Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Natasha Richardson

TheMysterian Guest

Natasha Richardson Brain Dead After Ski Accident

Nvr_Sk_to_Tll Guest
    She is indeed a good-looking woman...
    Five pics...2 from the film 'Gothic', 1 with Alan Cumming and 1 alone in 'Cabaret', and one with husband Liam Neeson
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gothic179r.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	13145   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gothic323r.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	13146   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cabaret.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	13147   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19_sin74.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	6.9 KB 
ID:	13148  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_45574131_richardson226b_pa.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	13149  

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Perdi View Post
    I was just reading the New York Post article and it has some 'reader comments' underneath it. The first one thinks it may be the fault of Canada's socialized hospitals. I know that this subject in itself isn't funny, but I had to giggle..yeah, the fact that no one has to pay for health care in Canada, that's what's done her in!!! Oh my goodness!!

...not that I am saying she is dead or dying or trying to jinx her in any way of course. I really really really really really am hoping she this has all been horribly exaggerated, and that it is, in fact, 'a mere flesh wound'.
    huh??? As a Canadian I don't see their point. So what if we have free health care, we have great hospitals and great doctors. Why do people point the finger of blame so irresponsibly. I'm sure the real cause will all be explained tomorrow when her family comes forth with a statement.

hoxharding Guest
    I was just reading the New York Post article and it has some 'reader comments' underneath it. The first one thinks it may be the fault of Canada's socialized hospitals. I know that this subject in itself isn't funny, but I had to giggle..yeah, the fact that no one has to pay for health care in Canada, that's what's done her in!!! Oh my goodness!!

...not that I am saying she is dead or dying or trying to jinx her in any way of course. I really really really really really am hoping that this has all been horribly exaggerated, and that it is, in fact, 'a mere flesh wound'.
    Blame Canada? Ok, just a guess but it sounds like someone
    had more of a agenda to voice and opinion about Canada than about
    Natasha.
    I hope she recovers from this-I still wonder if whatever is wrong is the reason she fell.

* I just recently got the VHS version of 'The Comfort of Strangers' which is based on a book by Ian Mcewan. It stars Natasha and also Rupert Everett.
    If you haven't seen it-look for it-very creepy film. Christopher Walken plays a man who is disturbing to say the least.
    Last edited by hoxharding; 03-17-2009 at 01:34 PM.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    Natasha.
    I hope she recovers from this-I still wonder if whatever is wrong is the reason she fell.
    I agree with you Hox. It sounds very suspicious that it may be a pre existing condition

Perdi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by beatlebaby4 View Post
    huh??? As a Canadian I don't see their point. So what if we have free health care, we have great hospitals and great doctors. Why do people point the finger of blame so irresponsibly. I'm sure the real cause will all be explained tomorrow when her family comes forth with a statement.
    My thoughts exactly!! We have free health care too, and I couldn't agree with you more!

Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    Natasha.
    Would appear so.

...sorry if that takes us off topic a wee bit!

Paige B Guest
    This is very sad news....its also very tragic that she wasn't wearing a helmet. This is further compounded by the fact that signed out against medical advice after her fall and didn't seek medical attention right away.

Working at a hospital in Colorado, I get to see a lot of what happens to people when they don't protect themselves adequately, especially on the ski slopes and other sporting type events.

I wish her well...

Just to stray OT for one more second, no-one has "free" healthcare. We pay exorbitant tax rates in order to support a crumbling healthcare system.

Having said that, there is no doubt in my mind that the doctors/nurses/technicians/equipment at Sacre-Coeur in Montreal are as competent as they'd be anywhere else.
    Her condition has nothing to do with which hospital - or which country - she was first treated in.

radiojane Guest
    I could think of worse places to get sick in the world than Quebec. Socialized medicine? How ignorant can you possibly be?

Jack'sGirl Guest
    Trying to think positive, could she be going home to NY just so that she can be home for treatment?

No matter where I am, or how good the hospitals are in that area, I know I feel a lot better in my own town, where I know the docs/hospitals here. Kind of like I need that to rest better, knowing for a fact I'm in good hands.

Not a knock on Canada, or the health care/hospitals/docs there, I'd just want to be home, with my own doctor in charge of my health care.

