Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lupe Velez

laynesgrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    At the risk of sounding like more of a freak than you already think I am, you know that I "have a connection" to those who have passed. From what I have been told by people who have killed themselves, they regret it the second they leave the body but they don't go to hell. God has mercy on those who just came back too soon but weren't ready. Look at the people who chose to do this: at one time they LOVED life and after awhile they just felt like they didn't fit in anymore; they wanted out. When they pass over, they basically "go to school" to learn what they should have gotten when they were here. What they do say is that they are always plagued with guilt so pray for them all the time. They hear it and it helps ease the guilt. Let them go and don't hang on to the memory of what they've done because they feel it all the time. Call me what you will, but just passing on what I've been told. Also, it's best to creamate the body of someone who has killed themselves..they are less apt to stay close to their body and move on quicker. But no, they don't go to hell. The hell they were living was all right here.
    I like that idealogy!! It makes me feel better about some of the people that I have known or wish I had known that chose "slow suicide" such as drugs or alcohol. It makes sense too!!

monroe62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by realtorjan View Post
    [SIZE=1]
    From the ElPaso Herald Post, Dec 15, 1944
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]found Lupe Velez' body "yesterday when she[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]went into the sumptuous silver and[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]white bedroom to draw the curtains,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]said' something in the little[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]actress' face arrested her attention.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]"I thought she was asleepā??she[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]looked so peaceful. But when I laid[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]my hand on her to see if she[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]wanted some breakfast 1 knew[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]something was wrong.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]"She was dead."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]Clothed in blue silk pajamas, her[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]body was found lying in the silksheeted[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]bed, her long hair tumbled[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]across a satin pillow slip. One[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]hand stretched towards a night[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]table on which was a phial which[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]had contained sleeping tablets, and[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]other sleeping tablets were found[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]scattered about the bed.
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]
    I'm sorry, but that sounds like scripted Hollywood tripe so that the public didn't know the real way Velez was found.

Surprised Louella Parsons didn't chime in with "and she never looked lovelier".

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeVelez View Post
    There was hardly a man in Hollywood at the time she didn't screw. Even "Ha cha cha" Jimmy Durante. Evidentally his nose wasn't the only large thing people were interested in.
    Wow she did Durante?

Never heard that before. Lupe was a very pretty lady from what I remember.

I also read that Gary Cooper's father used to crack up when Lupe lost
    her temper.

Sam Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hrhdiesel View Post
    She planned an extravagantly romantic death in true Hollywood fashion and surrounded her bed with flowers and candles. She put on her best gown and laid down to die. She could imagine the next day's front page, herself resplendent in her finery, a romantic sleeping beauty. Unfortunately, the spicy enchalada combo she'd had as her last meal didn't sit well with the cocktail of pills she'd swallowed and she had to lurch to the bathroom in a less than graceful dash and that's were they found her next day, expired with her head in the toilet bowl!.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    Yep....and to make matters worse, she puked out the drugs that she was trying to off herself with, and it was the puke that she slipped on when she jammed her head in the john, knocking herself out, thereby drowning in the toilet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie View Post
    Has anyone seen the pic of her in the coffin and her lover the babies daddy is looking in at her with a heartbroken look on his face? Its something. I would have just bit the bullet and had the baby..I mean its not like she was broke in Mexico living on the streets. I understand the stigma and all that she was facing ...but maybe she should have thought that one through before she started sleeping with married men.
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    I have never seen the picture of her in the casket, but I sure would like to if anyone has it!
    I seem to remember reading that they almost had to have a closed coffin at her funeral. The mortician had HELL trying to get all the toilet paper out of her hair!

Nope, VELEZ had an open coffin service. There are photographs around that show family members as well as some of HAROLD RAYMOND (sic) the man who she was allegedly impregnated by viewing her at the services. she was buried in white satin and holding a rosary.
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

Sam Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post
    Nope, VELEZ had an open coffin service. There are photographs around that show family members as well as some of HAROLD RAYMOND (sic) the man who she was allegedly impregnated by viewing her at the services. she was buried in white satin and holding a rosary.
    I knew that from seeing a photo in "Hollywood Babylon", she looked very pretty, but the toilet paper thing was the first thing I thought of over 20 years ago.
    I could picture her lying there all decked out and as people got close they could see little pieces of toilet tissue in her hair. I was just being silly!

