Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Titanic

Bassetlover09 Guest
    Yes hubby and I just saw a commercial for a blue heart necklace made from coal salvaged from the wreck site. Just seems wrong to me.
    I read a theory about the port holes. Most all of them were open when Ballard first discovered her. It's said that is why she sank fairly as quick as she did...and it was mysterious as to why all of them were open. I guess people were curious and opened them up for a glance at the iceberg? So many mistakes but i guess it was fate. I also read about bribes for the lifeboats went on--that a wealthy Count had bribed certain officers for a lifeboat for he and his wife only.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassetlover09 View Post
    Yes hubby and I just saw a commercial for a blue heart necklace made from coal salvaged from the wreck site. Just seems wrong to me.
    I read a theory about the port holes. Most all of them were open when Ballard first discovered her. It's said that is why she sank fairly as quick as she did...and it was mysterious as to why all of them were open. I guess people were curious and opened them up for a glance at the iceberg? So many mistakes but i guess it was fate. I also read about bribes for the lifeboats went on--that a wealthy Count had bribed certain officers for a lifeboat for he and his wife only.
    Or people could have just simply opened a window way before- during the cruise; not necessarily when the iceberg hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    The coal from the wreck is the only thiing that be legally sold from the site. The US led this law and britian joined in. Its now against international law to sell any item other then coal to the public. Coal is coal, I never saw any worth to it
    oh ok. That makes sense. Interesting. Thanks!

I actually bought a small piece of coal from the ship about 15 years ago at one of the traveling exhibits. They've been doing that for a while now...

Bassetlover09 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pyt View Post
    Or people could have just simply opened a window way before- during the cruise; not necessarily when the iceberg hit.
    Well it was very cold out-I remember reading survivors stories of wanting to stay in their warm beds...since it was so cold out. Who knows. Alot of strange things we'll never know. Still interesting all the same isnt it?

Bidmor Guest
    Port hole windows open is due to multiply reasons, I'm thinking...a few were opened by people trying to grab a rope in panic, the pressure at those depths could have caused the latches to give way thus flinging them open, the slight warping of the hull during break-up could have compromised some latches, and shock of impact when the halves hit the ocean floor.

Conspiracy theories...the one I find far most interesting is the Titanic/Olympic theory...that's the one in which White Star re-badged the slightly older and slightly smaller Olympic which had hull and keel issues after one or two collisions with other ships. This was supposedly an insurance scam and White Star had a couple of ships nearby to rescue all passengers before the disguised Olympic sank as Titanic. Supposedly Murdoch was the only crew member who was in on the scheme and was not supposed to be aboard originally. There was some sort of snafu amongst the rescue ships regarding timing or something, thus the disastrous outcome. Naturally, under this theory, Titanic sailed for decades afterward under the name of Olympic. Entertaining stuff anyway.
    Last edited by Bidmor; 04-24-2012 at 04:37 PM.

No, it was because the water was able to breech the fwd bulkheads, and as that happened it accelerated the sinking. The volume of water going through the portholes was negligible when compared to the water coming in through the breach in the hull.

Quote Originally Posted by pyt View Post
    At those latitudes it would have been freezing cold, hence the iceberg, so I doubt they had them open.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    Port hole windows open is due to multiply reasons, I'm thinking...a few were opened by people trying to grab a rope in panic, the pressure at those depths could have caused the latches to give way thus flinging them open, the slight warping of the hull during break-up could have compromised some latches, and shock of impact when the halves hit the ocean floor.

Snip.
    To get technical, they are not referred to as 'port holes' but scuttles. There are two types, the general scuttle and the escape scuttle. The smaller ones are the general variety and are usually located in cabins and work spaces. They are usually about a foot (304.8mm) in diameter and you would not get a body through it. Escape scuttles are much larger in diameter and allow a body to egress in an emergency, but they contain no glass.

I like the idea that the pressure at depth would cause the latches to give way. However, a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. The glass would have popped long before the latches gave way.

