Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Karen Carpenter

free_open_air Guest
    Guys, you are all so sweet and so nice to be here! It's very interesting to discuss with you, whether we agree or disagree.
    Although Carpenters are not very popular in my country (unfortunately) I am a big fan of their music, and I think both Karen and Richard deserve the same credit. Without any of them there wouldn't be any of those wonderful songs that we love so much. What I want to say at the bottom line, is that I'm really sorry about what happened to Karen as much as all Karen's/Carpenters' fans are. But still, people shouldn't be guided by pure emotions, blamng entire world in this tragedy, especially her family. There is such a thing called a fate, a destiny, which is very often being extremely cruel and unfair, taking the best of us away. If we take a retrospective look, we'll see, there are a lot of celebrities who died young, (whether they came from good or bad families) so Karen's case wasn't a single one. Showbiz is extremely tough business, and it's very hard to survive there. Unfortunately, not all the people who get there - are able to make it.
    Last edited by free_open_air; 07-22-2009 at 01:42 PM.

crazedfemale Guest
    Here's an interview from NPR that aired today with Richard Carpenter:

The host though is a total beech:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=13

Pamebabby Guest
    Karen had a fantastic voice. Our class song was "We've Only Just Begun." I wasn't thrilled, at the time, but it's a beautiful song. I miss her and her huge talent.

John carpenter Guest
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0000337504-53294L.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	16714

Name:  kagl06.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  4.8 KB

Name:  Atrizes_KarenAllen.jpg
Size:  3.7 KB
    Do you see a resemblace between Karen Carpenter & Karen Allen?
    Last edited by John carpenter; 11-25-2009 at 04:46 PM.

I absolutely do. It's uncanny!

Handrejka Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by John carpenter View Post

Yes, there is a resemblance. Someone else who I think looks like her is Brooke Adams who was in Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I think Karen is a lot sweeter looking though.

Photos of Brooke here
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=...162679835&so=0

John carpenter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Handrejka View Post
    Yes, there is a resemblance. Someone else who I think looks like her is Brooke Adams who was in Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I think Karen is a lot sweeter looking though.

Photos of Brooke here
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=...162679835&so=0
    Yep her too Omg

Quote Originally Posted by John carpenter View Post

That is uncanny. Karen Allen should do a movie about Karen Carpenter. Even if she looks older now, there are all sorts of cosmetic and computer enhancing that a film-maker could use.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

9. 11-27-2009, 09:42 PM

New Book

There is a new Biogrpahy about Karen coming out in July. We are finally going to get Olivia going on the record.

Randy Schmidt's forthcoming biography of Karen Carpenter now has an Amazon page and a Facebook fan page:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1556529767?tag=amcorne-20&link_code=as3&creativeASIN=1556529767&creative=373489&camp=211189

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Little..._edit_sections[/url]

Since it is that time of year. This is my favorite Carpenter Xmas Song.
    Karen doing AVE MARIA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j76EYSvV_8k
    Last edited by coconn04; 12-21-2009 at 08:15 AM.
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

Just got their Christmas CD yesterday!

At Target for only $9.99.

12. 12-22-2009, 12:05 AM

trishsixxm Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshine74137 View Post
    My Karen Carpenter Impersonation
    I don't know you but I'm so glad you are well now. My heart goes out to you. I can't even imagine the hell you went through.

The Lucky One Guest
    I always thought Laura Branigan looked alot like Karen Carpenter at times.

Quote Originally Posted by siameseman View Post
    Interesting NPR interview. I think it is the best interview I've ever heard Richard Carpenter do. He sounded great.

I always thought Karen Allen and Brooke Adams kind of resembled Karen Carpenter too. I wish one of them would have played Karen in the Carpenters TV movie that came out years ago as I think it would have been a much better movie if they did.

Kimmell Guest
    Hi everyone.
    I'm new to your group.
    I live here in North Carolina, and have spentt many hours on the forums.

Back in 1982, our co-ed cheerleading squad won the state championship, and we got the chance to perform in California at Disney Land.
    There were many cheerleading squads from all over the US, and the event was held outdoors.
    After being at the event for several hours, my friend Page came up to me and stated that singer Karen Carpenter was in the audience.
    Not paying much attention to what she said, because it was the beginning of the 80's and Madonna, Duran Duran, and those awsome 80's groups were taking over, and I considered The Carpenters had pretty much faded away.
    (I had never heard about Karen's anorexia, or knew what anorexia really was.)
    I remember a while later, Page came up to me again and mentioned about going to speak to Karen Carpenter.
    I told Page Karen was probably lost in the million people at the park, but she said "Let's go find her."
    Tired, hot, and wanting to avoid chasing a singer I didn't want to meet, or not really interested in was taking my time to really have fun on the rides, and enjoying CA while I had the chance.
    Page spotted Karen and a woman she was with, I found out to be her mother.
    Page walked up to Karen and said hi, and told her our names.
    Karen was very sweet, and asked us where we were from.
    I told her I was from a small town in North Carolina, and this was my first time visiting CA and I will be heading off to college in the fall.