ShockDoc Guest
    In several 'old Hwood' books her address is given as (if I remember correctly) on Laurel Cyn blvd, on the Valley side between Mullholland and Ventura blvd. Dont know if that was her death house or just one of her residences.

Pamebabby Guest
    She was so beautiful....what was the big deal about her being pregnant? Was it so horrible to have an illegitimate child then? I just don't understand why she went to such an extreme, it's so sad.

orionova Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamebabby View Post
    She was so beautiful....what was the big deal about her being pregnant? Was it so horrible to have an illegitimate child then? I just don't understand why she went to such an extreme, it's so sad.
    It really was considered something terrible to have a child out of wedlock, and Lupe wasn't the first woman to kill herself for it. The stigma was so great that death seemed like the better alternative.

Yes, it was that big a deal then.

John Connor Guest

She was a fun-loving whore but a Catholic one. Makes all the difference.

Lisamarie Guest
    lol I know right...how selfish I always think that just the grief on her mother face is so heartbreaking !!! I mean if you sleep around your gonna get knocked up at some point....did we ever find the pic of her dead in the bathroom?? I soo remeber seeing that pic..she is like laying on the floor by the toilet ????

Lisamarie Guest
    selfish in tha fact she was knocked up....thats what I meant...

monroe62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockDoc View Post
    In several 'old Hwood' books her address is given as (if I remember correctly) on Laurel Cyn blvd, on the Valley side between Mullholland and Ventura blvd. Dont know if that was her death house or just one of her residences.
    According to Schessler's "This is Hollywood", her address was 732 N. Rodeo Drive (cross road Lomitas).

Pamebabby Guest
    Aw, that just seems so senseless. She could have opted for an abortion, which I know is against Catholic beliefs. But so is suicide. Just tragic she couldn't pull it together, have the kid ala/ Loretta Young, and move on with her life. Thanks for all the answers, very informed people here!

Sam Guest
    lol I know right...how selfish I always think that just the grief on her mother face is so heartbreaking !!! I mean if you sleep around your gonna get knocked up at some point....did we ever find the pic of her dead in the bathroom?? I soo remeber seeing that pic..she is like laying on the floor by the toilet ????
    I thought they had a photo of her with her head hidden in her black onyx silent flush with only her torso and legs sticking out at a 90% angle? Heels and satin pumps in the air.
    She looked like she was doing a head stand.

ShockDoc Guest
    Like I said, the Laurel Cyn residence was 'a' residence, not necessarily the death residence. I'm sure she lived dozens of places during her career.

monroe62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I thought they had a photo of her with her head hidden in her black onyx silent flush with only her torso and legs sticking out at a 90% angle? Heels and satin pumps in the air.
    She looked like she was doing a head stand.
    Great visual.

A head stand in the head!

monroe62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockDoc View Post
    Like I said, the Laurel Cyn residence was 'a' residence, not necessarily the death residence. I'm sure she lived dozens of places during her career.
    All I did was supply the address and cross street of her last residence to add to, not correct, your comment.

Sorry if that insulted or offended you in some way. Not my intention at all.

Sam Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by monroe62 View Post
    Great visual.

A head stand in the head!
    I'm bad, I couldn't help myself.

Poor Lupe, she had such a beautiful death scene staged only to slip in her own vomit and land with her head in the toilet. With my luck, that sounds like something I'd do.

leevancleef Guest
    I found this excerpt of an article:

"Lupe Velez is best remembered for her suicide. It is perhaps the most vivid story in Kenneth Anger's sensational compendium of film scandals, Hollywood Babylon. In 1944, at the age of thirty-six, Velez found herself pregnant and jilted by the child's father, French actor Harald Ramond. Ramond agreed to marry her, but only if she signed a contract declaring that she understood he was consenting to marry her only to give a name to her child. Enraged, she called off the wedding. The Catholic Velez could not bear to have an abortion or a child out of wedlock, so she elected to take her own life instead. She audaciously covered her bed with roses and gardenias, lit every candle in her bedroom, put on a silver lame evening gown, and took an overdose of Seconal before lying down to die. The Seconal made her nauseous, however, and instead of drifting peacefully into an aesthetic slumber of death, Velez drowned while vomiting into the toilet.