Then again, I'm medical, that kind of thing makes a HUGE difference to me. We were in LA over the holiday season when mom broke her ankle. I should've done my homework and got us to a good hospital, but I was too shook up to think properly. I took the advice of a paramedic, and I shouldn't have. The place we wound up isn't fit to care for animals. If they would've suggested surgery, I would've either demanded a move to a better place, or just said thank you anyhow, and took her home to her own doc.

She was a lot happier when we got her home anyhow.

Could they also be moving Natasha so she can be close to family and friends as well? That would make a difference with her sons nearby. Maybe Liam just wanted to be home with the kids.

RubySlippers Guest
    not cool...

Nvr_Sk_to_Tll Guest
    Of course Canada should bear no blame for this. People just assume news comments sections on the web are the place to air every little prejudice.

Anyhow, back to topic...Natasha.

Two more songs from 'Cabaret'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64O77DC3F4k
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6IyeBEvFZw

And more photos...Natasha in 'The Handmaid's Tale', with her mother Vanessa Redgrave in 'Evening', and in 'Asylum'

Name:	2007_evening_018.jpg 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	13151   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2005_asylum_063.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	207.8 KB 
ID:	13152  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RubySlippers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack'sGirl View Post
    Not a knock on Canada, or the health care/hospitals/docs there, I'd just want to be home, with my own doctor in charge of my health care.

Could they also be moving Natasha so she can be close to family and friends as well? That would make a difference with her sons nearby. Maybe Liam just wanted to be home with the kids.
    that is much more understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    I could think of worse places to get sick in the world than Quebec. Socialized medicine? How ignorant can you possibly be?
    That's exactly what it is.

You can call it "universal healthcare" if you want to, but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Jack'sGirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RubySlippers View Post
    that is much more understandable.
    Especially for someone with the means to do so, like the Neeson's have.

If I had their income, I'd go home, for sure.

Perdi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post

You can call it "universal healthcare" if you want to, but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...
    I'd still rather have it than not...if I feel icky I can call up my doc and just make an appt. I don't have to think about what might be wrong and how expensive it might become if my insurance won't cover it.

Shoot, I did it again.......sorry......I promise to stay on topic in future!!

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMysterian View Post
    It's also being reported on MSNBC and Fox news!
    Ditto for Fox in terms of reliable.

Perdi Guest

Just found this pic of Natasha. Just gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by Paige B View Post
    This is very sad news....its also very tragic that she wasn't wearing a helmet. This is further compounded by the fact that signed out against medical advice after her fall and didn't seek medical attention right away.

Working at a hospital in Colorado, I get to see a lot of what happens to people when they don't protect themselves adequately, especially on the ski slopes and other sporting type events.

I wish her well...
    It isn't against the law there to not wear a helmet, but I agree, she should have been wearing one.

When my niece was around 8 y/o she was jumping on a trampaline, fell and hit her head on the metal frame. Didn't even have a knot. So a few hours later she started throwing up. I went with my sister to the Er and they did a MIR or something and she had a concussion. She could have easily had an aneroyism, but didn't. Sometimes they are there when you are born and something sets them off. Sometimes they pop up after a hit on the head.

I've posted this on another thread, but there is a soccer player on video who just stopped playing the game and walked around in circles holding his head like he had one helluva headache, and then he just dropped dead from an aneroyism (sp).
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

IrishBabe Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post

Not hardly. They're just as reliable as CNN.

Nvr_Sk_to_Tll Guest
    A couple of pics of Natasha as Patty Hearst opposite Dana Delaney. More photos from the film (featuring a young Ving Rhames as well) here.

Name:	0301.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	13153   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0302.jpg 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	13154  
    Last edited by Nvr_Sk_to_Tll; 03-17-2009 at 02:07 PM.

First of all anything in the New York Post,reader comments,political
    cartoons,etc, you have to take with a grain of salt because the paper
    is owned by right wing conservative Rupert Murdoch.

Hope Natasha Richardson will be OK, don't know a lot about her
    but I admire her mom Vanessa Redgrave.

Jack'sGirl Guest

Just found this pic of Natasha. Just gorgeous.
    It really is. I've always liked her smile.

IrishBabe Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    First of all anything in the New York Post,reader comments,political
    cartoons,etc, you have to take with a grain of salt because the paper
    is owned by right wing conservative Rupert Murdoch.

