Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beatles

candleinthewind Guest

The Beatles

Please don't tell me that I am the only one obsessed with the Paul is dead hoax. Ok, I know that Paul McCartney is alive and that some of the clues are wacky, but some of them seem so intentional. I think the song clues are silly, but what about the album covers? They had to be deliberate. I'll get links to the websites. Some are very intriguing and dare I say convincing.

candleinthewind Guest

BeeCee Guest
    [SIZE=3]One of the radio stations in my city was running a series of shows based on this and some other Beatle lore not long ago. One school of thought is that it was a stunt hatched by the Beatles to boost record sales. The thought being that the consumer would buy the first record, wear it out trying to do backward masking and then have to spring for a replacement. Sounded pretty lame to me but, I guess even the Beatles could have a popularity slump. Dunno. I recall the hoax of course but, was a bit too young to really get into it. [/SIZE]

emeslovesheppy Guest
    I Was also very interested in the "Paul is dead" theory. Thanks for the links and yes some of the clues seemed very weird.

it was spooky at the time,and great fun. i had a record player with a neutral stop on it along with 78 331/3 45 and one more i forgot cause i did'nt have anything that played at whatever speed[it was old] anyway set on neutral we played a lot of it backwards. can't say i am obsessed,but it brings back good memories.

onehunglow Guest
    You Tube has video that shows he grew 3 inches. Up until a few months ago I thought it was BS. As a guitar player I always hold it the same and have for 40 years. Right after the last show in 66, Paul holds his Hofner at a odd angel and plays lead on a bass. You have to see the whole thing laid out in video. But, they can do weird things with computers, who knows. Also the voice patteren don't match and someone had a clip of his hair in 64. No one knew DNA would come about. The DNA don't match. Just some odds off the Tube.

DeadRinger Guest
    My favourite theory is that Paul was replaced by an android after his supposed fatal car accident in 1966.

These conspiracy people obviously haven't heard Abbey Road. That voice - that's pure Paul.

Apart from the fact that I saw Paul in concert in the US in 2005 - and he looked very much alive to me.

motherogod Guest
    This, of course, makes me reference another of my favorite guys who is really dead... Chris Farley. When Paul was on "The Chris Farley Show" on SNL.... CLASSIC!

Remember that time everyone thought you were dead? Yes, Chris. Was that true?

Snoopy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathGroupie View Post
    My favourite theory is that Paul was replaced by an android after his supposed fatal car accident in 1966.

These conspiracy people obviously haven't heard Abbey Road. That voice - that's pure Paul.

Apart from the fact that I saw Paul in concert in the US in 2005 - and he looked very much alive to me.
    Saw him in 2005 too! and yeah I agree Alive and kicking!

relander Guest
    Crazy stuff!

Garry1960 Guest
    Personally, I think it's still Paul who's alive, but for those who saw 'him' live, the conspiracists would have you believe that you actually saw William Campbell, the Canadian who supposedly replaced Paul after the car crash. The 'Billy's Here!' of Sergeant Pepper.

It was something I was always interested in, but after reading a really poor expose called The Walrus Was Paul, it just looked like it was - a series of coincidences feeding on rampant imaginations, possibly encouraged by The Beatles themselves.

firegilnotguns Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by motherogod View Post
    This, of course, makes me reference another of my favorite guys who is really dead... Chris Farley. When Paul was on "The Chris Farley Show" on SNL.... CLASSIC!

Ha, that was hilarious!

candleinthewind Guest
    I loved it when Paul and Linda were on the Simpsons and Paul says that if you play Maybe I'm Amazed backwards you get a recipe for lentil soup.

BeeCee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by candleinthewind View Post
    I loved it when Paul and Linda were on the Simpsons and Paul says that if you play Maybe I'm Amazed backwards you get a recipe for lentil soup.
    Didn't see that one - too funny!

Of course, you realize, when the time really comes around, the hoax sets Paul up for the shortest obit in the history of show biz - Paul is Dead ~ No Really.

candleinthewind Guest
    Over the ending credits you here Paul reading a recipe for lentil soup then he says "and I'm alive."

xenaswolf Guest
    Ok I have a headache now. Seems to me 95% of these "clues" are hogwash.

I think this was all a clever marketing ploy.

DeadRinger Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry1960 View Post
    Personally, I think it's still Paul who's alive, but for those who saw 'him' live, the conspiracists would have you believe that you actually saw William Campbell, the Canadian who supposedly replaced Paul after the car crash. The 'Billy's Here!' of Sergeant Pepper.

