Thread: Billy Tipton (Jazz Pianist)

Billy Tipton (Jazz Pianist)

Billy Tipton

Early life

Tipton was born as Dorothy Lucille Tipton in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA. She grew up in Kansas City, Missouri, where she was raised by an aunt after her parents' divorce. After the divorce, she rarely saw her father, G.W. Tipton, a pilot who sometimes took her for airplane rides. As a high school student, Tipton became interested in music, especially jazz.

Early career

In 1933, Tipton began dressing like a man, which allowed her to blend with the other members of the jazz bands she played with in small Oklahoma bars. As she began a more serious music career, she decided to adopt a male persona, calling herself by her father's nickname, Billy, and presenting herself consistently as male. She had a face which could easily pass as male, so she could bind her breasts and pad her pants to create a believable illusion of masculinity. The change to life as a man made it possible for Tipton to continue a career in jazz, where opportunities for women were more limited. At first, she was male only in her public persona, but by 1940 she was presenting herself as male both publicly and privately.

Later career

Tipton began playing piano alone at the Elks club in Longview, Washington. In Longview, he started the Billy Tipton Trio, which consisted of Tipton on piano, Dick O'Neil on drums, and Kenny Richards (and later Ron Kilde) on bass. The trio grew more successful locally, until a talent scout from Tops Records heard them play at King's Supper Club, in Santa Barbara, California. Richards later said that he had no idea that Tipton was anything other than male. With Tops Records, the Billy Tipton Trio recorded two albums, "Sweet Georgia Brown" and "Billy Tipton Plays Hi-Fi on Piano," both released early in 1957. The albums were Tipton versions of standards including "Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man," "Willow Weep for Me," "What'll I Do," and "Don't Blame Me". In 1957, the albums sold 17,678 copies.
    After the albums' success, the Billy Tipton Trio was offered a position as house band at the Holiday Hotel, in Reno, Nevada. Tipton declined the offer to go to Reno, and also ignored an offer from Tops Records to record four more albums. He moved instead to Spokane, Washington, working as a talent broker and playing with his trio every week at Allen's Tin Pan Alley. He played mainly swing standards, and not the jazz he preferred, but occasionally worked a little jazz into the performances. His performances included skits in which, in the vaudeville tradition, he imitated celebrities like Liberace and Elvis Presley. In some of these sketches, he played a little girl, and though he never impersonated an adult woman, he did make jokes about homosexuality.
    He finished his career in Spokane, his trio playing as the house band at Allen's Tin Pan Alley as he mentored young musicians at the Dave Sobol Theatrical Agency. Billy Tipton retired from music in the 1970's, when he found it difficult to play piano with increasing arthritis.

Family life

Early in her career, Tipton cross-dressed only professionally, and still lived in her private life as a woman. She spent those early years living with a woman named Non Earl Harrell, in a relationship which other musicians recognized as lesbian. The relationship ended in 1942.
    Tipton's next relationship, with a singer named June, lasted for several years.
    For seven years, Tipton lived with Betty Cox, who was 19 years old when they became involved. According to Betty, they had a normal heterosexual relationship which included sex. He kept the secret of his biological sex by telling Betty that he had been in a serious car accident which required him to bind his chest to protect broken ribs, and which had badly damaged his genitals. This is the story he would also tell subsequent women with whom he was involved. Betty was not faithful to Tipton, but was fond of him nonetheless, and remembered him as "the most fantastic love of my life"
    After Betty ended their relationship, he quickly became involved with Maryann Catanach, a prostitute. According to Maryann, theirs was a normal sexual relationship, and she did not know that Tipton was biologically female, since he dressed in private, had sex only in the dark, and preferred to touch, not to be touched.
    Two of Tipton's female cousins were the only persons privy to both sides of his life, and Tipton kept in contact with them for years.
    In 1960, he ended a relationship with a prostitute to be married to nightclub dancer and stripper Kitty Kelly (later Oakes), who was known professionally as "The Irish Venus". Tipton was never legally married, but several women had drivers' licenses identifying them as Mrs. Tipton. Kitty said that they never had sex, but had an otherwise normal life. They were involved with their local PTA and with the Boy Scouts. They adopted three sons, John, Scott, and William. Although Kitty denied having any knowledge that she was married to a transman, John and Scott did not believe her. William described Tipton as a good father who loved to go on Scout camping trips.
    Their adopted sons became difficult to manage during their adolescence. Because of the couple's ongoing arguments over how they should raise the boys, Tipton left Kitty, moved into a mobile home with their sons, and resumed his old relationship with Maryann. He remained there until his death a year later.