Karen was a very thin woman, tall I thought, because she was so "thin and elegant" as I put it when I tell people I met her.

When I found out that she passed as I was heading home to my parents house, it really hit me that only months before I had met this woman who was so sweet, elegant, and seemed to really enjoy meeting me, and telling me she enjoyed the cheerleading event, and wished me well in my future.
    I saw the photo of her on the cover of "People" magazine, and watched the news covering her death.

I look back and think of how this beautiful woman with such as caring smile had many problems of her own, coming to Disney where there are smiling children, color, and meeting new friends to get away from the sadness that was overtaking her.

You know, we see and meet so many people on the road through life, and have no idea what they are going through.
    It's easy to think they are okay.

I get a lump in my throat when I remember Karen saying, "It's so nice to meet you.
    Good luck on your journey."
    I believe it was meant for me to meet Page as a friend, and she introduced us to Karen Carpenter who put her sadness and troubles behind her for a few minutes to have me think, "She is a very pretty, have it all together woman who is very kind and elegant in the way she walks, talks, and looks you in the eye when she is speaking.

Rest In Peace Karen.
    My journey through life has been fun, full of laughter, tears, hurt, and full of your songs I listen to.

Gary in North Carolina

GrinReaper Guest
    If ya wanna make money in a death pool, always pick a rock star. Hardly any of 'em ever make it to old age.

Karen's has got to be one of the most unique deaths as far as rock/pop stars are concerned.

SueWahoo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmell View Post
    Hi everyone.
    I'm new to your group.
    I live here in North Carolina, and have spentt many hours on the forums.
    Wow, awesome first post, Gary. You're one lucky dude

crazedfemale Guest
    I know the author of Karen Carpenter's new book. Great guy and he has done a ton of research on the book.

Quote Originally Posted by free_open_air View Post
    Look at her shiny, glowing face when she is with him. How can anyone say that he made her miserable and treated her bad? It's so unfair. Richard possibly was the only person in her life that made her really happy, despite all the conflicts and disputes they might have had between them. Even in her latest photos, when she has already been heavily anorexic, in all pictures with him, she seemed the happiest woman in the world.
    Could be "Tears of a clown" synrome. I call it that due to smokey robinsons song "Tears of a Clown". She may have been sad/tortured on the inside and hiding it with a smile. Here are the lyrics:

Now if there's a smile on my face
    It's only there trying to fool the public
    But when it comes down to fooling you
    Now honey that's quite a different subject

But don't let my glad expression
    Give you the wrong impression
    'Cause really I'm sad, Oh I'm sadder than sad
    Well I'm hurt and I want you so bad
    Like a clown I appear to be glad ooh yeah

[Chorus:]
    Well they're some sad things known to man
    But ain't too much sadder than
    The tears of a clown when there's no one around
    Oh yeah, baby baby, oh yeah baby baby

Now if I appear to be carefree
    It's only to camouflage my sadness
    And honey to shield my pride I try
    To cover this hurt with a show of gladness
    But don't let my show convince you
    That I've been happy since you
    'Cause I need to go, oh I need you so
    Look I'm hurt and I want you to know
    For others I put on a show ...

[Chorus]

Just like Pagliacci did
    I try to keep my surface hid
    Smiling in the crowd I try
    But in a lonely room I cry
    The tears of a clown
    When there's no one around, oh yeah, baby baby
    Now if there's a smile on my face
    Don't let my glad expression
    Give you the wrong impression
    Don't let this smile I wear
    Make you think that I don't care

Kimmell Guest
    I was watching an interview on Hollywood actors years ago (I have it on vhs and will look for it.) where Hollywood actors and actresses were discussing Karen.
    Actress Bette Midler made several rude comments and jokes about Karen, actress Kate Jackson of "Charlie Angel's" fame stated that Karen had dated actor Tony Danza of "Who's The Boss".
    Kate said that Karen was a very talented singer, but she always looked like one of those polygamist wives who always has that simple look, wearing no make up, and who looks to be scared all the time.

Karen was not model perfect, and did not dress overly sexy.
    BUT, she was very cute, always smiling, and for people like Kate Jackson to make that comment, I find that some of our favorite actors and actresses can be very cruel.
    Not sure if Karen had one of those "Much-in-demand-Hollywood Stylists/Makeup Artists", or if she hired her own personal wardrobe and makeup personnel.
    Seriously, it would have looked awful, funny, and the media would have targeted her if she came on stage wearing loud make up, and looking like Bette Medler in her gay-bathhouse stage perfoemance days.
    (Sorry, I like Bette, but don't make rude jokes if you get mad when Barbara Walters asked you how you got started.)

I read in earlier posts that Karen would have been a good choice for the "Sandy" role in "Grease".
    I just watched her in the video, "Beechwood", and find that even with the backing dancers, and the soda shop set, she can't quite get into the role as a sweet 16-type girl.

