Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123411 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 916

Thread: Karen Carpenter

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,747
    I was in the grocery store about 5 years ago and "Close to You" came on the muzac and I busted out laughing and people were staring. Was I the only one to get the irony of that situation?

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    932
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Well, IF he is, I think part of it stems from his career - altho he's mostly riding on Karen's coat-tails these days - and doesn't want to come out and then "taint" the Carpenters any further by admitting that he's Gay.

    But with all the interviews I've seen him do, he just seems to put off that "vibe" - maybe IF he is, he just keeps it all on the down-low...

    ...much like Tom Cruise does...oh did I just say that??
    NOT that there's anything wrong with that!

    Susan
    "Why does everything I whip leave me?"
    Homer to the universe-at-large
    The Simpsons Movie

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    CA USA
    Posts
    2,320
    Ahahaha roflmgdao...too funny and i got it the first time and its still way too early int he morning for me...my brain is still sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by star82 View Post
    HA! that is a good one..


    totally irrelevant,

    what is the opposite of Christopher Reeve?- Christopher Walken!
    You call me a bitch like it's a bad thing...I may be a bitch, but I am NOT YOUR bitch...I'm not A bitch, I'm THE bitch...

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Canton Ohio
    Posts
    705
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie Prody View Post
    I was in the grocery store about 5 years ago and "Close to You" came on the muzac and I busted out laughing and people were staring. Was I the only one to get the irony of that situation?
    No I completely get it! Lol!! When I read your post, I was cracking up!!

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by MIZIZVOGUE View Post
    I don't believe that Karen took her eating disorder seriously. Maybe if she had gotten into treatment earlier, she'd still be with us. Did you know that Harold Carpenter died on Richard's birthday in 1988? (October 15, 1988)

    Her disorder had other factors. Ohne she was in show business and two her mother constantly telling her she needed to lose weight. I never will understand why people always try to fix what's wrong with you. (I guess it's the plank verses the speck lol)
    Who Better to laugh at what's inapproriate than me? Politically incorrect people like myself enjoy undaunted humor.


    That lady was my grandma who past away 2 years ago. She was young and angry in this picture though lol. I guess someone needs to get out there and shovel.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Northeast, PA Farm Country!
    Posts
    1,060
    Quote Originally Posted by monroe27 View Post
    No I completely get it! Lol!! When I read your post, I was cracking up!!
    I don't get it....explain please?!

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Canton Ohio
    Posts
    705
    Quote Originally Posted by KristinEileen View Post
    I don't get it....explain please?!
    They were in a "grocery store" get it? Food. Ok anyways, I do love the carpenters music. Karen had a voice that no one can duplicate ( that I know of).

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,452
    I work in Downey where the Carpenter family lived. I know where the house is that she died in, and I know where the apartment houses are that were onced owned by her brother. I also drive by the hospital she died at, which is on Patton just south of Firestone. It freaks me out because everywhere you look is something to do with the Carpenters. I think her ghost wanders the streets of Downey.

    It was alluded to but never specifically talked about and certainly not publicized that Karen's core issue was the sexual abuse she suffered at the hands of her BROTHER. Eeeew, I would want to die too.

    Yes, at the time of her death, she was getting better. It was the constant starvation over time that had weakend her heart. Heart is muscle and when there's no fat to get energy from, the body starts eating away at the muscles. She was living with her parents at the time of her death.
    Any day above ground is a good day.

  9. #59
    I grew to love the Carpenters from listening to the Christmas album my mom played non-stop. My favorite song was Close to You though. I had to learn it in piano lessons and used to love to play it. I too think she wasn't serious about her disorder.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    583
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishlass View Post
    wasnt there rumors about something hinky going on in that house.

    I always thought her brother was a bit abnormally close to Karen.
    Richard is married to his cousin Mary. She is the daughter of Karen's Mom's sister. Freaky, if you ask me!!
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,423
    Quote Originally Posted by MIZIZVOGUE View Post
    Richard is married to his cousin Mary. She is the daughter of Karen's Mom's sister. Freaky, if you ask me!!
    Yikes! And they have a few kids too...ewww!

    Well, I guess "Incest is best" in this case - just trying to keep it all in the family...

