Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: The Titanic

ice crispies
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

*Visions of those little Snap, Crackle and Pop guys doing a commerical for this dance through my head.

Bidmor Guest
    The violin which played "Nearer My God To Thee" as the ship sank, has been sold at auction.

Titanic bandmaster Wallace Hartley's instrument, which was given to him by his fiancee, fetched $1.45M. It was found in a leather case, strapped to Hartley's body.

http://news.yahoo.com/titanic-violin...152628201.html

Hopefully the purchaser will take care of it and not attempt to profit from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    The violin which played "Nearer My God To Thee" as the ship sank, has been sold at auction.

Titanic bandmaster Wallace Hartley's instrument, which was given to him by his fiancee, fetched $1.45M. It was found in a leather case, strapped to Hartley's body.

http://news.yahoo.com/titanic-violin...152628201.html
    Apparently a little salt water damage did not effect the auction price.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Ah of course, terrorists. This would also explain black holes.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Those darn Illuminati again, and of course the ever-present Freemasons
    Some compare Elvis to God.. I mean He is good, but He is no Elvis

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	468.9 KB 
ID:	50514
    I was on my way home from the OB yesterday & went down Pennsylvania to snap a picture of the Molly Brown house in honor of the Titanic's sinking anniversary. I had actually never seen it before so it was kind of a treat! I live by her summer home in Lakewood but have yet to visit either!

Joee Guest
    Being a Bucknell grad I found it interesting that the widow of Bucknell's founder survived the Titanic. She had a strong premonition that something bad was going to happen to the ship but she was told how ridiculous her fears were so she shrugged it off and got on board. While waiting for a lifeboat she told her friend something along the lines of I told you so, but she and her friend made it.

Quote Originally Posted by soaring_butterfly View Post

I was on my way home from the OB yesterday & went down Pennsylvania to snap a picture of the Molly Brown house in honor of the Titanic's sinking anniversary. I had actually never seen it before so it was kind of a treat! I live by her summer home in Lakewood but have yet to visit either!
    !!

That is awesome!! Thanks for taking the time to go and take the photo and to post it here. So glad it is still there and preserved so well.
    Regards,
    Tamie
    When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid.

This is why the titanic sank.

Name:	Normand-Titanic'sDisaster.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	206.4 KB 
ID:	50521

Giada Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by soaring_butterfly View Post

Good to see a picture of it posted ...

I was in Denver on business about eight years ago and went through the tour of her home.

Great pic butterfly

Quote Originally Posted by Giada View Post
    Good to see a picture of it posted ...

I was in Denver on business about eight years ago and went through the tour of her home.
    Any interesting tidbits you learned during the tour you'd like to share?

Giada Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Great pic butterfly

Any interesting tidbits you learned during the tour you'd like to share?

No new information to share, nothing that hasn't been published.

The house is beautiful on the inside, well restored and maintained with original furniture. I enjoyed the tour, the guide was knowlegeable.

Same can be said of touring the Margaret Mitchell house in Atlanta. When we were in Atlanta I walked everywhere possible, getting that great feel of the city. I did the same thing in Denver, taking a walking tour. (And then there was Buffalo, NY, Seattle, WA, Sac, CA ... )

I imagine the original furniture was magnificent. Great that they kept and restored it.

Giada Guest
    Only one other comment ...

Victorian homes are tiny and perfunctory. A parlor contains a piano, several chairs, possible settee, and little room to move. I recall thinking, how does anyone cook in the kitchen, or enjoy the experience of living. Hell, they don't, it's the Victorian era ... .

Quote Originally Posted by Giada View Post
    Only one other comment ...

Victorian homes are tiny and perfunctory. A parlor contains a piano, several chairs, possible settee, and little room to move. I recall thinking, how does anyone cook in the kitchen, or enjoy the experience of living. Hell, they don't, it's the Victorian era ... .
    In Victorian times the parlour was where the corpse was on display in the coffin prior to burial.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

I wonder if they let you eat sushi off of it?

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    This is why the titanic sank.

Name:	Normand-Titanic'sDisaster.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	206.4 KB 
ID:	50521
    This Godzilla type thing or the Loch Ness Monster has moved.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    This Godzilla type thing or the Loch Ness Monster has moved.
    Yeah, he does get around.

If anyone is interested, a game is being developed regarding the Titanic, her history, and the story of her passengers. It is a bit remeniscent of 'Titanic: Adventure Out Of Time,' if any of you have played that.

I am very excited for this game, and hope that the developers are able to raise the money to complete it. I am most looking forward to exploring the ship, but I have a feeling that I'll enjoy the story line as well.

Titanic - Honor and Glory on Facebook

Official Website

Current Indiegogo Campaign

Also, on a related note, I did not realize that the restoration of the SS Nomadic (last White Star Line ship afloat) has been completed. I'd love to visit someday: http://www.nomadicbelfast.com/

Wait, was Adventure Out Of Time a hidden object game? I think I remember playing a hidden object game set on the Titanic...
    "Tequila may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot."

"I just go here!"

"I am not psychic. I AM psychotic. BIG difference."

Adventure Out Of Time was a mystery/puzzle game where you are a secret agent who has gone back in time and find various objects aboard the Titanic, which end up affecting how history plays out. Been a long time since I have played it, but I still have my copy.

I'm interested in finding the came you're talking about, though (unless this game is it )!
    Last edited by snowblindburd; 02-24-2015 at 08:20 PM.

