Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567815 ... LastLast

Thread: The Death Penalty

I don't agree with the death penalty. Great programme last night with Portillo though.

poppie Guest
    I am for the death penalty. When you have surgery, whatever they administer puts you out in a nano-second. Give that to prisoner, then do the lethal injection process. I cannot believe all the pissing and moaning that lethal injection is cruel. Much less painful than most murder victims suffer.

smooches27 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by poppie View Post
    I am for the death penalty. When you have surgery, whatever they administer puts you out in a nano-second. Give that to prisoner, then do the lethal injection process. I cannot believe all the pissing and moaning that lethal injection is cruel. Much less painful than most murder victims suffer.
    Well said poppie.

magblax Guest
    I am for the death penalty. This is a loaded subject but here goes...
    If the death penalty handed down ideally the condemned should go straight from the courtroom to the gas chamber. Closure on all ends...over and done...without the excessive waste of taxpayer $$.

panda Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magblax View Post
    I am for the death penalty. This is a loaded subject but here goes...
    If the death penalty handed down ideally the condemned should go straight from the courtroom to the gas chamber. Closure on all ends...over and done...without the excessive waste of taxpayer $$.
    Once again, I agree with you 100% MAG! You are so smart

lisalouver Guest
    I am against the death penalty. Most of my stance lies in the innocence factor.

Loaded subject though.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    I support it in theory, but I think it's overused. I think it ought to be for really vile crimes and serial killers only. You see a lot of people on death row when it didn't seem "that bad" what they did.
    As for the method, I think the people are asleep when their lungs collapse. Lethal injection seems the nicest to me, but I'm not an expert. I do not believe they should be tortured to death, though.

Bigfoot Guest
    I am a firm believer of the death penalty, but only if it's 100% proven that the defendant is guilty. The victims had no mercy, so why should they?

poppie Guest
    Christie - not being arguementive here, but you state "it didn't see that bad what they did". Can you s'plain that to us?

magblax Guest
    The death penalty should be swiftly carried out when there is no question of guilt. With all of the scientific tests and tools today there should be little room for error.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    Christie - not being arguementive here, but you state "it didn't see that bad what they did". Can you s'plain that to us?
    Ok, like this guy was executed last year, the one they botched in Florida. He had killed his business partner they said, over money and a woman. Ok, that is awful. He killed someone. But to me that's not the same as sneaking into a little girl's room, abducting her, raping her, and burying her alive.

magblax Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie Prody View Post
    Ok, like this guy was executed last year, the one they botched in Florida. He had killed his business partner they said, over money and a woman. Ok, that is awful. He killed someone. But to me that's not the same as sneaking into a little girl's room, abducting her, raping her, and burying her alive.

True. But then you take into account what your opinion of what murder merits what punishment. Crimes of passion are different than 1st degree premeditated murder. If a person plots and carries out the murder of another human being they should then be subject to the death penalty. The only cases that I would be hung up on whether or not this would apply would be cases of chronic abuse (ex: spousal or parental).

Gardner32 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smellslikealmonds View Post
    I think that the people on death row should suffer the same pain and suffering that their victims did.

I totally agree!!

Mamma Guest
    The death penalty should be swiftly carried out when there is no question of guilt. With all of the scientific tests and tools today there should be little room for error.
    Ditto. The idea that death penalty costs more than life imprisonment comes from the years inmates spend incarcerated, combined with the legal expenses accrued with tax payers dollars for the most part. Any nurse or physician who attends a death penalty are the same ones who are hired by the state in penitentiaries anyway, by the taxes of yours truly and everyone else reading this thread.

Personally, I could do away with the death penalty if it meant life imprisonment, and stay there with only the necessaties of food, hydration, and a roof over their head. It's prison, it's not supposed to be pleasent with the luxuries of internet access love connections, televisions and radios. However, I'd be a liar of I told you I have remorse for the one death row inmate I knew of who was given Ol' Sparky back in 1984. I've seen his old unkept hole in the ground and have shed not a tear. The world is a safe place without him. Period. Even if allowed life imprisonment, he'd be the one setting up the drug smuggling and most importantly, setting up the hits for people on the "outside" who ratted him out (victims, victims famillies, eyewitnesses). So yeah, he's gone, goodbye. I guess if there's any remorse, it would be because he freely chose his way of life of rape, violence, murder, drugs, alcohol, all that good stuff. He'd brag about it to anyone who would listen.

magblax Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamma View Post
    Ditto. The idea that death penalty costs more than life imprisonment comes from the years inmates spend incarcerated, combined with the legal expenses accrued with tax payers dollars for the most part. Any nurse or physician who attends a death penalty are the same ones who are hired by the state in penitentiaries anyway, by the taxes of yours truly and everyone else reading this thread.