Anyway, Karen had her own individuality.
    That's rare.

Kimmell

desertangel Guest
    Kate Jackson's description of Karen Carpenter came back to haunt her because now she's the one that looks scared all the time.

When I met Karen in 1971 I thought she was naturally beautiful, no make up. She was never very photogenic, unfortunately. Much prettier in person.

I was watching an interview on Hollywood actors years ago (I have it on vhs and will look for it.) where Hollywood actors and actresses were discussing Karen.
    Actress Bette Midler made several rude comments and jokes about Karen, actress Kate Jackson of "Charlie Angel's" fame stated that Karen had dated actor Tony Danza of "Who's The Boss".
    Karen was not model perfect, and did not dress overly sexy.
    BUT, she was very cute, always smiling, and for people like Kate Jackson to make that comment, I find that some of our favorite actors and actresses can be very cruel.
    Seriously, it would have looked awful, funny, and the media would have targeted her if she came on stage wearing loud make up, and looking like Bette Medler in her gay-bathhouse stage perfoemance days.
    (Sorry, I like Bette, but don't make rude jokes if you get mad when Barbara Walters asked you how you got started.)

Anyway, Karen had her own individuality.
    That's rare.

Kimmell
    Here is a picture of Bette Midler with the Carpenters when Bette won her Grammy. Bette has since had a lot of work since then.

Carpenters and Bette Midler
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

Kimmell Guest
    Has Karen's friend's, Olivia, Kristy McNichol and her brother Jimmy ever came forward and said how their relationship with Karen was.
    I know that Kristy truly cared for Karen.
    She stated several times that she wanted to appear more with Karen on variety shows, because Karen was such fun in comedy.

GrinReaper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by coconn04 View Post
    Here is a picture of Bette Midler with the Carpenters when Bette won her Grammy. Bette has since had a lot of work since then.

Carpenters and Bette Midler

Bette had the nerve to say that about Karen?
    Guess she doens't know what a mirror is.

Looking at this photo I'll take Karen over Bette. Any day of the week.

Has Karen's friend's, Olivia, Kristy McNichol and her brother Jimmy ever came forward and said how their relationship with Karen was.
    I know that Kristy truly cared for Karen.
    She stated several times that she wanted to appear more with Karen on variety shows, because Karen was such fun in comedy.

Kristy and her brother were not on the list of contributors to the new book coming out in July.

Here is the link to the contributors (if you don't recognize them, their name comes up when you pass you coursor over them)

http://www.facebook.com/#/album.php?...d=208296947178

Here is part of Olivia's comments.
    Little Girl Blue: The Life of Karen CarpenterRecent interview with ONJ. "She had a lot of child in her," Olivia said of Karen when I interviewed her earlier this year. "She loved childhood things. She was funny and she was quirky."

It was a phone interview. Randy might post it on his site eventually.

This is what Randy said about Richard's participation.

I tried to get Richard's participation back in 2004 or so. The response was that he has said all he wants to say in regards to Karen's personal life and that his focus is only on the music. All in all, it's turned out to be a better book without his participation, as he usually requires that he have all editorial control when participating in a project. Other than the "no," there was no attempt to stop the project. To answer your second question, the publisher acquired the cover photo through proper channels and paid the standard fees for its usage.
    Last edited by coconn04; 12-30-2009 at 07:33 AM.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

siameseman Guest
    Recently I was reading about the solo album Karen made and I found some interviews with some of the people she worked with on the album. They talked a bit about Karen and what she was like as a person.

Here are some excerpts from the interviews:

Russell Javors is a guitarist, singer and songwriter who played in Billy Joel’s backing band throughout the 70’s and 80’s. He wrote “All Because Of You” and “Still In Love With You” for Karen’s solo album as well as playing guitar on several tracks)

Question: Did Karen share any insights about her feelings on the album?

Russell Javors: I'm sure she did with Phil. I didn't get to spend too much time with Karen outside of the studio except for a dinner or two

Question: What was Karen's attitude or thoughts about "Still In Love With You"?

Russell Javors: I'm a little fuzzy on this, but to the best of my recollection...I have the feeling that this was not an easy song for her to sing. It was an attitude that she hadn't explored on her Carpenters songs. I think Phil asked her to try singing the word "love" differently. At one point I was actually in the vocal booth with Karen and I lip synched the lyrics while she was recording her vocal because she wanted to copy my phrasing. I was impressed at how hard she worked to put her stamp on it. Also, I was surprised at how softly she sang. Karen's voice was so rich and textured. Her voice was powerful without having to belt it out. The New York Times had an article on the album when it was finally released. There was mention that Agnes wasn't happy hearing her daughter singing lines like "I remember the first time I laid more than eyes on you". I thought it was cool that her mom remembered my song.

Question: What was your impression of Karen?

Russell Javors: I liked her. You can certainly learn a lot about a person when you are working so intimately with them. She always projected a warm, friendly aura. She was a nice person. She wasn't even remotely diva-like (flashy/temperamental) although she did have a wardrobe case full of matching Nikes and sweat suits in every color.

