Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Suicide Forest - Warning! Dead Pics!

2. 03-20-2011, 05:28 PM

Duster, I've always liked your posts.
    This one is no exception; it only makes me not miss a "Duster" post. They're always worth it. No real reason to say so, just letting you know. (You must be terribly thrilled...)

"The Bridge" was... if you've lost a family member to suicide or contemplated it yourself, don't watch it. Just... just don't. You can do a lot better things (for your mind) than dragging it down like that. But if that's a person's thing, they're going to watch it. What I remember most was the guy who lived through it. Seemed a bit too proud of himself, if that even makes sense. Like, "whoo-hoo, I tried to off myself and failed miserably!" His family must be beaming with pride. Not to mention the families of the victims, realizing that yeah, you really DO change your mind on the way down. Damn.
    Anyway,
    Thanks for this... it's positively haunting, and I do love a good haunting!
    And the waterfalls? Looks like the makings of a lovely wedding, to me. Not so much death (although there are many who liken the two...)
    Would make a good kind of "Blair Witch" doc, without that annoying girl in it... jesus, I can remember saying aloud, "Can you shut up? Are you even capable of that?" My cat, O'toole, looked at me like, "Can YOU?"

Anyway, I think it would be a unique wedding spot... but then, I'm not terribly "normal" (and hope to God I never will be.)

Good on you, Duster, you just consistently never disappoint!
    Last edited by TaupinJohn; 07-30-2011 at 01:03 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul! (Invictus)
    (And Timothy McVeigh's last words...)

Birthplace of the Rocky Horror Picture Show
    the bridge was facinating for me, i know personally that even though i have thought of suicide, i have realised that i am too damn chicken to do it, as much as i like to think it is the easy way out, i dont have the guts to do it, i think to myself that it must be the best way to deal with what is going on in my life and then i think about my son, my mum (even though we are not close) and i even think about my cats, i think about the situation that it would take a week at least for anyone to find me, and the only one that would find me would be my son, and im not selfish enough to do that to him, so, i sit on this forum, doing the name game and hanging out with death hags like me, and think, there is always someone worse off than me, and besides, i dont have anything cool like that forest or the bridge to do an epic end, so i trudge along in life, doing what i do, my little bits of help like the christchurch earthquake and my degree in criminology, i find out in 3 days if i get my house (look in the creepy houses can be cool, or something like that thread, i show the house i am going into an auction to win on the 24th of this month), and i just trudge along knowing that if i post in any thread on this forum, someone will listen to me and understand, and thats all i need, i think i should quit the forums and go watch something stupid and brainkilling like the munsters so i dont get all weepy and tearyeyed like i know im going to become

and i should let you know that my uncle called me today, he is the one dying of bile duct cancer ( i posted about this in the lost loved ones and friends thread) and he suggested i shouldnt come to his funeral because he is my last father figure left and he knows how hard it would be to me to lose him, even thogh him saying that has sent me to hit the drink hard today, so please disregard everything i say today
    I love you and miss you dad, Antun Perdija 27-06-41 - 28-12-00
    RIP Daniel Colvin 5 June 1974 - 7 June 2011, Best Friend, lover, fiancee

RIP David Edgar, 2 Dec 1953 - 10 June 2011, Uncle
    RIP Agnes Steele Edgar, 17 May 1926 - 4 July 2011, Grandmother

Oogie Boogie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TaupinJohn View Post
    Anyway, I think it would be a unique wedding spot... but then, I'm not terribly "normal" (and hope to God I never will be.)
    I thought the exact same thing! I couldn't believe there's someone else out there who feels the same way I do but then, anything's possible on this board! lol

Great post Duster. I would imagine something paranormal would be there. All those suicides would be traumatic and leave plenty of lost and wandering souls. I didn't know the Golden Gate had more suicides than Godzilla's Grotto? I do know that a huge span we have here that crosses the outer harbor of Baltimore had quite a few suicides when it was opened. I remember once going to work at night and seeing a car at the top of the bridge with the driver's door open and the flashers on. I remember saying to myself that I didn't see anyone walking on the bridge. The next night when paying my toll I asked the toll taker what happened and she said she knew nothing about it. I found out later that so many people were jumping that they stopped reporting it to the press and would take care of it themselves. Basically to stop the copycats. I don't know if it's true but I haven't heard of anyone jumping in years.

