Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Walter Cronkite

that old horndog!! lmao

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post
    I learned something new about Uncle Walter tonight....in late 2005, months after the death of his wife of nearly 65 yrs. he began "keeping company" with opera singer Joanna Simon (Carly's older sister). I'm uplifted by this knowledge....he was 89 at the time!
    DJ how cool is that? Good for him! Thanks for posting that happy little tidbit!
    regards,
    Mary

kimmer927 Guest
    A true icon to the Broadcast World!

Rest In Peace Mr. Cronkite...

A very sad day indeed...

Quote Originally Posted by Alanwench View Post
    The bitter irony is that we're stuck with Larry King as a prominent broadcast journalist.
    The only contemporary journalist that I can think of who could measure up was Peter Jennings...and he's gone.

Cronkite signs off nov 25/1963, after the JFK funeral:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjsjS7cWsMk

TheMysterian Guest
    God rest his soul,he was the voice of reason in such turbulent times!

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanwench View Post
    The bitter irony is that we're stuck with Larry King as a prominent broadcast journalist.
    Yeah, and Katie Couric is in "Walter's chair"...what a slide.

Not unexpected but sad none the less. Thinking back over the years and the historical events that I saw that man report. Wow. What a legacy.

R.I.P. Mr. Cronkite.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

RoRo Guest
    Gosh I just loved Walter...he WAS news to me...I wasn't born when Kennedy was shot but whenever I saw the old clips of him announcing that JFK had died I was just overwhelmed by his honest emotions.....God Bless him

Frazzzld Kat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Demgirl View Post
    RIP Uncle Walter. Such a trustworthy, professional journalist. There aren't many like him today.
    I couldn't agree more! He lived a good long life with a career he can be proud of! R.I.P. Walter Cronkite

cubbiecatz Guest
    I'm going to miss him and his eyebrows.

RaRaRamona Guest
    I knew it was possible any day but I am still sad to hear it. I agree with everything that's been said, he was honest & a good man.

reading Walters' bio on wiki,to further prove the talking heads' contention everything is stuck together,Dan Rather was head of CBS news in Dallas,11/22/63.
    Knowlege Comes With Deaths release

Heaven's on the pillow,it's Silence competes with Hell

"If you don't go to other peoples' funerals,they won't come to yours."-Yogi Berra

STsFirstmate Guest
    I think it is fitting that he passed so close to the anniversary of the moon landing. It was one of his finest moments. They have been playing promos for a documentary of the updated To the Moon. Walter is doing the voice over in the promo.
    Regards,
    Mary

gracehatter Guest

Unhappy Walter Cronkite dies at 92

News legend Cronkite dies

Walter Cronkite, TV news anchor for nearly two decades, passes away at 92. ยป'Most trusted man in America'

Dying Breath Guest
    He is the last TV anchor that I trusted what he was saying....he had his integrity and kept it.....

rickenbacker Guest
    Aw geez. I loved that guy. I was probably the only little kid who made it a point every night to watch the news with Walter. I don't think I've watched any network news since he retired. I miss when the nightly news was REPORTING. Too much fluff and opinion now. Hell of a run though, 92 years.

When I was about 2,3 years old, I was positive that CRONKITE (who bore a resemblance to my grandfather) was my grandfather. My mother said that she loved that because I'd spend a good half hour talking to the tv set while she made dinner !

KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

He was the one who told us that President Kennedy had died, and you could see the sadness as he tried to hide it. Rest in peace Walter Cronkite.
    Last edited by kingsolving; 07-17-2009 at 09:22 PM.

Merge. Already a 2-page thread in Other Deaths.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Dying Breath View Post
    He is the last TV anchor that I trusted what he was saying....he had his integrity and kept it.....
    I totally agree. He reported without "spin." The true meaning of news.

RIP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Roaming Tigress Guest
    Aw, RIP!

DJ's_Hub-Hag Guest
    I have been dreading the day when the news that the respected icon Walter Cronkite passed away--and today was that day. The CBS Evening News was always on in our house as I was growing up. I remember his coverage of the King & RFK assassinations in 1968, the moon landing in 1969, Watergate and all the other big news events of the 1970's.

I thought Cronkite was very a remarkable man and quite the distinguished, trustworthy gentleman. I also like that he was an easy-going pipe smoker--like I became.

He lived a long life and a good one but it's sad that such a remarkable man has passed away. Rest in peace Walter.

ZoeAnne Guest
    RIP Walter.....

pvezz Guest
    RIP, Mr. Cronkite.

radiojane Guest
    92 is a ripe old age, and I hope for the most part it was an awesome life. Another legend gone. RIP .

Khaos696 Guest
    RIP old man

orionova Guest
    Rest in peace, Mr. Cronkite. We miss you.

Respect. What an incredible man he was.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Wow, that was some huge-open-mouthed-but-totally-straight-bromance greeting. (爆)~RaRa

radiojane Guest
    I don't know if any of you Canadian Hags have CTV Newsnet (or whatever it's called now) on, but Lloyd Robertson's story on/ tribute to Cronkite is wonderfully done.

I feel like I did when Paul Harvey died. I hate to admit it, but when Lloyd Robertson goes, I will probably bawl.

MoonRabbit Guest
    On another board someone called him a quote: "lying piece of shit".

I wonder why?

burgtwngrl Guest
    An end of an Era... RIP Walter

Guest Guest
    Never heard of him!!