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The Outer Limits
    Posts
    69
    Se *did* get a very nice compliment once.
    "Great voice, love."
    The compliment came from John Lennon.
    [SIZE=4]Peace,[/SIZE]

    Captain Kundalini

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,452
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Yikes! And they have a few kids too...ewww!

    Well, I guess "Incest is best" in this case - just trying to keep it all in the family...
    Holy shit! I hope for the sake of the kids that they weren't born with any genetic disorders. Wow, I didn't even know it was legal to marry your first cousin.
    Any day above ground is a good day.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    35

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by geekygirl View Post
    Holy shit! I hope for the sake of the kids that they weren't born with any genetic disorders. Wow, I didn't even know it was legal to marry your first cousin.

    Well, Technically, she isn't. She is the ADOPTED daughter of his aunt, so they are not blood related.
    However, in my opinion, that is still pretty gross.

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    583
    Quote Originally Posted by MoJo67 View Post
    Well, Technically, she isn't. She is the ADOPTED daughter of his aunt, so they are not blood related.
    However, in my opinion, that is still pretty gross.
    Out of ALL of the women that Richard could marry, why did he marry his cousin? I don't think there were any clear boundaries in the Carpenter household. That was probably a BIG part of Karen's problem.
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southeast US
    Posts
    7
    I read a book writen by Stevn Levenkron (or something like that). He was the eating disorder therapist who treated her in New York. He said she abused thyroid pills to speed up her metabolism. If I remember correctly, he said this was the first time he had ever heard of this and that is was extremely hard on the heart. She would be sweating profusely and her heart would be pounding.

    Very sad....

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    611
    For whatever reason, I never thought Karen Carpenter was the least bit attractive. I never knew about her anorexia, until she died, and became the face of the disease,

    I think Richard was/is a COMPLETE dick!

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    16
    I thought Richard was sexually abusing her as well, just by the vibe.

    But, another thread from years ago-- Death Hag Mail List?? -- mentioned that Karen was bisexual and had issues.

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    651
    You all have to watch this movie Todd Haynes made with Barbie dolls about Karen Carpenter called Superstar. It is unbelievably creepy in an awesomely effective way, and of course was never released due to objections from the Carpenter family and Mattel.

    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...30510713940545

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Mulhenny View Post
    You all have to watch this movie Todd Haynes made with Barbie dolls about Karen Carpenter called Superstar. It is unbelievably creepy in an awesomely effective way, and of course was never released due to objections from the Carpenter family and Mattel.

    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...30510713940545
    Thanks SO much for posting a link to that. I've wanted to see that one for years, but just didn't want to pay $30+ for a bootleg of it!

    Great stuff - loved it!

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    In a happy place!
    Posts
    21,260
    Well that's 43 minutes and 19 seconds of my life I'll never get back. What amateurish drivel trying to rise to relevance... pure mierda without the cherry on top.

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    651
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Thanks SO much for posting a link to that. I've wanted to see that one for years, but just didn't want to pay $30+ for a bootleg of it!

    Great stuff - loved it!
    Yer welcome!

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Melbourne Australia four seasons in one day
    Posts
    212
    Incest - a game the whole family can play!!!!!

  24. #74
    I think they started out really young as a professional team which bonded them closer than normal. I guess no one really understands fame and stardom less you live it. That is probably why they were so close. I really don't think any incest was going on...just a closeness.

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Concord , California, United States
    Posts
    7,032
    Funny about the Carpenters .... The Offering album depicted karen and Richard holding flowers and the album opened into a gatefold that showed the two standing in a cemetary with blank looks on their faces holding flowers. The left wing christians said that The Carpenters album had satanic vibes depicted on the Offering album cover and gatefold . Bowing to these people the album title was therefore changed to Ticket to Ride but the song tracks are the same. The Original Offering album ( if you can find it ) sells for over 500 dollars sometimes on ebay. True Story !




