Page 1 of 13 12310 ... LastLast

Thread: Schlitzie

Cynthia Guest

Schlitzie

I happy to see Schlitzie commemorated on this website. "Dark Carnival" a biography of Tod Browning, said that the sideshow performers in the movie "Freaks" did not live by the "offend one and offend them all" code in the movie. In fact, the book said that they all were egoists who considered themselves "stars". All except Schlitzie. By all accounts, Schlitzie was always good-natured and sweet. I am a big fan of Schlitzie. His smile could light up a room!

It's a shame his grave is unmarked. He deserves a nice tombstone that says something like "Shlitzie: Beloved Sideshow Entertainer and star of Tod Browning's "Freaks".

I wish Scott would start a campaign for a fund to buy Schlitze a headstone. I'd contribute. If I had the money, I'd pay for it all myself.

Unfortunately something like this needs permission from the family, which does not exist.

RoRo Guest
    what a shame nothing can be done!

It's crazy if the deceased has no living relatives to continue to enforce that rule!
    Wanna see my grandkids?

sunshine74137 Guest
    It's strange that permission is needed, I would say put it up and if they have a problem they can take it down.I always like the deal, ask forgiveness not permission. how much does a stone cost anyway??

When Judith Barsi and her mother were killed by her father, they were buried and their graves were unmarked for approx. 10 yrs. I remember reading on Find a Death and on Find a Grave about a woman who felt terrible that that poor little girl was in an unmarked grave and raised enough money to buy markers for her and her mother. I even contributed to it! Does anyone else remember this? Since there was no family for the Barsi's, I wonder if the cemetery gave permission? It's a shame that Schlitize's grave is unmarked. If anyone finds a way to get permission to buy a stone, I'll contribute.

Queen_Death_Hag Guest
    I donated money for the Barsi's graves it was on Findagrave I think a friend emailed me the link.
    Last edited by Queen_Death_Hag; 07-23-2008 at 06:44 PM.

Great news! I just spoke with Sylvia at Queen of Heaven Cemetery and there is a way to place a gravestone for Schlitzie!

Schlitzie is buried in a paupers grave, and was buried by LA County. He is in his own casket but is sharing a grave with 2 other people. Apparently this is common for the county to bury multiple people in a grave to save space and money.

Since the county buried him, they would need reimbursed by anyone wanting to place a marker (basically claiming the grave). Since he is sharing the grave with 2 others, the county would need to be reimbursed 1/3 of the cost from 1971.

After the county is paid, a marker can be placed! Sylvia is hopefully going to be able to call me tomorrow with the cost needed to reimburse the county. After getting that amount, we can look at a gravestones, bronze plaques, etc and see how much money needs to be raised. Since there is no family, as long as the county is reimbursed and the marker meets the requirements of the cemetery, it should be a go!

Maybe Dennis and Annie can help us in the right direction on picking an appropriate marker for his grave. As I posted earlier in the thread, I remember donating to Judith Barsi and her mother's grave stones. Maybe we can do the same kind of thing, with a PayPal account and post a link to it here on FINDADEATH, if Scott doesn't mind and gives his approval.

I'm really excited about this. I think it's terrible to not be remembered.

I am too and I will donate to a marker it may not be much (because hubby is set to go on strike) but I will do what I can!

Sheila
    Wanna see my grandkids?

I'll donate. Just let me know where! I'll put a link to where we can donate on my website, too. I don't know if it will help, but it's worth a shot! I also have a couple of friends who love 'Freaks', I'm sure I could get them to donate too.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

keep us updated.

RoRo Guest
    yes keep us updated ....I will donate as well!

The woman I spoke to, Sylvia, was really helpful. She was great from the start, and became very interested after I told her who he was and why we wanted to do this for him. I didn't want her to think I was just another freak on the phone, and told her all about Find A Death, the memorial page for Schlitzie, the message board, and this thread. She was going to look it up and review it when she could. She even knew who Zippy the Pinhead was and did not know he based on a real person. She really seemed interested in helping me find this information, and hopes to have it by tomorrow. She is worried though that some of the information may take a while since it was from 1971, but should hopefully be able to get us on a good start.

I found that book Dark Carnival about Tod Browning very interesting.
    What about the conjoined twins Daisy and Violet Hilton I don't think
    they have a gravestone yet.