Personally, I could do away with the death penalty if it meant life imprisonment, and stay there with only the necessaties of food, hydration, and a roof over their head. It's prison, it's not supposed to be pleasent with the luxuries of internet access love connections, televisions and radios. However, I'd be a liar of I told you I have remorse for the one death row inmate I knew of who was given Ol' Sparky back in 1984. I've seen his old unkept hole in the ground and have shed not a tear. The world is a safe place without him. Period. Even if allowed life imprisonment, he'd be the one setting up the drug smuggling and most importantly, setting up the hits for people on the "outside" who ratted him out (victims, victims famillies, eyewitnesses). So yeah, he's gone, goodbye. I guess if there's any remorse, it would be because he freely chose his way of life of rape, violence, murder, drugs, alcohol, all that good stuff. He'd brag about it to anyone who would listen.
    The whole "limbo period" after the sentence is handed down should be done away with. Once the gavel is pounded the sentence should be carried out. Life means life. Death means death. All of the legal back and forth delays, stays, appeals, are a waste of time and $$. Talk about cruel and unusual. Look at Scott Peterson. If he was already dead he wouldn't be getting raped and beat up in prison. Death would have been more merciful. Look at an animal like Richard Ramirez or Richard Allen Davis. What good are they or could they be to society? The were ordered to die. Not to be able to live out their lives, marry, and mock the system.

don't_axe_me Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamma View Post

I agree, Mamma. BTW, I'm about 80% "Loss of Faith", and even though it was the quickest execution in the history of Louisiana, it wasn't done nearly soon enough.

seamuskaxen Guest
    I don´t belive in the death penalty, but I think we here in Sweden are to soft on murderers, they usually get ten yeras and if you get life, then you are out in about twenty to thirty years. I think that if you kill someone then you should spend the rest of your life in jail.

NOVSTORM Guest
    I would like all convicted murders, especially child killers, to die the exact same way as the victim. ALl the bleeding hearts in the world are not going to bring the victims back. Excuse me if I shed no tears for people who kill others especially for the sport. Today with DNA there are not the mistakes madethat there were years ago. These people sit on death row ,3 meals a day,everything paid for by our taxes,one appeal after another trying to get off by a technicality,and screw the person they murdered. Anyone who thinks lethal injection is painful should look at how the victim died and then tell me that it is too painful for this murderer.
    People screamed for the death penalty for Scott Peterson whom in my opinion was convicted by the media and not by evidence.
    Maybe they should go back to the chair or hanging or gas? or by shooting?
    I just cannot for the life of me accept the fact that some man who raped, and then burried a child alive has the right to keep living. Some crrep who raped ,cut up a woman while she was still alive is still eating 3 meals a day and watching tv and using a computer.
    Why do we protect these people. Let them out and they will do it again.
    One person let out to do it again is too many.
    Mary Louise Bell my friend and always on my mind

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    I am a firm believer of the death penalty, but only if it's 100% proven that the defendant is guilty. The victims had no mercy, so why should they?
    Our Gov. Arnie has finally let some women out of jail for killing abusive husbands. One or two were on death row and pardoned them. Why? Because he saw the pictures of the women when they were arrested. They were bloody ,covered with lacerations bruises and it had been done to them many times before. These people did not deliberately set out on a sunny afternoon to kill. They did it in self defense. Granted they killed someone but these are not the people I was talking about.
    I agree that it has to be proven 100 percent and as I said today with DNA things are a lot different than they were 1o yr ago.
    I really believe that if OJ were tried today he would be convicted because
    of shows like CSI and forensic files. They are educating the general public in some ways. I believe he would get the death penalty too.

I definately would not want an innocent person to go to the chamber or anything else. BUT once it has been proven without a doubt they should have only a certain amount of time to waste taxpayers money for appeals. NOT 20 yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifeisafataldisease View Post
    I dont agree with the death penalty, I just dont think it's our earthly duty to decide who should die, so it doesnt matter to me whether it is painful or not it is still not the right thing to do. Too many mistakes have been made in the past. 1 innocent person being executed is one too many and I bet there has been more than 1 innocent person executed. There is even questions about the guilt of the last person hung in Australia, so I just cant agree that execution is appropriate no matter what the circumstances.
    You are right, it is not our earthly duty to decide who should die. However, if a person kills someone intentionally then as far as I am concerned they have made the decision for us.