I think the one played was on Big Fish games. I love their games.
    "Tequila may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot."

"I just go here!"

"I am not psychic. I AM psychotic. BIG difference."

Fascinating stuff. I had no idea about the history and the making of all of the white star ships.

To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Mcafgr View Post
    Fascinating stuff. I had no idea about the history and the making of all of the white star ships.

That was so cool. Thanks so much for sharing.

That's a great video. There were so many photographs I had never seen before! I really like that he went into the later history of the Olympic. It's such a shame that she was scrapped. I think it must have been crazy to see a ship, closely resembling the Titanic, coming into port years after the Titanic tragedy.

I had to laugh at how he teases the viewer by making one think he is going to talk about the Titanic, as a way to enlighten those less familiar with the history of the three sister ships.

Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by snowblindburd View Post
    That's a great video. There were so many photographs I had never seen before! I really like that he went into the later history of the Olympic. It's such a shame that she was scrapped. I think it must have been crazy to see a ship, closely resembling the Titanic, coming into port years after the Titanic tragedy.

I had to laugh at how he teases the viewer by making one think he is going to talk about the Titanic, as a way to enlighten those less familiar with the history of the three sister ships.

Thanks for sharing!
    I thought the same thing about the Olympic. I can't believe they scrapped it.

meclaudius Guest
    The Olympic was just another ship, though. In the 30s, when it was scrapped, there was no nostalgia for ships. There was nothing that could be done with it. It had finished its life, there were newer ships that were more comfortable, and it was (by standards of the day) ugly inside. So, they scrapped it.

Not every ship can become the Queen Mary and be used as a hotel. The Queen Mary is flat broke anyway and is basically a sad shell of herself because there's no money for upkeep. Plus, they've moved walls, redecorated, and put in a hugely tacky ghost tour. It's not the QM that they sailed on in its heyday.

The good thing about scrapping is that pieces are recycled into other ships. Fittings and interiors were sent to homes and pubs (and now even another ship). Scrapping is a good thing. A good portion of the ship is re-used in other new ships.

So we can take solace in the fact that the Olympic probably lives on today in current ships if their steel is recycled from others.

I'm waiting to see what happens with the S.S. United States, I have a feeling it will end being scrapped. Sinking her in tropical waters as a reef for sea life and dive site would be incredible.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Biscuit that survived the sinking of the Titanic sells for $23,000 at auction:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/biscu...ry?id=34737427

prolly a bit stale by now.

Did you notice the imprint on it?

Still very sharp stamping. Tough ass biscuit.

Maybe they should have made the ships hull out of that biscuit dough.

Headlines might have been different:

"Titanic sinks iceberg - search for missing penguins continues..."
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

New Titanic Documentary Claims Ship Sank Due to Fire

In Titanic: The New Evidence, an upcoming hour-long documentary on the Smithsonian Channel, new evidence suggests that it was actually a coal fire which caused the 1912 disaster. Whether viewers are generally intrigued by all things nautical â?? or fans of Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winsletâ??s blockbuster Titanic â?? the documentary promises to capture their attention with newly unearthed photos detailing the many shortcomings that contributed to the Titanicâ??s terrible end at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean.

http://people.com/tv/new-titanic-doc...k-due-to-fire/
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Wow, this article says the fire was raging at least 10 days before launch. And investor JP Morgan knew about the fire and insisted on full speed ahead anyway.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...ry-808472.html
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

Old news. It wasn't uncommon for coal to smoulder for a number of days.
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

I don't buy that it sank due to a fire, it sank due to the massive amount of water the flooded the ship, if there had been a fire the coal boys would have put it out, they had groups of them on watch 24 hours a day keeping an eye for fires which would have been put out. Every account I read from the survivors and those that were working down below never reported anything about a fire.

Some info regarding this from folks who have one their research and have connections to the Titanic community. https://youtu.be/NfSa8kqqfYg

The fire theory is so badly researched. The guy shows a black smudge on the hull at launching and says the fire was going at that time. The ship didn't even have boilers installed yet until fitting out took place. Why would their be coal loaded and lit in a ship with no boilers?

Good point.

That'd be a dumbass thing to do - that could start a fire.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

44. 04-20-2017, 01:22 PM

huge iceberg off Canada's east coast - the Titanic never had a chance

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    huge iceberg off Canada's east coast - the Titanic never had a chance

Good golly.. That thing is freaking HUGE!!!

Preservation, as tragic as the ship was going down and the deaths of so many, it is still a part of history. RIP titanic people.

10 Titanic Survivors Describe What The Sinking Was Actually Like https://www.ranker.com/list/titanic-...Fweird-history

GOD IS NOT DEAD

Nice find Cindy. Even in these modern times, I have no desire to go on a Cruise Ship.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    Nice find Cindy. Even in these modern times, I have no desire to go on a Cruise Ship.
    Me neither, Mr. Clean. When I was a child my daddy owned a V-bow speedboat. One day we were on the dam, when a rogue wave nearly capsized us. I can't even imagine being on a ship sinking in the ocean.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Me neither, Mr. Clean. When I was a child my daddy owned a V-bow speedboat. One day we were on the dam, when a rogue wave nearly capsized us. I can't even imagine being on a ship sinking in the ocean.
    That would be pretty scary Cindy however I would love to go on a cruise.