Bozarth Guest
    What a cool thread!

Getting a stone is possible, awesome... but what spelling will be used?!

UPDATE!!!! I spoke with Sylvia at the cemetery, and have good and bad news.

GOOD NEWS!!!! She gave me the total for his 1/3 of the grave, which is $133.00 dollars. I spend more than that at Starbucks in a week!

BAD NEWS.... Since Schlitzie is buried in the county section of the cemetery, and is sharing the grave with 2 others, there is a restriction on what can be placed in the way of a grave marker. Basically, we can only buy the gravestone from them. It is a 12 X 24 granite marker, and will have his first and last name on it. Below that the year of his birth, a small cross in the middle, then the year of his death. That unfortunately is all that is allowed in that section. Nothing too personalized. But there is some good news. The marker only costs $245.35!

OK, so the whole total cost would be $378.37. Someone would have to sign the contracts with the cemetery, and the only responsibility that person would have is making sure the cemetery was paid their money. There would be no further financial fees after the cemetery was reimbursed.

I have already been hitting doctors up at work for money for this project. Since I don't have kids and they do, I always get stuck buying things I don't want to support their kids in their fundraisers so they can support my fund raiser. I have $100.00 collected at this time.

This leaves us the remaining $278.37 to collect. Since I live in Ohio, is there anyone in California that would be able to go to the cemetery to sign the paperwork? I would continue to help raise the money, but before I start asking for donations, once again I will want Scott's blessing before I do anything.

Anyone able to help just let me know!
    Last edited by Colicky; 07-29-2008 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Corrected mistake.

rj9748 Guest
    It is sad that we can only put a basic gravemarker on Schlitzie's grave. I have an idea. It is only an idea, no hate mail please. Can we claim the gravesite and have Schlitzie's remains removed and cremated? We can then buy a niche at Hollywood Forever and make it as cool as we wish. We can buy a niche close to Scotts niche. When Scott dies, we can but a small sign saying thank you Scott in Schlitzie's niche, and another small sign saying ,your welcome Schlitzie, in Scotts niche.

Bozarth Guest
    hahaha I like that idea. I don't know if other people would like it, but it sure put a smile on MY face.

BigBootyJudy Guest
    I would like to contribute a little if you guys can set up a paypal account or something. Has anyone alerted Scott to the new development?

RocketQueen Guest
    I will pitch in too. Poor guy needs to be rememberd. Just let me know how.

Let us know as soon as you find out where we can send moolah to!
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    If everyone on this board donated two bucks...We could get the rest easily! Colicy, you deserve a special shout out! You don't just talk about it you do it...That is sooo awsome. Let us all know how to help!

Hi everyone. There is a chance that the money needed to reimburse the cemetery and pay for the stone has been raised, will know for sure soon. I will let everyone know the outcome ASAP. I have also found someone who is willing to sign the contract with the cemetery. Once the money is paid and the contract signed, the stone will be set in 6-8 weeks afterwards. I can't wait to see pictures! Scott is aware of this project and is keeping in contact with me regarding the new developments, and wants this project to be successful so hopefully soon Schlitzie will have his grave marked properly as it should have been all along. Thanks to everyone who has offered to help!

24. 07-25-2008, 12:37 AM

So whats the pay pall account to send some cash too?

pvezz Guest
    I'm in, too!

Hi everyone. It looks like we will still need to raise money for Schlitzie's gravestone. I am going to set up a PayPal account for donations ASAP. I am currently in the middle of working a horrible work schedule (doing back to back double shifts at the hospital), but hope to have the account set up by Tuesday 07/29/08. I have received Scott's blessing to do this, so it will be a go! We do not need raise a large amount, just around $400.00, and I have already raised some money myself so it should be a quick fundraiser. When everything is up and running, I'll let everyone know. Thanks to all who have offered to help!

28. 07-27-2008, 01:17 AM

Bozarth Guest
    I'm totally up for helping out a little bit (and trust me, I can only help out with mere dollars) to help this thing move along... eagerly awaiting a paypal.

leevancleef Guest
    Anybody knows why hes on a paupers grave?

