Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Patrick Swayze

BooMom Guest
    I saw him in person 2x. Once at a Arabian Exhibition just outside of town, and when the cast of N&S book 2 was filming here. Gawd, he was beyond hot !

My last teenage crush - gone.

RIP, Patrick. You are so missed !

He fought that disease with grace and dignity. God bless him and his wife.

Two of my most favorite SNL sketches were him with Chris Farley doing the Chippendale's routine and Hans and Franz.

leeny994 Guest
    Ahhh I was hoping he would beat it. RIP Johnny Castle. I watched Too Wong Foo last night-i had to!

Noreen Guest
    He was a good man.

RIP Patrick

slinky Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dearheart View Post
    ...he fought hard but I think we all know he didn't leave this world with any regrets, he fought and left on his terms and as he said in Ghost..all that love, you take it with you...
    You've just made me ball like a baby with that!!

What a truely beautiful man he was in every way. My thoughts are with his devoted family.

I'm gutted to hear this.

Rest In Peace xxxx

bat115 Guest
    RIP Patrick. Is Hollywood going to be wiped out before the end of the year?

Sorry if this was posted already but I never knew this song had a video!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlvYoD1RXWA

Valerie Guest
    RIP Patrick

Wow this has been a rough summer.

Dixie Girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sablegsd View Post
    He is riding Tammen again.
    One of my favorite pictures of him. He was an accomplished Arabian horse breeder, and this is one of the most stellar stallions (Tammen) that his breeding program produced:

Patrick was an icon to a generation. He took a passable B budget movie, Dirty Dancing, and elevated it above what any other actor could have done with it.
    I think I want to go cry now.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quite a battle he put up. He's in a better place now, without pain.

Poem from The Outsiders:
    Nature's first green is gold, Her hardest hue to hold.Her early leaf's a flower; But only so an hour. Then leaf subsides to leaf. So Eden sank to grief, So dawn goes down to day. Nothing gold can stay. -- Robert Frost

"It means your gold when your a kid, like green. Everything is new, dawn. Its only when you grow up that you get used to everything. Like the way you dig sunsets Pony, thats gold. Keep it that way. Its a good way to be.
    "Stay Gold Patrick" !! RIP! My hometown Texas boy!
    My Posse's On Broadway

Gorey Guest
    Kiddo was conceived while watching Ghost.....

Another great soul has left the world RIP Patrick you will be missed, thoughts to Lisa and his family and friends.

This still makes me laugh

http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g3...kSwayze-Ch.flv

God this is so hard to deal with.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

I thought this was well written. Made me cry again!

