Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 848555657
Results 2,801 to 2,847 of 2847

Thread: I Remember That!

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NewEnglander View Post
    Is Orange Julius (sp?) still around? I remember everybody walked around in the 80's w/ an Orange Julius. I haven't seen one in years, but the only place I ever saw them was at shopping malls. Our mall here in Concord doesn't have one (don't think it ever did since it was built sometime in the early 90s).
    Oh yeah. As far as I know they're still sold at the Texas State Fair...must have been a shortage the day Big Tex caught fire. Anyway, most Dairy Queens (no quips please) around here are selling them now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    Oh yeah. As far as I know they're still sold at the Texas State Fair...must have been a shortage the day Big Tex caught fire. Anyway, most Dairy Queens (no quips please) around here are selling them now.
    Thanks. I wasn't sure if the business had folded or not. Guess they are still around in Texas. I was never into them (maybe had a total of 3 during the entire 80's decade).
    Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

Bidmor Guest
    Thanks. I wasn't sure if the business had folded or not. Guess they are still around in Texas. I was never into them (maybe had a total of 3 during the entire 80's decade).
    Last time I was at the fair...around 25 years ago...I made a beeline for an Orange Julius, a Fletcher corny dog, and a Belgium waffle. Mmmmmm-uhmmmmm!

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    Speaking of, I saw on the news this morning that the voice of Big Tex was fired recently. They interviewed him and everything. He seemed like a nice old man.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Do mind the pedestrian, Richard."
    - Hyacinth Bucket

Mammy Guest
    I saw a Orange Julius at The Jefferson Mall in Louisville, Kentucky last Friday. I didn't know they were still around, although I have seen Dairy Queen selling them, like was already mentioned.

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MiraculousMandarin View Post
    Speaking of, I saw on the news this morning that the voice of Big Tex was fired recently. They interviewed him and everything. He seemed like a nice old man.
    More on Billy Bragg, former vocal embodiment of Big Tex:
    http://www.wfaa.com/news/texas-news/...200524041.html

Is Orange Julius (sp?) still around? I remember everybody walked around in the 80's w/ an Orange Julius. I haven't seen one in years, but the only place I ever saw them was at shopping malls. Our mall here in Concord doesn't have one (don't think it ever did since it was built sometime in the early 90s).
    If you search you can find the recipe for making an Orange Julius. It's been a long time since I made one but it was pretty spot on. I remember, crushed ice, milk and of course O.J.

Quote Originally Posted by john*thomas View Post
    If you search you can find the recipe for making an Orange Julius. It's been a long time since I made one but it was pretty spot on. I remember, crushed ice, milk and of course O.J.
    What about vodka? Is that part of the recipe?

We still have Orange Julius in the malls here and many of the Dairy Queens have OJ products in them as well. In fact just today I went by the DQ and their sign said they were now serving Orange Julius drinks. I was going to get, went to meet my friend and promptly forgot that I was going to get one until I was long gone from the area. I love the strawberry Julius with a half a banana added. Yummo!

I used to love Q.T. Hush who was a private eye and his dog Shamus, you can see it on Youtube.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Memories of the 1990s

Since there is already a thread about the 1980s, didn't see one for the 1990's when I did the search thing. If there is one please merge.

The things I remember from the 90s...

*The rise of Roseanne, Jerry Springer and "must see TV" on NBC and the end of Phil Donahue and Sally Jessie Raphael.

*Woodstock 94

*The Boy Bands such as N'Sync and The Backstreet Boys

*Tabitha Soren from MTV News...who helped to send Bill Clinton the the White House.

*When Chris Barron from the Spin Doctors was "picked" to be the voice of Generation X..picked by who, have NO Idea !!

*Dan Cortese was supposed to be one the biggest stars of the 90s thanks to MTV and those Burger King ads..by the late 90s it was "..Dan WHO ??"

*AOL and CompuServe for the net..oh yeah DIAL UP !!

*Thanks to his role in Independence Day, Will Smith made smoking cigars cool among the younger set...blunts were a different thing...

*Mark McGuire and Sammy Sosa trying to beat Roger Maris' single-season home run record.

