Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lupe Velez

Lupe Velez

Surely one of the best deaths ever...surprised no one posted about her on here!

A Hollywood actress, little known for her celluloid performances and who desperately wanted to be remembered. She decided if she could'nt be remembered for her films she'd settle for being remembered for her death.
    She planned an extravagantly romantic death in true Hollywood fashion and surrounded her bed with flowers and candles. She put on her best gown and laid down to die. She could imagine the next day's front page, herself resplendent in her finery, a romantic sleeping beauty. Unfortunately, the spicy enchalada combo she'd had as her last meal didn't sit well with the cocktail of pills she'd swallowed and she had to lurch to the bathroom in a less than graceful dash and that's were they found her next day, expired with her head in the toilet bowl!.

You might think this is not quite what she had in mind for her immortality, but you could say that things have a way of working out anyway for her.

Well, will you ever forget her now?

firegilnotguns Guest
    Ah yeah, I actually heard about her on an episode of Frasier.

harlow1137 Guest
    She was pregnant when she died, too.

Ron Burgundy Guest
    Yep....and to make matters worse, she puked out the drugs that she was trying to off herself with, and it was the puke that she slipped on when she jammed her head in the john, knocking herself out, thereby drowning in the toilet.

It was surmised that had she not drowned, she had ralphed enough of the secobarbital, that she would have lived.

Very bizarre.

Not Albert Dekker bizarre.....but close. LOL

I read somewhere that she didn't actually die like that - OD'd, yes - but not found with her head in the toilet. I think that was a Hollywood Babylon (the book) story that was disputed later.

ST Moron Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by soundqcar View Post
    Yep....and to make matters worse, she puked out the drugs that she was trying to off herself with, and it was the puke that she slipped on when she jammed her head in the john, knocking herself out, thereby drowning in the toilet.
    If that's true, that has to the saddest, stupidest death in the history of Hollywood.

And that's really saying something.

Quote Originally Posted by soundqcar View Post
    Very bizarre.

Not Albert Dekker bizarre.....but close. LOL
    Albert Dekker is quite in a class all by himself.

Quite.

erin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    I read somewhere that she didn't actually die like that - OD'd, yes - but not found with her head in the toilet. I think that was a Hollywood Babylon (the book) story that was disputed later.
    You are right. It was just a story in Hollywood Babylon. She died basically the way she wanted. And yes, she was pregnant, but NOT with her hubby's baby.

I didnt think she was married? Her lover was married but wouldnt leave his family to marry her...being religous she wouldnt dream of having an abortion or be a single unwed mother so instead decided to kill her self...which according to her religion was as bad...

erin Guest
    perhaps i am wrong, but i can swear that she was. hmmm, anyone know for sure? Scott?

I believe she was married to Johnny Weissmuller of Tarzan fame no?

erin Guest
    you know what?! that sounds righ to me. now i have to do some research or it's gonna drive me nuts. be back later!!!!

erin Guest
    Ok, so she was married to weissmuller at one time, but was divorced from him at the time of her death. i got this from IMDB:She married one of her lovers, Johnny Weissmuller, but that only lasted five years and was filled with battles. Lupe certainly did live up to her nickname. She had a failed romance with Gary Cooper, who never wanted to wed her. By 1943, her career was waning. She went to Mexico in the hopes of giving herself a jump start. She gained the best reviews yet in the Mexican version of NANA. Bolstered by that movie, Lupe returned to the US where she starred in her final film as Pepita Zorita in LADIES' DAY. There were to be no others. On December 13, 1944, tired of yet another failed romance with Harald Maresch and pregnant with his child, Lupe committed suicide with an overdose of Seconal. She was only 36 years old.

Thanks for clearing that up Erin - that was great research!

hoxharding Guest
    Wasn't she the Mexican Spitfire?

LupeVelez Guest

Lupe Velez

I love the fictionalized version of her death. Unfortunately Scott ruined the perfect vision I have always had about her suicide by telling me she actually did die in beautiful repose rather than drowning in a toilet bowl. I hate you Scott.

I'd always meant to look further into this one. Thanks for setting the record straight with your info folks.

RoRo Guest
    So sad but still better than drowning in a toilet!

LupeVelez Guest

Lupe was quite the slut

There was hardly a man in Hollywood at the time she didn't screw. Even "Ha cha cha" Jimmy Durante. Evidentally his nose wasn't the only large thing people were interested in.

Bigfoot Guest
    She died on her toilet? Well, def. she lived to the wanting to die with fragrances around(ewwww).