You want to intentionally take someones life? Understand that you automatically forfeit yours.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    You are right, it is not our earthly duty to decide who should die. However, if a person kills someone intentionally then as far as I am concerned they have made the decision for us.

You want to intentionally take someones life? Understand that you automatically forfeit yours.
    That pretty much sums it up. If you know the death penalty is the punishment for murder and you murder someone anyway, you are accepting the punishment. It's very simple.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifeisafataldisease View Post
    I dont agree with the death penalty, I just dont think it's our earthly duty to decide who should die, so it doesnt matter to me whether it is painful or not it is still not the right thing to do. Too many mistakes have been made in the past. 1 innocent person being executed is one too many and I bet there has been more than 1 innocent person executed. There is even questions about the guilt of the last person hung in Australia, so I just cant agree that execution is appropriate no matter what the circumstances.
    Considering the number of people who have been exonerated through DNA, yes, I am sure more than one innocent person has been executed.

Quote Originally Posted by SlippyInvader View Post
    It said on that programme last night the lethal injection was probably a horrible way to go as people die from suffocation due to their lungs going into a spasm before their heart actually stops. I always thought it would be just like anasthesia where you'd just go to sleep never to wake up again.
    That would be the simpler way for them to go about it.

Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    That pretty much sums it up. If you know the death penalty is the punishment for murder and you murder someone anyway, you are accepting the punishment. It's very simple.
    This is also what I think.

Mamma Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by don't_axe_me View Post
    I agree, Mamma. BTW, I'm about 80% "Loss of Faith", and even though it was the quickest execution in the history of Louisiana, it wasn't done nearly soon enough.
    A whole four years.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    That would be the simpler way for them to go about it.
    That isn't an available option, according to what I've read. Administering anesthesia requires a great deal of technical skill, which the folks administering lethal injections don't have.

Why not just call in an anesthesiologist to do it? Because of the hippocratic oath that all doctors take--to do no harm. So if what I've read is correct, the folks who can do it don't have the skill, and the folks that have the skill can't take part in executions.

I don't know what the legal ramifications of calling in an anesthesiologist--to not kill precisely, but to anesthetize a person with the express knowledge that they are preparing them to be killed--but it might be like the whole Dr. Kevorkian thing...

Why not just call in an anesthesiologist to do it? Because of the hippocratic oath that all doctors take--to do no harm. So if what I've read is correct, the folks who can do it don't have the skill, and the folks that have the skill can't take part in executions.
    Honestly I see that as a certain group's interpretation of the Hippocratic Oath. The anesthesiologist would be doing no harm. In fact, they'd be issuing comfort.

poppie Guest
    Novstorm - What a sad, sad story about you friend. My condolences to you.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    I would like all convicted murders, especially child killers, to die the exact same way as the victim. ALl the bleeding hearts in the world are not going to bring the victims back. Excuse me if I shed no tears for people who kill others especially for the sport. Today with DNA there are not the mistakes madethat there were years ago. These people sit on death row ,3 meals a day,everything paid for by our taxes,one appeal after another trying to get off by a technicality,and screw the person they murdered. Anyone who thinks lethal injection is painful should look at how the victim died and then tell me that it is too painful for this murderer.
    People screamed for the death penalty for Scott Peterson whom in my opinion was convicted by the media and not by evidence.
    Maybe they should go back to the chair or hanging or gas? or by shooting?
    I just cannot for the life of me accept the fact that some man who raped, and then burried a child alive has the right to keep living. Some crrep who raped ,cut up a woman while she was still alive is still eating 3 meals a day and watching tv and using a computer.
    Why do we protect these people. Let them out and they will do it again.
    One person let out to do it again is too many.
    Mary Louise Bell my friend and always on my mind
    I googled everything I could think of I couldn't find anything on your friend. I thought maybe there would be a pic of her out there somewhere. There probably is, I just don't know enough info. Sorry. What a terrible thing to go through.