Death and its aftermath

Tipton finished his life living in poverty in a mobile home park. In 1989, at the age of 74, he believed that he was suffering the effects of emphysema and refused to call a doctor. What he was really suffering from was a hemorrhaging ulcer, which, untreated, was fatal. It was while paramedics were trying to save Tipton's life that his watching son, William, learned for the first time that his father was biologically female, a secret which the coroner soon revealed to his family.
    Tipton was pronounced dead at Valley General Hospital, and Kitty arranged for his body to be cremated in an attempt to keep Billy's secret. But one of Billy's sons gave an interview, and the story was seized upon by the media, who eagerly told the story despite Kitty's objections. The first newspaper article was published the day after Tipton's funeral, and was quickly picked up by wire services. There were rumors of a movie biography, and stories about Tipton appeared in a variety of papers including tabloids like National Enquirer and Star, and more serious papers like New York Magazine and The Seattle Times. Tipton's family made talk-show appearances.
    The family was split by disagreements after Tipton's death, and Tipton's remains were divided in two parts, half for Kitty and William, and half for John and Scott. In his will, Tipton left most of his belongings to William, and a dollar each to John and Scott.

And just wanted to add - a good book to read on her life is, "Suits Me: The Life of Billy Tipton" - altho I just find it hard to believe how none of the wives/girlfriends "knew"!

Kathyf Guest
    What a great story. I never heard this. I know who she is but never heard this. Was she ever be able to get a sex change? What a sad life but so talented.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathyf View Post
    What a great story. I never heard this. I know who she is but never heard this. Was she ever be able to get a sex change? What a sad life but so talented.
    No, she never got a sex change - just cross-dressed all her life, and lived as a man.

Jaxxx Guest
    Wow, looking at the pictures she always looked like a woman to me, even dressed in a suit. You know those women knew, that's utter B.S. they never knew.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxxx View Post
    Wow, looking at the pictures she always looked like a woman to me, even dressed in a suit. You know those women knew, that's utter B.S. they never knew.
    That's what I think too. I mean, come on!

Oooh, I remember this story. I think E! did a True Hollywood Story or an episode of Mysteries & Scandals on her (him?) back when before they devoted the channel to idiots like Paris, Britney and Hohan. I find it really strange that all the women she was with never knew. I suppose it's possible, but I make it a point to look a man's junk if we're gonna get down. lol I've seen way too many episode of Springer and I don't need any surprises.

In the biography, "Suits Me", it is mentioned Billy had a strap-on dildo she used for sex.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    In the biography, "Suits Me", it is mentioned Billy had a strap-on dildo she used for sex.
    You know I have often wondered if they had those back in the 1940's for some reason?

I guess they probably did but sex was such a taboo...especially something like a dildo, much less strap on!

But that was an interesting story Aries65, thanks for posting it.

Jazbabee Guest
    I have always found this story rather strange and have trouble believing that none of the wives knew

NaCl Guest

Billy Tipton - Jazz transvestite

Anyone remember "him?" Even his children were shocked when he died and it was revealed he was a woman!

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...lived-as-a-man

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Tipton

Billy Lee Tipton (born as Dorothy Lucille Tipton,[1] December 29, 1914 - January 21, 1989) was an American jazz musician and bandleader who lived surreptitiously as a transman for over 50 years. Until her dying moments, the fact that Tipton was a female who was identifying and living as a male was known only to two female cousins andâ??possiblyâ??some of her/his paramours as well.

RubySlippers Guest
    i think i saw something on Unsolved Mysteries about it. Hmmmm....

Lisamarie Guest
    whaaaa!!!!! I love it!!

Guest Guest
    Never heard of her/him, but what an interesting character. Thanks

Chevyheaven Guest
    I hear that some say Hillary Rodham Clinton is acutally infact a woman too. Thats nuts.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevyheaven View Post
    I hear that some say Hillary Rodham Clinton is acutally infact a woman too. Thats nuts.
    Lol, what a crazy idea!

Ooh...I remember this guy, er woman. Back when E! was actually cool, they had a little show called Mysteries & Scandals that covered the lives of all these obscure celebrities and their tragic lives. Billy Tipton was one of them. I remember some of the women that lived with him claimed they had no idea he was a she even though they claimed they had sex.
    "You live alone, creating your life as you go." - Edie Sedgwick

KarmaKat Guest
    This is a great story to read about. I still cant believe no one knew lol. Aparently people did talk about maybe he was gay due to his small soft hands and pet poodle lol.

glamgirltx Guest
    I remember watching "Mysteries & Scandals" w/AJ Benza years ago and they did a story on her/him. Blew my mind! BTW, that show was AWESOME! I wish I could find the old episodes :-(

Darrianne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by glamgirltx View Post
    I remember watching "Mysteries & Scandals" w/AJ Benza years ago and they did a story on her/him. Blew my mind! BTW, that show was AWESOME! I wish I could find the old episodes :-(
    I do believe that is where I first heard this story, too. And I read about it at crimelibrary.com

I miss that show! Really liked it.

unihikid Guest
    yeah why did they get rid of it? out here in dallas it came on at noon and they usually showed two 30min episodes.but thats where i first saw something on billy,they had so many cool episodes and what made it cool was that i would read about the people on fad and then low and behold they would air the same person within a week of my readings on fad...

glamgirltx Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
    yeah why did they get rid of it? out here in dallas it came on at noon and they usually showed two 30min episodes.but thats where i first saw something on billy,they had so many cool episodes and what made it cool was that i would read about the people on fad and then low and behold they would air the same person within a week of my readings on fad...
    My guess as to why they got rid of it, is that the general public and the Nielsen families are idiots. They don't care about the stars of a bygone era. It's all about T&A and more T. I for one used to absolutely LOOOVE the E! True Hollywood Story. They had some kick ass episodes, but they gradually moved away from older stars and started profiling modern celebs. I quit watching after that.