It is an obnoxious anecdote to start the article with, certainly, but for those who are familiar with Velez's death the scenario colors her work in unexpected ways--ways that are better examined than ignored. Anger's narrative of her death participates in the logic of comedy--a melodrama gone awry, presumption deflated, elegance defiled. Charles Ramirez Berg points out that more people have probably heard of Lupe Velez through a joke about her death made in the pilot episode of the sitcom Frasier in 1993 than have ever seen one of her films (92). The death of Lupe Velez has also been the subject of an Andy Warhol film, Lupe (1965), starring Edie Sedgwick. Also treating the suicide as comedy, Warhol ends each sequence with a shot of Sedgwick's head stuck in a toilet. The only biography of Velez in English is Floyd Conner's Lupe Velez and Her Lovers, hardly an edifying tome, which boasts on the book jacket that its heroine "changed lovers as casually as one eats breakfast."

Lisamarie Guest
    I watched her in one of the spitfire films last night she was amazing!!!! Just her timing and her facial exspessions.....so talented .

I watched her in one of the spitfire films last night she was amazing!!!! Just her timing and her facial exspessions.....so talented .

EVA LONGORIA would be ideal as the lead should they ever make a film about her (VELEZ).

beatlebaby4 Guest
    I agree, Eva would be great in that role

cachluv Guest
    Just watched the Frasier episode again

They just mentioned her on a rerun of Frasier.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Quote Originally Posted by cachluv View Post
    Just watched the Frasier episode again
    Oops!
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    She was a fun-loving whore but a Catholic one. Makes all the difference.
    lol Nice. I just don't get that whole logic. If you're (generally speaking) so religious, why even have sex before you're married if you know it's a sin? It's like it's worse to have proof that you committed the sin (the baby) than to do it without getting caught so to speak. God knows so what the hell are you trying to hide? That's what pisses me off about old Loretta Young. There's nothing wrong with having a child out of wedlock. I think it's much worst to lie for years upon years just to save face. Living a lie is such a waste of time.

I know the era in which Lupe and Loretta lived was much different than it is now, but still. Think about the child and not yourself.
    "You live alone, creating your life as you go." - Edie Sedgwick

Sam Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post
    EVA LONGORIA would be ideal as the lead should they ever make a film about her (VELEZ).
    That would be cool, she is definitely someone who needs to be remembered and a movie about her life would be very interesting.

Its nice re-reading this thread....i wonder if she would have been remembered as much if the myth around her death was true. Lupe was a beauty... as well as a true diva... not like the wannabe's these days. Eva would be perfect for the role...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lisamarie Guest
    I was thinking watching her why not live you stupid broad ? And I kept thinking of that photo of her mother and sisters looking at her in the coffin crying and thinking would it have been that awful just to have the baby ? I mean the studio had covered up many more scandelouse things than a baby .....she was brilliant and beautiful and amazing comdian I mean she really had a talent !! She was in a class all her own...she could have carried on and been this amazing actess ....there were so many options and yet she took her own life....I wonder how far along she was ?? She knew it was a boy ......sad...very sad.