34. 07-18-2009, 07:47 AM

I thought he was dead already. RIP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lita Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    Cronkite signs off nov 25/1963, after the JFK funeral:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjsjS7cWsMk
    Somebody posted a 9 part series of Walter's coverage of the day JFK was shot. It starts out with a Niagara commercial and As the World Turns. I don't know if I'll watch all 9 parts back to back but as somebody whose parents were in high school when this happened and not remembering much about this remarkable newsman, I feel I have to watch some if not all of this. I also must find footage of him calling the moon landing.

Here's a link to part 1 of the JFK assassination coverage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMmq6...eature=related

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    The last of a dead--not dying--breed, an honest spin-free reporter. His voice, level head and gravitas got us through some crazy shit in the 60s.
    RIP Mr. Cronkite.

simon69 Guest
    Ok, gonna date myself on this death also. I remember sitting with my late grandmother watching Uncle Walter when he announced the passing of MLK and Bobby Kennedy and seeing the hurt in her eyes as she cried. Walter Cronkite was and always will be the most trusted man in America. He was the only man we watched at night in my household. I remember when he came on with a newsbreak announcing Elvis Had been found dead that morning also. We stayed glued to the set when the moon landing was taking place, exciting times in those days as my mother was in labor in the hospital ready to bring me a brother home. ( by the way today he turns 40! 7/18/1969. Happy birthday bro!) Anyway back to his passing, he lived a long life and will never be forgotten. R.I.P. Mr Cronkite. And that's the way it is and was for me....... until we meet again, goodnite sir and Godspeed to you!

Snoopy Guest
    God Speed Mr. Cronkite..such a classy gentleman..whenever I think of him I think of him delivering to the world the news about Kennedy being assasinated..he was a gem..RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Lita View Post
    Somebody posted a 9 part series of Walter's coverage of the day JFK was shot. It starts out with a Niagara commercial and As the World Turns. I don't know if I'll watch all 9 parts back to back but as somebody whose parents were in high school when this happened and not remembering much about this remarkable newsman, I feel I have to watch some if not all of this. I also must find footage of him calling the moon landing.

Here's a link to part 1 of the JFK assassination coverage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMmq6...eature=related

Cool links..I am watching the videos now. It really shows what it was like to watch TV in the early 60s also.

Cadence71 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Philliefan View Post
    Don Hewitt sounds drunk on CNN.
    Yes he does! lol

simon69 Guest

1968 King Assassination Report (CBS News)

pistolpete Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stacebabe View Post
    2009 is not the year for celebrities!

However, he certainly had a long and fulfilling life. RIP, WC.
    Sanjaya should scared...very scared!

Forever-27 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonRabbit View Post
    On another board someone called him a quote: "lying piece of shit".

I wonder why?

Best I can figure is since he worked for CBS which is part of the mainstream media , leans heavly democratic. News stories are maybe half right or important points get deleted all together.

As a general rule CBS, ABC, NBC , CNN , MSNBC and sometimes even Fox News all give biased news stories

Norma Desmond Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    Gosh I just loved Walter...he WAS news to me...I wasn't born when Kennedy was shot but whenever I saw the old clips of him announcing that JFK had died I was just overwhelmed by his honest emotions.....God Bless him
    Same here, I wasn't born yet but I've seen those clips so many times, it's like part of a national shared memory!

GrinReaper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lita View Post
    They have obits written for every famous person. Some of them have even been accidentally released before the person has died.

RIP, Sir.
    Yeah I've heard of that.
    I wonder if they had one ready to go for Michael Jackson. I kinda doubt it.

Rest in peace, Sir Walter Cronkite. You were the last of the true news achor icons and your loss is already being felt.

We who grew up with you (No, I'm too young to remember him except for replays of Kennedy's death) will miss you and can't wait to see you again someday.

92 years is a long life and I pray that you rest in peace for eternity
    "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's Heaven on Earth" - Mark Twain

Elizabeth Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post
    I learned something new about Uncle Walter tonight....in late 2005, months after the death of his wife of nearly 65 yrs. he began "keeping company" with opera singer Joanna Simon (Carly's older sister). I'm uplifted by this knowledge....he was 89 at the time! I'm glad he went for the prettier sister,
    "Keeping company"--love that expression!!! Very gentlemanly!! I like it much better than they were "hooking up"

Seriously, it always made me feel better that Uncle Walter was still out there....and up until last week he still narrated the words "The CBS Evening News With Katie Couric" to open up her show.....

RIP Walter.....you were a one of a kind....

tarsier Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by steve6 View Post
    You young un's cannot possibly conceive of what a big deal the space shots of the '60s were. The missions were dizzily dangerous and absolutely astonishing and full of breathless terror and suspense, and the nation essentially stopped for blastoff. In school, all classes ceased and every eye was on the tube, and it was always CBS, because Cronkite was so wonderfully and unabashedly excited by it all. A peerless cheerleader.

No baseball or football classic moment has ever been called like Cronkite calling a space shot.

I'm glad he had such a long and rewarding life. There will never be another like him. His breed is extinct, and his industry nearly so.
    Not that young i remember them and how hyped the adults acted I thought they were boring and missed them every chance I got. I spent Armstrong's lunar walk up in an apple tree with some comic books with no regrets.

tarsier Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by steve6 View Post
    You young un's cannot possibly conceive of what a big deal the space shots of the '60s were. The missions were dizzily dangerous and absolutely astonishing and full of breathless terror and suspense, and the nation essentially stopped for blastoff. In school, all classes ceased and every eye was on the tube, and it was always CBS, because Cronkite was so wonderfully and unabashedly excited by it all. A peerless cheerleader.

No baseball or football classic moment has ever been called like Cronkite calling a space shot.

I'm glad he had such a long and rewarding life. There will never be another like him. His breed is extinct, and his industry nearly so.