bonds for ww1 when still with the sox.
    i do not think it an exageration to say he was as popular as michael jordan and elvis at the same time. there was less to compete for the spotlight,and the adjective "Ruthian" is still used by sports writers.

the babe did not get fat till the end.look at team photos and he towers over his teammates. he even had cheek bones at one time. ty was right,he was fast for a big guy. there are newsreels of babe training with jack dempsey.

i don't think it is fair to compare babe to modern athletes,but in his era,he compares with bronco nagurski and jim thorpe.
    Last edited by midnitelamp; 11-13-2007 at 12:26 PM.

here is Babe's farewell speech to baseball on April 27/1947. He was very sick. Ruth had a cancerous tumor located behind his nose which is very rare. note - Ruth was one of the first to try chemotherapy and radiation to fight cancer. He was a guinea pig in a sense. In the end it didn't help - he died aug 16/48.

http://americanrhetoric.com/speeches/baberuthfarewelltobaseball.htm
    Last edited by cash; 05-19-2008 at 02:11 PM.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    here is Babe's farewell speech to baseball on April 27/1947. He was very sick. Ruth had a cancerous tumor located behind his nose which is very rare. All of note - Ruth was one of the first to try chemotherapy and radiation to fight cancer. He was a guinea pig in a sense. In the end it didn't help - he died aug 16/48.

http://americanrhetoric.com/speeches...tobaseball.htm
    Thanks for that.

I always thought he was a great person at heart, even with the drinking and the womanizing in his earlier years. He raised his children and was very happy with his second wife.

Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    Thanks for that.

I always thought he was a great person at heart, even with the drinking and the womanizing in his earlier years. He raised his children and was very happy with his second wife.
    a newsreel on his speech and death. note Gov. Dewey who was suppose to be Pres. in 1948 except he didn't win the election.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20glDlJIcC4&feature=related
    Last edited by cash; 05-19-2008 at 02:19 PM.

GrinReaper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by xoxojessicaxoxo View Post
    good point molly! john goodman played the part of the babe with perfection! love that movie.
    Yeah I watched all of it for the first time last night.
    I wonder how true to life that movie was.
    Which parts were real and which ones were made up?

MorbidChrissy Guest
    What a legend. Babe, the Sultan of Swat, the Bambino. He's from my favorite baseball team. I can't even imagine what it would've been like if he wasn't traded from the Red Sox to the New York Yankees.

I found it funny how he never learned his teammates real names
    so he gave them all nicknames.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

DJ's_Hub-Hag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by xoxojessicaxoxo View Post
    I liked the movie too. John Goodman portrayed Babe Ruth so well. The movie was good in that I learned a lot about this man's life. I must admit I liked the cigar smoking in the movie too. I ldo like men that enjoy cigars in life!