  26. #76
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    583
    I have every single album the Carpenters made plus the one Karen did by herself. That solo album isn't bad at all, but the powers that be, made Karen feel bad about it. It was never released until YEARS after her death.
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

  27. #77
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brasstown/Murphy, North Carolina (USA)
    Posts
    1,347
    Karen's death truly was a tragic loss for the music world...she is missed....
    "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's Heaven on Earth" - Mark Twain

  28. #78
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    646
    Quote Originally Posted by MIZIZVOGUE View Post
    I have every single album the Carpenters made plus the one Karen did by herself. That solo album isn't bad at all, but the powers that be, made Karen feel bad about it. It was never released until YEARS after her death.
    You know, her brother didn't like it either and he made that point known then and even (fairly) recently in an interview. That really pissed me off. With all her struggles and, hey-o, she died, he was still so uppity about her solo work. Cripes, just give her a break for once.

  29. #79
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    583
    Quote Originally Posted by SueWahoo View Post
    You know, her brother didn't like it either and he made that point known then and even (fairly) recently in an interview. That really pissed me off. With all her struggles and, hey-o, she died, he was still so uppity about her solo work. Cripes, just give her a break for once.
    Whenever I have seen Richard Carpenter in an interview, he seems to be majorly egotistical to me. That part of his personality may really have affected Karen. I think Richard was down right offended that Karen would make an album--solo--and try to have a go at it without him!
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

  30. #80
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,446

    Thanks Jenny!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Mulhenny View Post
    You all have to watch this movie Todd Haynes made with Barbie dolls about Karen Carpenter called Superstar. It is unbelievably creepy in an awesomely effective way, and of course was never released due to objections from the Carpenter family and Mattel.

    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...30510713940545
    Thanks for that link, Jenny! I/we just watched it....her story has always been heartbreaking. So sad that Richard wouldn't cooperate with the producer....even for a very good cause. I guess that in his world, it is more important to have his image & his folks & sister at the "best" cemetery.....I hope he won't have to relocate the entire family again.

  31. #81
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Lakewood, WA
    Posts
    3,270
    I'm going to have to watch this at home so I can actually hear/see it. At the end was that headline Overdose of ipecac caused singer's death? I thought she was recovering when she died?

  32. #82
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    583
    Quote Originally Posted by xenaswolf View Post
    I'm going to have to watch this at home so I can actually hear/see it. At the end was that headline Overdose of ipecac caused singer's death? I thought she was recovering when she died?
    You can go to your library and borrow the book, "The Carpenters", The untold story by Ray Coleman. Very, very good book for Carpenter fans.
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

  33. #83
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Minnesooooota!
    Posts
    9,876
    Quote Originally Posted by MIZIZVOGUE View Post
    Richard is married to his cousin Mary. She is the daughter of Karen's Mom's sister. Freaky, if you ask me!!
    Okay that is just gross. I had no idea about that. Did he wait until his mom died to marry her? I always thought he was strange. But I loved Karen's voice, just angelic.

  34. #84
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    3,186
    I always loved her voice..just smooth as silk..and I never liked Richard..always thought he was a selfish controlling jerk! Maybe he can't stand seeing the way he's portrayed on film because it makes him take a look at himself in the mirror! and for him to have moved her! that was the epitome of selfish!
    Zombie kitteh is Hungry!!

  35. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    I always loved her voice..just smooth as silk..and I never liked Richard..always thought he was a selfish controlling jerk! Maybe he can't stand seeing the way he's portrayed on film because it makes him take a look at himself in the mirror! and for him to have moved her! that was the epitome of selfish!
    I think Richard is an ass, but how is it selfish? It was his sister, mom and dad. When he moved he wanted them to be near him. Would I spend the money to do that? I don't know, but I don't see how it's selfish. His family not yours.

  36. #86
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cleveleys UK
    Posts
    1,975
    Just watched "The Karen Carpenter Story" on TV this afternoon, and as always, bawled like a baby....Such a bloody shame...she had the most wonderful voice....perfect!


    It'll be 25 years on Monday since she died...Hope she's at peace.

    You are missed, Karen!

    Ali xxx
    Inside me, there's a skinny woman fighting to get out....but I can usually shut the bitch up with chocolate

  37. #87
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    4,508
    Goog grief....that video was a piece of shit - had to turn it off !!!