Count me in!
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Bozarth Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leevancleef View Post
    Anybody knows why hes on a paupers grave?
    no family or anyone to do it at the time, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Bozarth View Post
    no family or anyone to do it at the time, I think.
    I think so, too. Every city has a paupers' section for people without means or family or who are unknown and/or unclaimed. Sad. Especially for this guy, who brought so much joy to so many. I commend anyone who uses what they are given in life and makes the best of it.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

leevancleef Guest
    yes, its very sad indeed.... id like to think that he had somebody who cared about him, some family members, a friend... if he didnt, its heartbreaking.

Hi everyone. I have just confirmed the amount needed to place the grave stone for Schlitzie. It really is just $378.37 !!! I have set up a paypal account so anyone who wishes may donate to his marker.

I am not looking to make one cent from this. I only want to make sure that his grave is properly marked. I created a new account and will only accept donations until the $378.37 is raised and then will cancel the account.

Donations can be sent to ___________, the account name is ______________.

Once the paperwork is done and payment received, the gravestone will be placed in the following 6-8 weeks. I have asked Sylvia (the really great lady at the cemetery) to start the contracts and have placed a deposit on my credit card. I have found someone in California who is willing to sign the contract to place the grave marker and will do so when the total amount is raised.

Once again, since he buried in the LA County portion of the cemetery, we are limited as to what can be placed on his grave in the way of a memorial. He will have a 12 X 24 granite marker placed with his name as listed on the death certificate, and the year of his birth, a small cross, then the year of his death.

Thanks to everyone who have offered to help with this project!
    Last edited by Colicky; 08-18-2008 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Removed paypal and e-mail info because we reached our goal!

BigBootyJudy Guest
    Sent my donation this morning! Can't wait for this marker to be installed! Kind of nice to do something for a sweet soul who we don't want to see forgotten!

I sent mine just now. Cant't wait for him to get his stone and I do hope someone posts pics of it.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

RoRo Guest
    just sent some money as well.....this is a great thing we are doing !!!!

I sent some and I'm posting a bulletin on my MySpace about it!

We must get pics when it's up!

- R.H. Sin

done

Thanks everyone! We are off to a great start! As of 1000 PM, we are at 153.33 towards our goal!!!!

Cynthia Guest
    I don't know ANYTHING about PayPal accounts! I've heard of them but never used one. Please inform me about them so I can contribute towards Schlitze's marker. I'm so glad this is happening; it broke my heart to hear that Schlitze is in an unmarked grave.

Go to the paypal site and open an account. https://www.paypal.com/
    You must have a bank account or credit card. Just follow the instructions and you'll be set.

BTW, once you've set up your account, if you have any problems sending the money, just ask me or one of the others and we'll be glad to help.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

44. 07-30-2008, 12:57 AM

pvezz Guest
    My donation will be sent tomorrow! This is just the coolest ever, guys!

murderjunkie Guest
    sent!

pvezz Guest
    A friend of mine runs a website dedicated to old movies, radio, fashion, etc. It is www.midnightpalace.com. I actually thought of Kelt right away; I think the two of them would reallly hit it off!

Anywho, "Freaks" is one of his favorite movies, so I emailed him the link to this thread. He was thrilled, so he linked it to his site to see if any of his members would be interested in donating. Here's the link:

http://midnightpalace.com/phpbb/nfph...pic.php?t=1628

BigBootyJudy Guest
    How we doing so far Colicky?? I am trying to scrounge up some more cash over here. I hope we can get it very quickly. Are there any Schlitzie fan sites that might be interested in helping us?

Hi guys! Sorry I didn't post earlier, I exercised this morning after work and then did something really strange for me, I went to bed and slept until now.

As of right now, we are at $236.00 dollars!!!! Only $146.37 to go!!!!

Noor 7ayaty Guest
    It is so nice of you guys to do this! I saw a clip someone posted of Schlitzie. Ya'll rock! It's not much but I'll chip in.

Scott's tat looks JUST like him, doesn't it???

Noor 7ayaty Guest
    Ugh, did I do it right? Remember, I'm the board's TechnoTard ...

Quote Originally Posted by Noor 7ayaty View Post
    Ugh, did I do it right? Remember, I'm the board's TechnoTard ...

You sure did! Thanks Noor! Don't worry, your not the TechnoTard of the board, I still can't figure out how to place and avator!

1karenhb Guest
    Thanks for the effort Colicky. Not really a fan of his but he definately deserves a marker so donation sent. Thanks again.