It was something I was always interested in, but after reading a really poor expose called The Walrus Was Paul, it just looked like it was - a series of coincidences feeding on rampant imaginations, possibly encouraged by The Beatles themselves.
    Of course they encouraged it! At least John did - his sense of humour always was a bit twisted. The "clue" of the hand over Paul's head on the Sgt Pepper cover was replicated on the Yellow Submarine cover by request of John, just to screw with our heads.

By the way, the line in Sgt Pepper is "Billy Shears".

The Wikipedia article about the hoax is really good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_is_dead
    John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lobsters Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeCee View Post
    Didn't see that one - too funny!

Of course, you realize, when the time really comes around, the hoax sets Paul up for the shortest obit in the history of show biz - Paul is Dead ~ No Really.
    OMG, if he is buried, that should SO be on his tombstone.

different kind of girl Guest

That is my all time favorite Chris Farley skit on SNL. Brings me to tears every single time...

I'm going to have to read more on the hoax. I've heard about it but never took the time to learn what happened, the theories, etc. Great, one more thing to take up my time!

Mark Guest
    I saw Paul on his US tour in 2002. Great show, in fact it was the best concert I seen.

I have a book that tells all about the death hoax. It is called "The Walrus Was Paul." Really good book.

Xtine Guest
    I read a really good book about the subject called The Walrus was Paul The Great Beatle Death Clues. It was a great read! I recommend it if you enjoy the theories.

GrinReaper Guest
    I checked out the website showing the clues in the album covers.
    Seems like people are really desperate and reaching for some clues just to find anything.
    For example: John Lennon does not have an open palm on the Yellow Sub cover.
    He's holding his neck because it's injured.

The back of the white album doesn't have any clues.
    Really? Well duuh!

susalu Guest

LOVED IT!!!

I was in elementary school when this hoax came about... The boys in my class were all saying Paul was dead and the girls were all saying he wasn't... We actually had a debate about it, and made signs... This was about 1969 or so... I was in 5th grade...

Our teacher was so groovy!!!

LOL.. Susan

leevancleef Guest

Lennon or McCartney?

The question that most of the people who like music have answered at least once in their life.
    In my case, i prefer Lennon solo stuff (but im not a big fan of their solo stuff to say the truth). i love some of Pauls nostalgic , beautiful lyrics in his Beatles times but i also love how brilliant Lennon was, and the philosophy in some of his lyrics, and the anger he expressed i some of his songs....
    What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by leevancleef; 01-20-2008 at 02:12 PM.

Daphne Guest
    John Lennon, hands down

leevancleef Guest

Lennon or McCartney?

The question that most of the people who like music have answered at least once in their life.
    In my case, i prefer Lennon solo stuff (but im not a big fan of their solo stuff to say the truth). i love some of Pauls nostalgic , beautiful lyrics in his Beatles times but i also love how brilliant Lennon was, and the philosophy in some of his lyrics, and the anger he expressed i some of his songs....
    What are your thoughts?

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leevancleef View Post
    In my case, i prefer solo stuff than Lennon's (but im not a big fan of their solo stuff to say the truth). i love some of Pauls nostalgic , beautiful lyrics in his Beatles times but i also love how brilliant Lennon was
    Sorry to be a killjoy, but neither. I'm so sick of everything "Beatles." Maybe it's just burnout from being a child of the 60s and listening to them for 40+ years...

If pressed however I would say for songwriting, Lennon. For singing voice and sheer vivacity, I'd say McCartney.

JGrier Guest
    Lennon

Daphne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    Sorry to be a killjoy, but neither. I'm so sick of everything "Beatles." Maybe it's just burnout from being a child of the 60s and listening to them for 40+ years...

If pressed however I would say for songwriting, Lennon. For singing voice and sheer vivacity, I'd say McCartney.

Not a killjoy, I understand completely what you are saying, I didn't think of putting that into the post, but I agree with you that I am jaded on the beatles, (60's child myself).