VegasVic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    She died on her toilet? Well, def. she lived to the wanting to die with fragrances around(ewwww).
    hehe....

Ron Burgundy Guest

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to poster LupeVelez!!!

Hope you have a great day!!
    Last edited by Ron Burgundy; 11-07-2007 at 10:06 AM.

Lupe Vélez (July 18, 1908December 13, 1944) was a Mexican American actress.

This who you speak of?

SuckMyKiss Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jason8478 View Post
    Lupe Vélez (July 18, 1908 â?? December 13, 1944) was a Mexican American actress.

This who you speak of?

I think it's the forum user LupeVelez who they mean. No?

Ron Burgundy Guest
    Lupe Vélez (July 18, 1908 â?? December 13, 1944) was a Mexican American actress.

This who you speak of?
    No, dear Jason. Our fellow poster....Lupe Velez.

I know the actress has left us.

ahhh.. don't remember Lupe. Happy Birthday to you anyway.

Danny62 Guest
    In the mid-1940s, she had a relationship with the married actor Harald Maresch, and became pregnant with his child. Maresch would not leave his wife, and Lupe, following her Catholic upbringing, refused to have an abortion. Unable to face the shame of giving birth to an Illegitimate child, she decided to take her own life. Her suicide note read, "To Harald, may God forgive you and forgive me too but I prefer to take my life away and our baby's before I bring him with shame or killing him, Lupe."
    She retired to bed after taking an overdose of secobarbital, but instead of sending her to sleep the drug upset her stomach, and she was actually found dead in her bathroom. According to fellow actress Irene Gibbons, Lupe drowned in the toilet.

Jul 18, 1908-Dec 13, 1944

Danny62 Guest
    ahhh.. don't remember Lupe. Happy Birthday to you anyway.
    I guess the person above isn't who we are talking about then?

Happy birthday Lupe, whichever one you are??

The birthday was kind of off!!

No Danny... I made the same (obvious) mistake.

Ron Burgundy Guest
    Danny, yeah...this is a Birthday thread. You'll see one everyday for our posters celebrating their B'day's! Just a little hello to them on their special day.

The Lupe Velez thread for the actress...is here: http://www.findadeath.com/forum/show...ght=Lupe+Velez

Noor 7ayaty Guest

Guest Guest
    Happy B-day, Now gimme cake.

different kind of girl Guest
    Happy Birthday to you!

lisalouver Guest

Lupe Velez - The Mexican Spifire

Hey Scott-

Just joined the board, but have been a hige fan of yours from way back when....I work as a Medical Examiners Ivestigator and as such death is a huge part of my life.

I am and always have been interested in the death of Lupe Velez...the Mexican Spitfire. She had previously been married to Tarzan, Johnny Weissmuller....in 1944 she was pregnant by actor Harald Maresch and he refused to marry her.

She took pills in an attempt to kill herself and left a note to Harald that she would rather die and take the baby with her then subject him to a life of shame. Now, I have heard versions that she was found in bed by her secretary, and another tale that she wanted to be found dead and be beautiful so she bathed, dressed in her finest lingerie and laid upon her bed after taking the pills. As we all know, death is not pretty and she soon found her body trying to rid itself of the pills and ran to the bathroom to vomit. She started to vomit and slipped in the vomit on the bathroom floor, fell, hit her head on the toliet and drowned in the toliet.

She sure was gorgeous, and I would love to know what really happened.
    Any chance you will do a story on her for the site or do you have any info?

Thanks and I love you to pieces!

Lisa

PS I'm the one who jumped the gate at MM's house back in 1996 when it was up for sale so I could get some pictures of the inside of it!

Danny62 Guest
    I hear during the love making sessions with Johnny she would literely make deep scratches in his back she got so into the sex!!!!

WoW!!!

Jaxxx Guest
    where you hear this stuff from, and now I'm just jealous, that's the kind of thing we're all looking for. Lisalouver, welcome, so you got some pictures from inside MM house, share what a neat thing to do.

Danny62 Guest
    Jaxxx I have read tons of Hollywood books about death, Murder and suicides. I just remember reading that in one of the books!

She had quite the hardy appetite for sex! I hear she wore Ole Johnny Weissmuller out!

lisalouver Guest
    Hey thanks for that link and the welcome guys! Maybe I should look farther back when I post!

I heard the tales of she and Johnny's lovemaking too. I bet she was wild in bed!

I think the toliet bowl thing is an urban legend that did come out of Anger's book, yea. Still, never have been able to find much on her.