(Rob Mounsey’s bio is reads like a who’s who of popular music. He has written songs, produced, arranged and performed with more musicians than I can name. On Karen’s solo album he wrote and arranged “Guess I Just Lost My Head” (my personal favorite KC song) as well as playing keyboards on the song.)

Rob Mounsey: It was funny that the frequent four-letter-words from the musicians upset her... She told us that she really didn't like to hear the "F" word... She really was kind of a "good girl" – very typical of an anorexia sufferer – but she had a sense of humor about herself.

Rob Mounsey: I was so happy that she wanted to do my song... The only problem was that it was really a man's song to sing to a woman... The second line was "I was only watching the flower in your hair..." Not being a congenital lyricist I was stumped for a substitute line, and it was Karen who came up with "only trying to memorize you there,"

(Liberty DeVitto played drums on several Billy Joel albums throughout the 70’s and 80’s. DeVitto has had a very successful career as a drummer. He played drums on Karen’s solo album)

Question: Were there any specific guidelines set by Phil Ramone?

Liberty DeVitto: No cursing in the studio. We had to be on our best behavior cause now there was an L.A. lady in the studio with us

Question: How was this project unique from others you've worked on?

Liberty DeVitto: I fell in love with the singer.

Question: Yeah I guess Billy Joel really didn't appeal to you. You fell in love with Karen. Can you elaborate on this?

Liberty DeVitto: Think about being in love with a voice and then meeting that voice and the person carrying that voice is equally as beautiful.

Question: Did Karen share any insights about her feelings on the album?

Liberty DeVitto: She was ready to move on. Break free from the cutesy apple pie image.

Liberty DeVitto: Her voice is a reminder to all of us of what a beautiful person Karen was. I will always see Karen's smile no matter what song she’s singing.

(Louis Johnson is half of the funk/disco/jazz duo Brothers Johnson. They recorded for A&M Records in the 70’s and 80’s. Louis played bass guitar on some of the songs on Karen’s solo album)

Louis Johnson: I was a session player so when the Karen Carpenter called me I was shocked in many ways....one I truly loved Karen....I mean I loved her in all ways and I didn't think I could play with her cause she was so great to me.

Louis Johnson: I went to studio A at A&M and Karen was not there yet...I learned the tune fast and I did my part in one take and they said “we got it“ and I was done...I thought I would miss Karen cause I was finished...so.. I walked out of the studio.. went down the hall outside...and guess what...Karen was coming to the same door....haaaaa I tripped out.....I stood there in awe of her presence...then she smiled at me.. reached out her arms and gave me a huge big hug...sooo...I hugged her back...we hugged for a long time.. then I looked into her eyes...I saw some thing...like she was sad… her eyes were kind of pink but not so much.. I saw a tear from her eyes.. I asked her if she was ok.. she said yes I'm just so happy .... I said great and we sat down on the steps of A&M and talked for bout 3 or 4 hours....she told me her life story and I told her mine.. then I said lets go get a Fatburger… that was the last time I saw her eat.
    Louis Johnson: my session was over… and I didn't have a reason to be there any more and it was killing me to be there u know...so I left ..but before I left I told Karen I would always love her.. no matter what...we hugged and she called me after that at my house a couple of times… then she was gone...went to heaven....I was one of the last people to talk to her....her voice was incredible...there will never be a Karen Carpenter ever again impossible.. she had beautiful Lovely voice...Greatest human being I ever met in my life...and to this day I dream about her and I at the studio.. and I thank God that I had the chance to meet her.. let alone perform on her album...basically I handle all my sessions the same ..but hers was an exception... I became emotionally involved with Karen.
    Louis Johnson: Yes I felt romantic towards her.. same as I felt for Bjork...we met and the same thing happen ...we hugged a long time just like with Karen ... its their beauty that makes you fall in love with them automatically.. you cant help it.... I felt a romantic feeling towards them... but I knew it would be impossible.....so...I just enjoyed the time I spent with them....as friend.. and musician...

Not many people know this but the picture on Karen's "Voice Of The Heart" album was actually the one that was suppose to be on the cover of Karen's "official" solo album.

Last edited by siameseman; 07-25-2013 at 05:56 PM.

Rob Mounsey: It was funny that the frequent four-letter-words from the musicians upset her... She told us that she really didn't like to hear the "F" word... She really was kind of a "good girl" â?? very typical of an anorexia sufferer â?? but she had a sense of humor about herself.

Question: Were there any specific guidelines set by Phil Ramone?

Liberty DeVitto: No cursing in the studio. We had to be on our best behavior cause now there was an L.A. lady in the studio with us
    It funny about the cursing bothering her. It happened to be one of the last words that Karen Spoke.

These were the details of Karen's last night.