32. 09-02-2009, 10:55 AM

33. 09-02-2009, 10:55 AM

34. 09-02-2009, 10:56 AM

35. 09-02-2009, 10:57 AM

36. 09-02-2009, 10:57 AM

37. 09-02-2009, 10:58 AM

38. 09-02-2009, 10:58 AM

39. 09-02-2009, 10:59 AM

40. 09-02-2009, 10:59 AM

41. 09-02-2009, 11:00 AM

42. 09-02-2009, 11:01 AM

43. 09-02-2009, 11:01 AM

44. 09-02-2009, 11:02 AM

45. 09-02-2009, 11:03 AM

46. 09-02-2009, 11:03 AM

47. 09-02-2009, 11:04 AM

48. 09-02-2009, 11:04 AM

49. 09-02-2009, 11:05 AM

50. 09-02-2009, 11:06 AM

51. 09-02-2009, 11:06 AM

52. 09-02-2009, 11:07 AM

53. 09-02-2009, 11:07 AM

54. 09-02-2009, 11:10 AM

55. 09-02-2009, 11:11 AM

56. 09-02-2009, 11:12 AM

57. 09-02-2009, 11:12 AM

58. 09-02-2009, 11:13 AM

59. 09-02-2009, 11:13 AM

60. 09-02-2009, 11:14 AM

61. 09-02-2009, 11:14 AM

62. 09-02-2009, 11:15 AM

63. 09-02-2009, 11:16 AM

64. 09-02-2009, 11:16 AM

65. 09-02-2009, 11:17 AM

66. 09-02-2009, 11:18 AM

67. 09-02-2009, 11:18 AM

68. 09-02-2009, 11:19 AM

69. 09-02-2009, 11:20 AM

70. 09-02-2009, 11:21 AM

71. 09-02-2009, 11:22 AM

72. 09-02-2009, 11:22 AM

73. 09-02-2009, 11:23 AM

74. 09-02-2009, 11:24 AM

75. 09-02-2009, 11:25 AM

76. 09-02-2009, 11:25 AM

77. 09-02-2009, 11:26 AM

78. 09-02-2009, 11:26 AM

79. 09-02-2009, 11:27 AM

80. 09-02-2009, 11:27 AM

81. 09-02-2009, 11:28 AM

Northern Lights Guest
    Last edited by Northern Lights; 01-28-2010 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Deleted empty posts, pictures disappeared.

83. 09-02-2009, 11:29 AM

84. 09-02-2009, 11:30 AM

Dixie Girl Guest
    I have to say that out of all of those posed pictures, I like the picture of her playing cards best..almost as if they caught her in a rare unguarded moment.

Were they to do a bio-movie on LUPE,
    EVA LONGORIA would be great casting.

Reecy Guest
    I liked Lupe. So sad the way she died......... I like her in this picture. Question???? Have they ever made a movie about her life? If so who played her?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lupe.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	15770  

jmg Guest
    I saw one of your movies the other night a silent picture with estelle taylor you were so upbeat and beautiful. Sad the way your life ended I hope you found peace and happiness

GSBLTD Guest
    For those who want to see Lupe Velez in her casket, here you go! I scanned this directly from my old, worn copy of HOLLYWOOD BABYLON II {kenneth Anger actually wrote two volumes... I have first editions of both, as well as the new updated editions by Darwin Porter and Danforth Prince]. Here also is Lupe's suicide note to husand Harald Ramond. According to Anger [who should NOT be dismissed so casually as a mere rumor-monger], Lupe was knocked-up by Ramond who only agreed to marry her if Lupe would sign a document that the marriage was soley to give the baby a name. Lupe -a devout Catholic- went ballistic and called Louella Parsons to spill the refried beans. Anger quotes Louella Parsons as saying: "Lupe told me that she and Harald had one big battle and she told him to get out of her house. And when I asked her how the runt spelled his name, she told me, 'I don't kow. I never did know. Who cares?'"

The suicide account continues with Lupe's pencilled suicide note on a memo pad on the night table next to the spectacular funeral bier Lupe created for herself, replete with candles, flowers and everything Holy she had. The note read:

"To Harald,
    May God forgive you and
    forgive me, too but I prefer to take
    my life away and our baby's before I
    bring him with shame or killin him.
    LUPE

Then, on the back of the sheet, she pencilled an afterthought:

How could you, Harald, fake
    such a great love for me and our
    baby when all the time you
    didn't want us? I see no other way
    out for me so goodbye and good
    luck to you. Love,
    LUPE.

FADEOUT.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0002.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	381.2 KB 
ID:	40942>>> That's Harald Ramond pretending to be in mourning.
    Last edited by GSBLTD; 01-03-2012 at 08:38 AM.

