Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebrities who died while working or at the peak of their fame

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    Bette Davis walked off of the Wicked Stepmother, which was her last film, but I don't think she croaked for at least a year. The replaced her with Barbara Carrera and wrote in that she was a witch and had caste a spell on herself to appear younger. No, really, someone got paid for that idea.

stephenmiller Guest
    Redd Foxx-"I'm coming, Elizabeth" wasn't funny that day!
    I still miss ol' Redd!

Guest Guest
    production was unfortunately finished but what about Vic Marrow and those kids? I couldn't help but see the image of what happened over and over again during that scene.

John Candy during Wagons East

4. 11-13-2007, 04:18 PM

wow, that's right, I'd forgotten about about Natalie Wood and Brainstorm......that movie was so weird because it was about life after death....freaky

Kathyf Guest
    me too. Thanks Jaynefan

newsocks Guest
    the little girl from POLTERGEIST!

Well.. it was between movies- but the movies were series and they died in the middle of the series-

Richard Harris was playing Dumbledore in the Harry Potter movies- made it through 2 before passing.

I can't remember her name- but she was in the Matrix movies- she played the black woman that Keanu Reeves character visits. She died between the second and third.

Jon Erik Hexum *sigh*- he was my first major movie star crush. Loved him in Voyagers. (Now when is THAT going to come out on DVD?)

Edited to add- Ooops! never mind...
    http://www.amazon.com/Voyagers-Compl.../dp/B000PFUAN2
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

Kathyf Guest
    I think it was the Carmen Sandieo lady- Lynne Thigpen she died of a cerebral hemorage at 54. I remember that was sad.

Nowereman Guest
    Gary Holden - Auf Wiedersehen Pet

Kathyf Guest
    looks like a cool show.

Nowereman Guest
    If you ever get a chance to watch it, it'll be the funniest thing you'll ever see

Kathyf Guest
    would it be on here in the USA or computer?

SquirrelNutZipper Guest
    Bill Bixby died while directing an episode of Blossom.

Nowereman Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathyf View Post
    would it be on here in the USA or computer?

I think you would have to find the DVD's, maybe you could watch it on the computer if could find a host. If you find one let me know will yeah

Gorey Guest
    Tiny Tim died during a charity show, suffered a fatal heart attack and fell off the stage, dies on the way to or at the hospital

heat123 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by seamuskaxen View Post
    Tommy Cooper, at least according to my dad who´s a big fan.
    Tommy Cooper died on stage at the London Palladium 15 April 1984, he died of a heart attack, the audience thought it was in the act, until during the tv break, someone asked if there was a doctor in the house, he told his agent before he went on, he had planned a big finish to his act, you can't get any bigger than that.

Overtaxed Guest
    Irene Ryan (Granny) had a stroke while performing Pippin onstage, but she didn't die onstage.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by emeslovesheppy View Post
    I think both Bruce and Brandon Lee died while shooting movies. Can someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Wasn't Brandon shooting a movie called "The Crow?" Or something like that!
    Bruce Lee was asleep on a couch when he died! He was in the middle of shooting a movie but wasn't filming at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by JGrier View Post
    Kevin Smith. Not the "Clerks" guy, he played Aries on Hercules & Xena. Fell from a balcony and died filming a movie.
    OMGawd, I didn't know that!
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by emeslovesheppy View Post
    I think both Bruce and Brandon Lee died while shooting movies. Can someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Wasn't Brandon shooting a movie called "The Crow?" Or something like that!
    Brandon Lee died when a .44 Magnum lead tip ripped through his lower right quadrant during filming of The Crow.

Bruce Lee did not die while filming a movie. He died of brain edema in the apartment of Betty Ping Pai. He had gone there to discuss her possible role in Game of Death and when he complained of a headache, she gave him a super asperin. He laid down, went to sleep, and never woke up.

However, if you want to get extremely technical with it, since he was in Betty's apartment discussing her possible role in Game of Death, you could say he died while working.
    Last edited by cindyt; 02-14-2008 at 01:57 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    Bruce Lee was asleep on a couch when he died! He was in the middle of shooting a movie but wasn't filming at the time.
    Bruce Lee was asleep in bed at Betty Ping Pai's apartment when he died. He was not making a movie at the time of his death. He had just wrapped Enter the Dragon and was doing a bit of casting and pondering a story line for Game of Death.

However, if you want to get extremely technical with it, since he was in Betty's apartment discussing her possible role in Game of Death, you could say he died while working.

