Thread: F. Scott Fitzgerald

F. Scott Fitzgerald

1443 N. Hayworth Ave., West Hollywood: the apartment house where author F. Scott Fitzgerald died in 1940. He actually lived nearby at 1403 North Laurel Ave., but when he began suffering heart problems (shortly before his death), he was unable to climb the stairs to his second-floor apartment, so he moved into this first-floor apartment of his lover, Sheila Graham. He was working on "The Last Tycoon" when he died here.
    The story of his latter life was made into a film titled "Beloved Infidel", starring Gregory Peck as Fitzgerald and Deborah Kerr as Sheila Graham. The movie ends with his death in this apartment. Quite a few of Fitzgerald's great novels were adapted for the big screen, including "The Great Gatsby," (twice, once with Robert Redford and earlier with Warner Baxter), "Tender Is The Night" (with Jennifer Jones & Jason Robards) and his unfinished "The Last Tycoon" (with Robert DeNiro).
    Last edited by Serendipity09; 07-23-2009 at 01:19 AM.

The F. Scott Fitzgerald House, also known as Summit Terrace, in Saint Paul, Minnesota is part of a rowhouse designed by William H. Willcox and Clarence H. Johnston, Sr.. The house, at 599 Summit Avenue, is listed as a National Historic Landmark for its association with author F. Scott Fitzgerald. The design of the rowhouse was called the "New York Style", where each unit was given a distinctive character similar to rowhouses in eastern cities. Architecture critic Larry Millett describes it as, "A brownstone row house that leaves no Victorian style unaccounted for, although the general flavor is Romanesque Revival."
    Fitzgerald's parents, Edward and Mollie, moved to Minnesota in 1914 while F. Scott Fitzgerald was a student at Princeton University. They lived in the unit at 593 Summit Avenue for a while, then moved to the 599 Summit Avenue unit in 1918. In July and August of 1919, Fitzgerald rewrote the manuscript that became his first novel, This Side of Paradise.
    It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1971.
    Last edited by Serendipity09; 07-23-2009 at 01:19 AM.

sbarger Guest

a newbie has some info

I'm new to the group, and find the site fascinating. I was reading the F. Scott Fitzgerald page and know some trivia and can offer some pics of where Fitzgerald trained for the army during WW1. (then and now).

I'll deal with the profile later.

My best to you all.

Whatcha waiting for - post! Post! On the Fitzgerald thread, of course...

And Welcome! Pull up a chair and sit a spell.
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

Welcome! Glad you showed up. I'd love to see those pics of FSF.

More Cheese Please Guest

Zelda. What a horrible death she had.

More Cheese Please Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lulubaines View Post
    Here's a tribute to Zelda that also showcases a lot of her art work...

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=3nLfGgX0ZQM

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=AYVGjz07qhg

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity09 View Post
    The F. Scott Fitzgerald House, also known as Summit Terrace, in Saint Paul, Minnesota is part of a rowhouse designed by William H. Willcox and Clarence H. Johnston, Sr.. The house, at 599 Summit Avenue, is listed as a National Historic Landmark for its association with author F. Scott Fitzgerald. The design of the rowhouse was called the "New York Style", where each unit was given a distinctive character similar to rowhouses in eastern cities. Architecture critic Larry Millett describes it as, "A brownstone row house that leaves no Victorian style unaccounted for, although the general flavor is Romanesque Revival."
    Fitzgerald's parents, Edward and Mollie, moved to Minnesota in 1914 while F. Scott Fitzgerald was a student at Princeton University. They lived in the unit at 593 Summit Avenue for a while, then moved to the 599 Summit Avenue unit in 1918. In July and August of 1919, Fitzgerald rewrote the manuscript that became his first novel, This Side of Paradise.
    Oh yea, he is big business here in my hometown of Saint Paul. We also have a theatre named after him. It's where "A Prarie Home Companion" was filmed with Lindsey Whorehan and Meryl Streep among others a few years ago. Here is the link. It's right downtown.

http://fitzgeraldtheater.publicradio.org/

sbarger Guest

Fitzgerald slept here

After being somewhat disillusioned with working in academia, Fitzgerald enlisted in the army, he was trained at Camp Taylor, where he edited some of the work that was later to become "This Side Of Paradise". Here is a shot of Camp Taylor then. I'll get some now photos soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camp_taylor_panorama.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	288.1 KB 
ID:	4228  

Whatever happened to their daughter Scotti?

Quote Originally Posted by lulubaines View Post
    In June 1930 Zelda Sayre Fitzgerald suffered her first mental breakdown; soon afterwards, she was diagnosed with schizophrenia and was required to live from then on in a mental hospital. She died at the age of 47 in a fire at the Highland Mental Hospital in Asheville, North Carolina. Eight other patients were also killed.