LOS ANGELES – Patrick Swayze personified a particular kind of masculine grace both on and off screen, from his roles in films like "Dirty Dancing" and "Ghost" to the way he carried himself in his long fight with pancreatic cancer. Swayze died from the illness on Monday in Los Angeles, his publicist said. He was 57.
    "Patrick Swayze passed away peacefully today with family at his side after facing the challenges of his illness for the last 20 months," Annett Wolf said in a statement Monday evening. She declined to give details.
    Fans of the actor were saddened to learn in March 2008 that Swayze was suffering from an especially deadly form of cancer. He continued working despite the diagnosis, putting together a memoir with his wife and shooting "The Beast," an A&E drama series for which he had already made the pilot.
    Swayze said he chose not to use painkillers while making "The Beast" because they would have taken the edge off his performance. The show drew a respectable 1.3 million viewers when the 13 episodes ran this year, but A&E said it reluctantly decided not to renew it for a second season.
    When he first went public with the illness, some reports gave him only weeks to live, but his doctor said his situation was "considerably more optimistic" than that. Swayze acknowledged that time might be running out given the grim nature of the disease.
    "I'd say five years is pretty wishful thinking," Swayze told ABC's Barbara Walters in early 2009. "Two years seems likely if you're going to believe statistics. I want to last until they find a cure, which means I'd better get a fire under it."
    And that's exactly what he did. In February, Swayze wrote an op-ed piece in the Washington Post titled, "I'm Battling Cancer. How About Some Help, Congress?" in which he urged senators and representatives to vote for the maximum funding for the National Institutes of Health to fight cancer as part of the economic stimulus package.
    He also appeared in the September 2008 live television event "Stand Up to Cancer," where he pleaded: "I keep dreaming of a future, a future with a long and healthy life, a life not lived in the shadow of cancer, but in the light. ... I dream that the word `cure' will no longer be followed by the words `is impossible.'"
    Celebrities and fans inspired by Swayze's struggle poured out their condolences, including C. Thomas Howell, who costarred with Swayze in "The Outsiders," "Grandview U.S.A." and "Red Dawn."
    "I have always had a special place in my heart for Patrick," he said. "While I was fortunate enough to work with him in three films, it was our passion for horses that forged a friendship between us that I treasure to this day."
    Others used Twitter to express their sadness, and "Dirty Dancing" was a top trending topic Monday night, trailed by other Swayze films.
    Demi Moore, who played Swayze's fiancee in "Ghost," wrote: "Patrick you are loved by so many and your light will forever shine in all of our lives." Moore's husband, Ashton Kutcher, tweeted: "RIP P Swayze" and linked to a YouTube clip of the actor poking fun at himself in a classic "Saturday Night Live" sketch, in which he played a wannabe Chippendales dancer alongside the corpulent — and frighteningly shirtless — Chris Farley.
    Larry King wrote: "Patrick Swayze was a wonderful actor & a terrific guy. He put his heart in everything. He was an extraordinary fighter in his battle w Cancer." King added that he'd do a tribute to Swayze on his CNN program Tuesday night.
    A three-time Golden Globe nominee, Swayze became a star with his performance as the misunderstood bad boy Johnny Castle in "Dirty Dancing." As the son of a choreographer who began his career in musical theater, he seemed a natural to play the role.
    A coming-of-age romance starring Jennifer Grey as an idealistic young woman on vacation with her family and Swayze as the Catskills resort's sexy (and much older) dance instructor, the film made use of both his grace on his feet and his muscular physique.
    It became an international phenomenon in the summer of 1987, spawning albums, an Oscar-winning hit song in "(I've Had) the Time of My Life," stage productions and a sequel, 2004's "Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights," in which he made a cameo.
    Swayze performed and co-wrote a song on the soundtrack, the ballad "She's Like the Wind," inspired by his wife, Lisa Niemi. The film also gave him the chance to utter the now-classic line, "Nobody puts Baby in a corner."
    Swayze followed up with the 1989 action flick "Road House," in which he played a bouncer at a rowdy bar. But it was his performance in 1990's "Ghost" that showed his vulnerable, sensitive side. He starred as a murdered man trying to communicate with his fiancee, with great frustration and longing, through a psychic played by Whoopi Goldberg.
    "Ghost" provided yet another indelible musical moment: Swayze and Moore sensually molding pottery together to the strains of the Righteous Brothers' "Unchained Melody." It also earned a best-picture nomination and a supporting-actress Oscar for Goldberg, who said she wouldn't have won if it weren't for Swayze.
    "When I won my Academy Award, the only person I really thanked was Patrick," Goldberg said in March 2008 on the ABC daytime talk show "The View."
    Swayze himself earned three Golden Globe nominations, for "Dirty Dancing," "Ghost" and 1995's "To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar," which allowed him to toy with his masculine image. The role called for him to play a drag queen on a cross-country road trip alongside Wesley Snipes and John Leguizamo.
    His heartthrob status almost kept him from being considered for the role of Vida Boheme.
    "I couldn't get seen on it because everyone viewed me as terminally heterosexually masculine-macho," he told The Associated Press then. But he transformed himself so completely that when his screen test was sent to Steven Spielberg, whose Amblin pictures produced "To Wong Foo," the director didn't recognize him.
    Among his earlier films, Swayze was part of the star-studded lineup in Francis Ford Coppola's 1983 adaptation of S.E. Hinton's novel "The Outsiders," alongside Rob Lowe, Tom Cruise, Matt Dillon, Ralph Macchio, Emilio Estevez and Diane Lane. Other '80s films included "Red Dawn," "Grandview U.S.A." and "Youngblood," once more with Lowe, as Canadian hockey teammates.
    In the '90s, he made such eclectic films as "Point Break" (1991) in which he played the leader of a band of bank-robbing surfers, and the family Western "Tall Tale" (1995) in which he starred as Pecos Bill. He appeared on the cover of People magazine as its "Sexiest Man Alive" in 1991, but his career tapered off toward the end of the 1990s, when he went to rehab for alcohol abuse. In 2001, he appeared in the cult favorite "Donnie Darko," and in 2003 he returned to the New York stage with "Chicago"; 2006 found him in the musical "Guys and Dolls" in London.
    Swayze was born in 1952 in Houston, the son of Jesse Swayze and choreographer Patsy Swayze, whose films include "Urban Cowboy."
    He played football but also was drawn to dance and theater, performing with the Feld, Joffrey and Harkness Ballets and appearing on Broadway as Danny Zuko in "Grease." He turned to acting in 1978 after a series of injuries.
    Within a couple years of moving to Los Angeles, he made his debut in the roller-disco movie "Skatetown, U.S.A." The eclectic cast included Scott Baio, Flip Wilson, Maureen McCormack and Billy Barty.
    Off-screen, he was an avid conservationist who was moved by his time in Africa to shine a light on "man's greed and absolute unwillingness to operate according to Mother Nature's laws," he told the AP in 2004.
    Swayze was married since 1975 to Niemi, a fellow dancer who took lessons with his mother; they met when he was 19 and she was 15. A licensed pilot, Niemi would fly her husband from Los Angeles to Northern California for treatment at Stanford University Medical Center.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Was in two of the best films ever - Dirty Dancing and Ghost - what a legacy.