Murphee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GSBLTD View Post
    For those who want to see Lupe Velez in her casket, here you go! I scanned this directly from my old, worn copy of HOLLYWOOD BABYLON II {kenneth Anger actually wrote two volumes... I have first editions of both, as well as the new updated editions by Darwin Porter and Danforth Prince]. Here also is Lupe's suicide note to husand Harald Ramond. According to Anger [who should NOT be dismissed so casually as a mere rumor-monger], Lupe was knocked-up by Ramond who only agreed to marry her if Lupe would sign a document that the marriage was soley to give the baby a name. Lupe -a devout Catholic- went ballistic and called Louella Parsons to spill the refried beans. Anger quotes Louella Parsons as saying: "Lupe told me that she and Harald had one big battle and she told him to get out of her house. And when I asked her how the runt spelled his name, she told me, 'I don't kow. I never did know. Who cares?'"

The suicide account continues with Lupe's pencilled suicide note on a memo pad on the night table next to the spectacular funeral bier Lupe created for herself, replete with candles, flowers and everything Holy she had. The note read:

"To Harald,
    May God forgive you and
    forgive me, too but I prefer to take
    my life away and our baby's before I
    bring him with shame or killin him.
    LUPE

Then, on the back of the sheet, she pencilled an afterthought:

How could you, Harald, fake
    such a great love for me and our
    baby when all the time you
    didn't want us? I see no other way
    out for me so goodbye and good
    luck to you. Love,
    LUPE.

FADEOUT.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0002.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	381.2 KB 
ID:	40942>>> That's Harald Ramond pretending to be in mourning.

She wasn't that beautiful or especially talented, sorry, just my opinion. She made a choice to screw around with some real losers.
    Last edited by Murphee; 01-05-2012 at 03:01 PM.

GSBLTD Guest
    I'd have to agree with you! Actually, I think she looked just a little slutty.

Wow! This pic looks as if it could have been taken yesterday...

Lisamarie Guest
    I just cant imagine the fear of the what comes next moment after you take your life..thats what has always held me back..is her home still standing?? I wonder if the Carol Lombard house is still standing as well...Lupe seemed like a bitch to me !!! Like that era JLO yeah know what I mean...and I have seen the photo of her dead before with her head in the toilet...its out there I just dont know where ..she isint doing a handstand she is at an odd angle like she fell asleep with her head resting inside the bowl and her body is curled around the toilet. All the stories about her being peaceful in her bad are false ...I saw the photo on one of those awesome hollywood death videos ..they also showed Albery Deckkler all naked and tied up in the tub..with the lip stick writing all over his body..he is like on his knees..very weird and haunting photo...poor stupid hooker Lupe..shit girl now days MTV would give you a show about it..

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletor View Post
    I might be wrong, but I recall reading in Hollywood Babylon that Lupe Velez had the remarkable ability to be able to swing her breasts in circles, one clockwise and one anti-clockwise both at the same time. A very talented lady obviously.
    I believe this is also mentioned in the book, "Movie Stars Do The Dumbest Things"

here is the Lone Ranger Clayton Moore with Lupe
    Delusion. Life's Best Coping Mechanism
    Check out Floyd's new Band:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHYA5iAAJg8

MoonRabbit Guest
    I read that Cary Cooper's father used to laugh his head off at Lupe's temper! She must have been something else when
    pissed off.

Interesting little article on the life and death of Lupe.

Warning Dead Pics!:

http://guy.com/2011/08/02/historys-vixens-lupe-velez/

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Interesting little article on the life and death of Lupe.

Warning Dead Pics!:

http://guy.com/2011/08/02/historys-vixens-lupe-velez/
    creepy they used photos of edie sedgwick looking dead on the toilet on that site.

Yeah. When you search for Lupe's dead pic on google, all sorts of weirdness pops up.

The dead pic is at attached to the cartoon at the end.

lisalouver Guest
    I think she was gorgeous and because of her death, remains frozen at that age, beautiful for eternity.

Didn't you use her pic as your av a fews years ago, Lisa?

I think she had a rather pixie-ish appearance with a dash of vamp thrown in.

Didn't you use her pic as your av a fews years ago, Lisa?

I think she had a rather pixie-ish appearance with a dash of vamp thrown in.