Forever-27 Guest
    Personally ive always been for the death penality. People argue that its inhumane and cruel or unusual punishment. I dont buy this. If whomever has killed someone or raped them, or whatever they did cannot suffer nearly enough for what they did to someoen else or their family. I firmly believe as a tax payer id rather pay for a few thousand volts or have cyonide pumped into them , then pay for them to rot in prison for the rest of their lives. Of course someone whose been sentnced to Die here in California will sit on death row about 25-30 years anyways.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    The whole "limbo period" after the sentence is handed down should be done away with. Once the gavel is pounded the sentence should be carried out. Life means life. Death means death. All of the legal back and forth delays, stays, appeals, are a waste of time and $$. Talk about cruel and unusual. Look at Scott Peterson. If he was already dead he wouldn't be getting raped and beat up in prison. Death would have been more merciful. Look at an animal like Richard Ramirez or Richard Allen Davis. What good are they or could they be to society? The were ordered to die. Not to be able to live out their lives, marry, and mock the system.
    I very much agree with you. Try 'em, and if guilty, fry 'em--immediately. A quick execution would seem much more merciful than a lifetime spent in a 9 x 9 cell, being repeatedly gang raped, subjected to constant violence, et al.
    And as far as method of execution, I've read that the quickest, most painless method was actually the guillotine...

Why execute someone straight after sentencing? What happens in the cases when the guilty party is later found to be innocent? An apology to the family? Resurrection? At least giving them a natural life sentence allows miscarriages of justice to be, in part, undone.

Has anyone posting on this thread ever been innocent yet facing execution on death row? Has anyone's family member or friend been in that position?

The death penalty will always be a contentious issue so surely it's safer to err on the side of caution as opposed to risk killing innocent humans?

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by W Axl Rose View Post
    Why execute someone straight after sentencing? What happens in the cases when the guilty party is later found to be innocent? An apology to the family? Resurrection? At least giving them a natural life sentence allows miscarriages of justice to be, in part, undone.

Has anyone posting on this thread ever been innocent yet facing execution on death row? Has anyone's family member or friend been in that position?

The death penalty will always be a contentious issue so surely it's safer to err on the side of caution as opposed to risk killing innocent humans?
    Great post Axl.

HelenaHandbasket Guest

Axl said what I was going to say only much better than I could have. I agree 100%.

Forever-27 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    I very much agree with you. Try 'em, and if guilty, fry 'em--immediately. A quick execution would seem much more merciful than a lifetime spent in a 9 x 9 cell, being repeatedly gang raped, subjected to constant violence, et al.
    And as far as method of execution, I've read that the quickest, most painless method was actually the guillotine...
    As I understood it death row is solitary. They all have their own cells and arent allowed out for more then an hour a day. Scott peterson was sent to prison what ...2 years ago. So he will probably be put to death around the year 2031

magblax Guest

I have thought of that. Actually the death sentence should not easily be handed down. If someone receives a death sentence there should be no doubt as to their guilt. Either DNA evidence or otherwise to prove guilt beyond a shadow of a doubt. Execution should be swift. From the drop of the gavel to the chair. In the example of Scott Peterson since the case was circumstantial he should have life in prison...inspite of public opinion to fry him (including me).

HelenaHandbasket Guest
    I see your point, magblax, and in theory I agree with you. But, there have been cases where the ME testified that DNA evidence proved person X was guilty when, in fact, the evidence was inconclusive. That happened in that huge mess in Illinois, I believe. So, if we can't trust the ME to testify truthfully and we can't rely on eye-witness accounts, then we're sort of back to square one. How do we resolve that one? Would we require maybe a second ME to view the DNA evidence as well? I mean, if we're talking a swift execution, we can't have any room whatsoever for error. I don't see us ever bringing that margin for error down to zero.

That said, I don't believe in the death penatly no matter what. It's a moral issue on my part.

RaRaRamona Guest
    ...inspite of public opinion to fry him (including me).
    and me!

magblax Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HelenaHandbasket View Post
    I see your point, magblax, and in theory I agree with you. But, there have been cases where the ME testified that DNA evidence proved person X was guilty when, in fact, the evidence was inconclusive. That happened in that huge mess in Illinois, I believe. So, if we can't trust the ME to testify truthfully and we can't rely on eye-witness accounts, then we're sort of back to square one. How do we resolve that one? Would we require maybe a second ME to view the DNA evidence as well? I mean, if we're talking a swift execution, we can't have any room whatsoever for error. I don't see us ever bringing that margin for error down to zero.

That said, I don't believe in the death penatly no matter what. It's a moral issue on my part.
    The state of Illinois is an extreme example of judicial incompetence. These cases need to be reviewed! It's a good thing the system for immediate execution is not yet in place! This week the Supreme Court was voting on the most merciful way to execute...I need to check into the outcome.
    Anyway...a new standard needs to be set. Death should mean death. If we are to hand down this punishment than the gravity of the sentence needs to be taken seriously and with swift action. Otherwise we are just playing games. Richard Allen Davis sould have been taken out of the courtroom and into the chamber.

don't_axe_me Guest
    OK...a little off topic, but related.....