*The Y2K scare

That's because that stuff has already been covered here. Same with the 60's, 70's and even the 50#s, 00's and such.

Wendy A. Guest
    I remember when music didn't suck and I wasn't afraid to turn on the radio in my car. Back in the days of Nirvana, AIC STP & Soundgarden and such... This Justin Beiber and Nicky Menawhateverthefuckhernameis... SUCKS!

Mammy Guest
    Ain't that the damn truth? All of the good singers are either 98 years old or dead.

When news people weren't scared to name names and places, Yes many still do but I am beginning to notice more and more news stores being written and broadcast such as this one,,,,

http://mycenturylink.com/news/read/c...boy_2_other-ap

..ah what is the name of that motel ?? Oh that's right..could be sued !! Earlier this year on the radio in my hometown a reporter was doing a story about a recent bank robbery. She wouldn't even mention the name of the bank in her report. I actually emailed her about this only to get a response from "Miss News" saying "..well you know..lawyers...lawsuits...I couldn't mention the name of the bank because I don't want to be sued..". OK but if the story is true just how does mentioning the name of the business where the crime had taken place would result in you being sued ?? UGH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mammy Guest
    I miss when news sources actually made sure the things they reported were true and had the correct details before going public. A good example of that is all of the craziness after the Sandy Hook shootings. The news at first claimed that Nancy Lanza was a teacher at the school where the shooting took place and had Adam misidentified as his brother Ryan for being the one doing the shooting. There was plenty of other errors about this shooting and practically any other big news story that they rush to air because they want to be first.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    I miss when news sources actually made sure the things they reported were true and had the correct details before going public. A good example of that is all of the craziness after the Sandy Hook shootings. The news at first claimed that Nancy Lanza was a teacher at the school where the shooting took place and had Adam misidentified as his brother Ryan for being the one doing the shooting. There was plenty of other errors about this shooting and practically any other big news story that they rush to air because they want to be first.
    Most of the news organizations will spend an entire day speculating about who did it, where they lived and the events that occured.

John Stewart had a funny montage of reporters when the police were in Watertown, MA trying to catch terrorist #2. They were ridiculous! "Tom, I hear a dog barking, something could be going on in the direction of the dog barking!" "Bill, I saw a police car go by! It was only one but something could be happening on the next street over!" I'll see if I can find the video and post it. It was too funny.

Mammy Guest
    They sure raked Ryan Lanza over the coals. I realize some of the blame for that is on Adam, but it wouldn't have hurt for them to have confirmed some details before running with it. For media to be so worried about lawsuits, they sure don't care to put something out there that has no truth to it whatsoever and some things are hard to take back after they've been proven wrong. You can't unring a bell.

Here's the video of Jon Stewart making fun of CNN's coverage of the Boston Bombing: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...nn-like-444641

This is what our media is like nowadays. Sad. They can't wait for the facts to come out.

Mammy Guest
    OMG, that was hilarious! I especially loved Jon's comments about the "canine dogs." I wonder if any of the CNN correspondents are embarrassed by their coverage, especially the woman who said the streets were eerie quiet "as if a bomb had gone off?" The news really is that pathetic sometimes, even local coverage as opposed to national coverage.

OMG, that was hilarious! I especially loved Jon's comments about the "canine dogs." I wonder if any of the CNN correspondents are embarrassed by their coverage, especially the woman who said the streets were eerie quiet "as if a bomb had gone off?" The news really is that pathetic sometimes, even local coverage as opposed to national coverage.
    It really is pathetic how news is covered nowadays. "I smell smoke! I definately smell smoke" LOL. Puleezzz. Our media is just a joke.

I remember when print media made sure their spelling and grammar were correct.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

It really is pathetic how news is covered nowadays. "I smell smoke! I definately smell smoke" LOL. Puleezzz. Our media is just a joke.
    I know right!! I wish they would focus more on being correct than being first.

Mammy Guest
    I smell smoke! She really nailed it, didn't she? I remember when print media was checked for spelling or grammar mistakes before being printed, too. Now it's almost a game to see how many mistakes I can find in each article. It's like a modern day seek and find.