    What fresh hell is this ? ~ Dorothy Parker

    ]

  38. #88
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,232
    Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post
    To steal a quote from a college friend of mine........going back a couple of decades...."God, I LOVE that skinny dead bitch!!!!" (not meaning that Karen was or that my friend Kim (who struggled with her weight) or I ever though of Karen as a bitch....just a saying. It stuck with me....now all of my favorite divas have been dubbed as "bitches" (Big-Nosed Bitch=Babs; Beach-Bitch=Bette; Bayou Bitch=Linda Ronstadt; Big Tit Bitch=Dolly; On-Going Heart Bitch=Celine; Cuban Bitch=Gloria....I could go on & on....but you get the point....and hopefully see the humor!)
    Hey I like that game! Let's see, who are some of my favorites....Judy Garland....hmmmm.....Ruby Slipper-Wearing Bitch? I'm not so good at this. Angelina Jolie....Adopting Bitch?

    Maybe this is a thread...
    Last edited by Noelle Page; 03-02-2008 at 07:37 AM.

  39. #89
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,232
    Wow, just watched the movie...had heard about it for years. Weirdly compelling. But boy, you can see why the family was upset. Now I can't help imagining "The Britney Spears Story" or "The Heath Ledger Story" (ducking) told that way.
    Last edited by Noelle Page; 02-02-2008 at 04:23 PM.

  40. #90
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,232
    Amy Winehouse--Beehive Bitch
    Julia Roberts--Pretty Bitch
    Diana Ross--Supreme Bitch
    Last edited by Noelle Page; 02-02-2008 at 06:00 PM.

  41. #91
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Posts
    524
    Oprah Winfrey - Larger-than-life Bitch

  42. #92
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Uptown Whittier
    Posts
    3,910
    Karen Carpenter died of an electrolyte imbalance. We are electro-chemical machines, and need a certain amount of electrical impulses to signal the heart to beat. This action can be tested by an electrocardiogram. Anorexio-Nervosa combined with Bulimia and messing with 'water pills' would be so hard on her. She had a gorgeous voice, even when singing some of her brother's silly material. She did put a face on Anorexia Nervosa, which is an indideous disease... I got anorexia, withNO binging and purging, just a loss of appetite and disinterest in food, and total anxiety at the supermarket.., after the death of my best friend. I've since recovered, but sill really miss my friend.

  43. #93
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,232
    Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelNutZipper View Post
    Oprah Winfrey - Larger-than-life Bitch
    Or....Oprah Winrey= O Bitch

  44. #94
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Hidium View Post
    Karen Carpenter died of an electrolyte imbalance. We are electro-chemical machines, and need a certain amount of electrical impulses to signal the heart to beat. This action can be tested by an electrocardiogram. Anorexio-Nervosa combined with Bulimia and messing with 'water pills' would be so hard on her. She had a gorgeous voice, even when singing some of her brother's silly material. She did put a face on Anorexia Nervosa, which is an indideous disease... I got anorexia, withNO binging and purging, just a loss of appetite and disinterest in food, and total anxiety at the supermarket.., after the death of my best friend. I've since recovered, but sill really miss my friend.
    She was the archetypal "good girl" anorexic. Wonder what triggered her?

  45. #95
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    She was the archetypal "good girl" anorexic. Wonder what triggered her?
    The pressure of staying thin after being called the "chubby sister" in an early concert review, her pushy and demanding brother and parents (Mom especially). All that is enough to push someone pretty fragile (emotionally) over the edge!

  46. #96
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,232
    Sounds right. I just meant there's often one incident or comment that sets it off--maybe the "chubby" review.

  47. #97
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bulldog Town
    Posts
    36,605
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    She was the archetypal "good girl" anorexic. Wonder what triggered her?
    I read somewhere that she was reading a magazine article about herself that had comments about how fat she was, and that triggered her eating disorder.

  48. #98
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,232
    Jeez, and we didn't even have internet back then. Think of what Britney Spears and all the others can read about themselves on a daily basis. Frightening.

  49. #99
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,232
    Ooo! I just realized the director of the KC Story, Todd Haynes, went on to make Velvet Goldmine and, just last year, "I'm Not There"--the Bob Dylan thing with Cate, Heath and others playing Bobby. Cant wait to see that last one. Wow, he certainly has an interesting take on real-life events.

  50. #100
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    6

    Nice voice but...

    Karen Carpenter had a nice voice but I thought she overdid the vibrato in many of her songs.....ha-a-a-ave u-u-uh ni-i-i-i-ce da-a-a-ay...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •