Thread: The Berlin Reunion

The Berlin Reunion

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/200...n_reunion.html

Earlier this week, 1.5 million people filled the streets of Berlin, Germany to watch a several-day performance by France's Royal de Luxe street theatre company titled "The Berlin Reunion". Part of the celebrations of the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall, the Reunion show featured two massive marionettes, the Big Giant, a deep-sea diver, and his niece, the Little Giantess. The storyline of the performance has the two separated by a wall, thrown up by "land and sea monsters". The Big Giant has just returned from a long and difficult - but successful - expedition to destroy the wall, and now the two are walking the streets of Berlin, seeking each other after many years apart. I'll let the photos below tell the rest of the story. ([SIZE=3]35 photos total[/SIZE])
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Wow it's been 20 years since the wall came down? Am I really that old?
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

I remember when that happened.
    I cannot even begin to imagine how the people of Berlin felt when, after that many years, they were able to see and touch family members and friends again without fear of being shot.

Quote Originally Posted by jlm709 View Post
    I remember when that happened.
    I cannot even begin to imagine how the people of Berlin felt when, after that many years, they were able to see and touch family members and friends again without fear of being shot.
    I did not know that marionette exhibitions had such a violent history in Germany!
    j/k
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

my bad....I thought this about the actual fall of the wall.
    damn rum.

Rosebud666 Guest

Berlin photos

Everybody here is marking the 50th anniversary of the building of the Berlin Wall this weekend.

Which made me remember that I still have some photos from our last visit to Berlin.

To see the images full size, just click on the caption.

Kochstrasse, with Checkpoint Charlie in the background

Rosebud Jr. next to a remaining section of the wall

Memorial to persons shot at the Berlin Wall

Postdamer Platz with vehicles crossing where the wall used to stand

The National Holocaust Memorial

RIP Knut

Rosebud666 Guest
    Bumping this thread because of the upcoming 25th anniversary.

Where were you when the wall came down? I was watching this on TV, and when my ex-wife came home from work, she told me I must have misunderstood something.