Hope Natasha Richardson will be OK, don't know a lot about her
    but I admire her mom Vanessa Redgrave.

Hogwash. His politics don't color the daily news reports. That's ridiculous.

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post

I agree that it's socialized medicine. My point was that Montreal hospitals weren't responsible for her condition. Now if she'd been skiing out here, she'd still be waiting for a nurse to open the ER doors, never mind see a doctor.

Again off topic.... Sorry.

I hit my head pretty damned hard not long ago, and my doctor monitored me for three days because he didn't want to see me "Get up and Crash", meaning feel fine and then a few days later croak. Apparently that happens often. ( I didn't croak, in case any one's wondering)

Nvr_Sk_to_Tll Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishBabe View Post
    Hogwash. His politics don't color the daily news reports. That's ridiculous.
    This is probably true, in this day and age. Things have changed a lot from the days of W.R. Hearst. And Murdoch runs such a huge empire, I don't know that he'd have time to spin EVERYTHING that appears in his papers/sites/channels.

Although, I'm still not trusting that Natasha's dead until I hear from the family.

Rudy's Girl Guest
    So do Liam and Natasha live in New York? Then yes, perhaps even Liam wanted her closer to home, and there was the children to consider and having their mother nearer to home. I feel terrible about this, and can hardly wait till the real truth about her condition comes out . It's so sad to keep hearing from one news source that she is dead, no she isn't, she is brain dead, no she isn't. I feel horrible for the family.

Nvr_Sk_to_Tll Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by EthelMertz View Post
    So do Liam and Natasha live in New York? Then yes, perhaps even Liam wanted her closer to home, and there was the children to consider and having their mother nearer to home. I feel terrible about this, and can hardly wait till the real truth about her condition comes out so. It's so sad to keep hearing from one news source that she is dead, no she isn't, she is brain, no she isn't. I feel horrible for the family.
    The family does live most of the time in New York, so yeah, I'm guessing they wanted her home. According to a few reports, the boys were skiing with Natasha at the time of her fall and are now staying with Natasha's mother Vanessa there in New York, and I guess Liam's mostly at the hospital.

mel306 Guest
    The NY papers are starting to label stories about her, Her Journey Home to be with family.

Perez is reporting she is being brought her to see her family, mainly her mother before they take her off life support.

Cherry Malotte Guest
    Very very sad. While I hope for a miracle, it doesn't sound too good. We just lost a co-worker recently, she'd complained of a slight headache during the day at work and by the next morning she was gone. Only 34 - and had a 4 year old daughter.

The family statement kinda tells me that she's probably not going to make it. I would think if the news was good they'd already crowed it from the rooftops.

I'll pray for the family, that's what they need now.

carebearsluv Guest
    What scares me the most about this story, is how she felt fine right after it happened!

Perdi Guest
    It's just so awful isn't it. How upsetting would it be if one of her sons read some of this stuff about her being dead or brain dead? Early teens can be pretty strong willed and you can imagine them thinking 'oh my what's going on with my mum and why isn't anyone telling us?' and then trying to have that conversation with people......too upsetting!

These 'news' sites really ought to think before they make public unconfirmed information.

Curl_up_N_dye Guest
    I thought that, too. Maybe she had some other condition going on, like an aneurysm, or possibly a tumor?

But, she sure went downhill awfully fast for a brain tumor. Aneurysm, yes, possibly.

Yes ..... like, is her ski accident actually a symptom or a cause??

Been watching too much House. Love me some Hugh Laurie...

Oh man this just breaks my heart. I watch Nell at least once a week it's my favorite movie with Natasha in it. God bless her

Perdi Guest
    Just to really throw the cat amongst the pigeons, get a read of this It's from ITV (Independent Television News) and again, they are a source to be trusted:

http://www.itv.com/News/Articles/Act...543153844.html

Now I know we Brits are famed for our stiff upper lip under stated...erm...ness, but if you read this artical, you would think she is poorly, although not in terrible shape....curiouser and curiouser said Alice!

burgtwngrl Guest
    So very sad. I hope she makes it but it doesn't sound very good.

Rudy's Girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mel306 View Post
    The NY papers are starting to label stories about her, Her Journey Home to be with family.