Love you Patrick - RIP.

Snudgie Guest
    Gutted....just finished watching Dirty Dancing....bawled my eyes out...RIP Patrick...thank you for being so amazing...xxx

Hey guys I just downloaded "She's like the Wind." I keep forgetting he sang that. If anyone wants it just PM me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

halogirl5 Guest
    You know you're a hag when people text message you saying 'So and so died!'. Not a fan, but a sad death to a horrible disease.

Forever-27 Guest
    He was a poor actor. Nothing speical about his " talent " his films were drool and boring to no end. But he died of a horrible sickness. I have an uncle whose dying from this very same illness. A horrible way to go

Nicki Guest

Perdi Guest
    I am still kinda shocked by it!! I remember when Patrick was diagnosed, a friend of mine at work and I were talking about how terrible it was and how Patrick was our first crush etc etc.

That same friend was tragically killed in a car accident on Sunday, and now Patrick has gone too. I like to think that Patrick knew she had been taken WAY too soon (she was only 28) and went to dance her through the pearly gates! She would have SO loved that!!!!

SarahThirteen Guest
    My mom made me cry last night. ... she said

"Patrick is in heaven now with your Uncle Mel, Mel can thank Patrick his self now"

Ohh god did I lose it...

Although I knew what the outcome was going to be I was not ready to lose my favorite actor after losing my uncle two weeks ago also to pancreatic cancer......

Not enough is done for this form of cancer. I was watching Anderson Cooper last night he said more than 35,000 people will die this year from pancreatic cancer there is only a 4% chance of survival... 4!! I seriously think they need to do tons of studies on whatever treatment Patrick was getting cuz if he made it 20 months when most are lucky to see 6 maybe we are closer to a cure with what he was using.

Quote Originally Posted by Perdi View Post
    I am still kinda shocked by it!! I remember when Patrick was diagnosed, a friend of mine at work and I were talking about how terrible it was and how Patrick was our first crush etc etc.

That same friend was tragically killed in a car accident on Sunday, and now Patrick has gone too. I like to think that Patrick knew she had been taken WAY too soon (she was only 28) and went to dance her through the pearly gates! She would have SO loved that!!!!
    So sorry about your friend, Perdi. What a rough week you are having. Nice idea though...Patrick and her dancing into heaven.

Here's a cool Time Magazine pictorial:

http://www.time.com/time/photogaller...923243,00.html

Broomfield,Colorado. Originally from Meriden, CT.
    " I hope you never lose your sense of wonder.
    You get your fill to eat, but always keep that hunger.
    May you never take a single breath for granted.
    God forbid love ever leaves you empty handed.
    May you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean.
    Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens.
    Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance.
    When you get the choice to sit it out or dance,
    I hope you dance."

RIP, Patrick. You were a man of strength, grace, determination and sensitivity. Such a rare combination these days!
    "So many faces in and out of my life. Some will last, some will just be now and then. Life is a series of Hellos and Goodbyes, I'm afraid it's time for Goodbye again. "

[quote="What Tha....?";920321RIP, Patrick. You were a man of strength, grace, determination and sensitivity. Such a rare combination these days![/quote]

Not to mention, extremely easy on the eyes. Oh yes, how about loyal and committed to his wife of 34 years. Just thought I would add that.