The episodes of Mysteries and Scandals that stick out in my mind were:

Sal Mineo
    Ramone Navarro
    Frances Farmer
    George Reeves
    Billy Tipton

As for THS:

Bob Fosse (God, I loved that man! Amazing talent!)
    Karen Carpenter
    Ray Combs
    Tony Perkins
    Rod Serling (what a sexy ass little man!)
    Liberace

When they started doing socialites and trust fund babies, I said eff u and sold my tv.

Darrianne Guest
    I agree with you, glamgirl. That is truly when THS jumped the shark, as they say.

cachluv Guest
    Wow. This person made music from a man and from a woman. Wow. I gotta research this....

hotmama Guest
    i remember when "she" died and she did look like a woman. "she" had feminine features. "her" wife claims she did not know.. come on now. she said her "husband" said he was hurt in an accident so they could not have sex. yeah okay and she did not say let me see or "hubby" just had a mean lick lick game. because i can not see it. bobby got dressed in another room not in the room with his wife. red flag.. and did anyone see that tampons or pads were being used by more than one person??? well i never understood that and how she got away with it. like madame butterfly. he claims he did not know his asian lover was a man but how ironic is it that he now in a relationship with a man??? come on people. denial is powerful.

HappyCat Guest
    I read a very interesting biography about Tipton years ago. Can't recall the name of the book...if I find it I will post it, but it was a pretty good read. The book had alot of great pictures too. I just thought it was pretty amazing that she lived her life as a man and no one knew. I suspect that people knew, but didn't say anything out of respect? Or was it that she was so talented? Still...I think it's a fascinating story.

Gary Guest
    BUMP!
    Here is the original thread from Nov. '07 with a LOT of great info!

I read Suits Me awhile ago...fascinating story. I noticed in pictures that sometimes s/he really DID look like a man, at other times if you knew you could tell ...

Jazbabee Guest
    We need a merge on Billy Tipton threads please !!!!

Jazbabee Guest

Zonigal Guest
    Billy's adopted son used to come in to where I worked all of the time. He said it was a complete suprise that his "dad" was a woman.

HappyCat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazbabee View Post

Yes, I agree. I am easily confused. LOL!

pvezz Guest
    *BUMP*

silverwaif77 Guest
    I first heard of this case when the book suits me came out. I just saw a great program about this on Discovery ID called The Will. It's a great new show that has aleady got me hooked! According to the show no one knew that Billy was really a woman. Also Billy's wife Kitty was a shitty mom according to the kids. Also according to the show, Billy refused to go to the doctor or hospital, possibly out of fear that his secret would be discovered. The kids wernt legally adopted, Billy and Kitty made fake birth certificates for the kids to put them in school I guess, since they didn't bother to make a fake marriage certificate.
    I'm going to have to break down and read suits me.

starshine93078 Guest
    My dad used to mow his/her (?) lawn when he was in high school. That's always fascinated me.

I read the book "Suits Me" again just last year and just shook my head in amazement over it all - especially after looking over all the photos of Billy and wonder how so many people were so stupid to not realize "he" was a "she". I've seen more butcher lesbians in the bars!

Quote Originally Posted by starshine93078 View Post
    My dad used to mow his/her (?) lawn when he was in high school. That's always fascinated me.
    There is a joke in here somewhere...

HappyCat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    I read the book "Suits Me" again just last year and just shook my head in amazement over it all - especially after looking over all the photos of Billy and wonder how so many people were so stupid to not realize "he" was a "she". I've seen more butcher lesbians in the bars!
    I pulled out my copy again to look at the pictures. I have always thought it was amazing that people didn't know "he" was a "she". I suspect that people knew, but chose to ignore it.

silverwaif77 Guest
    I think sometimes people just assume people are what they say they are. Consider the time, back in the 1950's people may have cross dressed, but not too many people were trans, or if they were no one really knew about it (like Billy).
    I have know several people in different stages of transition, sometimes they look like a feminine guy, or an masculine looking woman. I'm sure we have all met some people who wern't trans, but were kind of different looking, just kind of how they were made. Maybe people just assumed he was a feminine looking man, especially because he was "married" and had children ( I dont know if they advertised that their children were adopted), so maybe that helped the illusion that "he" was just like any other guy.
    I still don't believe the wife didnt know. I don't buy that. There would have been pads, tampons. She never walked in him changing or getting out of the shower? I don't think you could cohabitate as husband and wife and not know what was going on.