25. 06-11-2013, 05:36 PM

For media to be so worried about lawsuits, they sure don't care to put something out there that has no truth to it whatsoever and some things are hard to take back after they've been proven wrong. You can't unring a bell.
    For the most part it is not so much the media who is scared of lawsuits but rather the reporters/anchors/disc jockies/writers/bloggers and so forth who are and usually it's those who are starting out in the biz such as that female reporter who refused to mention the name of the local bank that was robbed for the fear of being sued who really do fear such things. With so few ( and getting fewer ) jobs in the biz many who are starting out feel that just one mistake...FIRED and/or SUED and now back to working at 7-11 !! In her case she was still in college and was only 20 years old still though she should had known at least a little broadcast/legal 101 to know what can/can not trigger a lawsuit. I guess the broadcast schools of today don't bother to teach such things.

Got a hunch the writer of that motel story from the link I provided is between 18 and 23 years old and just starting out...but still...
    Last edited by choff; 06-11-2013 at 09:52 PM.

For those of us that can remember the 50's and 60's

Some great video and music.....This will really bring back some memories! http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v...eature=youtube
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Mcafgr View Post
    Some great video and music.....This will really bring back some memories! http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v...eature=youtube
    Well I'm a child of the 70s. But I love all the old time music.
    Of any Time.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

I remember more of that than I care to admit.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Love the 60s. I turned 13 in 1969, just two months almost exactly before the Tate/laBianca murders. Watched the night the Beatles were on Ed Sullivan, remember the day the Beatles and the Monkey's had a rock off on the radio. I remember each of the assassinations, the funerals, the fear and the sorrow. Bell bottom pants. Tent dresses, micro mini skirts. Go Go boots. Patty Hearst. SLA. LSD. The Mod Squad. Dark Shadows. The Beverly Hillbillies. Honey West. Green Hornet. Secret Agent Man. Get Smart. Lost in Space. Petticoat Junction. Moon landing. Janis, Jimi, Jim. And so many other memories.
    Last edited by cindyt; 08-20-2013 at 08:57 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I have been watching some of the old shows from the 50s and the 60s on ME TV. It takes me back. What a frightening, unstable, memorable, glorious, amazing time to come of age! All the changes we saw. When I began school women were expected to be happy with being a wife and a mommy and by the time I graduated we were expected to have it all. We burned our draft cards and our bras. We marched for civil rights and we marched for equal rights. We watched as our heroes and college students were gunned down and we had love-ins and Woodstock. I am so grateful to be a Boomer.
    I mean, they say you die twice.
    One time when you stop breathing and a second time, a bit later on, when somebody says your name for the last time.

Banksy

Late 60s.................................

Beer, weed, Hot Rods and Jungle Pam.

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Love the 60s. I turned 13 in 1969, just two months almost exactly before the Tate/laBianca murders. Watched the night the Beatles were on Ed Sullivan, remember the day the Beatles and the Monkey's had a rock off on the radio. I remember each of the assassinations, the funerals, the fear and the sorrow. Bell bottom pants. Tent dresses, micro mini skirts. Go Go boots. Patty Hearst. SLA. LSD. The Mod Squad. Dark Shadows. The Beverly Hillbillies. Honey West. Green Hornet. Secret Agent Man. Get Smart. Lost in Space. Petticoat Junction. Moon landing. Janis, Jimi, Jim. And so many other memories.
    Tang, The Avengers (re my avatar). The Untouchables, Kool-Aid, evaporative (swamp) coolers, ice-cream trucks, Kava instant coffee, Candid Camera, What's My Line, everyone on tv smoked, cigarette and cigar commercials, cable tv was new, wooden soft drink crates, sleeping with all the windows open, The Flintstones in prime-time, Jonny Quest, Clutch Cargo, Eskimo pies, silver dollars, $2 bills, Keds, Jackie Gleason Show from Miami Beach, Polaroid cameras, tube-type tires, Huckleberry Hound, Quick Draw McGraw, Matt & Miss Kitty & Chester, The Wild Wild West, FM stations played either classical or easy-listening, new LP's were sold in both mono and stereo versions (stereo was $1 more), huge combo console stereo's and tv's, a heavily used 100-watt light bulb would last about 12 months, dial table telephones which felt like they weighed 10 pounds, party-lines, only Cadillacs and Lincolns and Imperials had power windows, evaporative coolers for cars, transmission humps, under-dash after-market car air conditioners, Adam Cartwright, tube-type radios and tv's, rotary tv tuners with a fine adjustment knob, wing-window vents on car doors, electric ice cream makers, the NBC peacock, Let's Make A Deal, Continental Trailways bus line, Trust Your Car To The Man Who Wears The Star, the new fall tv line-up, "the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat", flip-flops were new, skinny neck ties with a tie bar, Brylcreem, Beeman's chewing gum, Salhepatica, safety razors, electric razors, Williams' Lectric Shave, pendent watches, the X radio stations on the Mexico border, digital mechanical clocks........
    Last edited by Bidmor; 08-22-2013 at 02:28 PM.