I have no explanation other than people opening them post impact when the ship was going down thinking they could escape through them.
    Last edited by neilmpenny; 04-27-2012 at 08:26 PM.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Well it was very cold out-I remember reading survivors stories of wanting to stay in their warm beds...since it was so cold out. Who knows. Alot of strange things we'll never know. Still interesting all the same isnt it?
    Oh duh! lol.. that makes sense. Forgot the weather was more likely chili

TheMysterian Guest
    Australian billionaire: Titanic II to sail in 2016

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/news/world/a...#ixzz1tWGhHKGA

Quote Originally Posted by TheMysterian View Post
    Australian billionaire: Titanic II to sail in 2016

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/news/world/a...#ixzz1tWGhHKGA
    I would so love to sail aboard that ship, but since I always get seasick, I'd probably will be looking at a very luxurious toilet most of the trip
    Some compare Elvis to God.. I mean He is good, but He is no Elvis

Hez Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWrath of MadelineKahn View Post
    In 2010 hubby and I did the Pearl Harbor Tour, it was so moving.

Well except for the part where 69 years later morons take their pictures all over the deck while laughing, making faces, and gang signs.

No reason to control your kids either. It's not like it's the final resting place for 1,177 men or anything.

You are kidding???!!! I truly despair at people sometimes.

Back to the Titanic film I have been to see it twice now it's back on at the pics. I love the 3d and I saw it on the imax screen too which was amazing!! I think I'll try and get another viewing in before they take it off.

Australian billionaire to build Titanic replica...

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/30/world/...html?hpt=hp_t3

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Casper, I love you so much baby boy... waking up with you in the house is a blessing every day! Thank you for filling our home and hearts with so much love, joy, laughter and ever so sweet Sammy smiles! We belong together! XOXOX

What an odd thing to do.^^^ While I think it would be great to be able to walk through the replica and see what the original was like in reality, I also think the kharma police are likely to come a'callin'. They usually do when it comes to stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynful View Post
    Australian billionaire to build Titanic replica...

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/30/world/...html?hpt=hp_t3

Clive Palmer is full of shit. Enough said.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    Neil, I know nothing whatsover about this guy. Is he just a loud mouth blowhard?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Casper, I love you so much baby boy... waking up with you in the house is a blessing every day! Thank you for filling our home and hearts with so much love, joy, laughter and ever so sweet Sammy smiles! We belong together! XOXOX

Quote Originally Posted by Cynful View Post
    Neil, I know nothing whatsover about this guy. Is he just a loud mouth blowhard?
    Publicity whore. He is a genuine billionaire to be sure, but he likes attention.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bidmor Guest
    Publicity whore. He is a genuine billionaire to be sure, but he likes attention.
    So one might label Palmer the Aussie version of Donald Trump?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    So one might label Palmer the Aussie version of Donald Trump?
    To Trump's credit, at least he built something. Palmer made his money by investing in companies that dig up Iron ore and sell it to the Chinese to fuel their boom.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I guess we'll see.

A little background on ole Clive.

IT IS one of the oldest boom-boom jokes in the book. Q: What gets bigger, the more you take away? A: A hole. To a miner, it is boom, but no joke. Clive Palmer has spent a lifetime digging bigger holes, and enlarging his fortune, profile and girth. You might even think that Clive was trying to dig his way to China. Certainly, he has dug his way to one of the biggest piles in Australia. To Clive, the bottom of a pit is the top of the world.

This upside-down view might explain a few things. Latterly, Clive has been digging himself into what look like orthodox holes, the kind we know as pitfalls. There was the business with the Gold Coast United Soccer Club. Clive bought it, he said, to raise his profile in China. He ran it on a shoestring, with a minimum of full-time staff, and at one stage locked out fans to save on costs.