The grave of F. Scott Fitzgerald and Zelda Fitzgerald in St. Mary's Catholic Cemetery in Rockville, Maryland. The quote is the final line of The Great Gatsby.
    Last edited by Serendipity09; 07-23-2009 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by baroque1 View Post
    Whatever happened to their daughter Scotti?
    Frances Scott "Scottie" Fitzgerald (October 26, 1921 - June 18, 1986) was the only child of Zelda Sayre Fitzgerald and novelist F. Scott Fitzgerald. She was a writer, journalist, and a prominent member of the United States Democratic Party.
    "Scottie" was born in Saint Paul, Minnesota. She had four children with her first husband, Samuel Jackson Lanahan. She later married Grove Smith. Both men were lawyers, and both marriages ended in divorce.

taken from Wiki

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    there are some cool tributes to Zelda on youtube-just checked them out

cherryghost Guest
    Zelda was a talented woman too, perhaps that was difficult, scott having such a profile but I love that time and their exuberence and youthful creativity!
    Zeldas death has always been haunting for many women I know as there is a sense of abandonment and the fact she died in a fire in a sanitarium when she should have been there for security and healing is so sad.
    Last edited by cherryghost; 03-09-2008 at 05:20 AM.

Lucy Furr Guest
    Beautiful photos guys!

Lucy Furr Guest
    Oh man, what a lovely home...I wonder what it looks like inside.

The 8th House Guest
    The story of his latter life was made into a film titled "Beloved Infidel", starring Gregory Peck as Fitzgerald and Deborah Kerr as Sheila Graham. The movie ends with his death in this apartment. Quite a few of Fitzgerald's great novels were adapted for the big screen, including "The Great Gatsby," (twice, once with Robert Redford and earlier with Warner Baxter), "Tender Is The Night" (with Jennifer Jones & Jason Robards) and his unfinished "The Last Tycoon" (with Robert DeNiro).
    Hi! I'm new here but I've enjoyed reading all of your posts for a long time. F. Scott Fitzgerald is my favorite author and my favorite novel is "The Great Gatsby." My dog is even named Daisy after Daisy Buchanan. I just wanted to add that there were actually three movies made of "The Great Gatsby." The first was a silent film (the Warner Baxter one, I believe) and I don't think there are any surviving copies of it. The second had Alan Ladd playing Jay Gatsby and of course, the third featured Robert Redford in the lead role.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Furr View Post
    Oh man, what a lovely home...I wonder what it looks like inside.
    I have lived here my whole life (other than when I was in the military) and am ashamed to admit that I have never been inside the house. Summit Avenue in Saint Paul is the wealthiest area of the city. The homes on there are gigantic mansions. I mean 12-15 bedroom mansions. Beautiful.

Summit ave is also where our Gov's mansion is.

I could be persuaded to check out the inside, I wonder if they let you take pics? I'll check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by The 8th House View Post
    Hi! I'm new here but I've enjoyed reading all of your posts for a long time.
    THANK YOU KINDLY

F. Scott Fitzgerald is my favorite author and my favorite novel is "The Great Gatsby." My dog is even named Daisy after Daisy Buchanan. I just wanted to add that there were actually three movies made of "The Great Gatsby." The first was a silent film (the Warner Baxter one, I believe) and I don't think there are any surviving copies of it. The second had Alan Ladd playing Jay Gatsby and of course, the third featured Robert Redford in the lead role.
    The Great Gatsby
    (1926) American
    B&W : Eight reels / 7296 feet
    Directed by Herbert Brenon

Cast: Warner Baxter [Jay Gatsby], Lois Wilson [Daisy Buchanan], Neil Hamilton [Nick Carraway], Georgia Hale [Myrtle Wilson], William Powell [George Wilson], Hale Hamilton [Tom Buchanan], George Nash [Charles Wolf], Carmelita Geraghty [Jordan Baker], Eric Blore [Lord Digby], â??Gunboatâ?? Smith [Bert], Claire Whitney [Catherine]
    Famous Players-Lasky Corporation production; distributed by Paramount Pictures Corporation. / Produced by Herbert Brenon. Scenario by Becky Gardiner, from the adaptation by Elizabeth Meehan of the play adaptation The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald and Owen Davis of the novel The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Assistant director Ray Lissner. Cinematography by Leo Tover. Presented by Adolph Zukor and Jesse L. Lasky. 9 November 1926 by Famous Players-Lasky Corporation. 14 December 1926 by Famous Players-Lasky Corporation. Released 8 November 1926. / Standard 35mm spherical 1.37:1 format. / The production was shot at Paramountâ??s Astoria studios on Long Island, New York. Powellâ??s 19th film.
    Drama: Society.