Pop Tarts (not the pastry). Heated--eh, Ich, ahahaha--frozen TV dinners that were Ew, espceially the pizza, which tasted like cardboard. Guys bleached their bangs and the top of their head. Barbie. I had one of the first dolls and many outfits; if I still had some of them they would be worth a lot of dough, but, nooooooo, Baby wrote all over them with mama's red lipstick. I also had a Ken and Midge. Might have had Alan, but don't remember. Fury. Rifleman. Batman. Dr. Kildare. General Hospital. One Life to Live. Paul Revere and the Raiders. Herman's Hermits. Shaji Khon. Indian Lake. The Popeye Club. Silly Putty. Slinky. Hula Hoops. Loafers with two inch heels--don't remember what they were called. The flip hairdo. Pillbox hats. Marilyn Monroe. Easy Rider.
    Last edited by cindyt; 08-22-2013 at 03:45 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Bidmor Guest
    Counter checks, Mr. Bubble, motor oil in cardboard cans, trading stamps, aluminum Christmas trees with rotating color lamp, clip-on ties...bow and ribbon, Superman, The Wonderful World Of Disney, Lassie, Sky King, Sea Hunt, Flipper, Lipton instant tea, Laugh-In, ice trays, freeze Kool-Aid with a toothpick in each compartment of an ice tray, Bluebonnet margarine, Good Seasons powdered salad dressing and a shaker bottle, powdered chip dip (mix with sour cream), fountain pen cartridges, tv stations signing off at midnight with the National Anthem, tv test patterns, tv stations signing on at 6 am with the National Anthem and a vesper, the noon news (tv and radio), Walter Cronkite, The Huntley-Brinkley Report, Gorgeous George, regular and ethyl gasoline, the rear engine Chevy Corvair, VW Beetles and vans, love vans, flower power, the 1968 Democratic Convention riot, the Tet Offensive, the Cuban Missile Crisis, Nikita Khrushchev at the UN, The Graduate, Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice, Guess Who's Coming To Dinner, In The Heat Of The Night, Bonnie & Clyde, The Pink Panther, It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World, introduction of the zip code, Hurricane Carla...

Color TVs. The peace sign. Love Potion. Slip n Slide. Twister. Shindig. American Bandstand. Race Riots. Fishnet hose. Twiggy. Vietnam. Jane Fonda. LBJ. Agnew. Rockefeller. Beehive hairdo. Long vests. Monster Mash. Hit the Road Jack. Born to Be Wild. Honey. Last Kiss. Mashed Potatoes. The Jerk. The Chicken. The Dirty Dog. Home cut fries. Real Ice cream. Fresh ground beef for burgers. Transister radios.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Magic Carpet Ride cranked up to ear bleeding volume.

Mammy Guest
    I start getting incredibly nostalgic this time of year over things that remind me of my 70's childhood. Anyone want to share what some of their favorites were? Some of my favorite toys were Fisher Price Little People.

Attachment 51791

I start getting incredibly nostalgic this time of year over things that remind me of my 70's childhood. Anyone want to share what some of their favorites were? Some of my favorite toys were Fisher Price Little People.

Attachment 51791
    I had both the Holiday Inn and Kentucky Fried Chicken playsets back in the early 70's ( thinking 1974 )...