Jaxxx, I will dig up the pics, they did not turn out as well as I wanted, because my heart was pounding so hard and I thought I was going to get caught at any minute. I will have to get them scanned to disc as they are 12 years old now. The current owners of MM's home bought it the month I was there jumping the fence for $900,000. I wanted to try the doorknobs but was afraid that an alarm would go off!

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    Hey thanks for that link and the welcome guys! Maybe I should look farther back when I post!

I heard the tales of she and Johnny's lovemaking too. I bet she was wild in bed!

I think the toliet bowl thing is an urban legend that did come out of Anger's book, yea. Still, never have been able to find much on her.

Jaxxx, I will dig up the pics, they did not turn out as well as I wanted, because my heart was pounding so hard and I thought I was going to get caught at any minute. I will have to get them scanned to disc as they are 12 years old now. The current owners of MM's home bought it the month I was there jumping the fence for $900,000. I wanted to try the doorknobs but was afraid that an alarm would go off!
    Scott would be proud! Sounds like he has done alot of that stuff as well!!

Welcome!!

Great story!!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    Jaxxx I have read tons of Hollywood books about death, Murder and suicides. I just remember reading that in one of the books!

She had quite the hardy appetite for sex! I hear she wore Ole Johnny Weissmuller out!
    Kenneth Anger's HOLLYWOOD BABYLON
    sounds like the source for that tale; the segment
    on LUPE mentions how the make-up men on the
    TARZAN pictures often had to use make-up on
    WEISMUELLER' "perfect pecs" & "Thor like throat"
    to cover up his wife's scratches.

djdeath-hag Guest
    Thanks, Kelt....as you can see (if you're reading this) I combined all 3 Lupe threads into one.
    Hag Hugs, Dennis

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post
    Kenneth Anger's HOLLYWOOD BABYLON
    sounds like the source for that tale; the segment
    on LUPE mentions how the make-up men on the
    TARZAN pictures often had to use make-up on
    WEISMUELLER' "perfect pecs" & "Thor like throat"
    to cover up his wife's scratches.

Yep I read that book, its been awhile! So I am just going from memory!!

Probably where I read it!!

Jaxxx Guest
    Thanks Dennis, that helps

Dennis- You're The Man !!

Lisamarie Guest
    Has anyone seen the pic of her in the coffin and her lover the babies daddy is looking in at her with a heartbroken look on his face? Its something. I would have just bit the bullet and had the baby..I mean its not like she was broke in Mexico living on the streets. I understand the stigma and all that she was facing ...but maybe she should have thought that one through before she started sleeping with married men.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie View Post
    Has anyone seen the pic of her in the coffin and her lover the babies daddy is looking in at her with a heartbroken look on his face? Its something. I would have just bit the bullet and had the baby..I mean its not like she was broke in Mexico living on the streets. I understand the stigma and all that she was facing ...but maybe she should have thought that one through before she started sleeping with married men.
    I have never read anything that said that Harald Maresch (the father of the baby) was married. I don't think he was. I believe that the reason she took her life is because he would not marry her and hence the baby would be "illegitimate" in the publics viewpoint.

BTW, ol Harald was blamed for her death by Hollywood and his career went into the toliet.

I have never seen the picture of her in the casket, but I sure would like to if anyone has it!

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    I have never read anything that said that Harald Maresch (the father of the baby) was married. I don't think he was. I believe that the reason she took her life is because he would not marry her and hence the baby would be "illegitimate" in the publics viewpoint.

BTW, ol Harald was blamed for her death by Hollywood and his career went into the toliet.

I have never seen the picture of her in the casket, but I sure would like to if anyone has it!
    I have seen the pic, I think it might be in the book Kelt is referring to above?

I lost my copy of it long ago!

I don't think you can see her real well, just more him leaning over the casket!

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    I have seen the pic, I think it might be in the book Kelt is referring to above?

I lost my copy of it long ago!

I don't think you can see her real well, just more him leaning over the casket!
    Ah Cripes, it's in Hollywood Babylon? I used to have a copy that was my parents, but mine is long gone too. Maybe I should try to get another one!

Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeofEvil View Post
    I believe she was married to Johnny Weissmuller of Tarzan fame no?
    I read that she killed herself because he was going to dump her, or something like that, in Hollywood Babylon. But, Scott is right about the Anger. He made alot of his info up.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

lisalouver Guest
    She was married (and divorced) to Weissmuller, yes.

The baby's father would not marry her is the general story.

And yea, on Anger!