Reecy Guest
    He fought a huge fight. I had to respect Patrick. Too bad this dreaded "C" took him from us. Rest in peace beautiful Patirck.

Quote Originally Posted by Shejay View Post
    Poem from The Outsiders:
    Nature's first green is gold, Her hardest hue to hold.Her early leaf's a flower; But only so an hour. Then leaf subsides to leaf. So Eden sank to grief, So dawn goes down to day. Nothing gold can stay. -- Robert Frost

"It means your gold when your a kid, like green. Everything is new, dawn. Its only when you grow up that you get used to everything. Like the way you dig sunsets Pony, thats gold. Keep it that way. Its a good way to be.
    "Stay Gold Patrick" !! RIP! My hometown Texas boy!
    "Seize.....upon the moment long ago.....one breath away and there you will be......so young and carefree....."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el3Zm...eature=related
    Last edited by tamiele; 09-15-2009 at 03:28 PM.

Meli Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by "What Tha....?" View Post
    I hope you dance."

RIP, Patrick. You were a man of strength, grace, determination and sensitivity. Such a rare combination these days!

Perfect song for Patrick! Am I the only Hag ODing on Patrick's movies today?

ksol Guest
    RIP Patrick, You will be truly missed

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Oh man.

He was such a class act.

RIP Patrick.

Maybe he'll take Bea Arthur for a twirl? Or do the Chippendales tryout with Chris Farley and make everyone laugh?

John carpenter Guest

R.I.P. Patrick

Name:  8f0149b6e8e639a8.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  3.8 KB

knothere Guest
    R.I.P.

we are gonna miss u

disco Guest
    Patrick taught me to dance. rip

***diana*** Guest
    Very sad. My mom is dying and all of my childhood idols are dropping like flies. I think I'll go hide under a rock now.
    I used to watch Dirty Dancing every day for a while when I was a kid (mom eventually hid the tape!). RIP Patrick.

Heavenly Tiger Guest
    Rip Sir. My brother was named Patrick because my mom thought you were awesome. I do too. Condolences to the family.

Patience54 Guest
    "Nature's first green is gold, Her hardest hue to hold
    Her early leaf's a flower; But only so an hour. Then leaf subsides to leaf.
    So Eden sank to grief, So dawn goes down to day.

Nothing gold can stay."

Robert Frost

RIP Patrick.

SarahThirteen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by "What Tha....?" View Post
    I hope you dance."

that made me cry!

Elizabeth Guest
    Patrick was one class act.....he was strong and *human* and I will miss seeing him on the screen....but at least he is at peace now....

Quote Originally Posted by Sanddodger View Post
    Rip Sir. My brother was named Patrick because my mom thought you were awesome. I do too. Condolences to the family.
    Didn't realize it until I read your post, but my son's name is Patrick. We didn't name him after Patrick Swayze, but one of the selling points of choosing that name was because we never met a Patrick we didn't like... Patrick Swayze included.
    Any day above ground is a good day.

41. 09-15-2009, 10:49 PM

WendyK Guest
    I will still always think he was a HOT man! He made me fall in love when I was 8 during the Dirty Dancing era! RIP

slinky Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ***diana*** View Post
    Very sad. My mom is dying and all of my childhood idols are dropping like flies. I think I'll go hide under a rock now.
    I used to watch Dirty Dancing every day for a while when I was a kid (mom eventually hid the tape!). RIP Patrick.
    Sorry about your Mom.

x

sablegsd Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ***diana*** View Post

I'm sorry that your mom is dying.

Just watched Dirty Dancing on Dutch television yesterday night. He was just great in that movie. That scene in which Baby says "Dance with me", is still so hot!
    Some people just need a high five.... in the face.... with a chair...

