Thread: Louie Bellson

Louie Bellson

Legendary Drummer Louie Bellson passed away on Valentine's Day.

Here is the blurb from his wikipedia page...

Luigi Paulino Alfredo Francesco Antonio Balassoni (6 July 1924 â?? 14 February 2009[1]), better known by the stage name Louie Bellson (his own preferred spelling, although he is often seen in sources as Louis Bellson), was an Italian-American jazz drummer. He was a composer, arranger, bandleader, and jazz educator, and is credited with pioneering the use of two bass drums.[2] Bellson was an internationally-acclaimed artist who performed in most of the major capitals around the world. With the exception of Bob Hope, Bellson held, along with his late wife (1952-1990), actress and singer Pearl Bailey, the second highest number of White House appearances.

Biography

Louie Bellson was born in Rock Falls, Illinois in 1924 and started playing drums at three years of age. At age 15, he pioneered the double-bass drum set-up. His detailed sketch earned him an 'A' in his high school art class. At age 17, he triumphed over 40,000 drummers to win the Slingerland National Gene Krupa contest. In 1942, he performed with the Benny Goodman band and Peggy Lee in The Power Girl, the first of his many film appearances. Bellson was 24 and a veteran of a U.S. Army band when he joined Danny Kaye, Louis Armstrong, Tommy Dorsey, Lionel Hampton, Charlie Barnett, Benny Carter, Mel Powell, Kenny Dorharn, Harry Babasin, Al Hendrickson, Buck Washington, and Goodman for Howard Hawks' A Song Is Born. Between 1943 and 1952, Bellson performed with Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, Harry James, and Duke Ellington (for whom he wrote "Skin Deep" and "The Hawk Talks"). In 1952 he married Pearl Bailey (their marriage would last until her death in 1990) and left Ellington to be her musical director. Later in the 1950s and 1960s he performed with Jazz at the Philharmonic or J.A.T.P., Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey, Count Basie, Duke Ellington again, and Harry James again, as well as appearing on several Ella Fitzgerald studio albums.

He performed and/or recorded scores of albums (approximately 200) as a leader, co-leader or sideman with such renowned musicians and leaders such as Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, Harry James, Woody Herman, Norman Granz' J.A.T.P. (Jazz at the Philharmonic), and film composer John Williams. Over the years, Bellson took several bandleader's holidays to play under the direction of other leaders or to lead someone else's band. During the 1960s, he rejoined Ellington for his Emancipation Proclamation Centennial stage production, My People, the motion picture soundtrack of Assault on a Queen, and for what Ellington called "the most important thing I have ever done" â?? his Concerts of Sacred Music. In 1966, Bellson toured briefly with both Basie and ex-boss Harry James. A few years later, renowned drummer Buddy Rich (referred to by many as "the world's greatest drummer" over the years) paid Bellson a supreme drummer-to-drummer/bandleader compliment by asking him to lead his band on tour while he (Rich) was temporarily disabled by a back injury. Bellson proudly accepted. He also recorded extensively and led his own bands (occasionally maintaining separate bands on each coast). His sidemen have included Blue Mitchell, Don Menza, Larry Novak, John Heard, Clark Terry, Pete and Conte Candoli, and Snooky Young. He was equally effective as a big band drummer and as a small group drummer. In 2006 a new album appeared, The Sacred Music of Louie Bellson and the Jazz Ballet. In May 2007, Bellson recorded a number of his compositions and arrangements for big band, featuring Clark Terry on Flugelhorn, with Kenny Washington and Sylvia Cuenca on drums. The big band was manned by the members of Clark Terry's Big Band. The music was recorded in Studio A at Clinton Recording Studios in New York City. The resultant album, Louie and Clark Expedition 2 was released in January, 2008. Bellson led his own orchestra almost steadily for more than forty years. His last band was called the Big Band Explosion.

Guest Guest
    Another jazz great bites the dust! R.I.P Louie.

My dad was a huge fan of his and passed along his love of the music (and his records). What cinched Louie's coolness factor for me was the fact that he was married to Pearl Bailey!

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    My dad was a huge fan of his and passed along his love of the music (and his records). What cinched Louie's coolness factor for me was the fact that he was married to Pearl Bailey!
    And married a long time too! A nice change in showbiz!

rickenbacker Guest
    Why was this not bigger news? Jeez...great drummer. Where would we be without the double-bass kit?