31. 01-20-2008, 01:56 PM

halogirl5 Guest
    I choose George Harrison everytime

leevancleef Guest
    Sorry guys, i posted the thread before finishing the post, ive already posted a brand new one. Please, can some Moderator delete this one?? thanks in advance and excuse me.
    Silly me!! i think im retarded sometimes..im going to delete the other one, and edit this one.
    yes, guys, you can start calling me silly brat.

leevancleef Guest
    Damn, this thread is cursed! ive already edited my first post in this thread, but i realized that i cannot cancel the other one(thread). Please, if a moderator check this out , please delete the other thread. Thank you in advance and excuse me!

leevancleef Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post

Not a killjoy at all Jack! i so understand what you mean, im an 81' child and im sick of hearing thier music everywhere too.
    But to be fair, i have to say that some of the music they did was awesome and im still a fan of most of their late 60s stuff.

John Lennon

Glamrock Princess Guest
    Oooh, I love threads like these

Beatles it would be Lennon compositions, such as I am the walrus and Strawberry fields....

Solo...thats a toughie, as I loved Wings and John Lennon, his shaved fish album being his finest work.

John Lennon 1940 - 1980 RIP, you are sadly missed.
    Last edited by Glamrock Princess; 01-20-2008 at 02:28 PM. Reason: spelling error

leevancleef Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamrock Princess View Post
    Oooh, I love threads like these

Beatles it would be Lennon compositions, such as I am the walrus and Strawberry fields....

Solo...thats a toughie, as I loved Wings and John Lennon, his shaved fish album being his finest work.

John Lennon 1940 - 1980 RIP, you are sadly missed.
    Welcome to the forum Princess!
    i like some of Lennon's solo stuff, but theres not a solo album of him that i can say that i really love. i love random songs of his solo era...

Glamrock Princess Guest

Smile

i like some of Lennon's solo stuff, but theres not a solo album of him that i can say that i really love. i love random songs of his solo era...
    Thank you leevancleef

I used to just like Paul McCartney stuff when I was younger, growing up as a teen in the 1970's listening to Wings, thinking that C moon was such a cool song, lol.....

I still think that has it not been for so many interferences with the band with management etc, they could have gone on to make a few more albums....

I think they were strongest as collaborators.

Solo; I think that Paul had the better voice; and I've liked much of his music through the years. I think that John was the more creative writer and gave us a wider range of music.

I thought that "Maybe I'm Amazed" was one of the best songs of it's time; but c'mon; think about where John's mind was when he wrote "Imagine".

Two very talented guys.

I still like some of the Beatles' stuff; both early and late.

"I Saw Her Standing There" has such a great beat and harmonies; "Two Of Us" still plays well to me; as does "Lady Madonna".

IMO.

ApricotRoses Guest
    John Lennon, no contest. That man was a genius.

Lennon
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

OCEANLIGHTS Guest
    McCartney...they both are soo talented, however, that Ono broad turned me totally off of Lennon.

McCartney, but miss Lennon terribly. I remember seeing Wings in Philly in 1975...they blew me away back then...or maybe I was blown away...hmmm...it was the 70's...

More Cheese Please Guest
    Lennon

Noelle Page Guest
    These days I find myself loving the "Hard Days Night" cute moptops.....they were absolutely adorable and amazing, deserving of every accolade they ever got.

The post-drugs Beatles are doing it for me less and less. My son is playing Abbey Road these days, and the songs are a bummer. Lennon's are weird and depressing. McCartney's are like lame vaudeville. Ringo let's not even talk about. George, meh.

I keep reminding myself that it was all NEW and DIFFERENT and EXPERIMENTAL back then.

So Lennon or McCartney? Truly a draw. In the early records, both were fab. Later on, each gave in to his excesses.

Xtine Guest
    I think that is a tough question to answer....
    I am going to have to go with Lennon. I really enjoy his solo work.

Mark Guest
    Well both Lennon and McCartney are 2 of my favorite songwriters. While with the Beatles I say both, but I feel I prefer Paul McCartney solo better than John Lennon solo, I mean both are great while solo, but just McCartney I kind of dug a bit more. So I gotta McCartney. Although I am not really a fan of his newer stuff. No offence Paul, you gotta retire.

Fuck em both. I wish Paul had died rather than George. He was the best one.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

deathybrad Guest
    My hatred for Paul only stems from his marriages. Although Lennon is much more my flavor of music, Paul was a somewhat more "normal" guy in real life. I really enjoyed his SNL appearance with Chris Farley. I have found a place in my heart for Paul in light of his recent marital experience.

leevancleef Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Fuck em both. I wish Paul had died rather than George. He was the best one.
    You, bad boy, you!! George was amazing , i agree.