Pryncis Guest
    I've been sitting here reading all these posts, tears streaming down my face. It really feels like one of my friends have died. Celebrity deaths have never really affected me but this one is just killing me. I saw what it did to my mom and it was horrific. She was diagnosed stage 4 if I am not mistaken. She was diagnosed May 2002 and passed away November 25th, 2003. She fought hard for 18 months. She lost her hair from chemo and proudly wore wigs. She loved the fact she could have a new hair style everyday if she wanted. She lost so much weight and joked that she wanted to lose weight but didn't want to get cancer to do it! She prayed for a cure as we all did, but alas it was not to be. She passed away with her mom and my sister Lynn by her side, in her father's bed. We lost Mom and both of her parents in two years time. My step dad lost his battle with it a year ago this past June and is burried in Arlington National Cemetary. It took my 3rd grade teacher before the school year ended in 1988 and claimed the life of one of my favorite teachers, and mother of a highschool classmate, this past March. This disease is particularly horrible. I know cancer of any type is terrible, but this one litterally kills you little by little. You aren't able to digest food becasue your pancreas (and usually liver too) are not making the enzymes needed for digestion. Mom had to take special pills that provided that enzyme so she could eat. She went on two chemotherapy studies, one when she was first diagnosed and another when her body stopped responding to the first set. Us kids were there to take her to different appointments and to chemo. We sat there, and watched as they froze her portacath so the injection needle could be inserted. She sat there like it was just a trip to the beauty salon, putting her feet up, reading a magazine or watching a move. There were good days and bad of course, but I never heard my mother complain. Yes she'd say she was sore or her stomach was upset, but I never saw her get angry at the disease that she knew would take her. After 16 months of treatment the doctors confirmed her fears. There was nothing else they could do. Her body was no longer strong enough to take chemo and would just not respond to treatment. She ended chemo at the end of September 2003 and was active, even going to walmart for candy on Halloween. A few days later she moved into her mother's house as she knew the end was near. Her father passed away in the VA nursing home September 2002 and her mother wasn't there. My Mammaw also missed the death of her mother my mere minutes and my mom didn't want to die in a hospital. She went to mammaw becasue she wanted her momma and wanted her momma to be there for her, like she wanted to. She gave my Mammaw the gift of being there when she came into this world and the gift of being there when her flame was exstinguished. My mammaw passed six months later. She was a shell of a woman she once was. To look at her you would have never known what she looked like before she got sick. I have the last picture taken of her with us kids, about a week before she died. I can't bear to look at it.

I tell all of you this story because I know you will understand and appreciate it. I also tell you this story because I consider you friends. As a friend, I am telling you to always tell your loved ones that you love them. Listen to the stories of your elders. Be a good friend and good neighbor. Love as you want to be loved and the rest will fall into place. Don't wait for someone to get sick before you tell them you love them or to help them only because they are sick. Don't take pitty on them. Help them with kind heartfelt words and actions. Be giving of your time, because in the end that's all we, as humans, really have.

I can't say I knew Patrick Sawyze, but I knew what he was facing. It's a very private battle and if he was able to do it on his terms, then it makes his passing, well, a little more tolerable, but nonetheless still sad. I truly feel like I have lost a family member all over again. I watched his movies a million times and if I had ever met him I knew I would have always had a friend. I'm thankful his fight is over. Now his spark can live on through his amazing work, both on and off screen. His friends and family can begin the healing process that I know will take a long time. I truly hope he's at peace and that his legacy lives on.

Sorry, this was so long, I didn't mean to hijack the thread, but when I get really passionate about something, I usually can't stop typing...

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Linnythepooh View Post
    Just watched Dirty Dancing on Dutch television yesterday night. He was just great in that movie. That scene in which Baby says "Dance with me", is still so hot!
    You think THAT was hot..get the anniversary edition dvd and watch the deleted scenes...there is another version of their "dance" that is downright close to porn, they were clothed but shouldn't have been, pretty saucy stuff!

Duke Six Guest
    So much positive and VERY LITTLE negative. Patrick, You did it right and I will miss you. At the end you lived life on your terms and with that, dignity is all there is. We can all hope for eternal life but the legacy and the courage shown in your final days should inspire all....

I hope they rerun that SNL episode that he hosted back in the 90s. I'll probably be teary-eyed through the whole thing...from crying AND laughing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here one day, Gone one night, Gone too soon...
    Missing you forever...

Pryncis Guest
    You think THAT was hot..get the anniversary edition dvd and watch the deleted scenes...there is another version of their "dance" that is downright close to porn, they were clothed but shouldn't have been, pretty saucy stuff!
    I just posted that video clip on my Facebook page. It was HOT HOT HOT!!! Makes me wish MY name was Baby!

You really made me curious!
    Some people just need a high five.... in the face.... with a chair...