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiDeathy View Post
    the bridge was facinating for me, i know personally that even though i have thought of suicide, i have realised that i am too damn chicken to do it, as much as i like to think it is the easy way out, i dont have the guts to do it, i think to myself that it must be the best way to deal with what is going on in my life and then i think about my son, my mum (even though we are not close) and i even think about my cats, i think about the situation that it would take a week at least for anyone to find me, and the only one that would find me would be my son, and im not selfish enough to do that to him, so, i sit on this forum, doing the name game and hanging out with death hags like me, and think, there is always someone worse off than me, and besides, i dont have anything cool like that forest or the bridge to do an epic end, so i trudge along in life, doing what i do, my little bits of help like the christchurch earthquake and my degree in criminology, i find out in 3 days if i get my house (look in the creepy houses can be cool, or something like that thread, i show the house i am going into an auction to win on the 24th of this month), and i just trudge along knowing that if i post in any thread on this forum, someone will listen to me and understand, and thats all i need, i think i should quit the forums and go watch something stupid and brainkilling like the munsters so i dont get all weepy and tearyeyed like i know im going to become

and i should let you know that my uncle called me today, he is the one dying of bile duct cancer ( i posted about this in the lost loved ones and friends thread) and he suggested i shouldnt come to his funeral because he is my last father figure left and he knows how hard it would be to me to lose him, even thogh him saying that has sent me to hit the drink hard today, so please disregard everything i say today
    I think I can speak for others on this forum and we don't want anything to happen to you. And no, you could not to that to your son, and your pets need you!
    I am sorry about your uncle, sounds like he is very lucky to have someone that loves him like you do.
    I hope you get the house, will look for your photo.
    Take care of yourself, hugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Oogie Boogie View Post
    I thought the exact same thing! I couldn't believe there's someone else out there who feels the same way I do but then, anything's possible on this board! lol
    Well, that or Great Minds Think Alike, huh?
    I'd forgo the usual ridiculous fundings for marriages that rarely last until the wedding's paid for to take the trip... and what a trip it would likely be! Beginning a life where others ended theirs? Nope, nothing wrong there!
    (My god I'm so warped....)

/it's just a jump to the left
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul! (Invictus)
    (And Timothy McVeigh's last words...)

Don't quit the forums--you said yourself that you need the connection of knowing that someone's listening--and yes, please do stick around, for your son's and your cats' sake, but for yours as well, OK? *hugs*

Pat MaGroin Guest

Kiwi you know you have loads of friends here on this site! From what I know of you, you are one of the better people that I have met here, selflessly going into danger to help those who need it most. I respect and admire you and am seriously trying to send good vibes to you (damn COMCAST and their upload limits ). Anyway, positive vibes going your way and I have my fingers crossed about your house (but don't despair if it doesn't happen, I'm sure you will get the home that is good for you!)

lmphillips2000 Guest
    Some of the pictures on the site show childrens shoes. What I want to know is were there whole families deceased? Did a patriarch of the family walk them there?
    Living in Washington State we have such beautiful places here to. I can understand people who have the ability, to end their lives in a beautiful place, especially if it's an "end of life" scenario, would want to do that. I would.

Quote Originally Posted by lmphillips2000 View Post
    Some of the pictures on the site show childrens shoes. What I want to know is were there whole families deceased? Did a patriarch of the family walk them there?
    Living in Washington State we have such beautiful places here to. I can understand people who have the ability, to end their lives in a beautiful place, especially if it's an "end of life" scenario, would want to do that. I would.
    If there were chidrens shoes there maybe they were taken as a memento by an adult commiting suicide. Im not a psychologist or suicide expert but I dont see that as a likely scenario. Id be more inclined to say they were shoes that fit a diminutive Japanese womans feet.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

lmphillips2000 Guest
    Good point Ichybuddy! I didn't think of that! Perhaps you're right. Still, I'd walk with my silk shoes if I knew it was the end .... and "do the deed" in such a beautiful place.

lovemymonkey Guest
    This is far and away my favorite thread on FAD. The pics make my soul ache, for their despair

Haha look what is next door to the forest.

http://www.tofugu.com/2011/08/17/jap...-parks-creepy/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gullivers-kingdom-650x487.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	39276
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

OH>............slobbering. There goes my afternoon.