Karen showed an interest in eating. Having a shrimp salad and then wanting a taco on the way home to her parents. Her mother was very happy to see this. That night, After having a chance to re-listen to her solo album, Karen called Phil Ramone (producer) and this is part of their conversation as quoted in "The Carpenters: The Untold Story" by Ray Coleman:
    "Apprehensively she asked,
    'Can I use the f--- word?'
    'Yeah'
    'That album's f**ing great!'"

Well seeing how the Grammy Awards are coming up in about a week. This is a youtube clip of Karen's last appearance at the 25th anniversay event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VENK01pBTvI

These are the details of her day

January 28, 1983: Attended the Grammy's reunion(pictured below is the autographed banner from the 25th Anniversary. Karen's signiture if at the base of the award). Karen had mentioned seeing spots before her eyes at one point and also mentioned to her mom and Beverly Nogawski about her "thumping heart" shortly after her return from New York. On January 29th Karen mentioned again to Beverly about her heart pounding as if it was coming out of her chest. This occurred while doing a non-assertive task such as fixing her sink.During the day, she displayed upbeat spirits and high energy by running errands for friends. It is known that anorexic's, even when emaciated (skeletal), had bursts of high energy. It almost seems as if she was trying to convince all those around her that she was doing ok. Maybe even trying to convince herself. By evening, she spent her time laying down resting at home in her condo.
    Karen and Richard both attended the 25th Grammy Awards Anniversary Show. This is to be her last public appearance. Fans were happy to see Karen out and about. Back in the public eye. Many said she looked tired but as always, kept a great attitude and looked up and happy about her life to come. She told Diane Warwick... "I've got alot of living to do."

Edna St. Vincent Millay

jaylene Guest
    IMO Karen's voice made the Carpenters. I think
    that put alot of pressure on her and she just
    wasn't strong enough emotionally to handle it.
    Sometimes I think people develop eating disorders
    because they have no control and thats is something
    they can control. IDK I could be wrong. My daughter
    has issues with this and I can see that with her.

Wow - this chicks English is a little off, but her voice is eerily close....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwqAf...eature=related
    My Posse's On Broadway

CodeBlew Guest
    One thing Karen Carpenter was rarely given credit for was being a good drummer. You don't see many female drummers, and she did percussion on thier early releases.

Can you believe she's been gone 27 years ago tomorrow? What a voice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    Can you believe she's been gone 27 years ago tomorrow? What a voice.
    IT is interesting that the book about Karen coming out in July in called. "LITTLE GIRL BLUE".

Many famous female artists have covered this song.
    IT is a Richard Rodger and Lorenz Hart song that was used in the play and movie "Jumbo".

Janis Joplin changed the lyrics a little but here is her verison.
    This is Janis on the TOM JONES show in 1969.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVpDOIPx_sY

HERE is the KAREN Version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m3dbsnUtmU

Just sit there and count the raindrops
    Falling on you
    It's time you knew
    All you can count on
    Are the raindrops
    That fall on little girl blue

I'm sad to say I missed her -- the anniversary of the death of Karen Carpenter, who died on February 4 back in 1983
    Last edited by coconn04; 02-04-2010 at 07:18 AM.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

Handrejka Guest
    IT is interesting that the book about Karen coming out in July in called. "LITTLE GIRL BLUE".

Many famous female artists have covered this song.
    IT is a Richard Rodger and Lorenz Hart song that was used in the play and movie "Jumbo".

Janis Joplin changed the lyrics a little but here is her verison.
    This is Janis on the TOM JONES show in 1969.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVpDOIPx_sY

HERE is the KAREN Version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m3dbsnUtmU

Just sit there and count the raindrops
    Falling on you
    It's time you knew
    All you can count on
    Are the raindrops
    That fall on little girl blue

I'm sad to say I missed her -- the anniversary of the death of Karen Carpenter, who died on February 4 back in 1983
    I live Karen's version of this. It's one of her finest performances I think.

I remember watching their variety show when it came on in the 70's. Good times!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

35. 02-06-2010, 08:11 PM

siameseman Guest
    I love Karen's version of Little Girl Blue as well.

And it is hard to believe its been 27 years since Karen passed away. I still remember watching TV back then and hearing the news that Karen had died. I was completely shocked.
    Such a talented lady who is missed by so many people.

Here is an article I recently found that was in the Downey Patriot newspaper last Christmas. It has an update on what happened to Karen's family home (this is also the house where Karen passed away). I'm quite surprised that the city of Downey didn't purchase the house.

Konjoyan preserves Karen's legacy
    by Christian Brown, Staff Writer
    Dec 25, 2009

In the 1970s, Jon Konjoyan idolized Karen Carpenter, but never dreamed that 30 years later he would lead a campaign to save her iconic home.
    After moving to Downey in 1963, Karen and her brother garnered worldwide success with such hits as “We’ve Only Just Begun” and “Close to You,” a few written inside their Downey home.

“There’s no one like her,” said Konjoyan, a radio promoter who worked at A&M Records in the 1980s. “It’s interesting that Karen's music still has relevancy – 26 years after her death.”

In 1973, Karen featured her Newville Ave. home on the front of the best-selling album, “Now and Then,” driving fans to visit the two-story home ever since.

“To someone who’s not a fan, that house has no meaning,” said Konjoyan, 52. “But to the fans, it has significance.”

Once current owners, Manuel and Blanca Melendez Parra, made plans to raze the home, fans rallied the Parra family to save the building.

Konjoyan learned of the demolition while attending an estate sale hosted by the Parra family in 2007.

“They were selling a lot of things said to be owned by Karen's family,” said Konjoyan. “I heard there were plans to raze the house and build something new there.”

After sending the news out to everyone on his e-mail distribution list, Konjoyan was contacted by the Los Angeles Times. In 2008, the Times published an article, featuring a photograph of Konjoyan standing in front of the house holding a copy of Karen's “Now and Then” record album.

“I thought the story would appear on the back page of the Calendar section,” he said. “I never thought it would be on the front page of the paper.”

Konjoyan said he was contacted by the Downey Historical Society, who expressed concern, citing that no city ordinance existed to protect such buildings.

The campaign sought to have the house purchased or declared a landmark to save it from demolition, however, the Parras continued with their plans and half of the house, which occupied two lots, was tore down.

The main portion of the home, where Karen Carpenter died in 1983, is still intact.

“Karen's brother is not interested in saving the house,” said Konjoyan. “But what should be remembered is the music – The Parra family owns the house and I respect that.”

Her brother sold the house in 1997.

Konjoyan assures that he will continue to preserve the history of Karen Carpenter.

“Tourist from all over the world still come to see that house,” said Konjoyan. “It’s 2009, but Karen still had a number one album in Japan this year. A lot of people still care. She was a longtime Downey resident – Downey should be proud of that.”
    Last edited by siameseman; 06-14-2013 at 01:37 AM.

I dont see why the house is so important.
    Its 60s tract housing not a UNESCO Word Heritage site.
    Lets be realistic.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    I dont see why the house is so important.
    Its 60s tract housing not a UNESCO Word Heritage site.
    Lets be realistic.
    Graceland is like a time capsule its period. Carpenter fans also thought the Downey Home was as well.

these people bought the house intact from agnes with all the Carpenter's furniture for the purposes of showing the house to tourists...I think at some point the owners changed their mind on that one.

If that home was in peril, it's because Carpenter sold it to the Parras.

Richard sold the house supposedly with a lot of Carpenters memorabilia still inside, not to mention the furniture etc.
    Maybe it all meant nothing to him? It was the house they bought for their parents and is where they lived even after Karen died and he moved away. It should have been preserved.

[TVparty viewer Sal Gomez Made a home video of a trip through the Carpenter's Newville Avenue.
    Its not very good video but here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eaoo...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LgtG...eature=related

Richard Carpenter continued to live in Downey California (a very middle class neighborhood) until 2000.
    The Newville house and Richard's home were both extensively decorated for the Christmas holiday seasons over the years so you could infer that their specials were true to their feelings for Christmas.

Richard stayed in Downey to be near his mother until she passed away, he left Downey in the summer of 2000 to live in his new home in Thousand Oaks.

Supposedly this is what the house looked like when the new owners had it for a while.

I do find the reindeer tacky. I was wondering if those owners kept their Holiday Christmas lights up.
    Last edited by coconn04; 02-08-2010 at 08:44 AM.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

You know I can understand that Richard wanted to sell the house. What I DON'T understand is how he could leave all of the belongings, right down to Karens own bed - that is just weird to me. The house cool, but the contents, I couldn't leave behind. If HE didn't want them he could have auctioned the contents and possibly donated the proceeds to an Anorexia Foundation in Karens name. Something is just weird there.
    My Posse's On Broadway

http://www.joespub.com/component/opt...d,4983#chatter

Some places are gearing up for Karen's 60th birthday next week.
    Joe's Pub in New York City have a concert venue called ' The Loser Club' that puts on Tribute Bands.

Show Description

The Losers Lounge Tribute to Karen Carpenter: A 60th Birthday Celebration!!! Come join the Losers Lounge as they celebrate Karen Carpenter’s 60th birthday by recreating The Carpenter’s greatest songs live: We’ve Only Just Begun, Superstar, Rainy Days and Mondays, On Top of The World, Yesterday Once More, Goodbye To Love, and all of your favorites. Featuring performances by Joe McGinty, the Kustard Kings, The Losers Lounge strings and horns, backup singers “S.T.C.”, and all of the talented and unusual guest performers that can only be found at The Losers Lounge. February 25, 26 and 27th, at Joe’s Pub.

Here is the poster they are using to advertise. I thought it was out of taste at first but its just a satire on the name of the venue. I like the 8-track.
    " They were such happy times and not so long ago"

Edna St. Vincent Millay

Giada Guest
    I had no idea she sang Little Girl Blue, an old standard. I have it with Rondstadt.

