Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Alison Arngrim a Death Hag?

Quote Originally Posted by Sampiro View Post
    I can't recommend her book enough. It's not just a good LHOTP book or a good "former childstar memoir" book, it's a good book. She's funny as hell, she deals with things like her friend/ersatz husband's AIDS death and the sexual abuse by her brother without the least hint of self-pity, you understand how she loved and hated her parents (daddy was gay and a shameless self and daughter promoter, Mama was the voice of Casper the Ghost who not only didn't cook but couldn't pull back the foil from a TV dinner, and both were oblivious to their daughter's sexual abuse going on in their house and didn't feel the need to take her to the hospital when she broke her arm- yet they were also loving). She gives the perfect amount of dish (oh, okay, I'd love her to really let loose and tell all, but she gives a good amount- actually Melissa Sue is the only one who really gets more than a single barrel amount, though Melissa Gilbert's mom gets a load of buckshot as does the Greenbush mom [mother of the twins who played Carrie], but several others- Gilbert, Katherine "Mrs. Oleson" McGregor, Jonathan Gilbert, and others from the show seem like people you'd love to know.
    She also manages to write like she's talking to you, which if you've never tried it is very difficult, and she keeps in mind that if you didn't grow up on television then perhaps you may not know what latex pancake sponges or key grips are, so she explains it without being patronizing. You will also be looking for clips of LHOTP on YouTube to crossreference her story, and if you're like me the phrase "They look like they fuck like crazed weasels" will find its way into your parlance. I have a feeling she only lifted one or two of the petticoats in writing and I hope she writes more because I'd sure buy it.
    Thanks, I will check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I'm going to order the book. Love to hear her take on LHOTP after reading Melissa G's book. And I think Melissa Sue is writing one, too.
    I had to laugh reading your post Cindy-I recently read Melissa Gilbert's book, and ordered Alison's immediately afterward, too! Apparently, Melissa Sue's book is basically recapping various LHOTP episodes with very little personal info. It has a pretty poor rating on Amazon.

I LOVED Alison's book-that chick is a total survivor!

Rudy's Girl Guest
    I just read Alison's book and I loved it. I feel so bad though, for the things that she has had to go through. I love her honesty and humor!

I've now read all of the books written by The Little House girls. Both Melissa Gilbert and Alison go into detail about their issues with Melissa Sue Andersen, however Melissa Sue barely skims over any mention of her personal relationships with them.

Sampiro Guest
    You totally want to kneecap her brother after reading it. I loved what she said about the current status of their relationship though: there isn't one, and (I'm paraphrasing) "Nobody ever asks a mugging victim or a car wreck victim 'so how is your relationship with your mugger/the guy who ran over you these days'? THERE ISN'T ONE!"

Rudy's Girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sampiro View Post
    You totally want to kneecap her brother after reading it. I loved what she said about the current status of their relationship though: there isn't one, and (I'm paraphrasing) "Nobody ever asks a mugging victim or a car wreck victim 'so how is your relationship with your mugger/the guy who ran over you these days'? THERE ISN'T ONE!"
    OMG, that was so horrific what he did to her....and just looking at him on that website, knowing what he put her through. It makes me sick!

Rhonda Guest
    I just finished reading Allison's book and I highly recommend it. VERY funny and lots of good dirt. If you don't want to purchase it, just go to your library. I was IN LOVE with Underdog. I can't believe that her mom was the voice of Polly Purebred! ALSO, I would have to say that she definately in a Death Hag.

I've had her book requested at the library for 2 months now. I am up to #35 out of 127 holds!! I think when I first requested it there were 200 something requests for it. I can't wait!

Reecy Guest
    I like Alison....

silverwaif77 Guest
    Thanks for the great book recomendation hags!
    I checked it out from my library and read it in an afternoon. I thought her book was a hoot. I would love to see her standup performance. I was surprised to find out she is married, I always thought she was a lesbian. I do think she is one of us though.

Alison's husband Bob is a really nice guy. They both are. She was an activist for AIDS research since the 80's - when it was VERY uncool to do so.
    Hero Worship - They Deserve it. I preserve it.

Sampiro Guest
    Years and years ago there was a website (still is) that had a FAQ for Alison and you were invited to send in any questions you had. I wrote something to the effect of "Is it true that Alison will be playing a time traveling crime solving heroin addicted nun in a new sitcom this year?". Obviously this wasn't a rumor, I just made up the most ridiculous concept for a show that I could think of while typing it, and expected it to be ignored by whoever does the website and I only wrote it to--- well, no real reason actually.

Anyway, I was amazed when I got an email from Alison herself that said "Yes, it's in development. Melissa Gilbert plays my Mother Superior and methodone counselor and we kind of like the title MAKING TRACKS."

I also told her that she officially replaced Pem Farnsworth (widow of the inventor of television) as the coolest person I'd ever gotten an email from (Pem's was just "Thank you" but still, it was from Pem Freaking Farnsworth, then in her 90s and the first human being ever on TV) and she later wrote me back to tell me her husband worked with a grandson of Pem Farnsworth's, which I thought was hellacool that she remembered.

That's when I went from liking Alison to adding her to the list of women I would choose as consort if I'm ever catapulted to power. (She's not on the list of women I think I could beget an heir with but that's only because at our respective ages and because of the Zac Efron or Orlando Bloom mask she'd have to wear during the act of begetting I just don't think it would be pleasant for either of us.)

As I mentioned earlier on this thread (I think- I wrote a lot about it when it first came out on amazon and elsewhere) I don't just recommend her book for a good child-star memoir but as an unqualified 'damned good memoir'. She's on par with David Sedaris or Sarah Vowell and I hope she writes a lot more; anybody who can make you laugh in a story about being sexually abused by her brother has a talent they need to share (and can make lots and lots of money from).