He picked the team, sacked the coach and confronted the Football Federation of Australia, meanwhile declaring: ''I don't even like the game. I think it's a hopeless game. Rugby league's much better.'' When the FFA stripped him of his licence, he declared that he would put chairman Frank Lowy in an institution, set up his own rival soccer body and took legal action. One of Clive's favourite digging, expanding implements is legal action. He is suing to get rid of the carbon tax and the so-called mining tax, and has actions against a hotel chain and QR National. He had claimed to be 68-0 in legal actions. ''We will fight them in court to a standstill,'' he said of the FFA. Apparently, there was a bit of a cave-in; now he is 68-1.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/pol...#ixzz1taJEPo2s
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fantastic article Neil....thank you! His company is called Mineralogy isn't it? Good grief, he wants his fingers in EVERYTHING.
    Last edited by Cynful; 04-30-2012 at 08:41 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lets all pile on the rich guy again. I don't doubt at least some of what is said here is true but I bet with a little digging, we can come up with a little more fairly balanced account of this guy. Maybe I'll volunteer to try.

Nobody's "piling on the rich guy". HE PUT himself out there AGAIN, this time regarding his Titanic II idea. From all I have read about him, he's pretty impressed with himself and likes to make it known. No light bulb moment here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Paulination View Post
    Lets all pile on the rich guy again. I don't doubt at least some of what is said here is true but I bet with a little digging, we can come up with a little more fairly balanced account of this guy. Maybe I'll volunteer to try.
    Pauli, Firstly, I am a fellow Australian, and secondly, you should know better than to think I dump shit on people because they are rich. Given half a chance, I would be more than happy to be a billionaire. I am a confessed capitalist.

I wish you good luck in your search.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I wonder how many jobs will be sustained in the construction? The original was over 3000 but automation will knock that down a bit.

Pauli, Firstly, I am a fellow Australian, and secondly, you should know better than to think I dump shit on people because they are rich.
    I admit you are generally fair. Just threw that original coment out there to get it in before it snowballed

Quote Originally Posted by Paulination View Post
    I wonder how many jobs will be sustained in the construction? The original was over 3000 but automation will knock that down a bit.
    The other question is where to build it. Australia doesn't do ships that well. The workmanship is generally ok, but the cost always blows out and they run way over time. We don't seem to be able to integrate technology into the build either. We had a go at building our own subs and that was a disaster. So much so that a defense force committee recommended that the next round of subs be one already operated by an overseas navy and we build under license.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The other question is where to build it. Australia doesn't do ships that well. The workmanship is generally ok, but the cost always blows out and they run way over time. We don't seem to be able to integrate technology into the build either. We had a go at building our own subs and that was a disaster. So much so that a defense force committee recommended that the next round of subs be one already operated by an overseas navy and we build under license.
    Looks like Clive has chosen (at least at this early stage), a Chinese outfit:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...nese-yard.html
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I was just gonna respond to Neil's post with "I just hope it's not built in China". Then I see Cyn's post. Arg.

There have been so many problems with things made in China causing death - toxic paint in toys, formaldehyde in baby formula - and illness that we've dealt with in the U.S. lately that I think China is a really bad choice for something like this. Not to disparage the Chinese people and I know their labor costs are much lower than ours. But if that ship is built in China I see disaster and many lawsuits as imminent unless they have an excellent record of ship building under their belt.
    Last edited by SomeChick; 05-02-2012 at 10:49 AM.

A Titanic Made in China. Ye gads!
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

http://www.qvc.com/cgen/render.aspx?...DIRECT-titanic

If you don't know about the fragrence, it really is a heartbreaking & amazing story. Long story short, a passenger whose first name was Adolf, was a chemist, had a bunch of perfumes that he personally made himself. He was trying to sell these fragerances to a company in America. The ship went down and so did these un-opened bottles. Adolf was saved. These bottles of perfumes were recently opened and the original scent, the original smell was still there! It is just amazing. On qvc, they had the original or some of the original liquids from these 100 year old jars and were combined to make the perfume you see on the QVC site.