Actually, he almost did most def die while working three months before his death. He was in the studio dubbing Enter the Dragon when he became very sick and hauled off to the bathroom, where he collapsed, and went into a coma. But because help was called in time he came out of it. Doctors believed he was allergic to a chemical in hashish (which he had a habit of knawing on and eating mixed with cookies and brownies) and they warned him not to do it again. Well, he did anyway. On July 20, 1973, he had another spell, and many people believe he would have survived had Betty called for help instead of calling Raymond Chow first, and even Chow waited a long time to call for help.
    Last edited by cindyt; 02-14-2008 at 01:57 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Flowergrrl Guest
    Bruce Lee died when Game Of Death was being filmed, not during filming. His fight scene footage, that he completed, is in the movie. The story was changed around to include the main character's staged death... And, Lee's actual funeral and casket are in the movie. Kind of creepy.

http://www.neatorama.com/2007/04/16/...vie-ever-made/
    Last edited by Flowergrrl; 02-14-2008 at 02:07 PM.

cherryghost Guest
    All the drummers from Spinal Tap died while imploding onstage

cherryghost Guest
    I keep expecting to hear a fanfare band each time I post now Im renowned !!!

Or at least fireworks.I should work out how to arrange that!

Reecy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MissieMaam View Post
    Oh, yeah -- that was creepy. She was dancing -- or trying to -- and was beginning to stumble. She was SO beautiful -- it's a shame she was always done up in those ridiculous costumes.
    I have always heard about this but I've never seen it. Now I'm really curious. I loved Carmen Miranda.

Quote Originally Posted by ozgirl View Post
    Divine

I think that DIVINE died in his hotel room.
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Bruce Lee was asleep in bed at Betty Ping Pai's apartment when he died. He was not making a movie at the time of his death. He had just wrapped Enter the Dragon and was doing a bit of casting and pondering a story line for Game of Death.

Actually, he almost did most def die while working three months before his death. He was in the studio dubbing Enter the Dragon when he became very sick and hauled off to the bathroom, where he collapsed, and went into a coma. But because help was called in time he came out of it. Doctors believed he was allergic to a chemical in hashish (which he had a habit of knawing on and eating mixed with cookies and brownies) and they warned him not to do it again. Well, he did anyway. On July 20, 1973, he had another spell, and many people believe he would have survived had Betty called for help instead of calling Raymond Chow first, and even Chow waited a long time to call for help.
    I hear him and Betty were having an affair? Any truth to that?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    I hear him and Betty were having an affair? Any truth to that?
    Lots of rumors about Bruce and Betty, and Bruce's affairs. No evidence. Well, Linda's second husband Tom Bleecker, in his book, Unsettled Matters, claimed Bruce had affairs, but he also said a lot of other stuff that I know isn't true, so I don't believe anything he says. Ditto Davis Miller in his book The Tao of Bruce Lee. Not a single woman has ever come forward and said "I slept with Bruce Lee." (Betty became pregnant some years after Bruce died and claimed her baby was Bruce Lee incarnated.) What I do know is that in an interview with a member of my forum, Bob Wall (Bruce's friend and actor in three of his movies) said that he didn't believe Bruce cheated on Linda. He said "Bruce luuuuved Linda," she was his rock. The bottom line: I don't know and refuse to believe it untill it is proven.

(I have Bleeker's Unsettled Matters in my computer files, and would be glad to PM it to you or anyone else's interested in reading it.)
    Last edited by cindyt; 02-15-2008 at 04:30 AM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post
    I think that DIVINE died in his hotel room.
    And you would be correct.

On March 7th, 1988, Divy was in Los Angeles staying in the Regency Hotel, located at 7940 Hollywood Boulevard. Here's the layout of the hotel and the front entrance. Apparently it has turned into an apartment building now, and you too can live there. He was in town to film his first episode of Married…With Children. The night before he was due on set, he had dinner with friends. Afterward, he returned to the hotel. Before entering room number 261 he leaned over the balcony and sang "Arrivederci Roma" to his friends. This was at 6pm.

Divine was notorious for being on time, when working (except @ the Nectarine Ballroom, I guess). When he didn’t show up the next morning for his shoot on the show, people became very concerned. His manager Bernard Jay went to the hotel at noon to check on Divine, and used his passkey to get in. That’s when he found him. Dead, nude, and covered with a blanket. He died in his sleep of heart failure. He was 42 years old.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

ShatteredMirror Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavros View Post
    (I find myself guiltily amused at this.)

Edith Webster (died 22 November 1986)
    After singing several choruses of "Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone" during a performance of The Drunkard, this 60-year-old actress collapsed on stage for her scripted death scene and suffered an unscripted fatal heart attack. She was pronounced dead at the hospital.

That's taking Method Acting a little too far, no?

don't_axe_me Guest
    Betty Ping Pai...I love saying that out loud (assuming "Pai" is pronounced like "pie") But I'm getting weird looks here at work.

Mamma Guest
    This sorta counts, kinda like Bruse Lee? Heather O'Rourke (Carole Anne from Poltergeist) was in the midst of shooting Poltergeist III when she became ill and it progressed to surgery in which she died. Wikiedia says Poltergeist III had to use body doubles for her character after her passing. River Phoenix was in the midst of shooting Dark Blood when he died of an overdose. I *think* Dark Blood is the correct title, and it was never released to my knowledge. There was also a guy who committed suicide while the sitcom 'Evening Shade' (?) was being filmed, with Brook Shields.

So the cameras weren't exactly rolling when these deaths occured, but technically they were still "working" in the midst of a film when they died. Gotta contribute something on this thread, I'm stumped .

And yes, Redd Foxx. That one always gets to me. Brandon Lee as well, the guy was just goofing around. Vic Morrow and chiuldren, absolutely. To this day I have never watched that clip . Good to see this thread still churning !

don't_axe_me Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamma View Post
    There was also a guy who committed suicide while the sitcom 'Evening Shade' (?) was being filmed, with Brook Shields.
    You mean "Suddenly Susan"? "Evening Shade was with Burt Reynolds, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamma View Post
    This sorta counts, kinda like Bruse Lee? Heather O'Rourke (Carole Anne from Poltergeist) was in the midst of shooting Poltergeist III when she became ill and it progressed to surgery in which she died. Wikiedia says Poltergeist III had to use body doubles for her character after her passing. River Phoenix was in the midst of shooting Dark Blood when he died of an overdose. I *think* Dark Blood is the correct title, and it was never released to my knowledge. There was also a guy who committed suicide while the sitcom 'Evening Shade' (?) was being filmed, with Brook Shields.

So the cameras weren't exactly rolling when these deaths occured, but technically they were still "working" in the midst of a film when they died. Gotta contribute something on this thread, I'm stumped .

And yes, Redd Foxx. That one always gets to me. Brandon Lee as well, the guy was just goofing around. Vic Morrow and chiuldren, absolutely. To this day I have never watched that clip . Good to see this thread still churning !
    That was Suddenly Susan with Brooke Shields, don't remember the suicide's name. (Evening Shade was Burt Reynolds.)

Mama, . Sorry, but it was Jon Erik Hexim who was goofing around, not Brandon Lee.
    Last edited by cindyt; 02-15-2008 at 06:22 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by Ratgrrl View Post
    Bruce Lee died when Game Of Death was being filmed, not during filming. His fight scene footage, that he completed, is in the movie. The story was changed around to include the main character's staged death... And, Lee's actual funeral and casket are in the movie. Kind of creepy.

http://www.neatorama.com/2007/04/16/...vie-ever-made/
    Actually here's the deal. The idea for Game of Death came along before Enter the Dragon. Bruce filmed the GOD fight scenes and then shelved them when ETD came along because ETD was to be partially backed by Warner Brothers, which would spring him into Hollywood. So after ETD wrapped, Bruce went back to GOD, but died before any more filming could be done, so only the shelved fight scenes existed. So producers came up with a story line, cobbling Bruce's image from his other movies and hiring a look a like. The only scenes Bruce Lee appears in are those fight scenes, just about 14 minutes of tape, according to Brandon.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Flowergrrl Guest
    So after ETD wrapped, Bruce went back to GOD, but died before any more filming could be done, so only the shelved fight scenes existed. So producers came up with a story line, cobbling Bruce's image from his other movies and hiring a look a like. The only scenes Bruce Lee appears in are those fight scenes, just about 14 minutes of tape...
    Aaah. I remember the funeral scene (I was all about Bruce Lee so yes, I HAVE actually watched it even given the circumstances) and I never knew/remembered that was real footage of his funeral until now.

It makes me want to see it again just to watch that part. Have you seen it? It's a shame people are so money hungry to attach his name to it.

Just to add, I think the worst death was Vic Morrow because not only did he die but so did those two little children. And in watching their death scene it looks so horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratgrrl View Post
    Aaah. I remember the funeral scene (I was all about Bruce Lee so yes, I HAVE actually watched it even given the circumstances) and I never knew/remembered that was real footage of his funeral until now.

It makes me want to see it again just to watch that part. Have you seen it? It's a shame people are so money hungry to attach his name to it.

Just to add, I think the worst death was Vic Morrow because not only did he die but so did those two little children. And in watching their death scene it looks so horrible.
    I tried to watch GOD but couldn't get into it, and I don't giving it another try, since it really wasn't one of Bruce's movies.

But I agree, Vic Morrow and those kids, Brandon Lee, death by studio is the worse.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

But I agree, Vic Morrow and those kids, Brandon Lee, death by studio is the worse.
    Just knowing how they died in the studio give me chills. It's a little bit worse than dying or collapsing on stage, but it's all sad no matter how you look at it.

This video clip is just gut-wrenching:

http://youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=djVBzrucNLY

Cary Grant was doing a small tour of question/answers and had a heart attack during one of those shows. Not sure if he died on the way to the hospital or not

Jazbabee Guest
    John Erik Hexum

Hexum died after shooting himself in the head with a prop gun loaded with blanks on the set of the CBS series Cover Up, a program about a pair of fashion photographers/models who were actually secret agents. Hexum, who played a weapons expert, was said to constantly be playing with the guns as if they were toys and once angered Jennifer O'Neill so much that she chastised him on-set for his carelessness.[5]
    On October 12, 1984, after finishing a scene in which he fired several blank rounds from a .44 Magnum revolver, Hexum's character was supposed to unload the gun and reload it with inert dummy rounds, which was required for the next scene in the script—a procedure with which Jon-Erik was not familiar, and which was usually done by the prop masters. The shooting of the next scene was delayed several times. While waiting for the prop masters to unload the blanks from the gun, Hexum jokingly put the gun up to his temple and allegedly said,
    "Let's see if I get myself with this one." Hexum apparently did not realize that blanks use paper or plastic wadding to seal gun powder into the shell, and that this wadding is propelled out of the barrel of the gun with enough force to cause severe injury or death if the weapon is fired within a few inches of the body, especially if pointed at a particularly vulnerable spot, such as the temple or the eye. Although the paper wadding in the blank that Hexum discharged did not penetrate his skull,[6] the wad struck him in the temple with enough blunt force trauma to shatter a quarter-sized piece of his skull and propel the pieces into his brain.
    According to a crew member on the set:
    "Jon smiled and pulled the trigger. There was a loud bang and a bright flash, then black smoke. Jon screamed in agony, then looked kind of amazed as he slumped back onto the bed with blood streaming from a severe head wound. It was horrible." Hexum's assistant ran to him and wrapped his head in a towel. An ambulance was called, but before it could arrive, Hexum slipped into a coma, prompting crew members to carry him to one of the studio's station wagons and drive him to Beverly Hills Medical Center. Hexum went into surgery as his family and girlfriend, actress Elizabeth Daily, were notified of his condition. Initially he was listed as being in "serious" condition, but after five hours of surgery, doctors changed the condition to "critical". Hexum was intubated and connected to a respirator, and lingered for six days before doctors pronounced him brain dead. With his mother's permission, Hexum was flown to San Francisco and taken off life support so that his organs could be donated.[7]

leevancleef Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowmantaz1 View Post
    John Candy...I think they were still filming "Wagons East" when they found him in his hotel room. If i am wrong, dont sue lol
    He died in his sleep from a massive heart attack. He was not "actually"working at the moment.

leevancleef Guest
    i believe that PETER FINCH was working with director Sidney Lumet when he died from a heart attack in 1977.

undertaker Guest
    Dale Earnhardt, and since today is the Daytona 500 he dies 7 years ago.

undertaker Guest
    Nelson Rockefeller in rather unusual circumstances. Allegedly in the middle of a tryst with his 26 year old aid. ( he was in his 70's at the time ) Figure politicians are screwing somebody at any given time.

IncrediblyRotten Guest

Anthony Burger

Died while performing on the MS Zuiderdam, playing his piano. He was only 44 years old.

Auntie Vi Guest
    I always thought Devine died of sleep apena

River Phoenix - died while working on "Silent Tongue" but was not actually working at time of death
    Heath Ledger - same deal, different movie obviously

Maybe those don't count??

(I can think of non-celebs, though, like that baseball umpire who keeled over while yelling at a fan, and the British Airways pilot who died in flight [that one was pretty recent]. I'm always keeping track of weirdo death stuff like that. Guess I'm in good company here.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Curly Howard did not die while working. He did have a massive stroke while working on a short called HALF WITS HOLLIDAY, when he strangely disappears at the end and is not involved in the ensuing pie fight. Curly had to quit the Stooges but did do a cameo in a later film and it is very evident he is paralyzed on one side. They tried to have Curly play a cook in the film MALICE IN THE PALACE, but Curly was too far gone and the footage was ditched. Curly had several more strokes until he died in 1952.

Around a year before Curly left the Stooges, Curly had a stroke and if you see teh dozen or so films made after that you can hardly tell he's Curly. He looks like Shemp with a shaved head and could no longer do his falsetto. He just drags himself around eschewing any physical gags and it is heartbreaking to see.
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

jimmy's One Guest
    Gene Pitney whie on tour in his hotel room

death hag dee Guest
    That was Suddenly Susan with Brooke Shields, don't remember the suicide's name. (Evening Shade was Burt Reynolds.)

Mama, . Sorry, but it was Jon Erik Hexim who was goofing around, not Brandon Lee.

David Strickland was his name