Thread: Jose Diaz - Sleepy Lagoon Reservoir, CA

Jose Diaz - Sleepy Lagoon Reservoir, CA

On August 2, 1942, Jose Diaz is murdered, and his body is found at the Sleepy Lagoon reservoir, near Los Angeles, California. Two days later, police began to round up and arrest 22 men of Mexican descent in the Los Angeles area for conspiring to kill Diaz. Despite a lack of evidence, the 22 men were eventually prosecuted for beating Diaz to death. The trial and subsequent convictions characterized a period of racial prejudice and injustice in Los Angeles during World War II.

Media coverage surrounding the trial was particularly troubling. The Los Angeles Examiner referred to young Mexican Americans as hoodlums A captain from the Los Angeles Sheriff's office told a grand jury that Mexicans had a "biological tendency" to be violent since they were descendants of Indian tribes who practiced human sacrifice. He went on to say that they had a "total disregard for human life" and an inbred "desire to use a knife or some lethal weapon. In other words, [a Mexican's] desire is to kill, or at least, let blood. "

Despite the concerted efforts of a defense committee that had been put together by liberal activists and Hollywood actors, 17 of the accused were convicted and 12 were sent to San Quentin prison.

Over the course of the following year, hostility between Caucasians and Hispanics became so inflamed by the press, police, and city officials that the so-called "zoot suit riots" broke out the next summer. Allegedly, about a dozen sailors had been attacked by a group of Mexicans wearing zoot suits-long coats with exaggerated shoulder pads and loose pleated pants. On June 3, 1943, 50 Navy sailors responded to the assault by combing the streets in cabs, stopping to beat anyone wearing the popular Hispanic outfit. By the next day, hundreds more sailors had joined in the hunt. These unprovoked attacks continued for several days. On June 7, The Los Angeles Examiner reported that Mexicans would be out to retaliate, causing a civilian panic. The following day, the Los Angeles City Council passed an ordinance that made wearing a zoot suit a misdemeanor.

Finally, on June 8, U.S. military commanders restricted military personnel to their bases in Los Angeles, and the turmoil ended. A court of appeals eventually overturned the convictions of all 12 of the defendants in the Sleepy Lagoon case, and they were released after two years in prison.

Here's a pic of the late Mr. Diaz.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RubySlippers Guest
    my thesis was about this story.

Two things stike me about this situation --

One -- LA made it a misdemeanor to wear a Zoot Suit. I wonder if this ordinance is still on the books. I am too lazy to go look right now.

Two -- The blatant racism against Hispanics. Honestly, I thought this type of racism was limited to the current era and was mainly a result of the immigration debate. It amazes me that this type of racism has been going on for years.

RubySlippers Guest
    I would think not. The ordinance was passed because the zoot suits were considered a nuisance - mainly because the huge populations of military on leave in So. Cal. saw the outfits as anti-american and it caused a lot of friction and fighting among the two groups.

the situation with the riots stemmed from the mexican-american wars where the united states took the land from mexicans who had been in california for generations and deemed it the US, not mexico. mexicans therefor had not actually immigrated - they were actually forced out or remained on the land. the "zoot suit" wearing mexican americans were 2nd generation. they were then treated as second rate citizens - placed in ghettos or "barrios" and on curfews that kept them off the streets. they were allowed to go out at certain times to certain areas.
    Last edited by RubySlippers; 08-02-2009 at 03:33 PM.

Thanks, Ruby. Interesting info regarding the riots.

Did they ever find out who really committed the murder? And why?

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RubySlippers View Post
    I would think not. The ordinance was passed because the zoot suits were considered a nuisance - mainly because the huge populations of military on leave in So. Cal. saw the outfits as anti-american and it caused a lot of friction and fighting among the two groups.

the situation with the riots stemmed from the mexican-american wars where the united states took the land from mexicans who had been in california for generations and deemed it the US, not mexico. mexicans therefor had not actually immigrated - they were actually forced out or remained on the land. the "zoot suit" wearing mexican americans were 2nd generation. they were then treated as second rate citizens - placed in ghettos or "barrios" and on curfews that kept them off the streets. they were allowed to go out at certain times to certain areas.
    This is amazing to hear. My brothers who are years and years older then I am wore those suits in the 20's while living in Chicago, Zootsuits were all the rage there and I have photos of men wearing them. I wonder why they were just considered a Hispanic thing in LA and not anywhere else??

RubySlippers Guest
    it remains "officially" unsolved. some of the boys arrested and later released were thought to be part of it, but there were two young men who were identified by witnesses but never questioned.

the initial thought was jealousy - a girl was the subject of some of the confrontation but he was robbed too. just stupid kids.

Quote Originally Posted by RubySlippers View Post
    it remains "officially" unsolved. some of the boys arrested and later released were thought to be part of it, but there were two young men who were identified by witnesses but never questioned.

the initial thought was jealousy - a girl was the subject of some of the confrontation but he was robbed too. just stupid kids.
    Thank you, ma'am.

RubySlippers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    Thank you, ma'am.

You are so very welcome, Love.

RubySlippers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    This is amazing to hear. My brothers who are years and years older then I am wore those suits in the 20's while living in Chicago, Zootsuits were all the rage there and I have photos of men wearing them. I wonder why they were just considered a Hispanic thing in LA and not anywhere else??

they were first seen in Speak Easy bars and underground clubs worn by african americans. latinos - also a highly segregated and frequently the subject of racist discrimination - found it a natural place to gravitate, socialize, and eventually start dressing the african americans they hung out with. Zoot Suits were also found in NY and FL, where there were high concentrations of Latinos, but it was the L.A. area which gained the most exposure and news since there was also a high concentration of servicemen. no doubt there were so called "Zoot Suit Riots" in NY & FL too.

Vintage_Vixen Guest

Sleepy Lagoon Murder

The 68th aniversary of the Sleepy Lagoon Murder is coming up on Monday, so I thought I would post about it -
    Sleepy Lagoon Murder is what the media chose to call the murder of Jose Diaz, whose body was found on Williams Ranch near the lagoon (near the city of Maywood) in south east LA on August 2, 1942. The murder led to the unjust arrest and 1942 criminal trial of 21 young latino men. The convictions were overturned on appeal in 1944.
    From what I have read, the defendants were not allowed to change out of their zoot suits during the trial by order of the judge as he wanted the jurors to see them in clothes that were "obviously" worn only by "hoodlums". The murder and trial sparked the Zoot Suit Riots of 1943, between white sailors & marines and latino youth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8106735_1069361711.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	28781  

orionova Guest
    Who knew such a cool song hid such a sad and sordid story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IqH3uliwJY