Did this iceberg sink the Titanic?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	titanic iceberg.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	222.3 KB 
ID:	44516

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2012/...-sank-titanic/
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

My friend sent me a link to that today. Pretty neat!

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Yes it was. The highest ranking officer to survive, Lightoller, identified the iceberg by the strip of red paint left on the berg after the collision. I have the pic in one of my old Titanic books from when I was obsessed with the disaster.
    In Loving Memory of Timothy Houdek, October 22, 1969 - January 8, 2013

My awesome dad: Harry Houdek, September 8, 1933 - November 20, 2013

Words can't convey how much I miss you both. RIP with love.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviatrix View Post
    Yes it was. The highest ranking officer to survive, Lightoller, identified the iceberg by the strip of red paint left on the berg after the collision. I have the pic in one of my old Titanic books from when I was obsessed with the disaster.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Bidmor Guest
    The violin owned by Titanic band violinist Wallace Hartley has been made public. This is the same instrument along with seven others which was played on Titanic's chilly deck while the ship was sinking, their famously final piece being the hymn "Nearer, My God, To Thee".

Incredible story:
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...-found-1763623
    Last edited by Bidmor; 03-15-2013 at 09:46 AM.

That is sooooo cool that they found the violin! The wood is beautiful still, after all these years.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Bidmor Guest
    Yeah, Nessa, very sobering to see the pic of Hartley clutching the violin given to him by his fiancee, and that the final piece played on it would be a hymn before it's owner died after using it to comfort others. I think this Titanic find is by far the most touching and personal.

I read somewhere that Nearer, My God, to Thee was not the song they actually played. Some say it was Autumn.http://www.snopes.com/history/titanic/lastsong.asp
    Last edited by cindyt; 03-16-2013 at 05:59 AM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Hopefully it will end up in the hands of a master violinist care of a generous philanthroper, rather than in a glass case in a museum. It is not uncommon for someone to buy an expensive instrument and loan it out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I read somewhere that Nearer, My God, to Thee was not the song they actually played. Some say it was Autumn.http://www.snopes.com/history/titanic/lastsong.asp
    Snopes is a pretty damned good source. And I'm glad they include passenger recollections. Because really, in all that they were dealing with, no one should expect them to remember or even agree on such a detail.

I just wanted to say rest in peace to all of the victims of the sinking, 101 years ago today. And of course all of those who have passed since. I thank them for sharing their accounts of the sinking and those who have been involved in keeping the memory of the Titanic and it's people alive.

Hard to believe its been that long. Thanks for the reminder. RIP.

Oooo! I didn't know there was a Titanic thread! I'll have to go over this on my next day off!
    I've been a Titanic buff since I was in the 8th grade (many, many moons ago), and my History teacher showed us the National Geographic special with Bob Ballard when he found the ship (thanks Mrs. Gernert for fostering one of my many obsessions!). I never got to see the traveling exhibit, but my Mom went. Actually, she told me not to bother. Her words were "everything they had there was stuff I'd already learned from you over the years."
    "I was 12 going on 13 the first time I saw a dead human being" --Stand by Me

R.I.P victims of the Titanic.
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

Would it surprise anyone to know that the lookouts never saw the massive iceberg in front of them?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Would it surprise anyone to know that the lookouts never saw the massive iceberg in front of them?
    Wowza Neil....probably not. BTW my friend, any more word on the Aussie fellow's (Clive?) progress building a "new" Titanic? Haven't seen or heard anything about it recently.....lovely seeing you here again more often!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Speaking of 'rebuilding' the Titnaic, I've gotta link you guys to a new game being made. It reminds me a bit of Titanic: Adventure out of Time. However, given the 20 or so year difference in time since that game was released, graphics have improved a bit.

https://www.facebook.com/TitanicHonorandGlory?fref=ts

http://titanic-honor-and-glory.tumblr.com/

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ti...-glory-phase-2

The goal is to have a story mode and a free-roam mode, with access to pretty much everything. I'm pretty stoked about this.