The book title seems a perfect fit.

This is news from 'Little Girl Blue'

Karen would have turned 60 today... her childhood friends from New Haven held a special birthday dinner in her memory this past weekend at the home of Frank Bonito. "Karen did not age, unfortunately," he told me in a recent email. "We can only imagine our beloved Karen at 40, 50 or 60."

many of us should take time to think about Karen Carpenter and enjoy her music.

And Happy Birthday to you Joplinfk.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

siameseman Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by coconn04
    It funny about the cursing bothering her. It happened to be one of the last words that Karen Spoke.
    I'm sure it was..

Last edited by siameseman; 02-10-2015 at 08:45 PM.

siameseman Guest
    Here is an article about Karen that came out in the Downey Patriot newspaper today.

Karen Carpenter would have been 60

by Jon Konjoyan
    Mar 05, 2010

It’s hard to imagine Karen Carpenter as a “senior citizen,” but March 2 marked what would have been her 60th birthday. (She died February 4, 1983. She was 32.)

Today we remember Karen for her remarkable gift to the music world, and for her influence on so many contemporary artists, from Madonna and Chrissie Hynde to Sonic Youth and Gwen Stefani. But we also remember Karen as she wanted to be remembered, as a good person. She once said about her music: “I want to be remembered for my contribution to music. That’s the main thing in my life: to present what comes from within me through my music. I want to be remembered as a good musician and nice person.”
    Interest in Karen's music continues to grow. Last year marked the 40th anniversary of her signing to A&M, and her commemorative CD release, “40/40,” hit #1 in Japan. Meanwhile, a fantasy novel about Karen called “Leave Yesterday Behind” was published, while a new book about Karen by Randy Schmidt, “Little Girl Blue,” is due this summer.

If you grew up in the ‘70’s, Karen Carpenter's music was part of the soundtrack of your life. For the 1973 liner notes of “The Singles” hits collection, Digby Diehl wrote: “Although she had been recording for only four years, it is already difficult to remember a sunny afternoon at the beach without her.” It was true. In that pre-YouTube, MySpace and iTunes era, when radio was virtually the only place to hear new music, her hits played non-stop from 1970 through about 1977. Her 1978 Christmas album became a modern classic and is a holiday airplay staple to this day. In 1981, she returned to the Top 40 one last time before her untimely passing.

Because Karen’s voice was ubiquitous, many people took it for granted. But she received well-deserved accolades from many of her peers, some of which are worth noting here. John Lennon once told her “You’ve got a fabulous voice,” while Paul McCartney reportedly called it “the best female voice in the world—melodic, tuneful, and distinctive.”

What made the voice so distinctive? A&M Records’ top brass Herb Alpert, who signed her, believed that Karen was drawing from her “dark side” when she sang. “A common trait in all great performers, instrumentalists or singers,” Alpert said, “is that great quality that tugs at your heart. It doesn’t come from that bubbly, ‘up’ side of their personality. It always comes from their undercurrent of reality.”

Composer Henry Mancini said “Karen had a quality about her that was so vulnerable, so exposed that she just demanded attention.” He believed this is because “whatever she sang came right from the heart.” Her voice, he concluded, was “the manifestation of everything within her. Maybe if she had more self-esteem, it wouldn’t have been the same voice.”

Journalist Paul Lester wrote: “Karen was the finest female singer of her generation, possessed of perfect pitch, able to soar between octaves in a single verse. (She had) that rare ability to share moments of incredible intimacy with the listener, to sound as though she was singing just for you.”

Pop music historian Paul Grein agreed: “If you made a checklist of the qualities of a great singer, Karen had them all: tremendous presence, a natural, conversational ease, and impeccable intonation and control. But a checklist couldn’t begin to capture the emotion that she put into everything she sang. Karen had a remarkable facility for peeling away the outer layers of a song and getting to its core. And once she located a song’s essential truth, she would relate it as if she were singing just to you.”

Happy Birthday, KC. We miss you.

Jon Konjoyan is a music promoter and journalist.
    Last edited by siameseman; 07-01-2013 at 11:13 PM. Reason: picture

Today we remember Karen for her remarkable gift to the music world, and for her influence on so many contemporary artists, from Madonna and Chrissie Hynde to Sonic Youth and Gwen Stefani. But we also remember Karen as she wanted to be remembered, as a good person.
    I find it interesting that Barry keeps recording songs that Karen sang. From what I know...he once dated her.....and she often stopped into the studio when he was recording. I am sure it never got beyond the holding hand stage if you know what I mean.

Barry included 'We've only Just Begun' in his latest recordings.

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...-begun/6cv64v2

Edna St. Vincent Millay

siameseman Guest
    From what I know...he once dated her.....and she often stopped into the studio when he was recording. I am sure it never got beyond the holding hand stage if you know what I mean.
    I never knew that Karen often stopped by the studio when Barry was recording.