Survival Status: The film is presumed lost.

The 8th House Guest
    Thanks for posting that info about the silent 1926 movie. It's a shame all copies appear to be lost. I forgot there was a 4th movie made of "The Great Gatsby." A&E made it for TV and Mira Sorvino played Daisy.

Thanks Serendipity

DOA Guest
    Hi everyone. New here. Anyway, I once checked out Fitzgerald's Hayworth apt from outside the window a few years ago. I'd swear it has an aura about it. Maybe it's because I know he died there. But I was able to see the mantle that he supposedly grabbed when he had his heart attack. Very interesting.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
    Zelda was a talented woman too, perhaps that was difficult, scott having such a profile but I love that time and their exuberence and youthful creativity!
    Zeldas death has always been haunting for many women I know as there is a sense of abandonment and the fact she died in a fire in a sanitarium when she should have been there for security and healing is so sad.
    The sanitarium was in Asheville, NC. Zelda and the other women were on a floor of the building that was a locked ward. I've read that the doors were locked at night. Unfortunately, the fire started during the night. The wind and flames, according to what I read somewhere online, made some stockings on a clothesline close to the building appear to dance in the breeze. Zelda was allegedly identified by some slippers she was wearing. Firefighters and some employees claimed to have heard the trapped women screaming. So, so tragic.

NOVSTORM Guest
    ZELDA FITZGERALD

Puts a whole new light on things for me.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post

According to the last artile I read she should not have even been in there.
    Her breaksdowns seem to have been from his control over her and she wanted a divorce. He would stop her from publishing books and paintings.
    That marraige wasn't a love story it was made for a daily soap opera lOL

undertaker Guest
    Saw the trailer for the new Fincher film " The Curious Case of Benjamin Button " based on a Fitzgerald story. Most interesting looking movie of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    According to the last artile I read she should not have even been in there.
    Her breaksdowns seem to have been from his control over her and she wanted a divorce. He would stop her from publishing books and paintings.
    That marraige wasn't a love story it was made for a daily soap opera lOL
    I've heard and read that Scott stole or borrowed, depending upon how you looked at it, story ideas from Zelda. Some of his most famous works may be hers. Yes, I also read that she didn't even belong in the sanitarium.

NOVSTORM Guest

Talking

To have talent like hers and to want to be able to write and paint and show her works off and not be able to must have been hell. To be under someones control like that?? Her drinking was wrong yet he was able to drink to excess because it helped him write LOLO Damn those Dbl standards are still in effect I would have been hell on wheels too.

I wish medical technology during Zelda's time was as advanced as it is today. It's hard to say what her official diagnosis would've been, but by today's standards, perhaps an SSRI, Ritalin, etc. would've helped her greatly.
    Treatment for depression, manic depression and other illnesses back then used some very strange and primitive methods. The poor woman had to live a large part of her life probably thinking that she was a raving lunatic.

DOA Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanwench View Post
    I've heard and read that Scott stole or borrowed, depending upon how you looked at it, story ideas from Zelda. Some of his most famous works may be hers. Yes, I also read that she didn't even belong in the sanitarium.
    I did, though, see a biography on Scott in which the grandaughter of Scottie Lanahan was told by Scottie herself that Zelda really was insane.

The illness also ran in Zelda's family, which from what I've read, and that Scott never knew about that when they married

But definitely, Tender Is The Night was directly from Zelda's psychiatric records, and in no-holds-barred did Scott reveal everything on the page. So in that way, yeah, his ideas were from Zelda.

cherryghost Guest
    Just finished The Great Gatsby! Fantastic!
    Its so contemporary and relevent even today! I loved it!

I guess Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchette would play the roles today in a remake! But why is it Hollywood only wants Box Office at the cost of authentic film making! Oh the bucks I guess !

I like Mia Farrow and Robert Redford but they were not exactly Jay and Daisy!

Cant help myself Ive just bought Tender is the Night!

fultondyke Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanwench View Post
    I am not saying that Zelda belonged in a sanitarium, but she did have some documented mental illness. I work in Montgomery (Zelda's hometown) and--while Zelda and Scott are both revered there--locals stil share the stories of Zelda walking down the streets of the Old Cloverdale section of time, dressed all in black. talking (LOUDLY) to herself, and gesticulating wildly.

I remember back in school we had to read his books.
    At the time wished to read Mad Magazine.
    Last edited by theotherlondon; 08-29-2009 at 06:30 PM.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.