What is it about abandoned places we love so much? Maybe it's like we are Death Hags. These physical places are now dead,

GSBLTD Guest
    Regarding Golden Gate Bridge suicides: For several years I commuted from downtown SF to San Rafael, crossing the bridge twice daily { I always found it amusing that they only charge a toll at the San Francisco end like you're entering an amusement park!]. Anyway, one afternoon I was mid-span when all traffic stopped in both directions because someone had just jumped. I actually heard this on the radio as I was sitting in my car and until then I wasn't aware that this was SOP. We sat there unmoving for about 20 minutes while traffic backed up quickly on the Marin and Wacker Drive approaches. I was told later that traffic was always halted until the Coast Guard could retrieve the body - but I thought 20 minues was pretty fast work, even for their experienced patrols!

BTW: anyone who has ever walked that span and looked over the side of the railing understands immediately the finality of such a desperate act and why so few people survive their death-dive. But: I remember one very lucky 16-yr old who did just that. He was a disturbed highschool football player who only lived through the plunge due to his well-muscled physique and the angle in which he entered the bay -and even then, his rib-cage was nearly shattered by the impact. But he lived to join the mere handful of others who also survived to regret their rash decision.

Every few years or so [usually after a suicide] a new flurry of calls for walkway barriers hits the SF media. But, the ideas are always shot down by purists who insist any form of barrier would mar the clean, classic lines of the span with ugly nets that would ascend from the railing to 20'-30' above the deck. And, there is always the chance that such elaborate measures wouldn't stop those truly determined to die.

P.S.: did you know that over 99% of the suicides go over the East side of the bridge that faces the bay and that it takes an average of just four seconds to hit the water?

Quote Originally Posted by GSBLTD View Post
    Regarding Golden Gate Bridge suicides: For several years I commuted from downtown SF to San Rafael, crossing the bridge twice daily { I always found it amusing that they only charge a toll at the San Francisco end like you're entering an amusement park!]. Anyway, one afternoon I was mid-span when all traffic stopped in both directions because someone had just jumped. I actually heard this on the radio as I was sitting in my car and until then I wasn't aware that this was SOP. We sat there unmoving for about 20 minutes while traffic backed up quickly on the Marin and Wacker Drive approaches. I was told later that traffic was always halted until the Coast Guard could retrieve the body - but I thought 20 minues was pretty fast work, even for their experienced patrols!

BTW: anyone who has ever walked that span and looked over the side of the railing understands immediately the finality of such a desperate act and why so few people survive their death-dive. But: I remember one very lucky 16-yr old who did just that. He was a disturbed highschool football player who only lived through the plunge due to his well-muscled physique and the angle in which he entered the bay -and even then, his rib-cage was nearly shattered by the impact. But he lived to join the mere handful of others who also survived to regret their rash decision.

Every few years or so [usually after a suicide] a new flurry of calls for walkway barriers hits the SF media. But, the ideas are always shot down by purists who insist any form of barrier would mar the clean, classic lines of the span with ugly nets that would ascend from the railing to 20'-30' above the deck. And, there is always the chance that such elaborate measures wouldn't stop those truly determined to die.

P.S.: did you know that over 99% of the suicides go over the East side of the bridge that faces the bay and that it takes an average of just four seconds to hit the water?
    After the Golden Gate Bridge, the second most popular suicide spot in North America was the Bloor St. Viaduct, which spans the Don River Valley in east Toronto. A suicide barrier was erected on the bridge back in '06 or '07. (I think it's incredibly ugly, but wtf...)

The good news: Since it was erected, no one has successfully committed suicide from this bridge.
    The bad news: The number of suicides-by-jumping in the city hasn't changed (if anything, there's been a slight increase), which means troubled people are simply going to other nearby bridges.
    So the suicide barrier, called the Luminous Veil btw, was a waste of more than $5-million.

RaRaRamona Guest

Being stuck on the bridge would cause me to have a heart attack so I would not to jump. I wish you'd posted this in the GG thread!

Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    After the Golden Gate Bridge, the second most popular suicide spot in North America was the Bloor St. Viaduct, which spans the Don River Valley in east Toronto. A suicide barrier was erected on the bridge back in '06 or '07. (I think it's incredibly ugly, but wtf...)

The good news: Since it was erected, no one has successfully committed suicide from this bridge.
    The bad news: The number of suicides-by-jumping in the city hasn't changed (if anything, there's been a slight increase), which means troubled people are simply going to other nearby bridges.
    So the suicide barrier, called the Luminous Veil btw, was a waste of more than $5-million.
    Interesting!

Gory fact about the suicides from the Bloor St. bridge: East Toronto's main north-south route is a six-lane highway that runs below the bridge. That meant that many, many suicide victims - especially those who did the deed during rush hour - plummetted through the windshields, or roofs, of people driving to or from work.
    Gives new meaning to the term "traffic jam," eh?

RaRaRamona Guest
    Egads!!!

intothelight Guest
    Gory fact about the suicides from the Bloor St. bridge: East Toronto's main north-south route is a six-lane highway that runs below the bridge. That meant that many, many suicide victims - especially those who did the deed during rush hour - plummetted through the windshields, or roofs, of people driving to or from work.
    Eek! The would cause one to have a heart attack having that happen whilst driving.

Does "traffic jam" = "road pizza"? *cringe**shudder*

That being the case, then I'd say putting up the suicide barrier was well worth it, not only for those potential suicides who might have rethought their decision, but also in terms of sparing those on the highway beneath from, at best, watching someone go *SPLAT!* to, worse, dying themselves from the impact of someone else hitting their car.

Roaming Tigress Guest
    Holy crap, that sounds dangerous.

This is interesting. I didn't think I'd be able to handle this thread, since I lost my dad to suicide 19 years ago. We buried him Christmas Eve, so this time of year is always rough for me. But it is a fascinating thread and that is a fascinating site.
    "Tequila may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot."

"I just go here!"

"I am not psychic. I AM psychotic. BIG difference."

Drudge Report just did a story on the suicide forest - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...dies-year.html

Big thanks to Duster for starting this thread. Based on all of your comments I took a look at The Bridge and it helped me to see the families those people left behind. A very dear friend of mine commited suicide a few years ago, and listening to others talk about dealing with it helped me a lot.
    With regards to the Suicide Forest, I found a fascinating doc on Youtube about a man who spends his days going through the forest trying to keep people from killing themselves in there.
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CK1KdAha78
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1eXOXYI3bc
    "I was 12 going on 13 the first time I saw a dead human being" --Stand by Me

DionysianSpirit Guest
    I hope I get lost there in my dreams tonight.

The doc on this is super good! The curse nailed to the tree gave me the creeps.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Quote Originally Posted by RiaBrown View Post
    This is interesting. I didn't think I'd be able to handle this thread, since I lost my dad to suicide 19 years ago. We buried him Christmas Eve, so this time of year is always rough for me. But it is a fascinating thread and that is a fascinating site.
    I didn't know this, Ria May your dear dad RIP. I'm sure Christmastime always reminds you of him, but I hope it has also come to be a time of some peace and joy with your family even so. (((hugs)))
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

Quote Originally Posted by MirrorDimly View Post
    I didn't know this, Ria May your dear dad RIP. I'm sure Christmastime always reminds you of him, but I hope it has also come to be a time of some peace and joy with your family even so. (((hugs)))
    Thanks, Mirror. Having my kids helped a LOT. Jory first, I was able to look beyond the family tragedy and see the holiday through his eyes. And then Lizzie, later on, helped more. This year will mark 20 years he's been gone. I can't believe it's been that long. Now, while I still miss him, it's easier and I've been able to tell the kids more and more about the grandpa they never knew but who would've loved them like crazy. Especially Jory, Jory would've been Daddy's first grandson.

But on the other hand...the death hag in me is fascinated by the site as a whole and I spent many an hour perusing the page.

"I just go here!"

Wendy A. Guest
    The Suicide Forest in Japan has got to be one of the creepiest places on Earth.. I'd love to take a day tour of it!
    Last edited by Wendy A.; 10-20-2013 at 01:11 PM.