Perez is reporting she is being brought her to see her family, mainly her mother before they take her off life support.
    So if this was true, it really wasn't a New York vs. Canadian Hospital thing, but simply a family who wants their wife, mother and daughter to come home.

I always have to remember what a shit stirrer the press is...

mel306 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by EthelMertz View Post
    So if this was true, it really wasn't a New York vs. Canadian Hospital thing, but simply a family who wants their wife, mother and daughter to come home.

I always have to remember what a shit stirrer the press is...
    Exactly. It sounds like everyone knows she is all but left us, but they are doing it at home rather than abroad.

GrinReaper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by beatlebaby4 View Post
    CNN is not reporting that yet though. I believe CNN. When they say it, I will be very saddened. I really hope it's not true.
    I agree. This is from CNN.com:
    "The statement offered no details on Richardson's condition or injuries."

And that's what I'm going with.

GrinReaper Guest
    Warning Rant Follows! Not aimed at anyone here!
    This is exactly what can happen in the new erea of blogs vs serious news papers with actual editors and a requirement for fact checkling.
    I know it goes against our know it first, know it fast hearts' desires but this is so unfair to her family.
    In the case of business news imagine a poorly researched story about a death or injury or embezzelment by the CEO of GE or the head of the Fed etc. It could start a panic.
    I am just sick about newspapers folding right and left and reading articles about "new media" . one article said we are the new media. Viral spread of information and postings on web sites like I-reporting on CNN is the new journalism. I think the first casualty in this new media will be accuracy and the truth.
    The second casualty will be public confidence. Somewhere Walter Conkrite is weeping I am sure.
    regards,
    Mary
    Bravo!

Perez hilton is saying they will be taking her off life support. Sad

"
    It is looking like all hope may be gone!
    Fox News is now also reporting that actress Natasha Richardson, who was critically injured while skiing on a beginner's slope in Canada on Monday, is brain dead.
    Additionally, Fox News is reporting that Richardson is "being transported back to New York City before she is to be taken off life support."
    A statement from Natasha's family is expected tomorrow, Wednesday.
    So sad"

I couldn't remember what I saw her in till I went to IMDB. She was the mom in the remake of the parent trap with lindsey lohan.
    Last edited by Donnagg123; 03-17-2009 at 02:45 PM.

Jack'sGirl Guest
    If she's taken off life support today, wouldn't a statement tomorrow be a little late?

Nvr_Sk_to_Tll Guest
    If she's taken off life support today, wouldn't a statement tomorrow be a little late?
    We'll know NOTHING until the family makes that statement...Perez Hilton is, as has been pointed out, hardly the most unimpeachable source, along with the NY POST and several news channels and sites. I say we wait for word from those who are there, who know.

It didn't say if she was being transported today just that she would be and it did not say if she was going to be immediately taken off life support or if htey are going to wait for her to be assessed or what.

Global News in Canada just reported that she is brain dead and has been moved to New York to die. Sad.

Jack'sGirl Guest
    Don't mind me, I'm just thinking aloud.

I'm not trusting any one source yet. It just seemed odd that Perez would post that she's already been taken off life support, yet it says that a statement will come tomorrow.

Let's say they take her off life support today, can they really keep it quiet until tomorrow?

TheMysterian Guest
    I lived in New York for over fifty years "Firstmate" and always found both the New York Post,and Fox news to be reliable,I guess because they don't lean enough to the left you question them?

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    Global News in Canada just reported that she is brain dead and has been moved to New York to die. Sad.
    I'd wait for CTV or CBC to say something.... Global's not the best network news source imho.

GrinReaper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    This doesn't make any sense. Why would someone transport someone else who's brain dead from one place to another just to pull the plug?
    Do they even have the technology to transport a brain dead patient?
    Something could happen to the patient or medical crew during transport. Just pull the plug where they are and then ship the body.

Anyway, I don't believe any of these rumors. I'm just gonna wait and see what the news is on her condition later on.
    Last edited by GrinReaper; 03-17-2009 at 03:00 PM.

Nvr_Sk_to_Tll Guest
    How about we none of us trust ANY news source and just wait for the family statement? Then there'd be no sniping over which network/site/paper is reliable or not.

I'm just...feeling a bit broken up either way. If it's really as bad as it might be, the world has lost an actress and person I much admired. If things are better off, well, she's got a long recovery in front of her, most likely.