Attachment 51792

Attachment 51793

..never had it myself but there was one for McDonalds...

Attachment 51794

..and Seven Eleven

Attachment 51795

For some reason when we had visited a Toys R US in Baltimore, Maryland in the mid 70's had for sale a full scale model of Lucy's psychiatric booth from the Peanuts cartoons for well over 200 bucks ( a lot of money back then )..no we didn't buy it LOL.
    Last edited by choff; 11-06-2014 at 12:47 AM.

The Mcdonald's Halloween Pails with the Pumpkin, Ghost and Witch would always come with a Mcnugget toy that had an outfit to put on for Halloween. I also remember them having a special shake for Halloween which was purple.

I can close my eyes and just remember the smell of the plastic

The Publix Last Train Home Commercial for the Holidays - Now its just the Pilgrims....

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    The Mcdonald's Halloween Pails with the Pumpkin, Ghost and Witch would always come with a Mcnugget toy that had an outfit to put on for Halloween. I also remember them having a special shake for Halloween which was purple.

I can close my eyes and just remember the smell of the plastic

The Publix Last Train Home Commercial for the Holidays - Now its just the Pilgrims....

We still do the Halloween pails, but they have gotten SO lame. And the pail replaces the Happy Meal toy. Double lame!

I remember when Hardee's had fried chicken. And California Raisins toys in their kids meals.
    "Tequila may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot."

"I just go here!"

"I am not psychic. I AM psychotic. BIG difference."

Quote Originally Posted by RiaBrown View Post
    We still do the Halloween pails, but they have gotten SO lame. And the pail replaces the Happy Meal toy. Double lame!

I remember when Hardee's had fried chicken. And California Raisins toys in their kids meals.
    I remember when Hardee's was actually good and the Frisco Burger was one of their top selling sammiches.

Now all they have now are Monster burgers this, Monster burgers that. Its like have a heart attack already.

When I was a teenager I dated a girl that was a shift manager for Hardee's. I used to live off of Frisco burgers. For free! And she was hot. I just didn't know how good I had it.

I haven't thought of California raisins in years. I was a California raising for Halloween once.
    I am the king of all things stupid!

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by choff View Post
    I had both the Holiday Inn and Kentucky Fried Chicken playsets back in the early 70's ( thinking 1974 )...

Attachment 51792

Attachment 51793

..never had it myself but there was one for McDonalds...

Attachment 51794

..and Seven Eleven

Attachment 51795

For some reason when we had visited a Toys R US in Baltimore, Maryland in the mid 70's had for sale a full scale model of Lucy's psychiatric booth from the Peanuts cartoons for well over 200 bucks ( a lot of money back then )..no we didn't buy it LOL.
    Those are so cool! I had the school house, village, airport, and barn, but I didn't have any of the ones you posted. I've never even seen the Holiday Inn set before.

Dude, I remember those McNugget toys and buckets. There was no McDonald's locally where I grew up, so I didn't have any of them.

Our local Hardee's is still good and the Frisco burgers are what I get when I eat there. I just had one this past weekend. I remember when they had fried chicken. Their chicken strips are good, but Hardee's is very expensive for a fast food restaurant.

Remember these? My husband bought me one for Christmas last year. Doesn't every 45 year old need a chiming baby toy? Lol

Attachment 51796

46. 11-06-2014, 02:22 PM

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    Yes
    I thought so, too! Lol

I miss Hardees !! About ten years ago we lost ours when the franchise owner had failed to pay his back taxes. One day the IRS people had came in and closed them down and at least two locations this happened during the lunch rush with people still in the drive-thru waiting for their food. NO those people never did get the food that they had ordered.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by choff View Post
    I miss Hardees !! About ten years ago we lost ours when the franchise owner had failed to pay his back taxes. One day the IRS people had came in and closed them down and at least two locations this happened during the lunch rush with people still in the drive-thru waiting for their food. NO those people never did get the food that they had ordered.
    Good grief, that fast? That's crazy! The local Hardee's stays pretty busy. It's a small town with not much competition. They have the best beer battered onion rings ever.