Seagorath Guest
    Check out this abandoned theme park right next to the Suicide Forest...

http://weburbanist.com/2011/06/05/bi...ed-theme-park/

Quote Originally Posted by Paulination View Post
    Fellow hags, if the suicide forest is not a great setting for a horror flick I don't know what is. Seriously, we should put together a screenplay and submit it. I don't know, start Death Hag productions (with Scott as CEO ofcourse) and do something productive with our collective morbidity!!!! Tell me I'm wrong.
    I wrote this 5 years ago and now there is one. Dammit! Should have followed through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDs_DYow7xA
    I've never been ashamed to be a white American and I have ZERO guilt and no pussy liberal is going to make me feel I should.
    --McCourt

Yep as soon as I saw the commercial I knew we dropped the ball.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

Yes! Saw this.

navallint Guest
    Looks like a good horror movie, I like those. I just have one problem with it, I have identical twin daughters, and one is named Jessica. We call her Jess!

I actually saw a horrormovie 1-2 years ago, about that forest. I dont remember the name on it, but its not the one in the youtube link over here

Looks good.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

If you saw someone leaping from the Golden Gate Bridge or any bridge for that matter, would you look or turn away? I imagine if I were with friends they would turn away immediately but the Death Hag in me would have me look

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    If you saw someone leaping from the Golden Gate Bridge or any bridge for that matter, would you look or turn away? I imagine if I were with friends they would turn away immediately but the Death Hag in me would have me look
    I'd definitely look but I think most people would simply because one's mind cannot wrap itself around the fact that its actually happening.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

Ooh I can't wait to see this!
    I much prefer a documentary, book or any real true-to-life information on these things. However, Aokigahara seems to have few and far between such things, so this will just have to do! :P

Today shitty youtuber Logan Paul uploaded a vlog on his "fun" vlog where he was going to camp and ghost hunt in Aokigahara and found a recent suicide him and his brother are evidence of bad parenting. So disrespectful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Logan-Paul-YouTube-Suicide-Forest-640x480.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	54631  

He's not the first one to do this but he was disrespectful. The others I've seen were more respectful about and informed the police so they could be returned to their families. Plus the other channels I've seen it on has an older target audience.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

because the forest is so vast that sometimes the bodies are not found right away, there is one video that I watched where it shows colored string stretched all over the place, people take it in and wrap one end around a tree and then every few hundred yards tie it off to another tree, so they can find their way back out, you can easily get lost there.

I understand people getting upset because he directs his video's to young kids but they can find and see far worse.

It didn't bother me that he filmed the body for a moment or two, what bothered me was they were laughing and trying to act all serious, then he states in the parking lot after one guy that was with him, well the reason why you were laughing is that is how you cope, and he goes yeah yeah!, that is how I cope in situations like this, everyone copes differently, this is the way I do it, and you are right JT, kids have seen and found and done worse (i.e. egging someone on livestream to take their own life)

Quote Originally Posted by john*thomas View Post
    I understand people getting upset because he directs his video's to young kids but they can find and see far worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    It didn't bother me that he filmed the body for a moment or two, what bothered me was they were laughing and trying to act all serious, then he states in the parking lot after one guy that was with him, well the reason why you were laughing is that is how you cope, and he goes yeah yeah!, that is how I cope in situations like this, everyone copes differently, this is the way I do it, and you are right JT, kids have seen and found and done worse (i.e. egging someone on livestream to take their own life)
    Yeah this is why people were so mad. Yes partly because his audience is young but it was the laughing and joking and disrespect he showed that people are so mad about.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    Today shitty youtuber Logan Paul uploaded a vlog on his "fun" vlog where he was going to camp and ghost hunt in Aokigahara and found a recent suicide him and his brother are evidence of bad parenting. So disrespectful.
    That video has be taken down. This has clips of the video though.

https://youtu.be/PyihHuINXC4
    Last edited by RiaBrown; 01-03-2018 at 10:23 PM.

"I just go here!"

My problem isn't the fact that he found a body it's just how he went there with the intention of filming a "fun" video, then proceeded to take a selfie with the body for the icon of the video, he didn't make it a suicide awareness video until he found out that he could possibly get in trouble.