Lately I've been listening to Karen's solo album and I really think that if it had been released in 1980 like it was suppose to have been it would have had a few hit songs on it. The song "make believe its your first time" is one of my all time favorite songs that Karen sang and is a classic in my opinion. I really wish her CD had the original picture it was suppose to have on the cover as it was perfect for her album.

Karen Carpenter: Make Believe its Your First Time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcIp0mWaGPc
    Last edited by siameseman; 12-20-2012 at 07:19 PM.

crazedfemale Guest
    I am going to the release party of "Little Girl Blue" in Dallas on June 25. Can't wait to celebrate with my friend Randy Schmidt and others. It should be a great event.

Fancynancy Guest
    I remember when she died--I remember this just SHOCK. I don't think I heard it until late in the day--our townused to put out a morning paper and an evening paper, and I always ordered the evening version because i knew i could get the morning's news. I think I dropped whatever I was holding when they said it was a heart attack.
    She had the most silky, soothing voice. sometimes I would just stop and listen to the way she sang, and just revel in it. As far as rock singers or pop singers, I think she and Ann Wilson are the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Fancynancy View Post
    I remember when she died--I remember this just SHOCK. I don't think I heard it until late in the day--our townused to put out a morning paper and an evening paper, and I always ordered the evening version because i knew i could get the morning's news. I think I dropped whatever I was holding when they said it was a heart attack.
    She had the most silky, soothing voice. sometimes I would just stop and listen to the way she sang, and just revel in it. As far as rock singers or pop singers, I think she and Ann Wilson are the best.
    She is very soothing. Listening to her is therapeutic.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Barry Manilow was contacted for input finto the Karen Book but his management never got back to Randy.

Here is the new website for the the Karen book.

http://www.karencarpenterbiography.com/

I read the excerpt that Randy had on the website and I thought this was interesting. It had to do with Karen's solo album.

During these initial stages, Ramone extended an invitation to friend Rod Temperton to come to New York to write for Karen.

The former keyboardist for the funk/disco band Heatwave accepted and moved into Ramone's guest house with only a keyboard and a set of headphones in tow. "All you had to do was make coffee and give him cigarettes," says Itchie. "Our house became this big musical commune."

Temperton offered Karen several of his own compositions, including "Off the Wall" and "Rock with You," but at that point the songs were just grooves at the piano, still in their most raw form.

She declined both charts, saying they were too funky. According to Itchie, "Everyone else loved the idea," but the project was young and lacked direction. Within a few months, Ramone introduced Temperton to Quincy Jones when the two attended a barbecue held at the home of the pop music titan, and the songs were soon pitched to Michael Jackson.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

siameseman Guest
    I also read the excerpt pages that are on the website. The details about the TV movie I found to be especially interesting and telling of a lot of things.

From what I've read so far it seems that there aren't too many things in it that will be all that surprising to a lot of people. Karen seems to be described basically just as most people imagine her to be and her parents are described pretty much the same as they appear as well. No doubt a large number of "things" were left out to protect that certain other individual in her family so that huge part of Karen's life won't be known publically for quite a while yet. I'm glad that people felt somewhat free to talk about Karen's parents and husband now so at least this part of things will mostly be known.

One thing that I've noticed that seems to come up both in this book, youtube, and in articles I've read etc is that there appears to be a deep hostility towards Karen from a certain person that knew her. Its almost like they can't deal with the fact that she was the reason for the success of her Karen Carpenter music even though she clearly was and that she gets a lot of the attention. Its like some type of extreme form of jealousy and it is very noticeable.

I think I read or heard one of Karen's managers or lawyers say that Karen should have been known as a solo artist right from the start or something to that effect (which is what she really was anyway) and I wonder if maybe she should have been. Karen (and her singing) it seems were viewed as just something to be used and abused by a certain person around her and in their mind she shouldn't have got the recognition or been the star. If she had been known as a solo singer like Barbra Streisand, Olivia Newton John and Petula Clark etc were no one would have been able to treat or view her that way.

I really think Karen was in a bad situation in many ways and just didn't live long enough to be able to deal with it all. Its all quite sad and very strange.

Last edited by siameseman; 06-26-2012 at 05:45 PM.

crazedfemale Guest
    Randy's book signings include the elementary school where Karen went to school in New Haven, CT. Her former classmates and some former teachers will be there. He's got a great summer lined up - hope he makes the TV circuit in New York/Los Angeles.

There was some discussion of whether RIchard's wife was adopted or a blood cousin.
    It turns out that the "Little Girl Blue" book was already released in some store.
    I will correct myself if I was wrong here but it does happen that they were blood cousins.

THis is what Randy has on his site.
    The rumor of her being adopted surfaced online several years ago and many people seem to have believed that. But the truth lies in the fact that it WAS a huge issue for the family and that there was even the need for special blood tests (as described in the book by Karen "Itchie" Ramone. I do wish I had found out more about what Agnes thought. That was in my notes for another conversation with Evelyn, but I ran out of time.

Edna St. Vincent Millay