My son is in the 5th grade, and the local school system here requires 5th graders to complete a social studies project. Of course, the subject has to be approved. He wanted to do his about, in his words, "what people here think about the Civil War", but was told it was inappropriate. So he submitted his second topic idea, the death penalty. It was approved. What the...?

magblax Guest
    OK...a little off topic, but related.....

My son is in the 5th grade, and the local school system here requires 5th graders to complete a social studies project. Of course, the subject has to be approved. He wanted to do his about, in his words, "what people here think about the Civil War", but was told it was inappropriate. So he submitted his second topic idea, the death penalty. It was approved. What the...?
    Too racial? Maybe. But the same can be argued about the death penalty.

lisalouver Guest

Great points Helena.

don't_axe_me Guest
    I see your point, magblax, and in theory I agree with you. But, there have been cases where the ME testified that DNA evidence proved person X was guilty when, in fact, the evidence was inconclusive. That happened in that huge mess in Illinois, I believe. So, if we can't trust the ME to testify truthfully and we can't rely on eye-witness accounts, then we're sort of back to square one. How do we resolve that one?
    At that point, the lying ME becomes liable for someone's life as well.

At that point, the lying ME becomes liable for someone's life as well.

Can you explain your eureka moment to us?

don't_axe_me Guest
    Can you explain your eureka moment to us?
    If a person is executed based on a Medical Examiner lying about evidence, isn't the ME guilty of ending a life also?

If a person is executed based on a Medical Examiner lying about evidence, isn't the ME guilty of ending a life also?

Sorry, yes. You're bang on. I missed the word truthfully from your post.

don't_axe_me Guest
    Sorry, yes. You're bang on. I missed the word truthfully from your post.
    No problem. I sort of enjoyed having a eureka moment. Even if the observation was made with a bit less sincerity than I usually prefer...

HelenaHandbasket Guest
    That was my line of thinking exactly. Do we then charge the lying ME with murder and put him/her to death? It would be their lie or incompetence that placed another in the death chamber.

don't_axe_me Guest
    That was my line of thinking exactly. Do we then charge the lying ME with murder and put him/her to death? It would be their lie or incompetence that placed another in the death chamber.
    That's what I'm thinkin'...death penalty for perjury!

halogirl5 Guest
    My point of view, then: I really don't like the idea of a person/people choosing to end another's life, whether that person is a murderer killing someone, or the execution of that said murderer. I think some of that might be due to my beliefs. As a Christian, I believe that nobody is beyong the forgiveness of God, even murderers, if they are truly sorry for what they did. (This is not the point of the the thread though, so I respectfully ask that nobody draw me into a discussion or give me any nasty shit about that on this thread if thats OK cos I just wanted to answer the original post). I am just saying that to kind of highlight where I'm coming from.
    I don't think 'revenge' is really the way to go-I view the idea of the death penalty as a government's or the victim's family's need for the ultimate revenge. And you know, i would feel exactly the same if a loved one of mine died. It's a very human and primal need after all.
    I might feel differently if the death penalty was still in force here. There is something chilling about the idea of the country that produced glossy, slick, Hollywood, expensive cars, leading people to a planned death. That's just a foible of mine. I am in no way condoning murderers; rather I think justice should be such that the murderer should be brought to a point where they feel genuine sorrow and regret for what they did and a chance to put something back into society. I know it's controversial but when you have killed someone, that victim can't have justice on earth any more. This, for the murderer (cos let's face it most death row people have killed someone) means no 'comforts' or treats but I do think it calls for humane,pastoral conditions. They should be forced to meet with the victims's loved ones, shown pictures, items, educated as to the full horror what they have done. This might take years.
    And before anyone mentions it, yes I know i don't know what the families of victims have been through. I am so thankful for that-I could well feel different if it happened to me and I'm not trying to make light of anyone's rightful sorry, anger or grief.
    Just a final thought; Mehmet Ali Agca, the Turkish gunman who shot Pope John Paul II in an assassination attempt was jailed. The Pope went and sat with him, talked to him and prayed for him even though this man fully meant to murder him.
    OK then, somebody attack what I said cos i am very aware it differs from what a lot of people have said.