I understand she has a contract for a follow up book

Sampiro Guest
    Maybe the next one will be a novel and include some Albert and Almanzo and Willie slash fiction- "LITTLE DAISY CHAIN ON THE PRAIRIE".

Yay I finally got my book from the library!

I finally got around to buying Alison's book "Confessions of a Prairie Bitch." What a hoot! She is funny and brilliant and a bitch. She said she met Melissa Gilbert the first time when the buck toothed kid walked into the makeup room or some such place. She described Melissa as being so tiny with the biggest set of teeth she'd ever seen. Said she could have tucked Melissa into her purse and Melissa would have had no trouble chewing her way out. Lmbo. If you haven't read it, do so. You can get it for about 16 bucks used on amazon.com. And use Scott's link, hear? LOL.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

luvmypeanut Guest
    I am about 3/4 of the way through her book and I highly recommend it! so honest and funny! A good read! I admit I was one of those who hated Nellie Oleson but I love Alison! She'd be a hoot to hang out with and have a few beers!

Alison told me (and I'll be honest, I don't have the book) that she had Melissa autograph the page in the book describing her first menstrual period, in red ink.

Tiger Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Michaels View Post
    Alison told me (and I'll be honest, I don't have the book) that she had Melissa autograph the page in the book describing her first menstrual period, in red ink.
    That is so cool Scott I haven't read her book yet. But, i would love to know what she thought of her TV mom & dad..A.K.A. Mr & Mrs. Olsen!

I've got both Alison and Melissa's books - both are really good. Alison goes way more into the Little House stuff than Melissa does. But Melissa's book is really good. Alison is also pretty blunt and upfront about the sexual abuse she suffered at the hands of her brother. She was really brave to have wrote it down in her book the way she did.

I've heard Melissa Sue Anderson's book (Mary from LH) is a very boring read and she barely mentions any LH dirt at all. Won't be wasting my time with that one!
    Last edited by Aries65; 11-30-2011 at 04:19 AM.

Alison's mom Norma MacMillan was also the voices of Caroline and John-John Kennedy on "The First Family" records, both aren't that difficult to find in thrift stores. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norma_MacMillan
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Mark of quality throughout the world...

luvmypeanut Guest
    She goes into what she thought of her LHOTP parents, she admired them both.

If Alyson does a book signing anywhere near you - GO! She dishes on Melissa Sue and talks pretty freely about everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    I've got both Alison and Melissa's books - both are really good. Alison goes way more into the Little House stuff than Melissa does. But Melissa's book is really good. Alison is also pretty blunt and upfront about the sexual abuse she suffered at the hands of her brother. She was really brave to have wrote it down in her book the way she did.

I've heard Melissa Sue Anderson's book (Mary from LH) is a very boring read and she barely mentions any LH dirt at all. Won't be wasting my time with that one!

luvmypeanut Guest
    She mentions my home town in the book....I will go the next she's there for sure!

I saw she was on Showbiz Tonight last night but fell asleep before she came on. She was discussing child actor sexual abuse in Hollywood.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Michaels View Post
    If Alyson does a book signing anywhere near you - GO! She dishes on Melissa Sue and talks pretty freely about everyone else.
    She dishes on her pretty hard in her book too!

wow, her book is a helluva read. i always admired her for the role of nellie, her honest/earthy/loving discussion of michael landon 'the man' not the myth, and most importantly her early work on behalf of aids victims. she comes across as real person.

BUT after reading the book i really stand in awe of her. and her brother has a lot to account for.
    get the book. i wish she did an audible version of it. if she does a follow up, i really hope she does an audible version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alison_Arngrim
    Delusion. Life's Best Coping Mechanism
    Check out Floyd's new Band:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHYA5iAAJg8

Friend of FAD and funny lady Alison Arngrim has a short interview (and some great mainstream exposure) on "The Yo Show" on Yahoo. Probably nothing her fans haven't heard before, but she's her usual energetic self and there are clips of some things fan have sent her, which she clearly appreciates:
    http://omg.yahoo.com/video/yo-nellie...090000433.html

Because of everyone's recommendation I just bought it for my Kindle. I loved LHOTP. I secretly wanted to be Nellie when I was growing up. I didn't realize she was wearing a wig until I was older.

JAWS1975 Guest
    Why all the hate for Melissa Sue? Looks like she's lived a really good life. God damn she was stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by JAWS1975 View Post
    Why all the hate for Melissa Sue? Looks like she's lived a really good life. God damn she was stunning.
    Yeah, she was! Still looks good. The prettiest blue eyes that could make a pre teen boy in the '70s fall in love big time! I'd never admit it to my friends growing up but I'd watching that show just to see Melissa Sue.
    - Chris

Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    That would be fun! I like her and follow her Tweets on Twitter.=)
    I just tried to find her on twitter, and it says she has been suspended? what gives?

I think the twitter might have been a fake. She does have a fan page on FB

I'm on her fanpage on Facebook and will probably be seeing her when she and Dean Butler come to Wisconsin for the Laura Ingalls Wilder days in July. I saw her there last year and she is a hoot!
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

The Twitter account I followed I got from her fan page so she does have one. I'll have to get Allison's book. Sounds great. I've been reading excerpts on Amazon. I read Melissa Gilbert's book and was disappointed in the lack of LHOTP dirt. It's a good read though. I knew she and Bruce got divorced but I didn't know she married Timothy Busfield until I saw it on her thread here. What a strange couple.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

35. 12-27-2017, 08:46 PM

36. 01-23-2019, 09:13 PM